Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Who would write a good FR Novel?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 22 May 2005 : 01:21:45
Which authors (Meaning those who havent written for the FR before) do you think would write a good FR novel?

My vote would go to Timothy Zahn author of the Thrawn Trilogy of SW novels.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 14 Jun 2005 : 02:53:26
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

Brian Lumley of Necroscope fame...but then again I like the darker stuff where the heroes don't always win. ;) I really wish the WOTC novels would stop using the comics code on what can and can't be in their books.

I'll agree with you there, on both the author suggestion and about the code for the various WotC books. But we have to remember that younger child sometimes purchase or read WotC books from their local gaming store, or at the local library -- so the code, for the most part, is necessary.

As an aside though, I'd like to see Lumley's interpretation of Szass Tam.
LordEverhate Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 17:58:54
Brian Lumley of Necroscope fame...but then again I like the darker stuff where the heroes don't always win. ;) I really wish the WOTC novels would stop using the comics code on what can and can't be in their books.
Antareana Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 02:36:48
If it was for a dark and intriguing novel, I would vote for Wolfgang Holbein... the only problem is that he's a german
oh and I would love to read a FR novel from Terry... pretty much the funniest book of the Realms ever to be written

I also like Peter S Beagle's novels and his style, but I don't know whether his... hm... let's call it "impressionistic" style would suit the Realms that well
khorne Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 17:17:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

I would also suggest Terry Pratchett, but I don`t dare because the thought of what he might write in the realms is to..........let`s just say "territory better left unexplored".

Rincewind in the Realms... Hmmm.... Now how might that go .

Unseen university unleashed on the realms.....

... Ook!

The librarian unleashed on candlekeep...........(argh, Ulraunt would never survive that)
The Sage Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 14:10:33
quote:

quote:

quote:

I would also suggest Terry Pratchett, but I don`t dare because the thought of what he might write in the realms is to..........let`s just say "territory better left unexplored".

... Ook!
khorne Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 10:40:16
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 04:37:29
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Speaking of authors that have a more irreverant slant to their fantasy, has anyone ever read anything from Tom Holt? He might be an interesting person to recruit for the Realms, though I would almost fear for what Ruathym would be like afterwards . . .

I've read Flying Dutch, and I quite enjoyed that one.
The Sage Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 02:23:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, but that's not necessarily a Discworld reference per se. Terry borrowed it from ancient mythology, remember.
love,
THO

Indeed. The second incarnation of the Hindu deity Vishnu is a sea turtle. According to Hindu myth, four elephants standing on a turtle's back hold up the universe. When the earth shook, it was believed this was because the creatures supporting it were moving about.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 01:38:40
Speaking of authors that have a more irreverant slant to their fantasy, has anyone ever read anything from Tom Holt? He might be an interesting person to recruit for the Realms, though I would almost fear for what Ruathym would be like afterwards . . .
Melfius Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 00:59:25
Though I haven't read David Brin, it reminded me of the Gaean Trilogy by John Varley. He had a way of bringing new, yet old, races to life (if you read it, you know what I mean).
KnightErrantJR Posted - 02 Jun 2005 : 00:30:38
Wooly, the first few Discworld novels, in my opinion, were a little dry, and tried a bit to hard to be a direct parody of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. The later books, where the setting took on more of its own character, were hilarious, especially the more Death showed up.

Back on topic though . . . here is another off beat suggestion. Has anyone read David Brin's uplift novels? He seemed to be able to make different species with different cultures seem beleivable, so hey, who knows?
The Hooded One Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 19:43:13
Yes, but that's not necessarily a Discworld reference per se. Terry borrowed it from ancient mythology, remember.
love,
THO
The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 03:41:14
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually, I believe Discworld was indirectly mentioned in the original Spelljammer boxed set... Page 65 of the Lorebook of the Void, under Starbeasts, includes the line the world is held by a giant on the backs of four elephants, which in turn rest on a huge turtle, which moves about at the bottom of the crystal shell. A similar set-up is mentioned on the next page, only now it's four elephants on eight dragons on a turtle.
Ah yes, I remember that know. But the starbeasts have no gravity or atmosphere, so "indirect" is definitely the important word there.

In addition, I don't think starbeasts have their own orbiting sun and moon.

quote:
...I seem to recall a passing mention of the world being supported by four elepants on a turtle.
That's right -- four giant elephants upon whose shoulders the disc of the world rests.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 03:30:04
quote:

quote:
So what would the name of Discworld's Crystal Sphere be anyway?
It may be a little difficult to encompass the entire realm of the Discworld in a crystal sphere -- remember, the Great A'Tuin is always moving...

On a related note though, Pratchett's style, as well as many of his curious creations from the novels have heavily influenced my gaming style in my Planescape campaigns on occasion.

Actually, I believe Discworld was indirectly mentioned in the original Spelljammer boxed set... Page 65 of the Lorebook of the Void, under Starbeasts, includes the line the world is held by a giant on the backs of four elephants, which in turn rest on a huge turtle, which moves about at the bottom of the crystal shell. A similar set-up is mentioned on the next page, only now it's four elephants on eight dragons on a turtle.

Page 73 of the Concordance of Arcane Space illustrates a sphere with at least three elephants supporting a hemispheric world on their backs; the elephants stand on a turtle that is directly on the crystal sphere.

