Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Non-Candlekeep: Movie Promotion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  16:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alaundo didn't technically say I could post this here, but he did mention that he couldn't possibly police every scroll on the shelves. Before he casts a clone spell, I figured I might as well get this out.

So. Anyone seen the new Star Wars movie out this month?

No, I’m serious. New Star Wars movie. Star Wars 2^-2: The Great Disturbance. (That's be "Square Root of Two" -- this forum doesn't support special symbols, so I have to write it that way. )

Lemme back up a moment. This film started sixteen months ago, by a filming group known as Leftfield Studios (which I'm a part of). It is a 100% stop-motion production. Which means that the acting is on par with the last two Star Wars films by that other group, Lucasfilms.

The primary medium is plastic, not clay. Specifically, LEGOs. There are some non-LEGO pieces, and some clay. However, don’t start dismissing it just for that. This is a very funny film. It should be -- it’s a parody.

However, it’s also long. It clocks in at about 75 minutes, which makes it the largest LEGO-based film ever made (the technical name is a “brickfilm”). It’s also large. It’s in two parts, which are 81 and 111 megabytes each. The good news is it’s free. (It has to be. Pesky copyright laws. )

For those who don’t know if they should bother with such a sizable download (assuming they don’t have those super-fast Internet connections), you can take a look at the theatrical trailer first.

This is obviously best appreciated by Star Wars fans, but moments from many other movies and books are in it -- including The Princess Bride, Abbot and Costello, and the Narnia series.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  09:50:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last...

Now, all I have to do, is wait until I get home so I can use my 300Kbps ethereal net connection to download these monsters

One question though - I'm assuming that any reviews or comments one may have on the movie should be directed to those forums that you'd linked to previously in your earlier signature (it may be a good idea to repost those URLs here )?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  09:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's about time someone said something.

Though, Sage, I sent a link to both you and Lady K. some time ago. Don't tell me neither of you saw it!?

As for comments, it seems we can post here. It's what I wanted before, anyway -- which is why I wanted to do it in the no-credit section of the Keep.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  10:06:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, the Lady K was well aware of your message . And, she told me about it, but I was merely waiting until you'd made some kind of "online" proclamation before responding.

She'll likely have her on thoughts on the project, so I'll let her know that she can post any comments here as well.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  12:42:17  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be downloading it tonight. Looking forward to it

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:16:09  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've downloaded the trailer and it looks great! Bookwyrm, you guys did a great job. I was very impressed with the animation as well as the voices. I'll download the movie tonight and watch the rest later.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm listed in the credits, but as Matthew, not Bookwyrm. Also, notice that there are two Ts in that -- there's a single credit for a Mathew as well.

My main credits are for three voices, but I'm thinking I might let naming those slide -- that way you won't be thinking "Oh, that's Bookwyrm" and miss all the clever dialogue.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:45:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is almost what I did when you had originally told me which characters you'd provided the voices for...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded both parts straight away but need to get a fair amount of spare time in order to watch it all I saw about 10 minutes of the first part which I was VERY impressed with! Well done Bookwyrm, congrats to all involved. Ill let you know my opinions when ive had chance to view the whole shebang.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  04:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have/Could you get it in anything other than Real Player?

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  08:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or, if another format is not feasible, then perhaps a non-costly method of viewing it...?
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  11:17:17  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD***

Their site which is advertised at the end of the clip says that Real and WMP formats are available although I was unable to find it. I'm in the process of downloading the others so I can watch them as well.

Let me tell you, its a pain in the rear watching with Real, but there is a good reason for it, and let me assure you that it will be well worth the time! Well worth it indeed.

I'm glad I will be the first to post a review of sorts since it means that I'm not just bandwagonning, I can actually post some commentary. At first, I didn't know what to expect, but now that I've watched them, I'm supremely happy I did.

First the gripes:

There were a few times where the sound seemed to distort and I couldn't hear character's names and I only ended up finding out who they were until the end. Although, if I may pin an accolade on myself Matthew, I did get you as the 'character' before I saw the credits. I've read too many of your discussions on the topic to have thought it to be anyone else. That's basically the only gripe I had.

