Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Who would write a good FR Novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  01:21:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which authors (Meaning those who havent written for the FR before) do you think would write a good FR novel?

My vote would go to Timothy Zahn author of the Thrawn Trilogy of SW novels.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  01:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think an George R. R. Martin would write an amazing novel if given the right region. Something like Cormyr or the Dalelands and their battles with Zhentil Keep, Darkhold, and dealings with Sembia.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  06:19:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has Krash written any novels?

Zahn would be a good choice... A couple of other personal faves that I think could do good novels, assuming they were familiar with the setting:

Raymond E Feist
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Michael Stackpole

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  06:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles De Lint-no contest.

Oh, and we'd likely never get an RSE out of something he wrote...

Neal Stephenson would be nice, too.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  08:29:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Has Krash written any novels?
That would be nice .

As an aside, I wouldn't mind seeing Steven Schend try his hand at writing a complete novel. As I recall, he's only written one short story which appeared in the Realms of the Deep anthology -- namely "Persana's Blade".

quote:
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Both perfectly acceptable choices, at least to me. Although, I'd prefer an FR novel by Hickman rather than Weis, because Hickman has a more adaptable writing style.

quote:
Michael Stackpole
I'd figured you'd bring him up, and I was actually intending on doing the same before I read your reply . Stackpole's fantasy writings are really an acquired taste though, and I have the feeling from them that he'd be better suited to writing about Athas or Krynn, rather than Toril.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

StromLancer
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  08:57:40  Show Profile  Visit StromLancer's Homepage Send StromLancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i have one recommendation:
Richard A.Knaack(quite famous already for writing many popular novels.)

This author is highly recommended for he had written many novels that had now become among the best novels in the world.

Lead the war fate commands you to!
...but are you fighting the true enemy?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  10:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StromLancer
Well i have one recommendation:
Richard A.Knaack(quite famous already for writing many popular novels.)

This author is highly recommended for he had written many novels that had now become among the best novels in the world.

Yes, I agree with StromLancer. Richard A.Knaack is indeed a fantastic author, a sad thing that he never wrote any FR novels though he wrote many fanstastic Dragonlance novels.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  12:36:58  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to second the call for Timothy Zahn.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  13:12:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend for an FR novel, definitely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  13:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lynn Flewelling would be cool, if she knows the setting. "The Bone Doll's Twin" was refreshing.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  13:31:22  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Robert Jordan was given free rein with the amount of pages in his book, he would definitely write a winner.

Knaak is also good. Day Of The Dragon is fantastic.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  00:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote would be for Janny Wurtz

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:21:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To The Sage: interesting. Michael Stackpole wrote a novel that he showed to Ed at a GenCon (in published form, from another publisher, as a stand-alone fantasy) and said he'd wanted it to be a Realms novel, but couldn't come to agreement with TSR...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:21:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

My vote would be for Janny Wurtz

I've not read anything she did by herself... My only familiarity with her stuff is the Empire trilogy she co-wrote with Feist.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  02:02:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To The Sage: interesting. Michael Stackpole wrote a novel that he showed to Ed at a GenCon (in published form, from another publisher, as a stand-alone fantasy) and said he'd wanted it to be a Realms novel, but couldn't come to agreement with TSR...
love,
THO

Well, that is interesting. Thank you for sharing Lady Hooded One. Could you possibly tell us perhaps where the novel may have been based if it went ahead?

Edited by - The Sage on 23 May 2005 02:03:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  02:43:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

Well, that is interesting. Thank you for sharing Lady Hooded One. Could you possibly tell us perhaps where the novel may have been based if it went ahead?

Since it's published, could you share the name? Stackpole is one of my fave authors.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  03:09:28  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR huh? I wonder if it was Once A Hero. Has to be one of Mike's best novels. I'd love to see Mike write some Realms material, his Star Wars work was great IMHO.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  09:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
John Varley could do a good one. I loved the Gaea trilogy. Maybe Gregory Maguire.

I'd also like to have seen Stephen King do a Ravenloft novel.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  18:40:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

I'd also like to have seen Stephen King do a Ravenloft novel.

You think if we drafted a letter to Stephen King PLEADING with him to write a Ravenloft novel, succeeded, then sent it back to WotC they might bring back Ravenloft? Just a thought.

I agree about Stackpole -- I think his style's quite appopriate for the world, though he'd have to do more with less (meaning that his novels tend to cover about the same amount of time, but on a larger scale, and with double the page count of a standard WotC book). Not that his current scale / length is a bad thing, not at all.

