Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 DM Changes to Standard FR Campaigns
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:04:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am starting this thread after an idea Bookwyrm gave me about the changes a DM makes to his own standard and home-run FR campaigns.

I know that many of you run things a little different in your campaigns than canon FR material, so here is your chance to tell us all about these changes. For myself, large portions of my FR campaign have been changed to suit my own personal tastes.

So let's here about these changes no matter how small or large they may be...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:16:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get things started, here is a post I made recently in another thread -
quote:
I don't think that I could provide much help on this topic, since in my FR campaign, the City of Sails (and the immediate surrounding area) is presently occupied and run by a renegade Tanar'ri Lord and his retinue who escaped the Blood War to Faerun in my Planescape campaign from last year.

Well, when you take into consideration, the Tanar'ri's racial tendancies for chaos, and the fact that the City of Sails has never been known as an orderly place, open rule would seem to be the norm. However the Lord and his forces have been very subtle in manipulating the ruling authorities of Luskan, and the general populace of the city aren't even aware of the demon in their midst. The Tanar'ri Lord grants benefits and favors to the ruling elite, but only because it keeps them subservient to the demon's powers. Eventually, I plan to have the Tanar'ri Lord start to make open movements, gathering his forces in order to eventually increase his power here on Faerun.

As for the the good folk, well, the Harpers have been aware for some time of the situation in Luskan. But the environment is tense at this point. The Harpers are busy gathering intelligence on exactly how far the demon's rule infects the city. They are also building alliances and making inways for the eventual liberation of the city, but the question remains of what to do after the Tanarr'ri has been banished. Luskan is a harsh place afterall, and the Harpers will find establishing true orderly government very difficult. Hence the reason they are taking it slow.

And to make matters worse, the Blackstaff has not displayed any concerns about the situation in Luskan, even considering the proxmity to Waterdeep. Infact he left for an interdimensional tour several weeks ago.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You make it sound as if I merely inspired you. As I recall, I suggested the whole thing.

To further clarify things, this is for setting changes. There're already places for new magic items and spells, non-magical literture, house rules, and new feats and skills.

See, Alaundo? I'm being a good Senior Scribe and indexing the scrolls . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 05 Jul 2003 10:17:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:17:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want to clean that url link up a little Bookwyrm .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was changing it as you spoke. Not sure what went wrong, but it worked the second time through. It had gotten chopped off in the middle . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 05 Jul 2003 10:19:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:20:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have some other minor changes I have made, but I will let others respond to this thread before I begin.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Mournblade will show up. I've been dying to get a look at his stuff . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:26:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what I was hoping for...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:18:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing that I have altered in my campaigns is the length, period and results of the Time of Troubles.

* The ToT lasted for 2 years in my campaigns, from 1358 to 1360 DR.

* Myrkul was never totally destroyed, but instead demoted to a lesser-god status governing the portfolio of evil undead.

* There were a larger number of dead-magic zones created by the godswar, which lead to some significant realm and city size changes as some of the once magically fortified cities of the Realms were besieged by armies of Orcs and Hobgoblins, and the ocassional Giant clan.

* Tantras was completely destroyed by the battle between Bane and Torm.

* Shadowdale briefly fell under the sway of the Zhentarim, when they lost the battle against the Zhentil Keep invasion force.

* The realm of Thay closed its borders to the outside Realms, for a total of three years. No one ever returned from those who tried to enter the realm. (The reason for this still has to be addressed in my campaigns, but the 'death' of Szass Tam is a direct result of this closure).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:19:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, since I still use the Planescape cosmology for my FR campaigns, Elminster's time in Hell was a lot more interesting (and longer).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:25:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The absence of Khelben at the present time, has many of my PC's worried as the encroaching Shade forces seem to be inching ever closer to the Sword Coast. The Silver Marches is fighting desperately for it's very existence as the alliance between the Zhentarim and the Shades threatens the political stability of the North.

