Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Historical/Fictional Adaptations in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 03 Aug 2005 : 14:09:02
A Grand Tour of the Realms

Cormyr: King Arthur's England (without the french satire)
Tashalar: Pirates of the Carribean
Chult: The Lost World
The Dragon Coast: Sinbad
Northmen of Moonshaes: Normay, Viking Culture
Tuigan Army: The Huns, and Gengis Kahn
Rasheman: Russia, Finland
Anauroch: Arabic Culture, particularily amoung the Bedine
Unther: Mesopotamia/Sumeria
Chessenta: Ancient Greece
Mulhrondi: Ancient Egpyt
Amn: Italian mercantile city (Mevieval/Renaissance Venitia)
Tethyr: Moorish Spain, northern southern mix
Erlkazar: Scotland w/ moorish influence
Calimshan: Medieval Turkey and Byzantine Empire
Lake of Steam states and Bordern kingdoms: Crusader states
Dalelands: Wales, pre-english occupation

Editted for Webmanus
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auzoros Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 05:09:47
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I ran a campaign in Amn for a while, and I read non fiction books on Moorish spain, and some of the Knightly Orders from Cordoba. Also for Amn and even Waterdeep, I developed alot of characters by studying Florence Italy.

Florence Italy seems to be the closest medieval equivalent to Waterdeep. A merchant city state with a very powerful army. Studying the Medici family may help in giving insight into the Noble families of Waterdeep.

Or you can now play Assassin's Creed 2!
Asgetrion Posted - 31 Aug 2005 : 13:24:06
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos

Does Rasheman and their similarities with Norse culture count?

Actually, I think that the Rashemaar have more in common with Russians. "Historical" Finland is more similar to the Savage Frontier (for example, settlements near the High Forest) or the Dalelands on the fringes of/within Cormanthor. The finnish culture has very little to do with "Norse culture" (if used in the "Viking" sense of the word).
Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 31 Aug 2005 : 13:16:50
I think Tethyr is France because of all the revolutions and nobleslaying that it had before Zaranda took over. And Moonshae is definetly Britain because of all the druids and Northmen (viking) attacks (plus in the Moonshae trilogy there was quite a lot of king arthur thing going on with the old sword and everything).
Faramicos Posted - 11 Aug 2005 : 14:36:20
The historical inspiration should never be any more than a means of describing the appearance and general emotions of a society. It should never be a hindrance for the DM in the evolution of an area or even worse the adventure itself... But it can be a useful tool to make the players understand the areas dynamics.
Misericordia Posted - 11 Aug 2005 : 12:24:06
quote:

True, like I said before its a fantasy campaign, not a historical one. In many ways, making note of cultural and historical adaptations is simply a matter of options for the DM. Historical adaptations are a seasoning, not a filler.

Agree. But I found useful make ties to hystorycal states for FR countries, specially for mid to high level adventures. When the PC get involved with politics and so on, it's more easy to know "how it works" in state ruling, economy and so on.
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 11 Aug 2005 : 00:07:38
quote:
Well, there are definite places that are influenced by cultures in the realms. But I hardly think all the areas are, and that you will severely stunt your creativity by comparing them all. There are obvious ones, but then the places like Sembia are such a mix you cannot compare it.

True, like I said before its a fantasy campaign, not a historical one. In many ways, making note of cultural and historical adaptations is simply a matter of options for the DM. A DM should never say 'Well England never did this, so this realm never did this'. These historical tie-ins shouldn't be anything but icing on the cake. It's sort of like adding music or visual aids to your campaign: they can help, but are NEVER more important than the campaign itself. Taking a look at everything now, I'd say we've got a pretty decent enough list.
I know I'm the one who asked what Sembia might be, but I now see that it does sound like Sembia really is Sembia, nothing else. Historical adaptations are a seasoning, not a filler.
Mournblade Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 22:36:54
Well, there are definite places that are influenced by cultures in the realms. But I hardly think all the areas are, and that you will severely stunt your creativity by comparing them all. There are obvious ones, but then the places like Sembia are such a mix you cannot compare it.

Whenever a writer creates things they are going to draw on their past experiences. I am sure there are all kinds of historical influences on Sembia but I do not think any of them were intentional.

Especially since, Sembia was ORIGINALLY in 1st ed, an area TSR promised not to develop:)

COrmyr I still have set up as a feudal society. IN the late middle ages towns would apply for charters. And I interpret cormyr towns as doing Just that.

khorne Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 16:44:25
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

Personally I think that Sembia is Sembia

Hmm....pardon my asking, why is it so?

Because I feel that the feel of Sembia contains influences from so many places (can't believe no-one has mentioned the Netherlands yet) that it has become its own place to an even greater extent than most of the lands in the Realms.

