Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Alabastar Staff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2002 :  16:56:01  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone heard about this book? the name has been floating around the WOTC board as being one of the Rouges Series books due out in 2003 along wiht The Crimson Gold and The Black Bouquet.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2002 :  17:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmm not heard of that one! Have you got anymore information on it, such as the author?

Sounds like a good series so far. I wonder if theyre all featuring existing characters from other novels!? We already know that Tazi from the Sembia series is the main character in The Crimson Gold, what about The Black Bouquet, does anyone know who the character is?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Voronica Whitney-Robinson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2002 :  01:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know who the author is, but it is in the Rouges series and potentially due out in August of 2003.

V.

A friend will help you move.
A real friend will help you move a body...

Visit http://www.voronica.com to see what else I've been up to.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2002 :  16:48:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Voronica

Do you mean August 2004 for this novel?

No chance of persueding WotC to change the series name from Rogues to Thieves then?!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2002 :  03:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rad-

I think The Alabaster Staff is set for August 2003, I'm not sure on the date for The Black Bouquet and Crimson Gold is supposedly set for December 2003.

When I became invloved in the series a few months ago, the name "Rouges" was in place and I think that is what Wotc is going to stick with. I'm sure their advertisements and promotional material is already in place, so a petition to change it to Thieves is probably too late.The stories will still be good, though, have no fear.

V.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2002 :  11:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voronica Whitney-Robinson
The stories will still be good, though, have no fear.

I dont doubt that for a second!! Im really looking forward to the series, I love thief characters, theyre my second favorite class (second to rangers).

Although its likely far too early to say, but I assume that there are likely to be more novels in the Rogues series as it isnt called a Trilogy!? saying that, the Cities series ended on three books

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Locced
Acolyte

New Zealand
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  10:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Locced's Homepage Send Locced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are they not publishing any more cities novels?
It was interesting to read about various areas of the realms that hadnt seen the light of day yet. And then they go and stop again... <sigh> oh well, still plenty of good books coming out.

Edited by - Locced on 14 Dec 2002 10:53:29
Go to Top of Page

enchantedgoblin
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  17:08:48  Show Profile  Visit enchantedgoblin's Homepage Send enchantedgoblin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, what does the word Alabaster mean???
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  17:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enchantedgoblin
Hey, what does the word Alabaster mean???

Alabaster is a mineral\rock mined from within the land.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  04:55:39  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm , although u are right Rad, i believe in this context they are referring to the Color Alabaster. If you notice each rouges book has a color in it, The "Alabaster" staff, The "Black" Bouquet, The "Crimson" Gold, and The "Yellow" Silk.

just a guess really but i think it is reffering to the Color not the rock. correct me if im wrong though , if anyone knows otherwise.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  05:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was contacted to write for this series, I was not required to use a color in the title. "Crimson Gold" just happened to fit with my story and the color is a play on something in the book besides the physical item. So, "The Alabaster Staff" may be referring to physical alabaster, not a color.

V.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  08:58:41  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... wasn't there an Alabaster as an evil mage in the Cadderly books from RAS - The Cleric Quintet?
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  18:18:34  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Close--It was Aballister. Was his imp buddy Druzil?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  17:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im about 1/3 way through this novel. So far im quite enjoying it. The author, Edward Bolme, has done a nice job in bringing in many organizations and flavors of the Realms and its nice to read about Unther for a change

The only grumble I have is the dialog. Its all a bit too.....erm....American I know that Edward is trying to get across different personalities but I dont think that the dialog is coming across so well

Ill post again here with my final review.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  03:12:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll look forward to that Rad. As for the 'American' based dialog, it might be interesting to read some of Ed Bolme's other material to see if this is a recurring trend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  05:33:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

The author, Edward Bolme, has done a nice job in bringing in many organizations and flavors of the Realms and its nice to read about Unther for a change

Mr. Bolme's main character and his fine job of showing a novel involving many organizations were the novel's high points for me.

The low points. The setting. I just find the Old Empires area, horribly boring. Not even Mr. Bolme's efforts helped there. If WOTC, as I suspect, does the next setting book within this area, that will make two years in a row I and those in my gaming group have passed on purchasing their setting book.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  07:24:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it, that you find the 'Old Empires' region boring, Sirius?. Is there something particular about the cultures in the area, or something else entirely?.

Have you read through the old 2e Old Empires accessory?.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  17:21:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Why is it, that you find the 'Old Empires' region boring, Sirius?. Is there something particular about the cultures in the area, or something else entirely?.
Have you read through the old 2e Old Empires accessory?.

Yes, to the latter question, although it was some years ago. I could find it again, either in one of my friend's books or through other means but.....I just don't wish to.

I find the region boring because there is nothing interesting there to me. If I read the upcoming setting book for the area (I'm still thinking that's where WOTC is going) it will result in the same thing that happened when I read Unapproachable East.....I'll start to fall asleep.

I know....opinions vary. However, it's not simply me. As I stated in my previous posts, I've got an entire gaming group who feels the same way including one lady who is sooo passionate about Egyptian history/mythology that it's frightening. She finds the Mulhorandi pantheon to be ...well....she used some very strong negative words.

I'm glad others feel differently about the setting. If I recall, way back, when WOTC first released FR 3e, I heard someone related to the company mention that by their research most groups gamed in something like the North, Western Heartlands area, Dales, and Cormyr. Yet, WOTC has chosen to go in a different area with this year's setting book and perhaps next year's as well (I know, forgive me for my constant repeating of it, but I'm hoping by embracing it, that it won't happen ).

