Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel Formats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
quajack Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 03:36:17
Once Around the Realms, The Glass Prison, The Shadow Stone...

What do these novels have in common, you may ask? None of them are part of a trilogy, series, quintet, or any other type of grouping. Does WotC think that if they publish any more books w/o including them in some type of assemblege that readers will think that said books are unimportant and therefore, won't purchase them? Every FR stand alone novel published within the last 6 years has been included in some "series" or another. Wassup wit dat, yo?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 16:41:24
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I think trilogies/series in general sell better than stand-alones.

And all the observable sales statistics would seem to agree with you.

Readers, it would seem, like having a theme they can follow. Even if the stand-alone series novels cover different characters, they may read similarly, so readers know what they're getting.

quote:
So presumably that means that none of the characters in any of the "class" series will ever be used again.

One never knows. As Ignorance holds, it all depends on who becomes popular.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 01:48:41
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:
Originally posted by quajack

What do these novels have in common, you may ask?

Being obscure, out of print, and not particularly popular?

Seconded.
GothicDan Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 01:17:06
When I first read the Shadow Stone, I really was confused. I thought I had accidentally picked up a non-FR book that somehow got an FR label slapped onto it.

Turns out, I pretty much did.
Archwizard Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 20:02:43
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

That got a laugh out of me.

Sometimes being part of a series also provides a bit more description with which to present the book to potential readers. The Harpers series is about Harpers, the Wizards series is about wizards, etc. It breaks down otherwise disparate standalone books into easy to grasp categories. Somewhat like character classes, Halaster is a wizard, Durnan is a fighter, Mirt is a ... moneylender.
wwwwwww Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 19:46:43
Both The Shadow Stone and The Glass Prison are two of my favorite FR novels. Evermeet is another stand-alone that's well written.
Winterfox Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 19:27:32
quote:

Faraer Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 18:41:18
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

The rogue, wizard, fighter, etc. series remind me of the Harper series... and I was under the impression that the reason the Harper series wasn't continued by Wizards was because Wizards felt that the jumbling of stories and characters together confused readers.
It had gone on too long. When series get too long, readers get disoriented and new ones intimidated by thinking they have to start at the beginning.
Ignorance Personified Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 16:17:53
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

So presumably that means that none of the characters in any of the "class" series will ever be used again.

Unless some of the characters become popular with readers. For example, some of the characters in the Sembia series have returned outside of it (i.e. Cale and Tazi). As with any corporation, if WoTC sees an opportunity to turn a profit then they will exploit it.
SirUrza Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 12:46:23
The rogue, wizard, fighter, etc. series remind me of the Harper series... and I was under the impression that the reason the Harper series wasn't continued by Wizards was because Wizards felt that the jumbling of stories and characters together confused readers.

Lameth Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 10:51:51
quote:

Ahhh The Shadow Stone.....great book!
Alaundo Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 10:06:49
Well met

Indeed, as Paec_djinn stated, stand-alone novels tend to be grouped into an unrelated series.

I believe that The Shadow Stone was once listed as being a novel in the "Adventures" series, although it was never printed on the novel and likely the unofficial title was dropped soon after.
Paec_djinn Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 04:45:04
I would guess that the "class" series, Cities series and the upcoming Dungeon and Citadel series would be the new replacement for standalones. I wouldn't mind if WotC start printing novels for standalone series like you mentioned, but for the moment, if you're looking for standalones, those serieses I've mentioned are the nearest I guess.
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 03:58:31
I think trilogies/series in general sell better than stand-alones.

Personally, as a massive novel reader, I've been getting a bit tired of series/trilogies BECAUSE of this fact: if I buy one, read it, I HAVE to buy another one.

Lately, I've been focusing on buying stand-alone novels specifically to avoid doing this, but I guess a lot of consumers don't have this kind of willpower (if they have the money, I mean). :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000