Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Non FR Novels for Big FR Novel fans?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MerrikCale Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 02:15:08
If you are a big forgotten realms novel fan, what non-FR novels would you recommend and why?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 21 Apr 2007 : 10:14:10
I have to agree with both the THO and Faraer -- Stardust is looking to be an intriguing adaptation of Neil's original work. I've heard he's also managed to slip in a few bits into the film from his original manuscript that never actually made it [fully] into the book itself. I think we're in for a real treat.
Jorkens Posted - 21 Apr 2007 : 09:24:36
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The World of Tiers were an inspiration to Roger, too; he once wrote that the Amber books were in part an exploration of another, more "fantasy" way to explore the same "different worlds power struggle" that PJF did in the World of Tiers books.
BTW, fans of Neil Gaiman should watch out for the movie version of his fantasy novel Stardust, due out this summer. A swords-n-airships romp, with Michelle Pfeiffer as the lead villainess (the witch Lamia; lots of spellhurling), Robert de Niro as an air-pirate captain, Peter O'Toole as the dying king, Ricky Gervais doing a comic turn as Ferdy the Fence, Clare Danes as the "fallen star" heroine, and so on. I've only seen an extended trailer thus far, but it looks like visual fun at the very least (there's a website, but I can't use a work computer to explore it, thanks to our multiple and very proactive firewalls). Ed saw the same trailer and said, "Popcorn-spiller for me! Whenever I see those sorts of swordfights, I want to reach down one of my blades from the wall and join in!"
love,
THO

You also get the scheming godlike siblings that Zelazny took a step further than Farmer. The gates are also an element they have in common. I seem to remember Ed referring to these in an old Dragon article. There is an introduction to The Gates of Creation by Zelazny in the TOR version where he talks about his reaction to the books as a reader.

Faraer Posted - 21 Apr 2007 : 02:24:42
I joined in against the orcs, in the front of a cinema watching the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings, when very young.

Neil seems genuinely pleased with how the Stardust adaptation is turning out. There's less swordplay than the trailer suggests. Have you seen MirrorMask? Have a look at the short films The Butterfly of Love and Tyger, on the 2 April 2007 entry of his blog.
The Hooded One Posted - 21 Apr 2007 : 02:15:56
The World of Tiers were an inspiration to Roger, too; he once wrote that the Amber books were in part an exploration of another, more "fantasy" way to explore the same "different worlds power struggle" that PJF did in the World of Tiers books.
BTW, fans of Neil Gaiman should watch out for the movie version of his fantasy novel Stardust, due out this summer. A swords-n-airships romp, with Michelle Pfeiffer as the lead villainess (the witch Lamia; lots of spellhurling), Robert de Niro as an air-pirate captain, Peter O'Toole as the dying king, Ricky Gervais doing a comic turn as Ferdy the Fence, Clare Danes as the "fallen star" heroine, and so on. I've only seen an extended trailer thus far, but it looks like visual fun at the very least (there's a website, but I can't use a work computer to explore it, thanks to our multiple and very proactive firewalls). Ed saw the same trailer and said, "Popcorn-spiller for me! Whenever I see those sorts of swordfights, I want to reach down one of my blades from the wall and join in!"
love,
THO
Faraer Posted - 20 Apr 2007 : 21:20:14
I confess I haven't read them yet. But Ed at least has mentioned them as one of the major inspirations (alongside Roger Zelazny's Amber) for high-level manoeuvring in the Realms.
Jorkens Posted - 20 Apr 2007 : 12:13:49
Just curious; has anyone mentioned Philip Josè Farmers World of Tiers novels? Fast-paced, entertaining and interesting setting. What more could one ask for in an adventure novel. These would probably be categorized as Science Fantasy but the fantasy elements are dominating. TOR re-published them in two volumes a couple of years ago.
The Hooded One Posted - 20 Apr 2007 : 02:43:34
Great recommendations, Faraer.
I'd just like to echo three of Ed's earlier ones: THE FACE IN THE FROST by John Bellairs, TIGANA by Guy Gavriel Kay, and especially A SONG FOR ARBONNE (also by Kay). I asked Ed for some new recommendations, but he just groaned, pointed to the pile of over 400 books that have come from publishers in the last few days, trying to persuade him that their books are worthy of World Fantasy Awards, and shook his head. Then he turned the other way, and pointed at the pile of receipts and papers that are his taxes, and groaned again. Louder.
love to all,
THO
P.S. MerrikCale, if you don't like Ed's style when writing Realms books (and I hope you'll peek at SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE when it comes out, this fall, because Ed's style is shifting somewhat), you owe it to yourself to check out his DARK WARRIOR RISING from Tor Books (out this September) and his DARK LORD from Black Library/Solaris (Simon & Schuster distributes, in the USA), also due out in September; trot off to a public library if you don't want to spend coins on hardcovers you might not like. Ed's writing those in different styles, and they're GOOD.
The Sage Posted - 20 Apr 2007 : 01:24:02
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Just out, The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien -- the First Age story of Túrin Turambar put together by Christopher Tolkien as a seamless novel (and aimed particularly at Lord of the Rings readers unfamiliar with the Silmarillion or alienated by its elegiac compression).
Ah, yes... my copy should arrive today.

