Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "The Dungeons" novel series

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 05 Jul 2005 : 18:36:00
Well met

After recent talk of a new Forgotten Realms novel series, entitled The Dungeons (similiar to the Cities series), I have opened up this scroll for any discussions for this new set of novels. Whilst it is in very early stages, please feel free to discuss herein.

The original discussion is here, where Erik Scott de Bie indicated that he is writing one book in the series, entitled The Depths of Madness, due for release in 2007.

For completeness, i'll hereby include the entry from Erik's blog page:

quote:
posted on Erik Scott de Bie's blog page

I found out recently that Wizards of the Coast is accepting a novel proposal of mine called "The Depths of Madness," for publication in March 2007 (yeah -- long term? You ain't kidding) as part of a series called (dare I mention it? I don't know if it's been publicly announced. . .) THE DUNGEONS.

The Dungeons. . . kind of a followup to the Cities, about to be ended by the venerable (not in an old sort of way) Ed Greenwood and the stylish Elaine Cunningham, and the class series of novels (Rogues, Priests, Fighters, and Wizards), continuing the trend of 3 or 4 parters based on a single theme. To my knowledge, the Dungeons will consist of 4 novels, released throughout 2007 and 2008, all by lower/middle prestige Realms authors (my fellow Young Dragons and those somewhat more experienced than we, but no spoiler big names like Ed, Bob, Elaine, Paul, Thomas, Lisa, or either of the Richards). That's all I really know -- no idea who my fellows on this series will be. And I could always be wrong about any of that.

Anyway, the outline's due August 2, so I'll devote the next week or so to getting that hammered out, and the first draft's due in January. . . not that I think it'll take that long, but hey.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 27 Oct 2006 : 14:26:19
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Hmmm. Can you give us any idea of the characters?

Believe me, I wish I could go into detail, but I have to wait a little bit longer before I reveal anything. All I can say right now is the cast is fairly large, because I wanted to show a wide variety of perspectives and motivations.

fair enough. I look forward to it.
Jaleigh J. Posted - 27 Oct 2006 : 08:43:00
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Believe me, I wish I could go into detail, but I have to wait a little bit longer before I reveal anything. All I can say right now is the cast is fairly large, because I wanted to show a wide variety of perspectives and motivations.
MerrikCale Posted - 25 Oct 2006 : 02:10:03
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Chapters bookstore lists The Howling Delve as a July 2007 release.

I like July, good month to take books to the beach. ;)

As for plot and character development, I will say that the characters were some of my favorite parts of the Delve, so I hope you enjoy reading about them. :)

Jaleigh J. Posted - 24 Oct 2006 : 05:07:51
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

I like July, good month to take books to the beach. ;)

As for plot and character development, I will say that the characters were some of my favorite parts of the Delve, so I hope you enjoy reading about them. :)
Renzokuken Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 17:03:31
In terms of novels, 2009 is but one trilogy away. =)
Skeptic Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 04:51:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ahh, Brian, imagine how Ed of the Greenwood feels. He has prose sitting in WotC's hands that won't be published until 2009 (and was handed in back in 2002!).
Of course, he's also late on his current project . . .
love,
THO

What is even worse, is that Ed seems to have prose in WotC's hands that won't be published at all..
MerrikCale Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 02:27:36
quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken

I don't know why but I am excited for this series. If the name of the series is any indication of settings, then these novels may feel like classic hack n' slash adventures. Let's just hope the authors can slip in some plot and character development too. I am sure they will.

there's nothing wrong with some hack 'n slash every once in awhile.
Faraer Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 00:20:38
Bah! Give me exposition, old men moaning about fish, and dance scenes from the point of view of mice.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Oct 2006 : 17:30:17
quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken

Let's just hope the authors can slip in some plot and character development too. I am sure they will.

We can only hope.

Cheers
Renzokuken Posted - 20 Oct 2006 : 13:32:44
I don't know why but I am excited for this series. If the name of the series is any indication of settings, then these novels may feel like classic hack n' slash adventures. Let's just hope the authors can slip in some plot and character development too. I am sure they will.
DragonReader Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 22:28:53
The Red Walker Posted - 06 Aug 2006 : 23:08:12
Since this series is "plunging us back into the Dungeons from which D&D spawned",

I would like to make a small suggestion to the authors in the series.

Please feel free...Nay feel obligated, when tempted to state a distance to a door or trap or height of a statue or altar or whatever, to go ahead and take the plunge....

I know you want to...

Use measurement that are not based on 10'

I would love to hear a character say "hmm that's quite a chasm I need to leap there , it must be 12 or 13 feet wide!" lol

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 31 Jul 2006 : 18:40:11
I saw this on Rosemary Jones's site: http://members.aol.com/healingpgs/

'Twould appear that she's writing a Dungeons book. She calls it Dungeons 4, so maybe it's the fourth one.

Young Dragons unite!

Cheers
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 24 Jul 2006 : 21:22:14
More Realms novels when I haven't even read a tenth of what is out there?! I love it! As the saying goes, no Realmslore is bad Realmslore.

