Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 An Epic FR Adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  00:02:25  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
While trying to play "catch-up" I was reading through the Campaign Settings and I came across a reference to the Desertsmouth Mountains of the Dalelands and Tethyamar. It said that King Ghellin, the last king of Tethyamar, "died of old age in 1369DR in Cormyr, still dreaming of retaking his lost realm."

It seems to fit the time frame most people said that they wanted to look at and includes the dwarves. Could we do something with that? Maybe a death-bed promise by a friend or heir to reclaim Tethyamar from the fiends that still lurk in the area.

(Sorry if this has been done, I've been out of FR for a while)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  07:01:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
WOW , the fireforge of creation has definitely be struck alight today.

I have decided to keep the contributions to the adventure open, mainly because like Brynweir and Bookwyrm said, an idea could pop up at any moment.

And AraznBlair, as for what type of help we're looking for, well anything really, about adventure building, dwarves, Faerun etc.

Anyway keep the ideas coming. I don't know about everybody else here, but I am beginning to the see the start of an adventure already with all the suggestions we have had so far.

And Edain, when I was first tinkering with the idea of this adventure, I had thought about using the Great Rift for the area of the adventure, but the problem remains that it is an area that has had little 'fleshing-out', although this could work to our advantage in that there is a lot more room to work everything we want in the adventure without contradicting canon FR material.

Actually that brings up the next point, do we want this adventure to conform with canon material, or be purely fan-created.

What do you all think?

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  07:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Since George Krasnos is not adverse to a little "insider-gaming" perhaps he could tell us if there are any sources on the horizon dealing with that area?

I still want some water stuff. I want to mix in creative ways to use water-spells. I'm sure we can put in an underground lake, a dwarven mine/city that's been floated . . . I like the idea of a dwarf having to be in the water. I like puting in situations that make characters uncomfortable, and I can think of few places that a dwarf would be more uncomfortable with than one where he's out of contact with the nice, solid, sturdy ground.

I can just imagine a dwarf leaning over the side of the ship, trying to keep his stomach contents out of his beard, while muttering "If dwarves were meant to be on the water, Dumathoin would've given us gills!"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  07:44:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
If we go with the 'Great Rift' that could help solve your needs Bookwyrm, as the Riftlake is located at the bottom of the fracture itself.

Thus we could utilise this rarely explored region of Faerun, and still have a large body of water to use in the environment to handle some of the things you just mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  15:14:18  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Thanks Sage, I'll gladly lend a hand to this epic.

I am wondering though about what Bookwyrm had said concerning dwarves and water. I think that maybe the Dwarves should have contact with water but not really be raised around water. To me I think that it would be to much like the Hylar Dwarves from Thorbarbin (From DL) who live in a huge stalactit that sits over a lake.

Maybe the Dwarves set out to reclaim a lost outpost whose mines have been flooded and sorcerers and priest have to devise a way to drain them. That way Bookwyrm could use those waterspells he refered to.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  18:44:28  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
The Great Rift sounds good to me. I like the idea of adding in our own details to "flesh it out," and I too would like to see dwarves on a ship. Just having the dwarves be that uncomfortable would add to the RP reuired by the group.

Also, as Sage of Perth said, in the Great Rift we could make it fit our adventure without contradicting canon FR material. And as far as keeping it canon, I would prefer if the adventure were not strictly canon material. I think it allows for a lot more creativity, especially from anyone new or who has been out of FR for a while (but I could be biased).

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  21:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Personally, I'd say it'd be easier and quite possibly more rewarding to create it not strictly to canon. However, in my experience and time spent on various FR boards I'd have to say that being as close to canon as possible is something people want out of FR material.

For the sake of the epic being useful to the angry mob of canon-mongers that be the masses, I'd say we should stick to canon material.

Edited by - Herr Doktor on 03 Jun 2003 21:31:40
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  22:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
Well, it is nearly impossible to conform completely conform to canon (particularly when you consider that material not canon now, will be when we finish and we may not be able to conform to that canon. It gets even weirded when you get to the canon material that will be published after we finish, it gets weird if you think about it), so no I think some deviation from canon would be warrented, however at least some level of conformity with the canon material would be necessary (or we wouldn't be in the Realms, would we?). On the subject of reclaiming lost kingdoms, as far as Dwarves go, the idea is a little played. I mean many major Dwarven stories (D&D and otherwise) revolve in some way around lost Dwarven realms. While not a bad idea, it seems a little overdone to me. Unfortunately, then the question f what else comes along, which is a tough one. One idea I have been tinkering with was a subterfuge leading to civil war idea, but it is also kinda played, though not so much for Dwarves. In the end a good idea is a good idea.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  13:14:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Again, there are some really great suggestions here.

It seems everybody is really eager to get this project off the ground. As for conforming to canon material, I think everybody's opinions here are pretty accurate, and I agree with them completely.

