Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  12:49:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lukas

I made a start of Lyrabar today, but between Father's Day, real work and the demands of Eric Boyd, I didn't get very far! I'm trying to get there for you, but realistically Lyrabar won't be done till the end of the week. The good news however is that I'll be presenting the info in the Forgotten Realms Adventures city format, which hopefully will be of most use.

In terms of your other queries, the Lords meet when they have to but at least once a month. Typically the meetings are in Lyrabar but occasionally they are held in other cities.

In terms of whether the Lords "rule Lyrabar", that depends on what is it you expect them to be doing. Do they deal with the day to day civil and criminal governance of the city? No they don't. Do they deal with specific stuff like raising the harbour tax, or appointing a new sword point (mercenary) unit? No they don't. I've noted this before in earlier responses: the Lords can be considered to be similar to the board of a big company. They make broad policy decisions and only deal with the nitty gritty when those issues are specifically referred to them for their consideration. There is a system whereby individuals can petition the Lords to make a direct submission to them on an issue of concern but they have a discretion on whether they agree and more often than not delegate the petition to an appropriate Royal Herald or Constable.

The "stationing" of Lords in various cities is a reflection of their role as the ultimate arbiter in disputes of significance and also to rein in noble and merchant excesses where required. A Lords' Decree is exactly that, and can't be made by a Royal Herald or Constable, so there has to be someone "on the ground" to make the emergency decisions (i.e. declare a quarantine in case of plague, call out the Warswords in case of civil unrest, etc.).

GEN-CON was indeed cool. Always great to catch up with old friends. Was especially chuffed that Eric Boyd made the effort to get there for a couple of days so we could catch up. My project turned out as planned and without a hitch. I'm hoping these Halls might soon showcase it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  02:00:41  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, I never got the email saying there was a new post. George, having them (or any of them) in the city format from FR Adventures is so very much more than I ever expected. I don't mean to be at all naggy or impatient, I was just curious. Thank you very much for taking time out of your life to do these things for us!

Also, the board members analogy really helped to put things in perspective, thank you.
I believe I speak for everyone when I say we'd all love to see what you put together for GEN-CON.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  11:51:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He definitely speaks for me, and anyone that doesnt want some GK is just plain mad.

As much GK lore as you can possibly work on is what i want. Impiltur is fast becoming one of the most detailed areas in the realms (alongside Waterdeep with its 5 sourcebooks), and i just want more.

Oh and i hope you get around to working on Netheril soon (as you hinted at as a goal in another thread). I'm busy rewriting my version of it but would love to steal yours.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  22:18:05  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, I have a question. Can you reveal, at least partialy, what is exacly the relationship between the Rengarth Barbarians, Nethererese, and Snow Hunters/Ulutiun? All of them are the most ancient speakers of Ulou languages, and seem to be in the north since before written history. Also Netherese used Draconic script, is it cnnected to the info you gave on uplifted ancient/prehistoric humans of the Realms? Maybe, for example, the three groups are related, but the ancestors of Netherese were solely under the dragons 'protectorate', while the Rengarth Tribes, and Snow Hunters later fell under Giants jurisdiction?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  13:31:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had this to say on p.16 of this thread in response to Markustay's question:
"I need a run-down on the inter-relationships of the Uthgardt/Rengardt and whatever other barbarinas were running around in the North at one time or another (like the Reghedmen, Snow people, Gur, Traell, Ice Hunters, Eraka, etc)

Maybe to keep it simple, just the relationships of those first two with the Netherese."

Okay, first things first, you are effectively asking me for a history of all human barbarians west of the Moonsea from the time humans first gathered into what could be described as "tribes" till about 500 or so DR. Big ask Markustay!

That said, much of the information you are after already exists, the majority of it gathered in GHotR.

What is clear from the outset is that apart from Netheril (and that is a special case in itself) the lack of any great human kingdoms in the North till the time of Delimbiyran, the Kingdom of Man, in the 600s DR means that significant human groupings manifested themselves as city-states (Ascalhorn, Slverymoon, Illusk et. al.) or as wandering tribal groups (Uthgardt, etc.).

That fact means that there wasn't really a significant amount of "interrelationships" between the humans of the North.

Going back to the "beginning" also presents some problems. If humans are one of the Creator Races, then they have been around for a long time. I've always been of the view that giants and dragons enslaved humans for millenia but the time of these great races was over by -24,000 DR or so with the advent of the First Flowering.

Netheril doesn't come into being until -3859 DR, so we essentially have a 20,000 year period when the history of humans is undetailed. I don't propose to fill that gap in here.

However, in the North geographical region, I'm of the view that humans (basically of Ulutiun stock) eked out an existence amidst all the 'big boys' (i.e. the dragons, giants, elves and dwarves) in isolated pockets throughout the great mountain range known as the Spine of the World. As the threat of the dragons and the giants receded (and correspondingly the threat from their greatest local competitor - the orcs - increased) these humans began a slow migration south from the mountains into more temperate lands.

