Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Books ?!?!?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  19:19:32  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
People I need Help!
I'm wanting to buy a new Series to read, but i dont know what
Can you please gimme some opinions and suggestions as to what would be a good choice ?
Thanks!

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  21:08:53  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hhmm, well I don't know what you have read so far so it's a little tricky.

I am currently reading the Cities Series, I have found them likable so far even though they are single stories.

The City of Raven's, by Richard Baker

Temple Hill, by Drew Karpyshyn

The Jewel of Turmish, by Mel Odom

There is always my alltime favorite Songs & Swords series by Elaine Cunningham

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  21:33:07  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Right, Forgot to say what i've read soz
thx for suggestions :)
I have Read the elminster series aswell as pretty much all the drizzt!
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  21:41:12  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GnomeBoy

Oh Right, Forgot to say what i've read soz
thx for suggestions :)
I have Read the elminster series aswell as pretty much all the drizzt!

Ok, your welcome. If you like R.A Salvatore you might want to try the Cleric Quintet as well.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  21:48:24  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm
My friend recently bought it so i can just borrow it from him :)
Have you read Starlight and Shadows series from Elaine Cunningham, coz my friend says it not as good as R.A. Salvatore's stuff, but i dont know.

Edited by - GnomeBoy on 03 Jul 2004 21:49:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  21:51:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

hmmm
Have you read Starlight and Shadows series from Elaine Cunningham, coz my friend says it not as good as R.A. Salvatore's stuff, but i dont know.

It's a matter of preference, really. I preferred the Starlight and Shadows books to the Drizzt ones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  22:12:06  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehe ok well i cant say, but Wooly, what would you suggest for the next series that i should read ?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  23:09:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

hehe ok well i cant say, but Wooly, what would you suggest for the next series that i should read ?

The aforementioned Songs & Swords books, by Elaine Cunningham. She is my personal fave among Realms writers, and Danilo Thann and Arilyn Moonblade are some of the best characters around.

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  00:34:14  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The threat From The Sea trilogy is very good and i also really like the Finders Stone trilogy, the character development made a nice change.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  03:53:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

The threat From The Sea trilogy is very good and i also really like the Finders Stone trilogy, the character development made a nice change.

Oh yes, the Finder's Stone trilogy is another good one. The duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb holds second place on my list of fave Realms authors.

I also liked the two books they did for the Lost Gods trilogy, Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck. Finder returns in these tales, and another of the characters is from the old Spelljammer comic. Oh, and there's a kender in the last book, too!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  04:01:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

hmmm

It's a matter of preference, really. I preferred the Starlight and Shadows books to the Drizzt ones.

I'll second that. Although, the Lady Cunningham ranks as second on my listing of favorite Realms authors. Mr Greenwood occupies the august position of First...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  04:27:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yes, opinions vary and passions flame at times when it comes to a preference in authors. I enjoyed the Starlight and Shadows series. I think it featured a wide range of fascinating characters that changed throughout the series.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  04:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the series isn't complete yet, but the first is out called Venom's Taste by Lisa Smedman. Personally, I loved this novel.

Also, there's the Counselors and Kings Trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. I haven't read the second two, but the first was amazing.

Check 'em out!

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  04:46:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger
Also, there's the Counselors and Kings Trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. I haven't read the second two, but the first was amazing.

Check 'em out!

I've never read that series, but have been tempted on a couple of occasions. You're the second person, who I know has taste , to recommend the series. I may need to take a trip to Amazon after I logout here.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  07:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Check 'em out!

I've never read that series, but have been tempted on a couple of occasions. You're the second person, who I know has taste , to recommend the series. I may need to take a trip to Amazon after I logout here.

May I second the recommendation? I loved Counselors & Kings series; the plot is remarkably unpredictable, the characters are a joy to read about, and the setting of Halruaa is explored in fine, rich details.

As for Starlight & Shadows? Liriel is a distinctive, complex character with a less than black-and-white set of morals. The characters in the trilogy are never encased in a protective bubble -- they bleed, they experience life-changing events, and some of them even die. Liriel herself has real development over the course of three books, whereas some characters in other series remain static and flat throughout the course of five -- or ten, or twelve -- volumes.
Go to Top of Page

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  10:46:53  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the recomendations, I'll be sure to check it out
I've also had a suggestion about the Erevis Cale Trilogy ?
Does anyone know if it's any good ?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
May I second the recommendation? I loved Counselors & Kings series; the plot is remarkably unpredictable, the characters are a joy to read about, and the setting of Halruaa is explored in fine, rich details.

