Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  18:45:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you prettified the formatting first, Wooly; there's nothing quite like a plain-text PDF to cause eyestrain.

Seriously: That is some great lore, Krash. My first question to you is: how far along are you on that Impiltur lineage project?

My second question is related to that project regarding lore already released: I was looking at the dates on the ASCII family tree that was released a while back (I believe through the REALMS-L postings) and noticed that there's a rather uniformly-long generation gap between the sons of Imphras II and their progeny. I'm guessing this is necessitated by dates in the lore, but it still seemed to me to be... extreme. I know the story of Lashilmbrar and the reasons for his delay in producing an heir, but considering the generally short lifespans and reigns of members of the Heltharn dynasty, you'd think he would have felt more urgency. What's up with the long(ish) gap across the board? Or was that Soneillon messing with the fertility of the royal line? Seems to me to be as good an explanation as any...

No third question. That's all I've got for now. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to seeing that completed lineage.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Nov 2008 18:46:19
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  19:18:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I hope you prettified the formatting first, Wooly; there's nothing quite like a plain-text PDF to cause eyestrain.

If not, I've put together a version that makes it easier to read.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  23:41:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Krash, that is some good stuff. I just made a pdf out of that, and I'm putting it in the same folder as the published Wyrms of the North articles.

Indeed. Now all we need is a nice little portrait of Ouranalathra to go along with it -- WotN-style.

Krash, I don't suppose you'd want to try your artistic hand at something like that?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  00:04:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Seriously: That is some great lore, Krash. My first question to you is: how far along are you on that Impiltur lineage project?

Not as far as I'd like unfortunately. The early dynasty, the Mirandors, is a hodge podge of notes and how I 'know' things should/will be, but nothing written out in nice, lore-crammed prose unfortunately.

quote:
My second question is related to that project regarding lore already released: I was looking at the dates on the ASCII family tree that was released a while back (I believe through the REALMS-L postings) and noticed that there's a rather uniformly-long generation gap between the sons of Imphras II and their progeny. I'm guessing this is necessitated by dates in the lore, but it still seemed to me to be... extreme. I know the story of Lashilmbrar and the reasons for his delay in producing an heir, but considering the generally short lifespans and reigns of members of the Heltharn dynasty, you'd think he would have felt more urgency. What's up with the long(ish) gap across the board? Or was that Soneillon messing with the fertility of the royal line? Seems to me to be as good an explanation as any...

No third question. That's all I've got for now. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to seeing that completed lineage.

There are a couple of reasons for the 'longish gap'. Firstly, Imphras II was married twice, first to Lasheela Wellhaven (died in the early part of 1204DR) and then to Rebaera Osterhown. He had his first two sons, Talryn and Lashilmbrar with Lasheela and the last four, Kuskur, Velimbrar, Elphras and Fylraun with Rebaera.

The personality of Lashilmbrar didn't lend itself to the idea of heirs and succession simnply because he prevailed upon the court magician Calabrin to extend his longevity through magic (as indeed Calabrin had assisted him with magical seemings to pose as his father in the waning days of Imphras II's reign as his father was in no fit state to make proper appearances at court) and initially believed that such a state of affairs could continue indefinitely. The two were very 'close' and their relationship didn't lend itself to Lashilmbrar taking a wife and producing heirs for the realm.

Then of course, the aged but still vigorous Calabrin died in 1270DR and with him died a part of Lashilmbrar and his supply of longevity magics. The nature of his death, the failure of a 'potion of longevity', made Lashilmbrar understand for the first time that magic would not make him immortal and the risks associated with trying. Calabrin's successor, his great-nephew Selarbrin was a talented wizard but not equipped to assist Lashilmbrar in this regard anyway and truly, Lashilmbrar barely spoke to the man as he resembled his great-uncle in looks and that wound was still too raw for the king.

However Lashilmbrar had never been anything that could be described as sentimental and his practicality made him understand that if he did not produce an heir to the throne, the line of succession would transition to that of his half-brother Kuskur whom he dealt with (unfairly as it turned out) with barely concealed contempt. So it was that Lashilmbrar took a wife, Thelmara Rorntarn, in 1274DR who bore him two sons, Imphras III in 1276DR and Rilimbrar in 1280DR in a loveless marriage of dynastic expedience.

Of the other sons of Imphras II, Elphras was never wed and had no children and Kuskur was married late in life in 1253DR to Elthinda Balindre of Telflamm. The other two, Velimbrar and Fylraun married in their twenties and had lots of kids.

I hope that answers your question sufficiently.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Nov 2008 00:07:15
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  00:09:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Krash, I don't suppose you'd want to try your artistic hand at something like that?

If it's one thing that the Realms has taught me, it's "Know your limitations".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  09:05:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

<chop>

-- George Krashos

It does, thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  09:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I read about your mantles, good work by the way.
Here is a question I have: did you or one of the other writters ever think about a Personel Mythallar, from the Neteril magical past?

Me and a friend of mine when the 2e fr Neteril Empire of Magic made such a high magic device. I have up dated the Personel Mythallar
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  13:10:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

Yes I read about your mantles, good work by the way.
Here is a question I have: did you or one of the other writters ever think about a Personel Mythallar, from the Neteril magical past?

Me and a friend of mine when the 2e fr Neteril Empire of Magic made such a high magic device. I have up dated the Personel Mythallar

Truly, honestly, I never liked mythallars and considered much of the material in the 'Netheril' boxed set to be outlandish, ill-thought out, unbalanced power concepts that caused more headaches than what they were worth.

'Personal' mythallars as I recall were created in the short story anthology "Realms of the Arcane" and again didn't float my boat much, if at all.