Hey, the Netherlands weren`t ruled by ruthless merchants!
Kajehase Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 16:29:50
quote:

quote:

Because I feel that the feel of Sembia contains influences from so many places (can't believe no-one has mentioned the Netherlands yet) that it has become its own place to an even greater extent than most of the lands in the Realms.
The Sage Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 15:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

Wait a tick, Lady K?

Yes, the Lady Kazandra and the love of my life . She is originally from Wales .
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 14:53:46
quote:
Sir Luther, just a tiny issue... it's Wales

Oh, Tressym Testicles!

Thank you, I'm a moron

Wait a tick, Lady K?
The Sage Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 14:50:25
quote:

I see The Dalelands as a Whales/Canada Mix, sort of like how Erlkazar was a Scotish Moorish Mix.
I'm sure that if the Lady K were here, she'd be jumping up and down about this ...

Sir Luther, just a tiny issue... it's Wales .
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 14:45:11
Now for Sembia,

If any realm resembles the USA, I'd actually say it's Amn.

Sembia, on the other hand, I can see some of the italian influences, but remember that France itself had a lot of italian influence (it's language was very latin based). Not to mention, there is an age old rivarly for land between Cormyr and Sembia, not to mention some of the names sound sort of french...kind of? What do you think?
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 14:41:19
quote:
SEMBIA: Money-grubbing country filled with self-important puffed-up would-be world rulers by coins....living directly beneath/beside

THE DALES: a benevolent and kind congolomerate of villagers just wanting to be left alone to the good life among the trees and fields of their homes
quote:
And always keeping a wary eye toward the expansionistic realms dwelling directly to the south... .

ROFL! As a Canadian, THIS IS HILARIOUS!

Ya, its true, we get constantly screwed over when it comes to trade with an anomynous, expansionistic country to the south which will not be named. But hey, not all americans are money grubbing. If you ask me, it depends on what state you live in .

Wow, now I need a T-shirt that says 'Elminster was a Canadian!"

Actually, the more I think about it, I think the resemblence to Canada is due to the fact that Canada is somewhat in a similar situation to Whales pre-english occupation: the constant pressure of the saxons, independent people, vast forests, 'benevolent' people (by benevolent we certainly act nice, but there isn't a country that isn't bombarded by our satire).

I see The Dalelands as a Whales/Canada Mix, sort of like how Erlkazar was a Scotish Moorish Mix.
The Sage Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 14:22:59
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

THE DALES: a benevolent and kind congolomerate of villagers just wanting to be left alone to the good life among the trees and fields of their homes.
And always keeping a wary eye toward the expansionistic realms dwelling directly to the south... .
webmanus Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 14:04:27
Irony and sarcasm, sorry Steven, my bells are not the best. Please, elaborate ...

I would like though, to add some comments to why I though I could "fall-back" to, say 13th century Sweden for the Dalelands. And, it was after reading sentences (from the A Grand Tour of the Realms, from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1996)) as the following ones, that made me think that I could pick some pieces from Sweden's history to further elaborate the Dales:

Teaching self-reliance and independence, the Dale communities produce a brave, strong, and free-willes race of women and men who are needed to challenge the forces of evil.
To an outsider, the Dalesmen seem close-mouthed, suspicious, and reserved.
As for the rest of the world, the Dalesmen are fairly well isolated. Bards bring the latest news and rumors.
Each of the Dales is self-governed, but together they form a loose council that meets each year at Midwinter in a different town of the Dalelands.

Sweden has consisted of quite independent provinces (sv. landskap), and one of those provinces is named Dalarna, which could be translated to The Dales (although, the English word is Dalecardia). I just felt that Sweden could provide some base. Thanks, for your time.
khorne Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 13:33:10
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

SEMBIA: Money-grubbing country filled with self-important puffed-up would-be world rulers by coins....living directly beneath/beside

THE DALES: a benevolent and kind congolomerate of villagers just wanting to be left alone to the good life among the trees and fields of their homes.

Doesn't ring any bells of irony and sarcasm for folks?

Steven
Who wishes he were Canadian too some days....

I don`t hear a bell, I hear an entire opera.
Steven Schend Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 13:11:01
quote:

quote:

Doesn't ring any bells of irony and sarcasm for folks?

Steven
Who wishes he were Canadian too some days....
Misericordia Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 11:52:14
quote:

Now here's a question: can anybody see any tie ins for Sembia? France, maybe? Trying to push itself into england, young vibrant power. Maybe not entirely, since it's never identical. But am I the only one who sees some resemblance between Sembia and France?

Personally, I get a whole 'Count of Monte Cristo' feel from Sembia.

I see Sembia as a mix between France and Italian "Signorie" (damn', I don't know english translate for signoria!).
Wealthy state founded on trade, with large use of mercenaries, government kept by an elective autority (overmaster), first finalcial wealth on a Inner Sea, with the problem of new trade route found by Spain (Amn) in the ocean.
Just like Italian states like Florence, Venice, Milan and so on during the Renassaince.
Statal unity, conquering ambitions...like France!

