Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Help picking series to buy.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eldritchknight Posted - 27 Apr 2007 : 19:52:37
I am looking to pick up my Realms reading, and since I enjoy stand alone books, was wondering if someone could help me on picking between the Fighters, Wizards, and Priests series?

Also, tell me why you liked the series without any spoilers?

Thanks!!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Apr 2007 : 20:06:42
Ah yes, the Cities series. Haven't read City of Ravens, but I plan to. I enjoyed both City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep and Temple Hill. I really did not care much at all for The Jewel of Turmish--in addition to quibbles about the story itself, I felt it had very little to do with the actual city it was named for (Alaghon).
Snotlord Posted - 28 Apr 2007 : 19:45:17
City of Ravens is the coolest stand-alone I've read so far. Swashbuckling fun, romance and lots of fireworks.

Spellfire is also a good choice. It is IMO a stand-alone that later was turned into a series. Great fun.

I hear good things about Blackstaff, but Khelben bores me to tears so I haven't picked it up yet.
eldritchknight Posted - 28 Apr 2007 : 19:16:30
Cool, thanks all.

I have just got done reading the Yellow Silk, and have to say I really enjoyed the book. I'm going to read the Crimson Gold next.

I plan on reading all of the serries, just wanted help on which to buy first. I guees I'll start with Priests, ten work up in chronological order.
scererar Posted - 28 Apr 2007 : 04:37:25
I too enjoyed the rogue novels. Blackstaff, in the wizards trilogy, was excellent. Regardless, you are going to get a 100 different responses, a 100 different ways. Read em all my friend
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Apr 2007 : 01:00:49
I enjoyed most of the books in all those series, and I wouldn't say I regret reading even the ones I didn't enjoy as much. So, why choose between them? If you have the time, read them all. Don't forget the Rogues series either--if I had to rate all the class series as group, I might well say I enjoyed the Rogues books the most. There is just something inherently fun, spontaneous and intriguing about rogue novels.
Reefy Posted - 28 Apr 2007 : 00:39:34
I've only read one book from any of the series' mentioned, but that was Blackstaff, from the Wizards series, and frankly was worth the admission price alone. It's one of the best Realms books I've read. Why? Khelben has always been one of my favourite characters, he's complex and interesting, and he doesn't shirk the big decisions. Deep down he cares and the main plot and result of it is actually pretty moving. Plus it's packed full of lore and written by scribe Schend. What's not to like?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000