You know who'd write a killer FR novel? David Gemmell.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 23 May 2005 18:41:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  22:36:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I can't echo the calls for Stephen King. The man is imaginative and tells a good story, but once you get past his early stuff, I can't stand his writing style.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  22:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I can't echo the calls for Stephen King. The man is imaginative and tells a good story, but once you get past his early stuff, I can't stand his writing style.

Well i've never got around to reading any of King's novels as the novels based on his movies often go really bad about 3/4 the way through! Prior to that point, it's all very good.

I exclude Misery in that statement however - fantastic throughout.

I'll go with Erik on his call for Gemmell though

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  23:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote for Elizabeth Moon since I love everything she writes, but I hope it never happens as I'm waiting for her next book and I wouldn't want her bogged down with FR stuff.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  00:10:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

Well i've never got around to reading any of King's novels as the novels based on his movies often go really bad about 3/4 the way through! Prior to that point, it's all very good.

I exclude Misery in that statement however - fantastic throughout.

I'll go with Erik on his call for Gemmell though

From what I've seen, you can't base King's work on the movies. Most of the Stephen King movies I've seen were horribly, horribly mangled versions of something resembling the book.

I can't comment on Misery, though. I hated the book, so I didn't bother with the movie.

And before Big Al comes in, I know someone else I'd like to see write a Realms novel: J. Michael Straczynski. I've not read his novels (I think he has one or two), but I've read some of his comics and watched his show, Babylon 5. That's enough to convince me he could knock out an excellent Realms novel.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  02:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see George R R Martin and Robert Jordan try their hand at writing FR novels. However, I also think they'd have trouble squeezing 3 or more volumes into a slim novel since they like lots of details and working up plots and characters.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  02:37:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And before Big Al comes in, I know someone else I'd like to see write a Realms novel: J. Michael Straczynski. I've not read his novels (I think he has one or two), but I've read some of his comics and watched his show, Babylon 5. That's enough to convince me he could knock out an excellent Realms novel.
I'll definitely second that . J. Michael Straczynski has shown a great ability to adapt to many different types of genres... not least of which is his most recent work in the Spider-Man comic.

In fact, not that we like them all that much, but if there is to be another RSE coming on the horizon, I believe that Straczynski could handle the task of writing it most admirably.

Now, where's Big Al ...

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  03:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that if he used the same types of ideas that went into Eyes of the Dragon, King would be great.

I've never actually read any of Geroge R. R. Martin's novels, but I am a BIG fan of the Wild Card books.

If WotC could scrape together the cash, it would be interesting to see an anthology book of short stories done by big name authors.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  08:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Now, where's Big Al ...

Right here, Sage

Worry not, for this is a very worthy topic and an interesting discussion indeed. I agree with a number of authors listed herein, George R R Martin, David Gemmell. I have yet to read any of Timothy Zahn's material and know not of what he has written other than SW, but hear he is a very good author. It would be interesting to see how a sci-fi author deals with fantasy. I quite agree on the points about Stephen King however. Again, Misery being the exception

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  10:07:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I'd like to see George R R Martin and Robert Jordan try their hand at writing FR novels. However, I also think they'd have trouble squeezing 3 or more volumes into a slim novel since they like lots of details and working up plots and characters.

I second this! As I already said once before: Robert Jordan+his attention to detail+very much realmslore+800 or more pages=a real winner!!!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  11:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that if he used the same types of ideas that went into Eyes of the Dragon, King would be great.

I've never actually read any of Geroge R. R. Martin's novels, but I am a BIG fan of the Wild Card books.

If WotC could scrape together the cash, it would be interesting to see an anthology book of short stories done by big name authors.

Melfius, here's what you need to do. Call out of work today, turn your computer and television off, put down any book you are currently reading and pick up Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. You will not regret it.

It will blow your mind!
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  13:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Actually, both Martin and Jordan have written short stories in the Legends 1 anthology, and both were good, Martin's especially. (However, Jordan recently went back to his short story to lengthen it). So I think both are capable of writing full FR novels, even if Jordan's is likely to consist 80% of descriptions of clothes and women haughtily sniffing at everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  13:23:08  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

Melfius, here's what you need to do. Call out of work today, turn your computer and television off, put down any book you are currently reading and pick up Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. You will not regret it.

It will blow your mind!

You know, my assistant at work says much the same thing!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000