Of these human groupings, the most well known are the Ice Hunters who clustered along the western coast of the Trackless Sea as south as the Neverwinter Wood (then the elven realm of Illefarn) and inland up to the site of present day Mirabar. The elves of Illefarn kept these humans in check but did not do anything to them other than prevent them coming into elven lands. If anything, the humans were 'penned in' in this region for the elven woodlands were much more extensive than they are in the present-day Realms and it is likely that the forests covered the entire area south of the Ice Lakes save for the region of the Crags.

It is also possible that other "Ice Hunter" human groupings clustered in areas where the elves and dwarves did not. As such, the Evermoors may have been the site of human habitation in those distant times also. As is obvious, humans were relegated to marginal lands.

To the east, the land was less wooded and mountainous and in these open areas - notwithstanding the everpresent danger of orcs and dragons - humans prospered. The taming of horses was the greatest achievement in this time and these humans became the Rengarth barbarians. I consider that all humans of this area were Rengarth, with offshoots from these tribal groupings who founded permanent and semi-permanent dwellings and engaged in agriculture becoming the precursors of the realms of Netheril and Thaeravel and no doubt a host of unknown others.

We have now reached recorded canon history. GHotR tracks the development of human civilisation from the time of Netheril to the present. The genesis of the Reghedmen is dated at -2,100 DR. The Traell of Hartsvale come to their lands in -325 DR.

The relationship of the Eraka, the barbarians of the Ride, and the humans of the North in very early times is not set out in the canon sources other than the comment in GHotR at p.10. I consider that as before, there were humans here who were enslaved by dragons and giants. Those that survived created tribal groupings and I consider that at least one grouping retained enough "civilization" from their likely former giant masters to take over and maintain the Citadel of the Raven fortresses (that they had likely built for their giant masters) for a few centuries before some enemy or cataclysm brought that realm to an end.

Survivors likely coalesced into nomadic barbarian tribes, which in the -400s DR or so received the gift of horses from Rengarth barbarians travelling west to escape the depredations of the phaerimm whose 'lifedrain' magics had destroyed the Narrow Sea and their ancestral grasslands. I note that "Races of Faerun" (p.108) states that the Ride barbarians had the Angardt as their ancestors while the Tunlar barbarians had the Rengarth as their ancestors. I consider that this is an error as the Netheril boxed set maps make it clear that the Rengarth were the northern tribal grouping, while the Angardt were the southern.

The Gur come into the equation last, and "Races of Faerun" at p.106 provides information as to how they arrived in the Heartlands from -200 DR. The exact mechanism of the move isn't set out, but I'm thinking that this was another portal migration.

I hope this has been helpful. If you are after anything else, let me know.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  15:18:29  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply George! I don't know how I could miss this, while searching through the forums, and even this thread...Talk about failing a spot-check XD.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  02:27:08  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks (has it been that long?) ago I read a piece of yours about a Mist dragon devoted to Oghma? Deneir? I believe it was an unpublished Wyrms of the North article and was most excellent. I figured it would be here, in this scroll, but have since been unable to find it. Could you refresh a forgetful Scribes memory and shove me in the direction of the proper shelf. I wonder if there is a scroll dedicated to such things. If not, there should be.

Woops. Just found it on page 3. Sorry.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 30 Sep 2014 02:29:49
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  04:04:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is becoming a little cumbersome. Certainly not Ed-cumbersome, but a little.

Glad you found Ouranalathra. I really enjoyed writing her up back in the day.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  04:27:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you like me to seal this present scroll, Krash, and open a fresh one above it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  06:46:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think so. It'll disappear down the page eventually and then nobody will remember the goodies in it.

What I was thinking of doing was cataloguing all the lore I've ... ahem ... made up, and listing it all in a sticky with a page reference relevant to this scroll. That way people can refer to that first and then go to the exact page they need. It would be updated as lore was added. Do you think that would work/is doable?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  08:24:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not a bad idea... a sticky scroll that directs scribes to specific entries you've made in this scroll.

Hmmmm. We could even provide the links for these specific posts, I suppose... so that scribes need only click on a page reference in the index and the entry itself then opens up to them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  15:17:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff, friend Krash, but two parts puzzle me:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

- Rilyaril “the Scarlet Sorceress” (CN human Damaran female enchantress 8), a stunningly beautiful mage who is widely rumoured to use her natural and magical charms to obtain and broker information throughout the city. Her private parties are legendary and marked by dancing, feasting and more salubrious activities.

quote:

As is typical of most large cities, the dock area is the more salubrious part of Lyrabar. Lyrabar is so policed and well-ordered however that the docks of the city do not even come close to approximating the environment found in places such as Marsember and Calaunt.

In both of those passages, the word "salubrious" appears, and it doesn't appear to be used in a way I am familiar with... Was there a spellcheck error, do I need to go back to my dictionary, or am I totally misunderstanding these bits?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  15:44:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it fits - he is taking it to mean 'energetic', me thinks, which fits both the definition and how he uses it.