P.S.
Sir Luther, Thay-Vatican is indeed a great idea! And I'm a Roman Catholic, but see no problem in this tie.

Shadovar Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 11:12:28
quote:

Kajehase Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 08:31:22
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 00:30:44
quote:
Cormyr-England and Dales-Wales looks fair good! Dalesmen are known for their fierce independentism, like welsh too.

Why thank you! Know I wasn't born in whales, but I am part Cymran.

Now here's a question: can anybody see any tie ins for Sembia? France, maybe? Trying to push itself into england, young vibrant power. Maybe not entirely, since it's never identical. But am I the only one who sees some resemblance between Sembia and France?

Hmm, Or maybe Belgium....

Personally, I get a whole 'Count of Monte Cristo' feel from Sembia.
Misericordia Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 17:47:58
quote:

Another one I just thought of. The story of King Arthur I believe takes place after Cyrmu (whales) was invaded by england under the king Edward the Longshanks

Probably Arthurian tales are placed in the 6° century, just after roman retreat from Britain.
Arthur himself is probably based on late roman-celt chief, who defended his land against saxon invasion.

Cormyr-England and Dales-Wales looks fair good! Dalesmen are known for their fierce independentism, like welsh too.
webmanus Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 17:31:10
Wales ... longbows ... Dalelands ... yes, could be ... but ... I have no special knowledge about Wales, and Cyrmu/Cymru... never heard about it. When elaborating the Dalelands, I decided some long time ago to go for Sweden 12th-century -- 13th-century ... just to have something to work with ...

But, Cormyr and the Dalelands ... beeing neighbors ... very good point ... England - Wales ... And, the Dalesmen had once a king ... makes me think on the Celtic/Ireland High Kings ... Blast me ... there sinks my Swedish Dalelands
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 15:40:27
Good meeting, Misericordia

Yes, actually I'd say I agree: arthur's camelot tried to put more emphasis on freedom of speech than more other nations of its time, and we all know how Cormyrians love their freedom of speech.

I was just thinking that The Dalelands was Cymru before arthur and english occupation.

Now I'm just wondering what any of the authors think of this list.
Misericordia Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 12:20:10
I think that Cormyr isn't inspired by feudal states, but to the vision of the monarchy as seen in XV century culture (with Arturian based myths), and to the national states system.

So we have an absolut monarchy, but a non-feudal aristocracy.
Nobles tend to influence the Crown at the Royal Court (House Crownsilver), are involved in commerce (House Bleth, keeper of Seven Suns Trading Company), big land-owners (House Cormaeril). Nobles gets all important places in bureocracy, but they don't have the cities government, that like in absolut-states is under control of King-nominated lords (as a matter of fact feudalism works good until cities are few e low populated, and people is more involved in country)

So I see Cormyr more like England in XV century.
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 00:25:02
Another one I just thought of. The story of King Arthur I believe takes place after Cyrmu (whales) was invaded by england under the king Edward the Longshanks (correct, any celtic readers?).

I also did some reading up on Cymru and read that it used to be a mesh of different groups of people, almost like 'dales' (hint hint). Whales as a high affiliation with dragons (their flag has a red dragon on it), and I know the dalelands used to be hunted by dragons (as was Cormyr).

So, how's the possibility that Cormyr is Cyrmu after the English occupation, and The Dalelands are Cyrmu before it? (hence the higher number of humans in Cormyr than in the Dalelands). Not to mention, Dalelands archers are supposed to be the BEST archers out there. I've heard many a historian argue that England had the best archers, when really anyone with some welsh backgroung (which is do slightly) knows that the fabled 'english archers' were really a bunch of welshmen.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 00:18:34
Sorry, Luthor, I really didn't want to come off too harsh, just wanted to point that out. Hope you didn't think I was having a kinipshin or anything, I just don't picture Sasz Tamm wearing a red flaming papal hat either, lol.
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 00:07:44
quote:
Sir Luther . . . I know you don't mean anything by it, and you are going for the whole inquisition angle, but seeing Thay=Vatican is a little hard for a practicing Catholic to take . . .

Whoa whoa, holy roothe droppings, really sorry. Here, consider it as good as changed. I really didn't mean to offend anyone, I really didn't. I honestly didn't mean to imply ANYTHING about praticing catholics, or modern day catholicism!

Oh man, I honestly wasn't thinking someone would get offended! Let me just say, Catholics are DEFINATELY not the stereotype a lot of people give them, and that they are a religion founded on good morals (More like LG than LE)! I was only trying to look at a historical point of view, but once again I got carried away. I know that the spanish inquisition ISN'T an accurate represenation of catholicism itself.

So once again, I'm so sorry! I honestly didn't mean to offend you!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Aug 2005 : 22:27:24
Sir Luther . . . I know you don't mean anything by it, and you are going for the whole inquisition angle, but seeing Thay=Vatican is a little hard for a practicing Catholic to take . . .

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000