Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Alabastar Staff

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ArcticKnight Posted - 05 Dec 2002 : 16:56:01
Has anyone heard about this book? the name has been floating around the WOTC board as being one of the Rouges Series books due out in 2003 along wiht The Crimson Gold and The Black Bouquet.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Icelander Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 09:20:05
quote:
Originally posted by Edward Bolme

Well, it's always interesting to hear people's reactions. One previous post spoke of how shallow the characters were, and I just got a private communication about how deep they were.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised in that I enjoyed the book. I picked it up just because it dealt with Unther during the war and my group of PCs are going there in our game*, but it turned out far better than I initially thought.

*They are actually going to be running the blockade in order to sell food, weapons and Thayvian magical items to the most desperate factions in town. Needless to say, the novel was almost tailor-made to serve as a supplement for my game, especially since we're in Alturiak of DR 1373 and I expect the PCs to visit Thay first to buy cheap grain and magic to sell.

And yes, some of the PCs are a bit morally challenged, but in general, they're a nice bunch of people. They just figure that doing business with Unther and incidentally helping them resist an unprovoked invasion absolutely can be squared with their consciences. Especially since their shipping company is waist-deep in short-term debt to dangerous loan-snarks.

quote:

Yes, I use dialog to help differentiate the characters. I personally get tired of books where everyone, from the king to the beggar, speaks the same. You'll notice, Strahd, that "hon" is used by only one character. It's her cliche. I've seen people with much worse repetition of cliches; once, while in Vancouver, BC, a gas station attendant began and ended every sentence with "eh?" It was truly amazing.

The different diction of the characters was a plus to me. The High Untheric speech was an effective characterisation bit, it conveyed both charm and subtle condescension on the part of the former High Priest. I can't say I liked Khersyn's or the sorceress' street slang, but you can't please everyone.

quote:

Aside from that, Kehrsyn's dialog is meant to be uneducated street talk; for some people it sounds American, but it's just poor usage. Trying to create an Untheric streetslang just ended up sounding really bad or really alien.

I think I'd have liked alien and new instead of the jarring Americanisation of her slang.

But overall, nice work with at least trying to differentiate character speech patterns. That's more than a host of fantasy authors do.

quote:

The High Untheric is there for a reason. And the match... AAARRRGGH! Sorry about that. Slipped by both myself and my editor.

*shrug*

You said sorry. Good enough for me.
The Red Walker Posted - 04 Jul 2008 : 04:37:59
Spoilers ahead!

About halfway through, still enjoyable. Now we have a schism within the Tiamatan church, which severs the churches allianace with the Furifaxians by butchering their safehouse and stealing the staff.
Kehrsyn is fairly interesting and it is interesting to see that she may be getting a chance to take control of her life back by working for Massedar.
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Jul 2008 : 23:42:01
I am about six chapters in and enjoying it so far. Too bad about the match, but honest mistakes happen!!
I like the appearance of so many factions...the Zhents, a thieves guild, red wizards and followers of Tiamat. Being the first time I have come across Tiamat worshipers in a novel I am looking forward to seeing how the author handles them!!
Edward Bolme Posted - 30 Jul 2003 : 20:27:02
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Anyway, any plans you wish to share for your next FR novel?

No plans as yet, although a short story should appear next year. I'm pitching for the Eberron setting.
Alaundo Posted - 30 Jul 2003 : 17:39:32
Well Met

Locked up in the deeper chambers of Candlekeep is none other than the famed scribe of the Realms...Edward Bolme, he who brought you the said tome entitled The Alabaster Staff. Before we let him back out the gates of Candlekeep, he will be interrogated, interviewed on his work on the Realms.

If you have a question for Edward on his novel, then please send it over to me so that I may prepare the interview.

Hurry now, we can only restrain him for so long
Lord Rad Posted - 30 Jul 2003 : 17:02:21
Well i just finished The Alabaster Staff last night. I must say that It picked up after a lull around the middle.

It DOES fit well as a rogues book, there are a few nice twists, especially near the end which kept me hurtling through the latter 1/3 of the novel.

As mentioned previously, the dialog is the downside of the novel. I can see what you wanted to do by it, Edward, and I dont blame you at all. As you say, many novels have all manner of folk using the same dialog, I just felt that in this case it was TOO extreme.

Anyway, any plans you wish to share for your next FR novel?
SiriusBlack Posted - 30 Jul 2003 : 04:11:38
quote:
Yes, I learned long ago that generally speaking, the people who post to forums (mailing lists, etc.) are those who are upset. It's just curious that while the tone of this thread has tended toward the negative, the one on wizards.com has been overwhelmingly positive. C'est la vie.

Hmm, you may be right. I think regardless of the forum, when it comes to roleplaying messageboards, I've quickly seen two things:

1. If you complain, even intelligently about something, some quickly will label you a troll, whiner, etc.

2. If you are too verbose or excited about something you do like, some will quickly accuse of being a fanboy, sycophant, etc.