WOTC's decision and some of the comments I've heard from my gaming group and others makes me really wish I could see the sales figures for Unapproachable East.

If as Richard Baker mentioned, he wishes to explore areas in setting books that have not been touched before, I nominate a very interesting area, to me,.....Sembia. The company belief that Sembia was for the DM's to play with in the FR has to have gone out the window with the wonderful novel series set within the country.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  17:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well RAD, I don't quite agree with your review of this book.

This title seemed promising at the start and was introducing some nice characters, and even a flashback to some events at the end of 'The Time of Troubles', but then things started to go down hill.

The story is very weak, and the characters are not as fleshed out as much as would have hoped. Some of them seem to be written totally against type, such as The Thay Wizard, even the Zhentarim do not seem much of a threat.

The dialogue is terrible.

After being given such excellent books recently in the form of The Sembia series, War of the Spider Queen and also Windwalker, this is very much of a let down.

I am however going to read the rest of the series as I am led to believe that each story is a stand alone tale. I am looking forward to Veronica Whitney Robinsons book, as she has given me some of my favorite books 'Spectre of the Black Rose' and 'Sands of the Soul'

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  21:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Strahd, my opinions of this novel have changed somewhat. Im liking it a lot less now. It has gone a bit weak, the characters are all wrong, the Red Wizard of Thay is badly portrayed for a start.

And lo, what did the main character pull out of her backpack to light her way......a MATCH!! Tinderboxes are no more!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  01:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, 'tindertwigs,' they're called. Described as a short stick of wood with one end treated with "an alchemical substance."

It's gunpowder, folks. Or as near as no never mind.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  04:38:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad said -
quote:
Well Strahd, my opinions of this novel have changed somewhat. Im liking it a lot less now. It has gone a bit weak, the characters are all wrong, the Red Wizard of Thay is badly portrayed for a start.

And lo, what did the main character pull out of her backpack to light her way......a MATCH!! Tinderboxes are no more!
That is indeed disappointing to hear. I was expecting a lot from this novel, but I guess it now fails to meet expectations. I guess I will make a final judgement once I read it.

I would like to know exactly how these...MATCHES...suddenly appeared?.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jul 2003 04:39:03
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  05:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich

I am however going to read the rest of the series as I am led to believe that each story is a stand alone tale. I am looking forward to Veronica Whitney Robinsons book, as she has given me some of my favorite books 'Spectre of the Black Rose' and 'Sands of the Soul'

Strahd Von Zarovich

Thank you, Strahd, for your high praise. As I just sent off the final draft for The Crimson Gold, I hope it meets your expectations. I haven't read Edward Bolme's book yet and am sorry to hear it didn't gel with everyone. But sometimes that just happens.

Off to GenCon tomorrow and then to start writing a new Forgotten Realms novel.

V.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  17:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, 'tindertwigs,' they're called. Described as a short stick of wood with one end treated with "an alchemical substance."

It's gunpowder, folks. Or as near as no never mind.

Wheres this information from Bookwyrm? ill have to read up on it. Ill never use them in my campaign though

I wouldnt mind TOO much if they were described in the novel as 'tindertwigs', but theyre not, it actually states that she strikes a MATCH to light a lamp!

Still, I read some more of the novel today and quite enjoyed the following 3 chapters

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  03:34:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much more do you have to read Rad?.

Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  12:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voronica Whitney-Robinson

Thank you, Strahd, for your high praise. As I just sent off the final draft for The Crimson Gold, I hope it meets your expectations. I haven't read Edward Bolme's book yet and am sorry to hear it didn't gel with everyone. But sometimes that just happens.

Off to GenCon tomorrow and then to start writing a new Forgotten Realms novel.

Veronica, you have now piqued my interest. What novel are you starting to write next? Is it in a series we have heard about, or is it a stand alone book?

As I said before I am looking to The Crimson Gold, as I find your books to have an amazingly lifelike feel to them, which places you right in the middle of the action while you are reading them. If anyone wants to know what I mean by that, read Sands of the Soul and look out for the sandstorm!

I recently urged RAD to read Spectre of the Black Rose, as I had read it a couple of times, and now I believe he has nothing but praise for the book.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  16:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

How much more do you have to read Rad?.

Im just knocking on the door of the 200 page mark. Its not TOO bad, the dialog lets it down terribly. I can see that the author has tried to greatly distiguish between characters by using dialog. For example, in addition to the "American" woman, we now have a male who uses more "thou" "art" "doust" olde-English style dialog that even Ed Greenwood! It is all too extreme and doesnt flow well at all.

Another grumble, is that all the characters, the baaaaad guys, are all so damn nice Theyre SO caring and considerate to the main character.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  16:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich

I recently urged RAD to read Spectre of the Black Rose, as I had read it a couple of times, and now I believe he has nothing but praise for the book.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Youre not wrong there, Strahd. Not wanting to get off topic, but Spectre is an EXCELLENT read! some very well written and disturbing scenes! Certainly fitting for the Ravenloft setting!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  03:45:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And an excellent sequel to the first book...sigh ...I wish the rumors I had heard a few years ago about work on another novel set around Sithicus set between the events of the first and second book were now true again.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  04:06:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again it is disappointing to hear about the poor dialgue, especially from the perspective of a non-American reader. Although what I do find interesting is the exact contrast of this dialogue against the usage of such archaic terms as "thou", "art" and "doust" .

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now my interest is piqued, what all books have been written by Miss Veronica?

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000