To make matters far more chaotic for Faerun, this is the time, when I allowed the split in the Harpers to occur, throwing the once proud organisation into total disarray. Khelben fled to the planes, and leaves Waterdeep to organise the defense of the North now that the Harpers are in chaos.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo. You don't do things in halves, do you.

For the city-changes, any places we know?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:41:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few cities of my own creation fell to this problem, however Tilverton experienced a short take over by Shadowmaster organised goblin forces, but was eventually liberated by the Purple Dragons.

The city of Yhep, in the southern Realms also fell to the same forces, although none of the Border Kingdoms seems interested in helping to restore law and order.

Most of the hamlets, towns and cities around Thar are now part of the reborn Ogre Kingdom that once ruled the Thar, lead again by the now-dead Tharkul Maulog (he was resurrected...sort of).

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  17:05:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my campaign the City of Yhaunn in Sembia was nearly decimated by the Grandfather of Assasins singlehandedly. I introduced Elric to the realms, during another difficult time for Talos when Arioch was trying to attain the portfolio of Chaos.

Well Elric of Melnibone appeared as Arioch's champion, and Quietus beat him up and took STORMBRINGER. STORMBRINGER is a soul sucking sword that grants its wielder the strength of all those slain with it for a time. Well Quietus, is a rather CHAOTIC character and enjoyed the killing spree he could wreak with this. He went into Yhaunn and started having a field day. IT took MANY MANY characters to stop him, and half of Yhaunn was flooded trying to stop him. Eventually they did it, and the backlash caused ARioch to gain NO FAVOUR In the realms. Such is the nature of chaos.

I also have pretty much made DAMARA and Vaasa mine. Currently Vaasa is a united SAVAGE kingdom of barbarians and Lycanthropes ruled under the surprisingly efficient King Derenarth I. King Derenarth was at one time a general of the purple dragons. One of my players PC's many years ago was an ALu-Fiend that could only be hit by +1 or better weapons. Well Derenarth captured the party in the name of Cormyr, and when the Alu-fiend mouothed off Derenarth cracked her across the face with his fist... DAMAGING her. This immediatlely set her on a path of investigation. Unfortunately Derenarth had already managed to infect his ENTIRE legion. DERENARTH had been a lycanthrope for so long he eventaully BECAME A true blood, and was VERY VERY lawful. In fact if ONE could KILL DERENARTH they could probably heal many generations of infected lycanthropes (I got the idea for DERENARTH from the Old FOX, WEREWOLF show which had a character that was part of the NAZI party who was an ANCIENT werewolf, and the FATHER of all WEREWOLVES in the world). Well the party figured Derenarth out, there was a paladin NPC named Sir Lowie Silversword, who attempted to slay Derenarth and himself got slain (and ressuerected), and Derenarth lead his legion to Vaasa, where he is currently a nation that must be dealt with. Vaasa has diplomatic ties to many nations, and MANY people fear what could happen if Derenarth was to die. Derenarth's 3rd ed stats are Human(Lycanthrope) LE Ftr14/Pal(fallen 6)/Black guard 10. With a Beefy Greater Werewolf template. Inceidently he HATES the people of the Black Blood, and attempts to either kill or convert them at any time.

Currently Damara is Ruled by King Donlevy, Since Gareth was killed around 1367 when a Death Knight from Vaasa (another fallen Paladin) tried to seize Damara. Gareth died from the Death Knight Antilon, and it was a PC barbarian named Korgran of the White Worm who killed Antilon. Antilon Defiled Gareth's body in such an Unholy way that he could not be ressurected. Queen Dragonsbane was then the ruler. Finally Dimian Ree of Heliogabulus hired Quietus N'A' lespit the most feared assassin to assassinate the queen and ofcourse he succeded, throwing the realm into civil war. Finally King Donlevy formerly Baron Donlevy the Young (all in the bloodstone lands accessory) defeated Dimian Ree and has ruled the land for two years peacefully. Duke Lowie Silversword of Cormyr, has a foreign legion of purple dragons in a small part of the Barony of Bloodstone, to keep an eye on Derenarth. Lowie is a DUKE in cormyr but also a Baron in Damara due to a bloodline from Impiltur that started in Damara.

