Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Can what Brandon Sanderson is doing be done by Ed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 02 Mar 2022 : 17:27:16
Have you guys heard what Brandon Sanderson did yesterday? An unprecedented Kickstarter campaign.

Four Uncontracted novels written during the pandemic. 3 are set in his cosmere which have been published by the big publishers , yet he’s able to self publish these 3 novel plus an unrelated novel.

Could Ed do this? Or does wotc or who ever, have anything he writes FR on complete lockdown?

Last I checked, Sanderson has pledges over $15,000,000 in the first day. I mean he’s now whenever he delivers his last contracted novel, well and truly free of publishers and is now financially independent.

It will be interesting to see if another big name author goes this route soon.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
redking Posted - 07 Apr 2022 : 10:16:46
Sanderson just brought in 41 million dollars. No one will be doing what he has done for a while.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Mar 2022 : 04:07:44
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

They should at least make ebook novels available and print on demand. That costs nothing.

There's still the initial cost of getting it ready for publication and then setting up the distribution. Getting it ready for publication would have a comparable cost to preparing a printed novel; it's the distribution where the cost difference would show.

On the distribution side, there's still an upfront cost of setting up the storefront and having the backend servers and bandwidth to support it; these are not trivial costs. Once those things are in place, it's practically free to toss more prepped ebooks out there, but the initial costs are going to remain.

So it's not free, but with a large enough novel catalog, it'll pay for itself in a short amount of time.

It wouldn't be free to flip the older novels to ebook, either. They've still got to prep the files as ebooks, and I'm sure some of those early novels never existed electronically -- or if they did, they're on forgotten floppy disks, in formats not readable by any software made in the last 10 years. So there would still be a cost with just getting the words themselves into an ebook; they'd likely have to get new art, as well.
Charles Phipps Posted - 07 Mar 2022 : 01:00:47
They should at least make ebook novels available and print on demand. That costs nothing.
George Krashos Posted - 03 Mar 2022 : 11:18:23
I'm sure Ed would want to - but I know that without the sales clout of Salvatore, the ability to cut a deal where WotC makes an amount off its licensing fee that it is happy to live with, the third party publisher makes money and the author gets some as well, the chances are very remote.

-- George Krashos
HighOne Posted - 02 Mar 2022 : 20:42:52
I believe Kentinal is correct in stating that Ed would need WotC's permission to publish an FR novel. But I'm not sure it's even worth discussing without knowing whether Ed wants to publish another FR novel.
Kentinal Posted - 02 Mar 2022 : 17:36:47
Well ED sold FR so he would need permission to publish FR. He however could do other novels in that way if he so desired.

He has written some non FR materials ( Band of Four Series, Falconfar Series and others)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000