EDIT: Also, great lore... as always.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2014 15:45:31
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  15:45:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool, thanks George!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  16:26:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think it fits - he is taking it to mean 'energetic', me thinks, which fits both the definition and how he uses it.

EDIT: Also, great lore... as always.

Yes, probably should have used "vibrant" instead for the docks reference. Have made the change accordingly.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 05 Oct 2014 16:27:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  04:49:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious and great stuff, Krash, as always.

One follow-up:-
quote:

- Imthaeryl “the Sunflame” Darnthul (CG half-elf female bard 9), a fixture at the Smiling Mermaid festhall, where she plays the lyre and provides other entertainment to those with ready coin. She is known to have ties with the Moonstars and is absent from the city every Midsummer, returning a tenday later;
Does Imthaeryl play any other instruments? What more could you share with us about her performances at the Smiling Mermaid? Can you tell us how she gained the nickname "the Sunflame?"

Many thanks, as always.

[Oh, and this is going in the Impiltur compilation!]

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  12:15:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome stuff George, well worth the wait and its going into my collection of Realmslore right now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  12:32:09  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert (snip) In both of those passages, the word "salubrious" appears, and it doesn't appear to be used in a way I am familiar with... Was there a spellcheck error, do I need to go back to my dictionary, or am I totally misunderstanding these bits?

It's Australian slang. "How was the party?" "Most salubrious." We used to (mis)use it all the time as teens about 30 years ago. (I think I'm around the same age as George - I'm 45 - which is why I understood why he used the word even if it is not strictly correct.)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  12:39:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's nerdy slang. I like it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  17:57:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert (snip) In both of those passages, the word "salubrious" appears, and it doesn't appear to be used in a way I am familiar with... Was there a spellcheck error, do I need to go back to my dictionary, or am I totally misunderstanding these bits?

It's Australian slang. "How was the party?" "Most salubrious." We used to (mis)use it all the time as teens about 30 years ago. (I think I'm around the same age as George - I'm 45 - which is why I understood why he used the word even if it is not strictly correct.)

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  07:19:35  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been unable to express how amazing this piece has been for me and mine as I was in Arizona and away from a computer. Luckily for me, I managed to print it out before we took off, so I was able to read and reread it. Truly spectacularly helpful and more than I ever expected or intended when I asked about it. Thank you very much, George!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  05:15:14  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya George, have you named the six Warprows of Impiltur at Lyrabar, or their captains circa 1365? How far out into the Sea of Fallen Stars do these ships range? Are they used for war purposes only, or do they challenge unfamiliar merchant vessels bound for Lyrabar?

Looking forward to seeing more of the cities!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  03:14:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Special announcement:- I'm now on the last few pages of the "Impiltur" compilation I've been putting together for Krash. It's been a long road, and my time to devote to the project over the last several weeks has been severely curtailed by heavy work commitments*. Really, I shouldn't have even been stopping past Candlekeep today, either, but I just wanted to let curious folk know that this project will shortly be on it's way to George for a final look-over and advisement commentary. Then he'll be able to decide what course-to-follow for release from there.

* -- Sorry George, I know I'd promised you the supplement over the weekend of 10-11/Oct, but unexpected work had to come first, unfortunately. I'm nearly ready now, though, and seeking final hours for complete refinement and updates from my notebooks.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  08:40:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, i am positively drooling with anticipation.

With the Impiltur compilation and Eric Boyd's impending Illefarn release this has possibly been the best year for FR lore in a decade.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  11:03:50  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, I was going through and redoing my Impiltur Binder when I noticed something I was hoping to get some clarification on. Of the Lords who have passed away (and thus been replaced), you mention that Lord Imbraun was succeeded by his son Selbraun. Who is this fella?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  13:25:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which fella? Imbraun or Selbraun? And what do you want to know about him (them)?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  04:20:40  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, uh, Selbraun. From what I've read he succeeded his father (Imbraun), but isn't on the current roster of Lords. Since he's not on the list of Lords who have passed, I'm just wondering what happened to him and why he isn't on the Council still? He couldn't have been much older than the "newbie" Lords, so I can't imagine he retired or died of old age. I'm just curious because he was part of the ruling body of Impiltur, so he's an important fella.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  07:08:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who said he's not on the current Council?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  22:57:24  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused because you did. In your Dragon Magazine Impiltur article you listed the current roster of the Council of Lords, and the only three "s" names are Silaunbrar, Soargilm, and Simgar. Are there something like "mini-Councils" or am I not catching onto something?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  15:12:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

I'm confused because you did. In your Dragon Magazine Impiltur article you listed the current roster of the Council of Lords, and the only three "s" names are Silaunbrar, Soargilm, and Simgar. Are there something like "mini-Councils" or am I not catching onto something?

Well after doing a bit of checking it would appear that the editorial staff at DRAGON magazine didn't like the name Selbraun and substituted the name Engarth instead, changing my original submission. Had never noticed that until now. I've gone back and fixed the reference I made to him on this thread at p.24. Well spotted Lukas!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000