I think your C'est la vie attitude is the best one to have. Good luck in your future writings.
Mythander Posted - 29 Jul 2003 : 22:26:07
quote:

Yes, I learned long ago that generally speaking, the people who post to forums (mailing lists, etc.) are those who are upset. It's just curious that while the tone of this thread has tended toward the negative, the one on wizards.com has been overwhelmingly positive. C'est la vie.

What do you expect? we live in a library I for one, found you book to be a good read.
Edward Bolme Posted - 29 Jul 2003 : 21:28:52
Thanks, Malanthius and Mythander, for the support.

Nevertheless, I endeavor to respond to criticisms. I find that taking time to answer questions or explain my intent can have a positive impact on everyone.
Mythander Posted - 29 Jul 2003 : 21:16:57
I have to second that. It is a brave man that will face the critics and this place has the most critical of the Realms.
Malanthius Posted - 29 Jul 2003 : 21:01:40
Mr. Bolme,

Your really shouldn't worry about a lot of the criticisms you see here, as you may have guessed, its impossible to please everyone all the time. Also, it's a rare author indeed that takes time to answer some of these comments. Thank You.

Malanthius.
Edward Bolme Posted - 29 Jul 2003 : 17:46:48
Well, it's always interesting to hear people's reactions. One previous post spoke of how shallow the characters were, and I just got a private communication about how deep they were.

Yes, I use dialog to help differentiate the characters. I personally get tired of books where everyone, from the king to the beggar, speaks the same. You'll notice, Strahd, that "hon" is used by only one character. It's her cliche. I've seen people with much worse repetition of cliches; once, while in Vancouver, BC, a gas station attendant began and ended every sentence with "eh?" It was truly amazing.

Aside from that, Kehrsyn's dialog is meant to be uneducated street talk; for some people it sounds American, but it's just poor usage. Trying to create an Untheric streetslang just ended up sounding really bad or really alien.

The High Untheric is there for a reason. And the match... AAARRRGGH! Sorry about that. Slipped by both myself and my editor.

Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 29 Jul 2003 : 00:24:09
The start of the book with the battle between the gods is most probably the best part of the book. It all goes downhill from there.

I totally agree with RAD that the dialogue is THE main thing that lets this book down. There was a couple of pages when the word "Hon" was used in just about every sentance.

Strahd Von Zarovich
Malanthius Posted - 28 Jul 2003 : 01:20:00
Just started reading it myself, it seems interesting enough so far, the forward with gileam and tiamat was quite excellent i thought...

Mal.
Voronica Whitney-Robinson Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 14:46:21
So as not to get off topic from Edward's book, I'll answer (sort of) some of these questions on the GenCon thread in the Welcome forum, since it's where I still am for a few more hours and Peter Archer gave me permission to mention the next book of mine while I was here.
Lord Rad Posted - 26 Jul 2003 : 19:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

Now my interest is piqued, what all books have been written by Miss Veronica?

Mal.

No Malanthius. Only The Crimson Gold is by Voronica, this first book is by Edward Bolme, a new FR author.
Malanthius Posted - 26 Jul 2003 : 18:38:46
Now my interest is piqued, what all books have been written by Miss Veronica?

Mal.
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2003 : 04:06:54
Again it is disappointing to hear about the poor dialgue, especially from the perspective of a non-American reader. Although what I do find interesting is the exact contrast of this dialogue against the usage of such archaic terms as "thou", "art" and "doust" .

The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2003 : 03:45:07
And an excellent sequel to the first book...sigh ...I wish the rumors I had heard a few years ago about work on another novel set around Sithicus set between the events of the first and second book were now true again.

Lord Rad Posted - 25 Jul 2003 : 16:55:46
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich

I recently urged RAD to read Spectre of the Black Rose, as I had read it a couple of times, and now I believe he has nothing but praise for the book.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Youre not wrong there, Strahd. Not wanting to get off topic, but Spectre is an EXCELLENT read! some very well written and disturbing scenes! Certainly fitting for the Ravenloft setting!
Lord Rad Posted - 25 Jul 2003 : 16:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

How much more do you have to read Rad?.

Im just knocking on the door of the 200 page mark. Its not TOO bad, the dialog lets it down terribly. I can see that the author has tried to greatly distiguish between characters by using dialog. For example, in addition to the "American" woman, we now have a male who uses more "thou" "art" "doust" olde-English style dialog that even Ed Greenwood! It is all too extreme and doesnt flow well at all.

Another grumble, is that all the characters, the baaaaad guys, are all so damn nice Theyre SO caring and considerate to the main character.
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 25 Jul 2003 : 12:01:39
quote:
Originally posted by Voronica Whitney-Robinson

Thank you, Strahd, for your high praise. As I just sent off the final draft for The Crimson Gold, I hope it meets your expectations. I haven't read Edward Bolme's book yet and am sorry to hear it didn't gel with everyone. But sometimes that just happens.

Off to GenCon tomorrow and then to start writing a new Forgotten Realms novel.

Veronica, you have now piqued my interest. What novel are you starting to write next? Is it in a series we have heard about, or is it a stand alone book?

As I said before I am looking to The Crimson Gold, as I find your books to have an amazingly lifelike feel to them, which places you right in the middle of the action while you are reading them. If anyone wants to know what I mean by that, read Sands of the Soul and look out for the sandstorm!

