Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Can what Brandon Sanderson is doing be done by Ed?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  17:27:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have you guys heard what Brandon Sanderson did yesterday? An unprecedented Kickstarter campaign.

Four Uncontracted novels written during the pandemic. 3 are set in his cosmere which have been published by the big publishers , yet he’s able to self publish these 3 novel plus an unrelated novel.

Could Ed do this? Or does wotc or who ever, have anything he writes FR on complete lockdown?

Last I checked, Sanderson has pledges over $15,000,000 in the first day. I mean he’s now whenever he delivers his last contracted novel, well and truly free of publishers and is now financially independent.

It will be interesting to see if another big name author goes this route soon.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 02 Mar 2022 17:28:00

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  17:36:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ED sold FR so he would need permission to publish FR. He however could do other novels in that way if he so desired.

He has written some non FR materials ( Band of Four Series, Falconfar Series and others)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  20:42:52  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Kentinal is correct in stating that Ed would need WotC's permission to publish an FR novel. But I'm not sure it's even worth discussing without knowing whether Ed wants to publish another FR novel.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2022 :  11:18:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Ed would want to - but I know that without the sales clout of Salvatore, the ability to cut a deal where WotC makes an amount off its licensing fee that it is happy to live with, the third party publisher makes money and the author gets some as well, the chances are very remote.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2022 :  01:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They should at least make ebook novels available and print on demand. That costs nothing.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2022 :  04:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

They should at least make ebook novels available and print on demand. That costs nothing.

There's still the initial cost of getting it ready for publication and then setting up the distribution. Getting it ready for publication would have a comparable cost to preparing a printed novel; it's the distribution where the cost difference would show.

On the distribution side, there's still an upfront cost of setting up the storefront and having the backend servers and bandwidth to support it; these are not trivial costs. Once those things are in place, it's practically free to toss more prepped ebooks out there, but the initial costs are going to remain.

So it's not free, but with a large enough novel catalog, it'll pay for itself in a short amount of time.

It wouldn't be free to flip the older novels to ebook, either. They've still got to prep the files as ebooks, and I'm sure some of those early novels never existed electronically -- or if they did, they're on forgotten floppy disks, in formats not readable by any software made in the last 10 years. So there would still be a cost with just getting the words themselves into an ebook; they'd likely have to get new art, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Mar 2022 04:08:33
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2022 :  10:16:46  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sanderson just brought in 41 million dollars. No one will be doing what he has done for a while.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000