Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Books ?!?!?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GnomeBoy Posted - 03 Jul 2004 : 19:19:32
People I need Help!
I'm wanting to buy a new Series to read, but i dont know what
Can you please gimme some opinions and suggestions as to what would be a good choice ?
Thanks!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 18:18:12
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Uh.. no. ^^;

If it's possible, I'd start with them before going to the Cale series. I think reading them adds a great deal of background to the character and his situation at the trilogy's start that would be otherwise missed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 18:03:46
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Okay, okay, I'll look into the Erevis Cale books... Just give me time to get caught up on my current reading backlog, and then the funds to actually buy the novels...

I more than understand both those factors. You have read the Sembia novels that featured him, correct?

Uh.. no. ^^;
Faraer Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 17:30:50
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
To me, there is quite a divide between certain styles of FR novels - the older Cormyr Saga, Heroes of Phlan etc. have one flavor (traditional fantasy), whilst the novel series' over the past two or three years have a much more mature and darker feel.

Darker, more self-conscious and psychological; more mature, I don't think so.
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 17:14:38
quote:

Okay, okay, I'll look into the Erevis Cale books... Just give me time to get caught up on my current reading backlog, and then the funds to actually buy the novels...

I more than understand both those factors. You have read the Sembia novels that featured him, correct?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 16:30:37
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 15:41:33
quote:
whilst the novel series' over the past two or three years have a much more mature and darker feel.

Although it's not a recent novel, I'd stick Dream Spheres into the more mature and darker feel category. But, you're right, I have also felt there's been a shift in recent years in the tone within novels.
The Sage Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 10:05:34
quote:

quote:

I suppose that one of these days, I shall have to check out the Erevis Cale books...

GET TO IT RIGHT NOW!
The Cale novels to date are amazing! This goes down in the top 3 of my favorite FR series (along with Sembia and WotSQ)

I'll add my voice to that of Rad's. I've only just this hour finished Dawn of Night, and it has left me wanting more... I have been eagerly anticipating every single chapter in this trilogy so far, and while I would not rank it in my top 3, it would definitely have a place in my Top 5 favorite FR series. Kemp's work in incredible. His characters are so life-like, so believable, it's hard to realise sometimes that you're not reading a biography...
Lord Rad Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 09:08:51
quote:

I suppose that one of these days, I shall have to check out the Erevis Cale books...

GET TO IT RIGHT NOW!
The Cale novels to date are amazing! This goes down in the top 3 of my favorite FR series (along with Sembia and WotSQ)

To me, there is quite a divide between certain styles of FR novels - the older Cormyr Saga, Heroes of Phlan etc. have one flavor (traditional fantasy), whilst the novel series' over the past two or three years have a much more mature and darker feel.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 05:38:17
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 05:24:58
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

I can mention various series that are very good, but at the top of my list is the Erevis Cale Series. I like the author's writing style as well as the characters he uses.

An excellent series. The author and his novels have quite a few threads within these forums. Be sure to share your thoughts within them if you get the chance.
The Wanderer Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 03:13:04
I can mention various series that are very good, but at the top of my list is the Erevis Cale Series. I like the author's writing style as well as the characters he uses.

Another good series to read is the Cormyr series. They have a very well though out story as well as some new fiends that are interesting to see. I practically read this one in two days.
The Sage Posted - 11 Jul 2004 : 15:07:04
So you finally read the Sembia series, Lina? What did you think?
Lina Posted - 11 Jul 2004 : 15:02:45
I really enjoy Veronica Whitney-Robinson's, Ed's and Cunningham's novels. Look out for them.

The Sembia series is a good one too.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Jul 2004 : 10:42:22
My favourite is Ed's "Shadows of the Avatar" trilogy.

-- George Krashos
Ignorance Personified Posted - 11 Jul 2004 : 01:51:58
quote:
Originally Posted By Hymn

The City of Raven's, by Richard Baker

I second that.

If you enjoyed the El Series then Spellfire is an excellent choice.

If Entreri holds your interest then I believe you will find Riven (in Kemp's Cale Novels-->starting with Shawdow Witness) to be captavating as well.
VEDSICA Posted - 09 Jul 2004 : 01:03:26
I agree with Windancer.It's where I started.I just think that with al the interaction of some of the main dieties of the realms is a great starting point for a new series.Especially if you are fairly new to the realms.
Windancer Posted - 08 Jul 2004 : 01:38:56
try the avatar series. It is a really great series. start on shadowdale.
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Jul 2004 : 01:26:35
quote:
Originally posted by GnomeBoy

Woooohooooo!!
That's Great news!
Even better than the fact that it's my birthday tomorrow !
thanks for the info Sirius
Wooly, I agree completely.
He has unmatched style, with his plumed hat and low bows! :)

You're welcome and may I wish you an early Happy Birthday!
GnomeBoy Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 22:38:54
Woooohooooo!!
That's Great news!
Even better than the fact that it's my birthday tomorrow !
thanks for the info Sirius
Wooly, I agree completely.
He has unmatched style, with his plumed hat and low bows! :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 17:52:18
quote:

quote:
I would really like it if R.A.Salvatore could write a book about Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri in the future, because they are my favourite characters and they take the main roles in my favourite book(The Servant of the Shard) so that would please me greatly :)

Get ready to be pleased then. Another thread on this board detailed R.A. Salvatore's announcement that he will be writing an upcoming novel featuring those two characters. No word yet on a publication date.

