Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Help picking series to buy.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  19:52:37  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am looking to pick up my Realms reading, and since I enjoy stand alone books, was wondering if someone could help me on picking between the Fighters, Wizards, and Priests series?

Also, tell me why you liked the series without any spoilers?

Thanks!!

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read one book from any of the series' mentioned, but that was Blackstaff, from the Wizards series, and frankly was worth the admission price alone. It's one of the best Realms books I've read. Why? Khelben has always been one of my favourite characters, he's complex and interesting, and he doesn't shirk the big decisions. Deep down he cares and the main plot and result of it is actually pretty moving. Plus it's packed full of lore and written by scribe Schend. What's not to like?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  01:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed most of the books in all those series, and I wouldn't say I regret reading even the ones I didn't enjoy as much. So, why choose between them? If you have the time, read them all. Don't forget the Rogues series either--if I had to rate all the class series as group, I might well say I enjoyed the Rogues books the most. There is just something inherently fun, spontaneous and intriguing about rogue novels.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Apr 2007 01:02:36
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  04:37:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too enjoyed the rogue novels. Blackstaff, in the wizards trilogy, was excellent. Regardless, you are going to get a 100 different responses, a 100 different ways. Read em all my friend

Edited by - scererar on 28 Apr 2007 04:38:31
Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  19:16:30  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks all.

I have just got done reading the Yellow Silk, and have to say I really enjoyed the book. I'm going to read the Crimson Gold next.

I plan on reading all of the serries, just wanted help on which to buy first. I guees I'll start with Priests, ten work up in chronological order.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  19:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens is the coolest stand-alone I've read so far. Swashbuckling fun, romance and lots of fireworks.

Spellfire is also a good choice. It is IMO a stand-alone that later was turned into a series. Great fun.

I hear good things about Blackstaff, but Khelben bores me to tears so I haven't picked it up yet.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  20:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, the Cities series. Haven't read City of Ravens, but I plan to. I enjoyed both City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep and Temple Hill. I really did not care much at all for The Jewel of Turmish--in addition to quibbles about the story itself, I felt it had very little to do with the actual city it was named for (Alaghon).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000