Which means now I'll have to hurry and finish everything else I'm reading at the moment.
Faraer Posted - 20 Apr 2007 : 01:13:50
Just out, The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien -- the First Age story of Túrin Turambar put together by Christopher Tolkien as a seamless novel (and aimed particularly at Lord of the Rings readers unfamiliar with the Silmarillion or alienated by its elegiac compression).

Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising sequence, 'young-adult' fantasy of the greatest weight, humanity and power. (Read it before the publicity that'll fall with the forthcoming movie adaptation.)

Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood and everything since: extremely accomplished British hard fantasy, i.e. that treats mythic archetypes as hard SF does science.

Both Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith are being republished in very nice editions: including Del Rey's Howard series, and Night Shade Books' collected Smith volumes, or try the best-of The Return of the Sorcerer.

C.J. Cherryh's underappreciated Morgaine novels... Powers and Blaylock, definitely (I'm rereading On Stranger Tides on public transport)... enough for now.
J D Dunsany Posted - 21 Mar 2007 : 06:38:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. . . And afterwards, sprawled languidly, they read their books . . .
love to all,
THO

Great image!
laethyn Posted - 21 Mar 2007 : 04:13:56
Simon R. Green's "Blue Moon Rising" was absolutely fantastic IMO.

And the old "Tribe of One" Darksun Trilogy by Simon Hawke was great as well
The Hooded One Posted - 21 Mar 2007 : 03:21:47
. . . And afterwards, sprawled languidly, they read their books . . .
love to all,
THO
J D Dunsany Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 16:29:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Despite all the great recommends on this list, I'm taking Charles de Lint's THE ONION GIRL with me to read while on mini-vacation/honeymoon. Haven't had a good de Lint break in a while....

Admittedly, I've not yet taken the plunge into marriage (I've not yet popped the question, but I've almost got her convinced that I really want to be married by an Elvis impersonator! )... But I'd think the honeymoon was for activities other than reading.

Don't you believe it! I took three novels with me on my honeymoon and managed to finish them all!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 16:16:58
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Despite all the great recommends on this list, I'm taking Charles de Lint's THE ONION GIRL with me to read while on mini-vacation/honeymoon. Haven't had a good de Lint break in a while....

Admittedly, I've not yet taken the plunge into marriage (I've not yet popped the question, but I've almost got her convinced that I really want to be married by an Elvis impersonator! )... But I'd think the honeymoon was for activities other than reading.
Gruen Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 14:53:25
I echo many when I (also) suggest Neil Gaiman. I didn't see a specific mention, however, to Neverwhere. That was one of my favorites (along with Good Omens).

Somewhere I had read that he promises a follow-up novel to Neverwhere. That would certainly top my 'must read' list.

Gruen
Steven Schend Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 12:01:01
All this and no recommends for James Blaylock?

The ones I've enjoyed the most are THE DIGGING LEVIATHAN and LORD KELVIN'S MACHINE.

If you like Tim Powers (and you know you should ), you'll like Blaylock. The two are pals and collaborators both under their own names or as the collective William Ashbless.

J D Dunsany Posted - 19 Mar 2007 : 12:22:19
Lots of good recommendations already, but the following struck me as being impressive when I read them:

The Warrior Who Carried Life by Geoff Ryman
Dawnthief (and its subsequent follow-up novels) by James Barclay
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (haven't had the courage to read any of the others - they're so huuuuge!)

The Ryman is a great book, challenging the assumptions of a lot of epic fantasy, simply by having the main protagonist be a woman who turns into a man in order to complete the 'quest' that is the matter of the story. A bit weird in places, but recommended.

Barclay writes Gemmell-esque, muscular fantasy, with a nice line in dry humour. The political system of the world he's constructed is well-drawn, and the characters are well-written enough to transcend the stereotypes they're obviously based upon.

Erikson's a writer I'd like to read more of - his prose style works and his plotting is satisfyingly intricate with a really big payoff at the end. It's very long though - which might not be to everyone's taste.

Add to the list the obvious recommendations of Herbert, Lovecraft... Did anyone mention Aldiss' 'Helleconia' series? There's tons of stuff out there. Some of it's very good indeed.

Oh, and Silverberg's Majipoor books. 'Lord Valentine's Castle' is amazing!

Right, I'll stop now.

Cheers!

JDD
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2007 : 03:55:46
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Just an update. I read Feist's "Silverthorn".

Did you follow it up with A Darkness at Sethanon? I like that one a lot better.
MerrikCale Posted - 15 Feb 2007 : 01:53:08
Just an update. I read Feist's "Silverthorn". Pretty good. Read Gemmell's "Winter Warriors", amazing.
Enialus Meliamne Posted - 31 Jan 2007 : 09:14:39
quote:
Originally posted by thekosta

A couple that I'd like to throw out there that I like is

Terry Goodkind The sword of truth series

I just started this series two evenings past. I decided it was high time to expand my book collection, when a friend of mine mentioned he wouldn't read these because he couldn't get into them, and his mentioning that he didn't have room in his packaging to ship them to his next assignment. I said, sure I'll take a look at them man. Picked up the first, then said, "I'm going to enjoy these". Glad I picked them up, and from what I've read of them so far, this series is going to be one of my favorites.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2007 : 07:11:39
quote:
Originally posted by Zaknafein

The Shannara Trilogy - Terry Brooks

VERY long and in-depth but very good nonetheless.