Now I'm just curious as to what dungeon Depths of Madness will be centered around.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Jul 2006 : 20:58:42
Whoop!

I swept this thread just to make sure I hadn't leaked anything out there (I hadn't) and it looks like it got bumped.

Oh horrors!

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 23:52:08
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Just curious to ressurect an old thread: have there been any more updates on this series (or 'The Citadels')? New authors, changed authors, titles, release updates, or anything? I understand that some things might be NDA, but it has been a while enough that things might be changed. I'm quite interested in seeing the progression of this series.

Not from my end. I do have suspicions as to the identity of a third Dungeons author (at least, as of November), but I'm just too darn squirrelly to say. (Well actually, it wouldn't be my place. )

quote:
Why is it that there is such a large lead-time for some of these projects?

As I understand it, WotC commissions novels. They contract them before they're written, so they can supervise every step of the writing process. The reason they do this is pretty clear: since writers are working in shared worlds, they need to exercise fairly tight control over the lines. This is partly to avoid stepping on toes (Can't have that loose cannon de Bie killing Elminster -- Ed's using him in such-and-such a book (and many and so on and so forth)), and partly for continuity issues (what? Drizzt was faring the sea at that time? But in this other book, which takes place about the same time, he's fighting in the Underdark! Realmslore error! Realmslore error!).

Trust me, Wizards does the best feasible job keeping everything consistent with other authors, sourcebooks, web publications, etc. It's a big world -- you've got to have a management of sorts.

So there's the reason for lead-time.

Now, why so much? Well, Wizards doesn't want to apply undue pressure to authors to get stuff in so fast. I believe they used to give authors about a year to write a book -- I think they've actually decreased it. I had 9 months or so to write Ghostwalker, and 6 to write Depths, I believe. There is also a substantial editing process, involving rewrites and multiple drafts, which eats up a few months, and typesetting takes a while.

And this isn't all that unusual -- as far as I'm aware, the standard wait time on a book is 12 months after the agent takes it off your hands, and that's a complete manuscript, not a commission.

Also, on top of all that, WotC is constantly planning where it wants to take its settings. The forecast is long-reaching (as might be evidenced by contracting stuff from the divine Bearded One out for quite a ways).

So, all said, those are some of the reasons behind WotC's policies, as I understand them.

I couldn't comment on things that are contracted for beyond two or three years, except to say that it might be forecasting (like I mentioned earlier) or it might be sheer volume (how many things is Ed contracted to do at the moment? Isn't it in the low teens?). Remember, WotC does have a bunch of authors -- the editors work really hard over there. I believe mine said she had three manuscripts to get through before she could get to Depths.

quote:
Also - as a side-note - is it just me - or has WOC severly lengthened the lead-time Between novels in a series? I remember a time when they would come out every 3-6 months - instead of the nearly full year wait we generally have now. I mainly am curious - again - as to why. I don't like to read too much in-between books in a series - and having to wait 2 years after the first book comes out is - well - putting be behind in realmslore! LOL - Yes - I could read them as they are released - but I have a tendancy to forget some aspects of books if there is too great a wait in between.

I don't know about this -- it isn't something I've noticed. The WotSQ books came out over about two years, didn't they? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure the Priests came out over one, and the Fighters is coming out over less than one (Master in Sept, Bladesinger in April). Erevis Cale came out July 2003 (Twilight Falling) to November 2005 ([i]Midnight's Mask[/i}). I suppose it's different for the different authors. RAS has said at signings that he writes one book a year. Ed writes more than that. And some write in other settings as well.

I guess the best answer is, well, it varies.

quote:
Also - since it IS January - and Erik said he had a January deadline for the first draft - how is that going? Surely the ststus of the first draft is not covered by NDA! Unless of course the novel has some temporal-planar relationship to WotC's publishing division in its very pages......Nah - Too weird!

Nope, status of the draft isn't NDA'd -- I don't think.

So let's see. . . . straight face. . . deep breath. . .

Yep. I did it. Blew my deadline. Totally missed the draft. Got fired. No more fictions from me.

Ok, I lied.

I finished the first draft in December. A month ahead of schedule.

Cheers
Dhomal Posted - 15 Jan 2006 : 00:52:55
Hello-

Well - I noticed that this was an old thread about halfway through - but kept on reading anyway! :)

I certainly understand the need for NDA's (*even if I don't like it!*) but have a question for any of the FR authors/THO:

Why is it that there is such a large lead-time for some of these projects?

I read from THO that Ed has something due out in 2009, and that it was handed in in 2002. Now - I'm just curious - WHY wait so long? I realize that there may STILL be some NDA reasons for this - but it seems that in 'general' this could be addressed without stepping on Mr. NDA's pesky toes (*even though I'd like to 'tiptoe throught the tulips' of Mr. NDA's toes sometimes!*)

Also - as a side-note - is it just me - or has WOC severly lengthened the lead-time Between novels in a series? I remember a time when they would come out every 3-6 months - instead of the nearly full year wait we generally have now. I mainly am curious - again - as to why. I don't like to read too much in-between books in a series - and having to wait 2 years after the first book comes out is - well - putting be behind in realmslore! LOL - Yes - I could read them as they are released - but I have a tendancy to forget some aspects of books if there is too great a wait in between. I learned that first-hand with the Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman, as well as the SF Donaldson Gap series - which I am fairly sure I never even finished as I got so mind-numbingly lost in the 2nd or 3rd book.