Some of the brilliant work. I want to take my hat off to your guys for the work on 'Ohwhyomea' or however the planet is spelt. The water your guys did was breataking and surpassed only by the surfboard battle. I have no idea how you guys did it, but it was spectacular. Another personal point of emphasis, the voice acting, was superb and in most cases so good as to be nearly the real thing. Whomever did Jar Jar needs a medal, likewise for Darth and Palpatine.

The Jedi council was superb, as were the myriad oneliners strewn about the script, and yet, despite the almost tangled and often confusing storyline, a cohesive end is built and it honestly flows. The driod battle was a particular favourite, as was Atilla the Hutt. Commendations to the team for spectacular senses of humour. I wish I could list all the one liners and see if I got them all, or in some way express how great this work is, but you guys wont believe it til you see it. I've never seen something like this done to this scale and with this level of proffessionalism. I woiuld expound upon it more, but I'll give everyone else a chance to see its genius themselves.

Bookwyrm, I'm sending you a personal mail with something I'd like to discuss.

Great work and please convey my congratulations and overwhelming awe to the rest of your team. This is one of the best semi-professional productions I've ever seen. Superb!

And in closing, Jar Jar! Use the Forks!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  12:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They (I had little to do with the final parts of the film) had some trouble with sound work. As well, they were slightly rushed, and didn't exactly have expensive equipment to do it with. So the voices are sometimes out of sync; Darth Digitalgeekus is a bit too distorted; the waves at first drown out Obi-wan . . . there are several problems that could have been cleaned out, but this was a completely out of pocket movie done by a bunch of students (only four of whom are in college).

I'll tell Daniel about your comment on his voice acting, but he's not exactly proud of being able to do Jar-Jar so well.

The water was made on the fly by Jon, our "Director of Photography" (98% of the filming was his). We weren't so sure that he could do water effects with bricks like that. He'd done it once, with the first movie (Return of the King), but this was on a much larger scale. Needless to say, we were proven wrong -- myself most of all. Just goes to show that every time I disagree with him, he's right.

The planet, by the way, is Wiamea. Which has no relation to Wiamea Bay, Hawaii, mentioned in the Beach Boys' Surfin' USA, which also isn't in the film. No sir.

I'm sorry that Real format is so bad for you guys -- it wasn't for me. I don't think there's another version available, either.

Icewolf, I don't know what you're refering to by "non-costly" -- but if you mean shipping it, no way. We can't do that. We can absorb the cost for burning DVDs for family, but we can't do it for anyone who asks. And it's such a gray area for copyright issues that we can't risk even a charge to cover expenses and nothing else. To do so, we'd need permission from those who own the rights to the music as well as George Lucas himself. Parody rights only go so far, and while they cover things like the duel between Obi-wan and the unnamed dark apprentice, it doesn't cover the fact that we've taken Obi-wan himself, as well as Artoo, Threepio, Yoda, and several other characters. We're only safe as long as we don't charge.

More's the pity.

Go to Top of Page

Sanavin
Acolyte

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  21:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Sanavin's Homepage Send Sanavin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Superb work. That's all I will say.

By the way, before watching that, I downloaded a player called Real Alternative. Looks pretty much like Windows Media Player (older versions) but plays fine those .RMVB files. At least I think that player was better than RealMedia's own.

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."
Go to Top of Page

Shayan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  07:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Shayan's Homepage Send Shayan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

New Star Wars movie. Star Wars 2^-2: The Great Disturbance.

Square root of two is: 2^1/2

Sorry I'm being a real jerky nitpicker atm.

That movie seems funny, if the trailer is anything to go by.

Someone please tell me where to buy FR books in Australia!! Pretty Please...
Shayan's Subrace Engine - for NWNhttp://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2603

Edited by - Shayan on 01 Nov 2004 07:33:43
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  07:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no, go right ahead. Someone else mentioned it when I was writing it out elsewhere. I'd forgotten to check this scroll and change it here. But now that we have your correction, I'll just be lazy.

Glad you like the trailer. Now, about the full download . . . ?

Go to Top of Page

Shayan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  08:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Shayan's Homepage Send Shayan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 1 downloaded...just about to watch it, whilst part 2 is downloading.

Someone please tell me where to buy FR books in Australia!! Pretty Please...
Shayan's Subrace Engine - for NWNhttp://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2603
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000