I'm not a fan of his original trilogy. I enjoyed Elfstones, but even it was a bit formulaic. The other two books of the trilogy also contain some excellent original material, as does Elfstones, but too closely mirrored the Lord of the Rings to truly shine.

Oh, and the way the companions mis-interpreted Bremen's prediction in Sword has always irritated me. Their interpretation simply does not match what was said. I can't see how that conclusion was reached.
Zaknafein Posted - 29 Jan 2007 : 04:50:50
The Shannara Trilogy - Terry Brooks

VERY long and in-depth but very good nonetheless.

I'm really torn by Dragonlance...I've never even tried to get into them but it does interest me some, but I don't want it to pull me away from FR. haha
camm91 Posted - 27 Jan 2007 : 13:36:46
Wow, noone's mentioned Asimov's foundation series yet?! :0

I'd really love to recommend

Cecelia Dart Thornton - Bitterbynde Trilogy
Sara Douglass - Axis trilogy
Katherine Kerr - Deverry trilogy (freaking awesome!)
Ian Irvine (Lengthy but well worth it)

Jean M Auel - Clan of the cave bears children of the earth series!

Any of these wont dissapoint :) give em a burl!
Faraer Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 18:15:20
Here's Ed Greenwood's answer to "Who are your favorite authors now?" in 2005:
quote:
Those still living (hoping I don’t jinx anyone, and just in the order they come to mind): Guy Gavriel Kay, Terry Pratchett, Spider Robinson, Patricia McKillip, Robin McKinley, Julian May, Dana Stabenow, Catherine Aird, Jack Vance, Katherine Kurtz, Ursula K. LeGuin, Caroline Stevermer, Steven Brust (the Khaavren romances), Alexei Panshin (the Anthony Villiers books), Julian May, Peter S. Beagle (The Folk of the Air), George R.R. Martin, Lynn Abbey, Elaine Cunningham—and yes, I could go on!

And the late greats: Roger Zelazny, Lord Dunsany, P. G. Wodehouse, J.R.R. Tolkien, Fritz Leiber, Leslie Charteris, Clark Ashton Smith, Randall Garrett (the Lord Darcy stories), Colin Watson (the Flaxborough novels), Edith Pargeter (“Ellis Peters”), John Bellairs (The Face In The Frost), Avram Davidson, Lin Carter (his never-completed Khymyrium fragments), James H. Schmitz, Kyril Bonfiglioli (the Charlie Mortdecai mystery novels)—and obviously, I could continue this list for dozens of names, too!
Mark S. Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 17:08:37
quote:

If you are a big forgotten realms novel fan, what non-FR novels would you recommend and why?

George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series.

George R.R. Martin's Fevre Dream. One of the best vampire novels ever written.

David Gemmell's stuff is good "tough guy" fantasy.

I second Mr. Byers' recommendation of Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. Great Fantasy. Rightly called the War and Peace of Fantasy.

I pity the fool who hasn't read F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books. Start with The Tomb and go from there.
MerrikCale Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 01:21:01
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

It's been years since I read them, but I believe I dimly recall that Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy has a likable fellowship of adventurers. I definitely remember that I enjoyed the series a lot, so even if you read it and it doesn't really have the adventuring band that I think is in there, maybe you won't feel that I've led you too far astray.

not to sound too fanboyish, Dorn and crew are exactly the kind of "party" I'm looking for. Fun to read and maybe spawn some campaign ideas
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 17:57:42
It's been years since I read them, but I believe I dimly recall that Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy has a likable fellowship of adventurers. I definitely remember that I enjoyed the series a lot, so even if you read it and it doesn't really have the adventuring band that I think is in there, maybe you won't feel that I've led you too far astray.
Virendar Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 16:36:56
Dragonlance Novels ALL THE WAY !

i wud recommend Dragon's of Autumn's twilight to get you going...then keep reading from there :)
Jorkens Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 06:35:29
quote:

Which non-FR book has an interesting party of adventurers?

Well, most of the older (pre-80's)fantasy writers have a tendency to focus on one or two individuals. Those that have larger groups, such as Dickinsons The Dragon and the George and Moorcocks Runestaff series, are of a sort I would not compare to the idea of the adventuring party.

With the newer authors, like Feist, Eddison and Jordan you get more of the "group of adventurers" but my knowledge of these writers are somewhat limited. What I have read of Eddison I have liked, you might also like Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, but these are not to everyone's taste.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 03:50:55
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

The Conclave of shadows series by Raymond E. Feist is good.(so good ap goverment teacher with degrees from standford and harvard recomended it)

I'm a huge fan of all of Feist's books. He is one of the very few authors who can sell me a book by putting his name on the cover. But, if you're going to read those books, I'd recommend starting at the beginning, with the Riftwar Saga.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000