Besides being a powerful nation militarily that people worry about, Vaasa is RICH in mineral wealth, both Precious metal and IRON, and many nations trade with Vaasa. Many people worry what this nation will do in the future, and general intelligence has it that only the nobility of Vaasa are werewolves. There is a VAST slave class in Vaasa, but surprisingly Vaasa is not a slave economy, with the heavy work being done by the peasant class, leading many good power of the lands to think only one thing... The human slaves are the equivalent of sheep, and used for food.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 07 Jul 2003 17:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  17:16:20  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also after my Damara Campaign became Status Quo, I started writing campaigns in Amn. Currently Amn has surrendered the lands conquered by The ogre mage Sythillis, and has written a treaty, stopping their advance. BUT Sythillis now has a sea port which troubles many nations. Amn could get no help from Tethyr due to past diplomatic disasters, though the current rumour is TETHYR might free the land of Sythillis, and the Hawk of the Lady Torandar Giantsbane is pushing for this. Of course when Tethyr frees this land, it will NOT be given back to AMN.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  03:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I love this! The full campaign logs must be facinating. A kingdom of lycanthropic nobles -- I like that. It's better than an all-mage aristocrasy. Tell me, did you come up with that, or did you steal er, borrow it from someone? (If there's a canon version of this, I can only plead my ignorance of gaming . . . .)

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:20:14  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bookwyrm, other than the TV character that inspired Derenarth, all of this just developed through time from my campaign. I did not INTEND derenarth to become the character he is now, but the moves the characters made, just gave Derenarth time and power. The original characters that Derenarth met are dead (thanks to a Rakshasa) except for the Alu-fiend. The nation of Vaasa being ruled by Lycanthropes just came to me one day as a cool idea.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:30:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is fantastic Mournblade, and exactly what I was hoping for. I always used to think that I was only one of a few gamers who made drastic changes to their own FR campaigns, but obviously...Anyway, I hope you have more to come.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  08:21:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam was actually destroyed in my FR campaign about two years ago. The current Zulkir of Necromancy for my FR campaign is a Lich/Necromancer, of my own creation named Ereckon Kar. He is also the Chosen of Kossuth.

He was the person responsible for closing Thay's borders during the ToT. Of course I have been slowly building up events behind the scenes as to the reasons why this so. It will be revealed in my campaign shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  11:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, this scroll has been quiet. I would have thought more DMs would have things to say!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  15:03:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that some DM's may be a little trepidacious about posting some of their material here for public opinion. Although I hope Mournblade has some other interesting material to post soon.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  03:58:26  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a 2nd edition campaign, I converted ALOT of modules form 1st edition to Forgotten Realms adventures. For instance, A1-A4 The slaver series, I used as the Slaving Arm of the Kraken Society. Well if you pleyed the modules you know they end with the Island sinking. Needless to say the Kraken and his Society is quite angry with the Company of the Singing Blades for this. Only one of the NPC's from the module MOdrommo the priest (Umberlee) survived and the Kraken has charged him with killing off the remaining characters. Gnedd a gnome illusionist/thief (the characters actually raided the island to rescue Gnedd's sister Gnancy), Lindenier A bard, Azeera a Bladesinger, and Hallikus a priest. THese characters all survived and are now about 16th level so the Kraken Society has their hands full. They are alive and well, but their slaving arm is completley disintegrated (much to Fzoul's liking).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  06:12:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'The Slavers' series'. I'll admit that is one FR series of modules I never actually got to use in a campaign. Were the any good Mournblade?. From what you have said here, these little snippets from the modules make them sound indeed very interesting. Maybe I should retreive these modules from my extra-dimensional storage space, and set to converting them to 3e for some interesting game play.