I've only read one Discworld novel (which didn't impress me), but I seem to recall a passing mention of the world being supported by four elepants on a turtle.
The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 03:25:24
I'll keep that in mind .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 03:09:10
quote:

quote:
To The Sage, Wooly, and SirUrza: "Once A Hero" it is. As for where: sorry, I didn't overhear that part. My ears are only so long, you know. They'd be longer, but my get in the way.
Strangely, I don't have a copy of that one.

Thank you Lady Hooded One. I'll track down this novel with the utmost haste... .

I think it's still available; I'm fairly certain I saw it the other day at B&N. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll see if that copy is still there.
The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 02:27:23
quote:

quote:
It may be a little difficult to encompass the entire realm of the Discworld in a crystal sphere -- remember, the Great A'Tuin is always moving...

On a related note though, Pratchett's style, as well as many of his curious creations from the novels have heavily influenced my gaming style in my Planescape campaigns on occasion.
The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 02:15:33
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Now I'll mention a few authors from whom I'd love to see their takes on the Realms:
Guy Gavriel Kay
Neil Gaiman
J. Robert King
Neil Gaiman... very good choice for any fantasy novel author. However, I feel he'd be more at home in the Eberron setting, writing about Dal-Quor.

quote:
Chris Clairmont did some excellent work on the X-Men for years, but somehow I see him as the prototype for authors that burn out on material that they used to write brilliantly.
Have any of you read Chris's sci-fi/fantasty novels?

quote:
To The Sage, Wooly, and SirUrza: "Once A Hero" it is. As for where: sorry, I didn't overhear that part. My ears are only so long, you know. They'd be longer, but my get in the way.
Strangely, I don't have a copy of that one.

Thank you Lady Hooded One. I'll track down this novel with the utmost haste... .
Melfius Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 01:45:35
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Flatland?
KnightErrantJR Posted - 01 Jun 2005 : 01:41:05
Maybe if we gave Terry one of the undefined continents, we could enjoy his writing while minimizing the damage . . .

khorne Posted - 31 May 2005 : 19:05:21
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2005 : 03:28:44
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To all who suggested * I * write a Realms novel: sure, I think I could write a dandy book. The question is: would WotC publish it?
You think Ed's quill runs a little blue . . .
love to all,
THO

Thank you for sharing that title, dear Lady Hooded One. 'Tis another reason for me to try to track down that title.

Edit: Whoops, my bad. That's not the book I'm missing... Though I don't really see how this one could have been done in the Realms, it is a very good novel. There was a lot of nifty things in there, and a couple of things that caught me by surprise.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:59:46
I know this tends to show what we read outside of the Forgotten Realms, but hey . . .

Has anyone read K.W. Jeter's bounty hunter Star Wars book? They seemed to have a flair for dark underworld seedy environments that might work well in places like Mulmaster or Westgate.

The Hooded One Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:56:08
To all who suggested * I * write a Realms novel: sure, I think I could write a dandy book. The question is: would WotC publish it?
You think Ed's quill runs a little blue . . .
love to all,
THO
KnightErrantJR Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:56:05
Just to clarify . . . I meant another Canadian, i.e. Ed Greenwood is Canadian and so is John Bryne, not to imply that either Grant Morrison or Chris Clairmont were Canadian. Sorry for any confusion.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:52:21
Actually, no I haven't. The last time I tried to get back into the X-books was when Grant Morrison took over. I think he started out brilliantly and came up with some much needed shaking up, but in the end it just seemed like he wanted to do as much damage as he could to say that he had done something "different."

So now I hate Scott, think that Jean was a really wishy washy person dispite saving reality, and feel like Magneto went from one of Marvel's prime villains to an out of step has been. Nice work Grant! (But I loved his Justice League stuff . . . really!)

To keep this post on track just let me say that Grant would NOT be a one of my picks to write in the Forgotten Realms. (Though maybe another Canadian, one associated with the X-Men, might be interesting . . . John Byrne?)
Melfius Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:43:13
I read the first follow-up to Willow and thought it was good.

Have you picked up any of "The End" books for the X-Men? This is where Claremont decides how the X-Men would meet their makers if he was writing the stories. Thus far, pretty good.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 31 May 2005 : 02:35:48
Chris Clairmont did some excellent work on the X-Men for years, but somehow I see him as the prototype for authors that burn out on material that they used to write brilliantly. Chris Clairmont's X-Men stories, after years and years of writing them, seem to suffer from the same issue that a lot of scribes here feel that RAS's books suffer from, i.e. the same themes and storylines over and over again, the convoluted inventions that come about to tell the same basic type of story at a different time . . .

But then again, its new territory, and Chris has written brilliantly in the past. Did anyone read his "Willow" follow up stories for Lucas . . I never read them and I always wondered if they were any good.
Melfius Posted - 31 May 2005 : 01:36:08
Since Steve mentioned J. Robert King, I got to thinking of the other authors that made up the 'Wild Card Consortium' and, although Melinda Snodgrass was the first to come to mind, the one that really stood out was Chris Claremont. If they could pry him away from the X-Men books for a bit, I would love to see a series by him.
Steven Schend Posted - 30 May 2005 : 23:20:38
I agree on a few authors mentioned--JMS and DeLint in particular.

I blush at being mentioned with others, and thank folks for the ego-massage.

Now I'll mention a few authors from whom I'd love to see their takes on the Realms:
Guy Gavriel Kay
Neil Gaiman
J. Robert King

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000