I recently urged RAD to read Spectre of the Black Rose, as I had read it a couple of times, and now I believe he has nothing but praise for the book.

Strahd Von Zarovich
The Sage Posted - 25 Jul 2003 : 03:34:50
How much more do you have to read Rad?.

Lord Rad Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 17:17:02
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, 'tindertwigs,' they're called. Described as a short stick of wood with one end treated with "an alchemical substance."

It's gunpowder, folks. Or as near as no never mind.

Wheres this information from Bookwyrm? ill have to read up on it. Ill never use them in my campaign though

I wouldnt mind TOO much if they were described in the novel as 'tindertwigs', but theyre not, it actually states that she strikes a MATCH to light a lamp!

Still, I read some more of the novel today and quite enjoyed the following 3 chapters
Voronica Whitney-Robinson Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 05:03:08
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich

I am however going to read the rest of the series as I am led to believe that each story is a stand alone tale. I am looking forward to Veronica Whitney Robinsons book, as she has given me some of my favorite books 'Spectre of the Black Rose' and 'Sands of the Soul'

Strahd Von Zarovich

Thank you, Strahd, for your high praise. As I just sent off the final draft for The Crimson Gold, I hope it meets your expectations. I haven't read Edward Bolme's book yet and am sorry to hear it didn't gel with everyone. But sometimes that just happens.

Off to GenCon tomorrow and then to start writing a new Forgotten Realms novel.
The Sage Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 04:38:00
Rad said -
quote:
Well Strahd, my opinions of this novel have changed somewhat. Im liking it a lot less now. It has gone a bit weak, the characters are all wrong, the Red Wizard of Thay is badly portrayed for a start.

And lo, what did the main character pull out of her backpack to light her way......a MATCH!! Tinderboxes are no more!
That is indeed disappointing to hear. I was expecting a lot from this novel, but I guess it now fails to meet expectations. I guess I will make a final judgement once I read it.

I would like to know exactly how these...MATCHES...suddenly appeared?.

Bookwyrm Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 01:33:45
Yes, 'tindertwigs,' they're called. Described as a short stick of wood with one end treated with "an alchemical substance."

It's gunpowder, folks. Or as near as no never mind.
Lord Rad Posted - 23 Jul 2003 : 21:38:46
Well Strahd, my opinions of this novel have changed somewhat. Im liking it a lot less now. It has gone a bit weak, the characters are all wrong, the Red Wizard of Thay is badly portrayed for a start.

And lo, what did the main character pull out of her backpack to light her way......a MATCH!! Tinderboxes are no more!
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 23 Jul 2003 : 17:51:54
Well RAD, I don't quite agree with your review of this book.

This title seemed promising at the start and was introducing some nice characters, and even a flashback to some events at the end of 'The Time of Troubles', but then things started to go down hill.

The story is very weak, and the characters are not as fleshed out as much as would have hoped. Some of them seem to be written totally against type, such as The Thay Wizard, even the Zhentarim do not seem much of a threat.

The dialogue is terrible.

After being given such excellent books recently in the form of The Sembia series, War of the Spider Queen and also Windwalker, this is very much of a let down.

I am however going to read the rest of the series as I am led to believe that each story is a stand alone tale. I am looking forward to Veronica Whitney Robinsons book, as she has given me some of my favorite books 'Spectre of the Black Rose' and 'Sands of the Soul'

Strahd Von Zarovich
SiriusBlack Posted - 23 Jul 2003 : 17:21:42
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Why is it, that you find the 'Old Empires' region boring, Sirius?. Is there something particular about the cultures in the area, or something else entirely?.
Have you read through the old 2e Old Empires accessory?.

Yes, to the latter question, although it was some years ago. I could find it again, either in one of my friend's books or through other means but.....I just don't wish to.

I find the region boring because there is nothing interesting there to me. If I read the upcoming setting book for the area (I'm still thinking that's where WOTC is going) it will result in the same thing that happened when I read Unapproachable East.....I'll start to fall asleep.

I know....opinions vary. However, it's not simply me. As I stated in my previous posts, I've got an entire gaming group who feels the same way including one lady who is sooo passionate about Egyptian history/mythology that it's frightening. She finds the Mulhorandi pantheon to be ...well....she used some very strong negative words.

I'm glad others feel differently about the setting. If I recall, way back, when WOTC first released FR 3e, I heard someone related to the company mention that by their research most groups gamed in something like the North, Western Heartlands area, Dales, and Cormyr. Yet, WOTC has chosen to go in a different area with this year's setting book and perhaps next year's as well (I know, forgive me for my constant repeating of it, but I'm hoping by embracing it, that it won't happen ).

WOTC's decision and some of the comments I've heard from my gaming group and others makes me really wish I could see the sales figures for Unapproachable East.

If as Richard Baker mentioned, he wishes to explore areas in setting books that have not been touched before, I nominate a very interesting area, to me,.....Sembia. The company belief that Sembia was for the DM's to play with in the FR has to have gone out the window with the wonderful novel series set within the country.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000