Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Next CLASS series of novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  20:06:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, who knows? Sure, the stated intent is to stick with non-big name authors, and Undermountain has certainly seen a lot of coverage (including a horrible novel).

But...

The Cities series has featured some non-big name authors. And Waterdeep is the most covered place in all the Realms. But we've still got the Waterdeep novel coming out from Ed and Elaine.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  00:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting, could also have plenty of potential for adventuring companies to feature, which I have to say I'd like to see more of.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  05:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Cough* *Cough* I really shouldn't say anything else. I REALLY shouldn't. *Cough*

Tiny, wee details per my understanding (not necessarily official):

1) each novel does indeed focus, in some respect, on a particular dungeon, which need not necessarily be one previously covered in Realmslore;

2) Undermountain, to my knowledge, is not necessarily out of the running. All I can say is, well, I am not writing about it.

All of that said, I have no idea what other dungeons are going to be focused upon, whether they're old, new, known, or unknown -- only my own.

And having said that, I'm not going to say anything about my own dungeon of choice, or the characters, or anything else. Kinda that NDA thingy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 05 Jul 2005 05:47:52
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  08:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

*Cough* *Cough* I really shouldn't say anything else. I REALLY shouldn't. *Cough*

Tiny, wee details per my understanding (not necessarily official):

1) each novel does indeed focus, in some respect, on a particular dungeon, which need not necessarily be one previously covered in Realmslore;

2) Undermountain, to my knowledge, is not necessarily out of the running. All I can say is, well, I am not writing about it.

All of that said, I have no idea what other dungeons are going to be focused upon, whether they're old, new, known, or unknown -- only my own.

And having said that, I'm not going to say anything about my own dungeon of choice, or the characters, or anything else. Kinda that NDA thingy.

Cheers

Well met

Oh, this NDA thing is over-rated. Worry not, Erik, feel free to spill the beans Seriously, many thanks for this information, it's greatly appreciated and i'm quite excited about this series. Just a shame it is limited to a set number of novels. It would have been nice to have been ongoing (as would the Cities series), like the Harpers series and cover many of the dungeons of the Realms.

Hmmmmm, perhaps we should open up a new scroll on The Dungeons if any wish to discuss further

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  11:57:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Hmmmmm, perhaps we should open up a new scroll on The Dungeons if any wish to discuss further

I'll second that idea.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  12:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is fantastic news! I rather like the concept of having Dungeons being a theme. It has a lot of appeal and a lot of potential for great realmslore.

And special congrats to Smyther for successfully predicting the next series. Got a line on some Lottery numbers for me?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  17:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I'll second that idea.

That is a grand idea -- not sure how much info you'll get, since as far as I know I'm the only one who's announced a novel in the Dungeons (I think I'm one of the first in that series), and I'm staying fairly quiet about it, seeing as how it's such a long way off.

But speculation and rumor and whatnot is always fun. Go for it!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  18:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a grand idea -- not sure how much info you'll get, since as far as I know I'm the only one who's announced a novel in the Dungeons (I think I'm one of the first in that series), and I'm staying fairly quiet about it, seeing as how it's such a long way off.

But speculation and rumor and whatnot is always fun. Go for it!

Cheers

Well met. 'tis done. I hereby present the new discussion scroll.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  08:04:52  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted ranger. I doubt that there will be any further novels based on class though. Not that I wouldn't like there to be. I have noticed that the four class series cover the basic adventuring party. Usually there is a fighter, priest/cleric, thief, and wizard. I don't know if this was WOTC plan or not but it seems like since that was the original party formation that maybe the class series will have come to an end. I hope I am wrong. I think there are a lot of stories to be told about the other classes.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  14:49:35  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a Barbarians series. As for the other category. How about Pirates?
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  15:13:58  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok so we had the Rogues series and the Priests series. We will be getting the Fighters and then the Wizards. Which class series do you want to see most come afterwards??

The Adepts.

I voted for others. As I'd quite like to see a book or two focussing on adepts. I've been thinking abut a story about how a goblin adept strives to protect his tribe from predations of more civilised races for some time.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  22:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think some classes got lumped in with the "basic" classes that had a series named after them--for example, Son of Thunder features barbarians even though the series it is placed in is called "The Fighters".

And I have to agree that it's unlikely there will be any more "class novels" anytime soon.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I’d like to see a focus on Bards.

As a Dungeon Master I feel that I am missing some prestige classes and magical items for this class.

And I would like to see some high level Npc in Forgotten Realms, form novels and other sources

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 24 Jan 2007 23:21:37
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  02:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

A Rogues novel--specifically The Yellow Silk--features a protagonist bard.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  22:25:25  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be alone here, but I'd love to see a stand alone novel that doesn't belong to any series. One that just, you know, stands alone. Imagine buying a FR book with unique graphics and fonts on its spine.

