Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel Formats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  03:36:17  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Once Around the Realms, The Glass Prison, The Shadow Stone...

What do these novels have in common, you may ask? None of them are part of a trilogy, series, quintet, or any other type of grouping. Does WotC think that if they publish any more books w/o including them in some type of assemblege that readers will think that said books are unimportant and therefore, won't purchase them? Every FR stand alone novel published within the last 6 years has been included in some "series" or another. Wassup wit dat, yo?

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  03:58:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think trilogies/series in general sell better than stand-alones.

Personally, as a massive novel reader, I've been getting a bit tired of series/trilogies BECAUSE of this fact: if I buy one, read it, I HAVE to buy another one.

Lately, I've been focusing on buying stand-alone novels specifically to avoid doing this, but I guess a lot of consumers don't have this kind of willpower (if they have the money, I mean). :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess that the "class" series, Cities series and the upcoming Dungeon and Citadel series would be the new replacement for standalones. I wouldn't mind if WotC start printing novels for standalone series like you mentioned, but for the moment, if you're looking for standalones, those serieses I've mentioned are the nearest I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, as Paec_djinn stated, stand-alone novels tend to be grouped into an unrelated series.

I believe that The Shadow Stone was once listed as being a novel in the "Adventures" series, although it was never printed on the novel and likely the unofficial title was dropped soon after.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

Ahhh The Shadow Stone.....great book!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  12:46:23  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rogue, wizard, fighter, etc. series remind me of the Harper series... and I was under the impression that the reason the Harper series wasn't continued by Wizards was because Wizards felt that the jumbling of stories and characters together confused readers.

So presumably that means that none of the characters in any of the "class" series will ever be used again.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  16:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

So presumably that means that none of the characters in any of the "class" series will ever be used again.

Unless some of the characters become popular with readers. For example, some of the characters in the Sembia series have returned outside of it (i.e. Cale and Tazi). As with any corporation, if WoTC sees an opportunity to turn a profit then they will exploit it.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

The rogue, wizard, fighter, etc. series remind me of the Harper series... and I was under the impression that the reason the Harper series wasn't continued by Wizards was because Wizards felt that the jumbling of stories and characters together confused readers.
It had gone on too long. When series get too long, readers get disoriented and new ones intimidated by thinking they have to start at the beginning.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  19:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What do these novels have in common, you may ask?

Being obscure, out of print, and not particularly popular?
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  19:46:43  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both The Shadow Stone and The Glass Prison are two of my favorite FR novels. Evermeet is another stand-alone that's well written.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  20:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

That got a laugh out of me.

Sometimes being part of a series also provides a bit more description with which to present the book to potential readers. The Harpers series is about Harpers, the Wizards series is about wizards, etc. It breaks down otherwise disparate standalone books into easy to grasp categories. Somewhat like character classes, Halaster is a wizard, Durnan is a fighter, Mirt is a ... moneylender.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:17:06  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first read the Shadow Stone, I really was confused. I thought I had accidentally picked up a non-FR book that somehow got an FR label slapped onto it.

Turns out, I pretty much did.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

Seconded.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  16:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I think trilogies/series in general sell better than stand-alones.

And all the observable sales statistics would seem to agree with you.

Readers, it would seem, like having a theme they can follow. Even if the stand-alone series novels cover different characters, they may read similarly, so readers know what they're getting.

quote:

One never knows. As Ignorance holds, it all depends on who becomes popular.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000