Also - since it IS January - and Erik said he had a January deadline for the first draft - how is that going? Surely the ststus of the first draft is not covered by NDA! Unless of course the novel has some temporal-planar relationship to WotC's publishing division in its very pages......Nah - Too weird!

Dhomal
Smyther Posted - 14 Jan 2006 : 23:53:08
Just curious to ressurect an old thread: have there been any more updates on this series (or 'The Citadels')? New authors, changed authors, titles, release updates, or anything? I understand that some things might be NDA, but it has been a while enough that things might be changed. I'm quite interested in seeing the progression of this series.
EdGentry Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 14:22:55
Congratulations Jaleigh!!!

Ed Greenwood has stuff submitted that has to wait until 2009? Yikes, I thought my publication date of 2008 was a long wait, heh.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 04:02:38
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

Wow. How can authors stand not seeing the fruits of their labor for two years!?! I'm looking forward to your work Jaleigh.

Believe it or not, sometimes it's better that way, at least for me. It gives you a chance to distance yourself from a project. If my novel/short story/article/etc... manuscript I've submitted doesn't go over well, or doesn't get published at all, I've already moved on to the next thing. If it does get published and is well received, it's a worthwhile wait. :)

That's a great point. The most amusing thing is when one's style evolves a large amount between books, and you look back on something and say "Wow -- I wrote that?"

quote:
Speaking of which, thanks for all the kind words, guys, about RotDII, and the upcoming book. :)

Quite -- same from me, from my perspective!

Cheers indeed!
Jaleigh J. Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 01:07:05
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

Wow. How can authors stand not seeing the fruits of their labor for two years!?! I'm looking forward to your work Jaleigh.

Believe it or not, sometimes it's better that way, at least for me. It gives you a chance to distance yourself from a project. If my novel/short story/article/etc... manuscript I've submitted doesn't go over well, or doesn't get published at all, I've already moved on to the next thing. If it does get published and is well received, it's a worthwhile wait. :) Speaking of which, thanks for all the kind words, guys, about RotDII, and the upcoming book. :)
The Hooded One Posted - 08 Aug 2005 : 23:06:25
Ahh, Brian, imagine how Ed of the Greenwood feels. He has prose sitting in WotC's hands that won't be published until 2009 (and was handed in back in 2002!).
Of course, he's also late on his current project . . .
love,
THO

P.S. And no, I'm afraid I can't be more specific.
James P. Davis Posted - 08 Aug 2005 : 20:19:51
quote:
I had to wait for the all-clear from the powers that be, but I can now say that I'm going to be part of the Dungeons series as well. My book is tentatively titled, The Howling Delve, and is due to be released in 2007. :)

--Jaleigh Johnson

Congrats Jaleigh! Excellent news!

--James
Brian R. James Posted - 08 Aug 2005 : 00:05:47
hammer of Moradin Posted - 07 Aug 2005 : 23:45:22
As I've mentioned in other Worlds, congratulations Erik and Jaleigh!
It looks like you'll both have your drafts in well before they are published.
Xysma Posted - 07 Aug 2005 : 05:41:06
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

If any authors of the other novels are here at Candlekeep, please speak up. Ok, maybe you're not permitted to give the novel title or details just yet but it would be nice to know who you are

I had to wait for the all-clear from the powers that be, but I can now say that I'm going to be part of the Dungeons series as well. My book is tentatively titled, The Howling Delve, and is due to be released in 2007. :)

--Jaleigh Johnson

Congratulations! "Queen of the Mountain" was excellent, I was hoping we'd get to see more of your work.
Jaleigh J. Posted - 05 Aug 2005 : 03:52:22
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met, Jaleigh, glad to see thee back at Candlekeep

This is splendid news, congratulations. The Howling Delve eh? Hmmm, that rings a bell for some reason. Tell me, if ye can, where will this tale be set?

Thank you, Alaundo. I'm afraid I'm not allowed to tell at the moment where the story will be set, but I will say I tried to pick a spot on the map that hasn't seen a lot of action. The fewer toes trod on, the better, and all that. ;)

Thanks Erik, and congrats to you too. :)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 05 Aug 2005 : 02:42:52
quote:

quote:

If any authors of the other novels are here at Candlekeep, please speak up. Ok, maybe you're not permitted to give the novel title or details just yet but it would be nice to know who you are

--Jaleigh Johnson

Yay Jaleigh! Congrats!

Cheers
Alaundo Posted - 04 Aug 2005 : 23:24:26
quote:

quote:

--Jaleigh Johnson

Well met, Jaleigh, glad to see thee back at Candlekeep

This is splendid news, congratulations. The Howling Delve eh? Hmmm, that rings a bell for some reason. Tell me, if ye can, where will this tale be set?

Jaleigh J. Posted - 04 Aug 2005 : 22:50:57
quote:

--Jaleigh Johnson

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000