It could sit on your book shelf along with other oddities such as The Shadow Stone, Once Around the Realms, and The Glass Prison.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  02:18:46  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My hope is ranger. But I'm not sure if there is enough diversity to explore a group of novels.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:46:45  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since WOTC has done the 4 main core classes, it might be cool to branch out into others. How about paladin. ranger would also be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  10:38:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt that we will see any other class novels at all, actually! The other classes are too similar in one way or the other with the classes that we have read about so far that I see little interest personally to read about them...... so I voted others.

Of course we all know by now that it will be 'Dungeons'. So who will start the next poll - with dungeons and cities published or in the works, what will be next? Oceans, Lands, Mountains or even Forests?

Than again, the next serie might focus on something totally different again, such as RACES! That'd be great, truth to be told, getting some insight to the underrepresented and often forgotten short folks, dwarves nad halflings! Wouldn't you agree???

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 27 Jan 2007 10:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  15:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think some classes got lumped in with the "basic" classes that had a series named after them--for example, Son of Thunder features barbarians even though the series it is placed in is called "The Fighters".

And I have to agree that it's unlikely there will be any more "class novels" anytime soon.

In fact, my recollection of the events is that I was invited to do "the barbarian novel" for the Fighters series, which turned out to be Son of Thunder. So I think barbarians were intended to be dealt with in that series from the beginning, just as there was a bard novel in the Rogues.
Go to Top of Page

whyfight
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  21:25:34  Show Profile  Visit whyfight's Homepage Send whyfight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I doubt that we will see any other class novels at all, actually! The other classes are too similar in one way or the other with the classes that we have read about so far that I see little interest personally to read about them...... so I voted others.

Of course we all know by now that it will be 'Dungeons'. So who will start the next poll - with dungeons and cities published or in the works, what will be next? Oceans, Lands, Mountains or even Forests?

Than again, the next serie might focus on something totally different again, such as RACES! That'd be great, truth to be told, getting some insight to the underrepresented and often forgotten short folks, dwarves nad halflings! Wouldn't you agree???

I would really like to see druids, im a big fan of the class and think they would make good stand alone books. And i was just about to say something about the lack(and by lack i mean none)of books about dwarves and its sad seeing as they are one of funniers more charismatic races and everyone loves them.

An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  00:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

. . .

And I would like to see some high level Npc in Forgotten Realms, form novels and other sources

It's a Fighters novel, I know, but a high level bard named Dharan Greyt is a VIC ("very important character") in Ghostwalker.

I've often heard that he's the best or, at least, most developed character in the novel.

Music is actually quite important to that novel.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  04:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books on any of the following classes: Bard, Monk or Knight

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  00:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be weird and say: Psychics/Psionicists
Covering Psions, Psionic Warriors, Soulknives, Wilders, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  18:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The House of Serpents trilogy isn't about psionics, but it features several psionicists and a lot of psionic use. And besides that, it's a great trilogy.

Anyway, I don't think psionics are common enough in the Realms to warrant a whole series about the subject the way the more "normal" classes did.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  20:07:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, I don't think psionics are common enough in the Realms to warrant a whole series about the subject the way the more "normal" classes did.

Not only that, but there's also the perception that psionics is more sci-fi than fantasy. Right or wrong, I can see this perception weighing heavily on the decision of whether or not to do a psionics series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  20:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

. . .

It's a Fighters novel, I know, but a high level bard named Dharan Greyt is a VIC ("very important character") in Ghostwalker.

I've often heard that he's the best or, at least, most developed character in the novel.

Cheers

Okay are there any other places were I can find information on this man: Dharan Greyt

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  05:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not only that, but there's also the perception that psionics is more sci-fi than fantasy. Right or wrong, I can see this perception weighing heavily on the decision of whether or not to do a psionics series.

I'm just tossing it out there. The OP did ask what classes you wanted to see as a novel series next. I know psionics is too niche to really warrant even a full novel focused on it let alone a series of four. However, psionics is the next big category after the four classic D&D archetypes; after martial, skill, divine and arcane, the next most established other source of ability/power is psionics.

I'll definitely acknowledge the sci-fi spin on psionics with their use of pop-psychology and pseudoscientific terms, but I usually give psionics an eastern fantasy spin in my own campaigns, which is what we see with a lot of psionic materials nowadays. I would like to say that stranger things have happened, though in this case that probably doesn't apply.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  15:29:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

. . .

Cheers

Okay are there any other places were I can find information on this man: Dharan Greyt

Well...apart from asking Eric, nope.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:43:31  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, like many others, that an adventureing book would be good. There are so many refrences to pirates and pirate kings and yet there are none that i know of that have their own book. Drizzt had his run in with pirates a while back but they were not the main focus.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rangers would be pretty cool i would think. them or bards would be interesting

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000