That is of course after the study sessions and exams for this week.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  06:38:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

'The Slavers' series'. I'll admit that is one FR series of modules I never actually got to use in a campaign. Were the any good Mournblade?. From what you have said here, these little snippets from the modules make them sound indeed very interesting. Maybe I should retreive these modules from my extra-dimensional storage space, and set to converting them to 3e for some interesting game play.

That is of course after the study sessions and exams for this week.

Actually Sage these were not FR adventures. They were just 1st ed modules I PLACED in the FR, altering them in places. I did the same with Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors (YES! They survived!), The Giant series, D1-3 and Q1, Cult of the Reptile God, S3 (so I used all the S series except Expedition to the Barrier Peaks which was a sci fi rip off), oh yeah and Dungeonland and Land beyond the Magic Mirror. I ran these modules so often and new them so well, I was easily able to convert them all to FR.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  10:41:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great . Thanks for the information Mournblade, they sound really interesting. I have those modules somewhere. I guess I have some conversion work to do once exams are over.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  11:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Dungeonland"? Sounds like a very deadly amusement park. Likely one where the PCs weren't very amused . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  13:47:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used 'Dungeonland', and 'Land Beyond the Magic Mirror' before, although it was so long ago, that I will probably have to replay them to refresh my and my players memories. In fact I went from them directly to Ravenloft I and II 'House on Griffon Hill'. Another great module.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  23:26:39  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

"Dungeonland"? Sounds like a very deadly amusement park. Likely one where the PCs weren't very amused . . . .

Bookwyrm Dungeonland was a VERY DANGEROUS wonderland! It was an EXCELLENT Tribute to Louis Carrol. I loved Dungeonland.

Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  00:37:44  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some changes to the FR I've made include a completely different pantheon of gods and goddesses. Though Some like Bane and Solonor are still present, most come from old mythology i.e. the Deities and Demigods book. I would have to say that Sembia is the most altered country as I have a king ruling the country. When I first started playing FR, the Dark Justice adventuring company came to the Realm from the world I had previously created. During the course of their adventures, they helped to liberate the country of Sembia from Lord Chaos aka "He who has no name" aka the "Dread Deciever". He was a godlike being of incredible power and an arch nemesis to the DJ party. His evil Horde had joined forces with Zhentil Keep and had taken over much of the Dale lands, Cormyr and Sembia. It was the leader of Dark Justice Stephen "Crazy" Krailin considered a hero by the people, who by popular demand stepped in and eventually was made King. In the final battle to defeat Chaos once and for all, Elminster joined the fight, but is believed lost in the horrific battle that took place. Whether he was killed, whether he accended as the many "worshipers of Elminster" believe or whether he is imprisioned to this day remains a topic of fireside debate some 20 years later. I'll have to post more later if anyone is interested.

Warduke the eternal Warrior. Let the rivers run red.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  02:22:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting. I have been thinking about some changes to incorporate into my campaigns surrounding Sembia. I know that I altered a little of the events portrayed in the Sembia series of novels to run alongside my plans to introduce a vast shadow-economic collective that secrets plans to run the Sembian economy from the shadows, slowly removing power from the merchants lords and Hulorn.

I will detail more of my plans for Sembia later.

Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have played almost exclusivly in FR for about 8 years and actually have about six timelines running. One is static so PC's can only effect minor changes. One of the more interesting lines we have played in started in the Netheril era which made conversion into third edition hard because Karsus never completed he's spell and magic is still whole. So only when Epic Handbook came out were we able to fully go back. In that particular line most of the gods don't exist anymore. The few that remain are Azuth, god of all magic, Moander didn't die, and Shar destroyed Selune and now battles Lathander most of the time. Old PCs or NPCs make up most the other gods. In ways of countries the biggest recent change was the destruction of Comyr. Most the Realms wouldn't even be recognizable to an outsider of our games. Evermeet never existed in the same way because Lloth managed to currupt wild elves. Most of Faerun is under the control of Thay or the Enclaves of Nethril. Mainly all the changes are accidental because we had bad luck playing in this timeline and thats one of the reasons I made a static game.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.

Edited by - Acaus Bellum on 16 Jul 2003 08:17:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000