You may, but who do you think was the first person that I referred to in my previous post?

quote:

As for Starlight & Shadows? Liriel is a distinctive, complex character with a less than black-and-white set of morals. The characters in the trilogy are never encased in a protective bubble -- they bleed, they experience life-changing events, and some of them even die.

They die? Without coming back or not really being dead? That's just crazy talk.

quote:

Liriel herself has real development over the course of three books, whereas some characters in other series remain static and flat throughout the course of five -- or ten, or twelve -- volumes.

It definitely makes the character more realistic....at least in my not so humble opinion.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  14:41:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for all the recomendations, I'll be sure to check it out
I've also had a suggestion about the Erevis Cale Trilogy ?
Does anyone know if it's any good ?

I've read the first two books in the trilogy and have enjoyed them a great deal. Cale's another character that has evolved as time goes on.

There are a few threads devoted to this trilogy. If you don't mind possible spoilers you could check them out to learn more about the story.

Additionally, you could start with Paul Kemp's work in the Sembia series where Cale first appears.
Go to Top of Page

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  16:59:52  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see, well i will consider it in the least :P
SilverFall: Story of the Seven Sisters also looks interesting to me.
I also enjoyed Cadderly,Dannica and the Bouldershoulder brothers in Paths of Darkness, so Cleric Quintet might be worth looking at.
I would really like it if R.A.Salvatore could write a book about Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri in the future, because they are my favourite characters and they take the main roles in my favourite book(The Servant of the Shard) so that would please me greatly :)

Edited by - GnomeBoy on 04 Jul 2004 17:03:06
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  17:33:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would really like it if R.A.Salvatore could write a book about Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri in the future, because they are my favourite characters and they take the main roles in my favourite book(The Servant of the Shard) so that would please me greatly :)

Get ready to be pleased then. Another thread on this board detailed R.A. Salvatore's announcement that he will be writing an upcoming novel featuring those two characters. No word yet on a publication date.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  17:52:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Get ready to be pleased then. Another thread on this board detailed R.A. Salvatore's announcement that he will be writing an upcoming novel featuring those two characters. No word yet on a publication date.

I, too, am looking forward to that book. I like Jarlaxle a lot more than Drizzt. He's just plain got good style. (yes, I know that grammar was hideous, but it works)

Go to Top of Page

GnomeBoy
Acolyte

South Africa
29 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  22:38:54  Show Profile  Visit GnomeBoy's Homepage Send GnomeBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woooohooooo!!
That's Great news!
Even better than the fact that it's my birthday tomorrow !
thanks for the info Sirius
Wooly, I agree completely.
He has unmatched style, with his plumed hat and low bows! :)

Edited by - GnomeBoy on 04 Jul 2004 22:40:24
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  01:26:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Woooohooooo!!
That's Great news!
Even better than the fact that it's my birthday tomorrow !
thanks for the info Sirius
Wooly, I agree completely.
He has unmatched style, with his plumed hat and low bows! :)

You're welcome and may I wish you an early Happy Birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Windancer
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  01:38:56  Show Profile  Visit Windancer's Homepage Send Windancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try the avatar series. It is a really great series. start on shadowdale.

Windancer
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  01:03:26  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Windancer.It's where I started.I just think that with al the interaction of some of the main dieties of the realms is a great starting point for a new series.Especially if you are fairly new to the realms.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  01:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally Posted By Hymn

The City of Raven's, by Richard Baker

I second that.

If you enjoyed the El Series then Spellfire is an excellent choice.

If Entreri holds your interest then I believe you will find Riven (in Kemp's Cale Novels-->starting with Shawdow Witness) to be captavating as well.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  10:42:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite is Ed's "Shadows of the Avatar" trilogy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  15:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy Veronica Whitney-Robinson's, Ed's and Cunningham's novels. Look out for them.

The Sembia series is a good one too.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  15:07:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you finally read the Sembia series, Lina? What did you think?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  03:13:04  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can mention various series that are very good, but at the top of my list is the Erevis Cale Series. I like the author's writing style as well as the characters he uses.

Another good series to read is the Cormyr series. They have a very well though out story as well as some new fiends that are interesting to see. I practically read this one in two days.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  05:24:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

I can mention various series that are very good, but at the top of my list is the Erevis Cale Series. I like the author's writing style as well as the characters he uses.

An excellent series. The author and his novels have quite a few threads within these forums. Be sure to share your thoughts within them if you get the chance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000