I, too, am looking forward to that book. I like Jarlaxle a lot more than Drizzt. He's just plain got good style. (yes, I know that grammar was hideous, but it works)
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 17:33:23
quote:
I would really like it if R.A.Salvatore could write a book about Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri in the future, because they are my favourite characters and they take the main roles in my favourite book(The Servant of the Shard) so that would please me greatly :)

Get ready to be pleased then. Another thread on this board detailed R.A. Salvatore's announcement that he will be writing an upcoming novel featuring those two characters. No word yet on a publication date.
GnomeBoy Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 16:59:52
I see, well i will consider it in the least :P
SilverFall: Story of the Seven Sisters also looks interesting to me.
I also enjoyed Cadderly,Dannica and the Bouldershoulder brothers in Paths of Darkness, so Cleric Quintet might be worth looking at.
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 14:41:53
quote:

Thanks for all the recomendations, I'll be sure to check it out
I've also had a suggestion about the Erevis Cale Trilogy ?
Does anyone know if it's any good ?

I've read the first two books in the trilogy and have enjoyed them a great deal. Cale's another character that has evolved as time goes on.

There are a few threads devoted to this trilogy. If you don't mind possible spoilers you could check them out to learn more about the story.

Additionally, you could start with Paul Kemp's work in the Sembia series where Cale first appears.
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 14:37:15
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
May I second the recommendation? I loved Counselors & Kings series; the plot is remarkably unpredictable, the characters are a joy to read about, and the setting of Halruaa is explored in fine, rich details.

You may, but who do you think was the first person that I referred to in my previous post?

quote:

As for Starlight & Shadows? Liriel is a distinctive, complex character with a less than black-and-white set of morals. The characters in the trilogy are never encased in a protective bubble -- they bleed, they experience life-changing events, and some of them even die.

They die? Without coming back or not really being dead? That's just crazy talk.

quote:

Liriel herself has real development over the course of three books, whereas some characters in other series remain static and flat throughout the course of five -- or ten, or twelve -- volumes.

It definitely makes the character more realistic....at least in my not so humble opinion.
GnomeBoy Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 10:46:53
Thanks for all the recomendations, I'll be sure to check it out
I've also had a suggestion about the Erevis Cale Trilogy ?
Does anyone know if it's any good ?
Winterfox Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 07:43:19
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger
Also, there's the Counselors and Kings Trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. I haven't read the second two, but the first was amazing.

Check 'em out!

I've never read that series, but have been tempted on a couple of occasions. You're the second person, who I know has taste , to recommend the series. I may need to take a trip to Amazon after I logout here.

May I second the recommendation? I loved Counselors & Kings series; the plot is remarkably unpredictable, the characters are a joy to read about, and the setting of Halruaa is explored in fine, rich details.

As for Starlight & Shadows? Liriel is a distinctive, complex character with a less than black-and-white set of morals. The characters in the trilogy are never encased in a protective bubble -- they bleed, they experience life-changing events, and some of them even die. Liriel herself has real development over the course of three books, whereas some characters in other series remain static and flat throughout the course of five -- or ten, or twelve -- volumes.
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 04:46:54
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger
Also, there's the Counselors and Kings Trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. I haven't read the second two, but the first was amazing.

Check 'em out!

I've never read that series, but have been tempted on a couple of occasions. You're the second person, who I know has taste , to recommend the series. I may need to take a trip to Amazon after I logout here.
Valondil the Ranger Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 04:40:40
Well, the series isn't complete yet, but the first is out called Venom's Taste by Lisa Smedman. Personally, I loved this novel.

Check 'em out!
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 04:27:44
quote:
It's a matter of preference, really. I preferred the Starlight and Shadows books to the Drizzt ones.

Yes, opinions vary and passions flame at times when it comes to a preference in authors. I enjoyed the Starlight and Shadows series. I think it featured a wide range of fascinating characters that changed throughout the series.
The Sage Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 04:01:53
quote:

quote:

hmmm
My friend recently bought it so i can just borrow it from him :)
Have you read Starlight and Shadows series from Elaine Cunningham, coz my friend says it not as good as R.A. Salvatore's stuff, but i dont know.

It's a matter of preference, really. I preferred the Starlight and Shadows books to the Drizzt ones.

I'll second that. Although, the Lady Cunningham ranks as second on my listing of favorite Realms authors. Mr Greenwood occupies the august position of First...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000