I guess the only real thing to decide now is, what type of adventure do we create. With all the potential Dwarvem stories expressed here, it is hard to make a decision.

So which does everybody like the most?. Also can we combine some of them to create something unique?. Let me know what you think, so we can finally get something started.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  15:22:09  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

One idea I have been tinkering with was a subterfuge leading to civil war idea, but it is also kinda played, though not so much for Dwarves. In the end a good idea is a good idea.

Now that you mentioned it Edain, a civil war would be a good idea. A large Dwarven Stronghold breaks out into separate factions over various reasons and after a major battle leave the stronghold in search of their own. Their search could inadvertantly lead them to an anchient stonghold so old that history may not even remember them.

As for what is cannon and what is not I think that beyond what we do know about Dwarves and the Realms should pretty much stay as is. Things could be tweaked and created in areas that is mostly considered an unknown to all. It it seems to far fetched then you could say that we went to far from cannon but if you could sit back and say "Hey it's possible, why not", then it would be considered ok.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  18:49:57  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AraznBlair

quote:

One idea I have been tinkering with was a subterfuge leading to civil war idea, but it is also kinda played, though not so much for Dwarves. In the end a good idea is a good idea.

Now that you mentioned it Edain, a civil war would be a good idea. A large Dwarven Stronghold breaks out into separate factions over various reasons and after a major battle leave the stronghold in search of their own. Their search could inadvertantly lead them to an anchient stonghold so old that history may not even remember them.

As for what is cannon and what is not I think that beyond what we do know about Dwarves and the Realms should pretty much stay as is. Things could be tweaked and created in areas that is mostly considered an unknown to all. It it seems to far fetched then you could say that we went to far from cannon but if you could sit back and say "Hey it's possible, why not", then it would be considered ok.

I have to agree with AraznBlair.

You could incorporate the idea of civil war with the Gold Dwarves, like Edain Shadowstar said, and have the setting be the Great Rift. That way we wouldn't have to worry about contradicting canon material (since there is so little) as long as we held to what is already known about the dwarves and the area, and you could get the dwarves in the water (if you want).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  08:22:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
This is a great suggestion Brynweir and it covers everything we are trying to do. What do the rest of you potential contributors think of Brynweir's idea?. I think it is the best option so far. It is also the easiest to build upon should we wish to add different things to the campaign.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  15:22:59  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Brynweir has my vote.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  22:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
On the civil war track, my originaly idea was to have the civil caused by some duerger who inflamed some minor social displeasure amongst the Dwarves, creating various factions...however I hesitant to run with it, since it seems very Drow-like, you know to cause internal conflict for their own benefit. Of course we could always have the Dwarf-King of the kingdom going insane...that'd start a civil war...

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  23:36:30  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
quote:

On the civil war track, my originaly idea was to have the civil caused by some duerger who inflamed some minor social displeasure amongst the Dwarves, creating various factions...however I hesitant to run with it, since it seems very Drow-like, you know to cause internal conflict for their own benefit. Of course we could always have the Dwarf-King of the kingdom going insane...that'd start a civil war...

I know personally that family struggles can often be more bitter than any other type of rivalry. What if a dwarven king had twin sons, and he died without actually designating either as the heir? Then different factions could come out in support of each of the brothers. One wins, but he can't kill his brother, so he exiles him instead.

(This was my husband's idea. I like it, but it sounds familiar. Have I read this somewhere?)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  07:41:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's an interesting idea Edain, and seems to carry a lot of potential in terms of a great adventure story.

Brynweir your suggestion also carries much worth.

The problem I am seeing at this point is really nailing down a firm direction in which to go. The Dwarven civil war idea seems great like I said, but how could we create a basis for it in the Realms?, and mostly importantly of all, where does it occur?.

Any thoughts?,

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  11:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
The only place I can really think of, Brynweir, is in Harry Turtledove's The World at War series (basically a World War II as done with magic), where one country had been recently torn apart by the "Twinkings War" -- basically just what you said.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  08:36:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I am still hunting for suggestions from my last post .

Please don't tell me everybody has lost interest in this project all ready. I may just have to start working on it on my own, and submit it here for suggestions and improvements as I go.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  15:27:31  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Wasn't there a Civil War in Miramar(sp) in the last Salvatore book. Some Dwarves walked out of the city to join Bruener at Mythral Hall? Well not really a civil war but it could have lead to one.

So we create something similar but not exact. There are always tensions between clans and such. Mineral rights, trading rights and other day to day activity. One faction fears that the ore they have been mining for centuries is slowly depleting and that a new mine needs to be open. Others disagree and say that the mines are as full as the day they opened them and that they should increase production to make weapons to wage war with their neighbors. There are many different routes to go with. Just mere ideas have sparked wars in our past history so imagine what they could do to a race that is natoriously stubborn.

As for where it occurs I still say in an area that has had very little writting done on it so that we do not contradict what others have done.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  15:32:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's an interesting idea AraznBlair. I read the book in question a while back, but can't remember a whole lot. I may just have to re-read the important parts to refresh the idea, and see whether we can go with it.

Thanks,

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  13:57:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I noticed that there hasn't been many updates to this scroll in a few days. Am I to assume then, by the lack of recent posts that I will have to carry this project forward by myself...?. I am okay with that, just as long as everybody is willing to assist me with some extra issues that may need addressing along the way.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  15:28:29  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Sorry about that. Busy weekend. I have a question concerning this epic. It seems that we have narrowed it down to a Dwarven Epic during present time with out any intervention by the Gods. How are we to go about this? Is everyone going to take a section and work one it? Submitting their work for review?

I think that those who wish to participate should each take a section of the Epic. An example would be: Region, History, Clans/Factions, Day to Day lives.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  15:37:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Agreed. I think that this is a very good idea AraznBlair. Of course to allocate who wants to work on what section should really wait until everbody has caught up with the recent updates.

But once that has been organised, the next question is - the adding of stats, and rules to be included in the adventure. Are the people who are responsible for their own sections also responsible for the stats as well?. What if some of the authors working on their tasks don't know what to do with regards to stats and rules. Perhaps we should separate the tasks into fluff sections and crunch sections, so that those who are better at other aspects of adventure design can utilise their fullest abilities on the creation.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  00:55:05  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
I agree that the workload should be divided up, but as someone who has trouble with the stats and rules, I would have to go more with the Sage of Perth's suggestion. Some of us would do better to work on ideas while others could "crunch the numbers" so to speak. I would be willing to work on any section that did not require extensive knowledge of the realms. I'm okay with character backgrounds, so if we split like AzranBlair suggested I could deal with clans/factions or day to day lives.

I'm also willing to let other people run with it and then comment on thier ideas.

(Just to let you know things are really getting CRAZY for me right now and I don't have a lot of time to devote to this. Not to mention I just experienced hard drive crash and my back-up files were corrupted. Much of my FR info is gone. )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  13:15:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Thanks for the update Brynweir. Before I start assigning specific tasks for everyone, I will just give it a little more time for some others to respond.

Oh, and Brynweir, sorry to hear about your 'little' incident. May Tymora be with you.

Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  23:04:16  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message
first of all, a little hello from a new user on the forums. I`ve enjoyed jumping around here for a bit looking for useful/less information

this topic though, really had me fascinated, trying to work up a new epic adventure for the realms is something i would really like to be a part of. i`ve noticed that there hasn`t been anything happening on this thread in the last week or so, so if it`s not too late i would really like to join in on the work that is being done (if it`s possible of course). so if somebody could update me it would`ve been most appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  04:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
My sincere sympathies go with you, Bryn. I once had to send in my computer to the manufacturer because it wouldn't turn on. (Some sort of burnout in the power converter or something -- I just work 'em, I don't know how they work.) Anyway, it was only after I couldn't access the computer that I realized I hadn't backed up my files in ages. So I told them that, whatever they did, do not wipe the harddrive. They do that a lot; this was the first time I'd sent in one where I couldn't get info saved, and I wanted to make sure I didn't lose it.

So, of course, it comes back with the harddrive reformated. I was [censored]. I was in a foul mood for weeks -- I'd lost more than I ever had before, and the only possessions I really, truly value. My stories, writen by myself. Three months' work, gone due to stupidity on the parts of all concerned. And the thing is, with me, I can't rewrite something from memory. My ability to retain data is not good enough for that. It took me months to get back to working on the story I'd put the most effort into, and lost the most of. I still haven't gotten it up to the amount I'd had before. Like I said, I value my stories over all else I own. I suppose only another writer could really understand.

I certainly hope that it was only canon information you lost, and not something irreplaceable. Either way, I know what it's like.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  09:13:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Certainly stoltzVI.

We are all still basically determining the basis of the story for the adventure. As you can see from the previous amount of discussion we have narrowed that basis down to several points.

As I said in my previous post, I am still waiting for others to reply to this thread before actual tasks are assigned, still if you have any ideas that you may wish to see implemented into the adventure we would like to hear them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  09:16:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh and I would also like to know what your strengths are when it comes to D&D and FR. Are you more comfortable with stats and game mechanics, or is fluff and content more your style. I ask, simply because it will make it easier to assign tasks when I know what particular area you are efficient with.

Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  17:53:11  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message
i guess i would be most comfortable in devising some nice fluff. nothing quite like it!

though i dont think my level of expertise in these matters are anywhere near the rest of you people here. But ive enjoyed making some pretty decent adventures for my friends. (approx 2yrs of playing).

Besides, i lack certain essential sourcebooks and i wont buy them, again(long story) `till 3.5, so number crunching would be rather difficult.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000