As a result, I don't like to visit that boxed set or the lore in it too often - it makes my head hurt.

So the short answer to your question is: "No, I haven't thought about personal mythallars and likely never will".

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  14:20:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah those Netherese gave us that dude Karsus. If he wouldn't have tried to off The First Mystrly(sp) we wouldn't have Mystra getting killed every other day.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Nov 2008 14:21:36
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  22:45:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

<chop>

-- George Krashos

It does, thanks!

Well... it did... and then I thought of something else. Was the magical longevity of Lashilmbrar something of a retcon to explain his appearance at a number of widely-separated canon dates, or perhaps to explain the wide gap between his birth and that of his son? Or was it part of Ed's notes on the Heltharn chronology from before you started on it? Just curious... it's a good thing I'm not a cat, as the old saying goes regarding cats and curiosity... because between you and Brian C./Garen, I've probably used up all my nine lives by now with my pestering for details. I'm trying to be very patient and non-pestiferous with Brian and Ed right now, in the hopes that we'll soon see the mythical Cormyr Lineage document in all its wondrous glory; right now, I'm working on integrating the Eorn/Lorndessar Westgate connection to the Obarskyrs... but now I need a better genealogy program. Thanks again!

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Nov 2008 22:51:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  10:38:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we were originally bound by the timeline of Impiltur monarchs in FR6 'Dreams of Red Wizards' (p.4) which set Imphras II, Lashilmbrar, Rilimbrar and Sambryl into the timeline. The gaps there were simply 'there' and had to be accepted as is.

What followed were two pieces of extraneous lore:

- RA Salvatore's statement in FR9 'The Bloodstone Lands' that Sambryl was married to Imphras IV; and
- Curtis Scott's statements about Talryn, Crown Prince of Lyrabar, in FOR2 'Pirates of the Fallen Stars'.

Eric Boyd originally came up with a timeline and lineage that had Lashilmbrar as the eldest son of Imphras II (with Imphras III as his son) and Rilimbrar as his fifth son with Imphras IV a son of either the second, third or fourth son.

I noted to him at the time that FR6 (still our earliest and best source) clearly stated that Rilimbrar was Lashilmbrar's son and so that had to be re-jigged.

Talryn was brainstormed and we came up with the idea that he had been "stricken" from the royal records for treachery. Steven gave us some details in 'Sea of Fallen Stars' (which borrowed more than a few of the lore concepts that were supposed to go into the aborted 'Demonlands' project) but the dates were screwy. Thankfully a 26 year shift (a Cormyr Reckoning to Dale Reckoning transposition "error" as we explained) made them marry up pretty well to Imphras II and we had him in place.

Imphras IV was tougher. Eric originally had him as a younger son of Kuskur and brother of Thaum but I argued that this made him way too old for Sambryl and eventually got my way - he was made Thaum's son and the 'Traitor Prince'.

When we cobbled the dates and people together we weren't honestly too concerned with the time gaps, just wanting to get everything straight and neat with everything else. It was only when the lineage was 'set' that I then set about pondering the whys and wherefores of Impiltur's monarchs and began to weave and craft explanations for most everything.

All in all, given the spanners that were thrown into the maelstrom, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  11:00:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Demonlands Project. Now why does that sound very, very interesting?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  21:24:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE

Because it was! Steven put out the call to the old REALMS-L mailing list that he was planning to do a product on 'The Demonlands' (as I recall that meant Impiltur, Thesk and the Great Dale) and the product was going to be provocatively titled as such.

As was his practice (and its like has never been seen again) he asked the fans to help with research - to provide to him all references and lore on the locales for him to weave into a shining whole. Just like he did for 'Lands of Intrigue' and 'Empires of the Shining Sea'.

Alas, 'The Demonlands' never came to fruition. Steven was moved from his position as lead designer on the Realms to do work on that icon of gaming, Alternity, and 3E came along.

Of course Steven's Impiltur and 'my' Impiltur (as showcased in Dragon#346) would likely have differed in many, many ways. I would still love to have seen it though ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  21:34:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-. So how much made it into those books in 3E?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 Nov 2008 23:21:24
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  00:55:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-. So how much made it into those books in 3E?

BRIMSTONE

How much "what" made it into 'those books in 3E'?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  04:33:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I guess I am confusing. I meant what was going into the Demonlands Project, how much if any made it into 3e. What is in Champions of Ruin?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  06:16:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I guess I am confusing. I meant what was going into the Demonlands Project, how much if any made it into 3e. What is in Champions of Ruin?

BRIMSTONE

Ahh, now I get you. The answer to that is easy: none. The only prelim work that Steven did on the Demonlands project found its way into 'Sea of Fallen Stars'. The material in 'Champions of Ruin' and 'Champions of Valor' comes from Eric and myself.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Nov 2008 06:17:10
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  09:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the champions of ruin, especally the nodes items.

If you don't mind a question about lay lines. To me it would seem that lay lines go along with the nodes.
And what node other things were not put in the book, such as a few more feats and spells and such? And do you have that list and other node items left out of the book, like the mantles you posted.

Edited by - Rolindin on 18 Nov 2008 09:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  12:44:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  23:11:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

I like the champions of ruin, especally the nodes items.

If you don't mind a question about lay lines. To me it would seem that lay lines go along with the nodes.
And what node other things were not put in the book, such as a few more feats and spells and such? And do you have that list and other node items left out of the book, like the mantles you posted.

Unfortunately, neither Eric nor I did any design work on the nodes section of 'Champions of Ruin'. Sean Reynolds may have done this design work so maybe you might check with him on his thread.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  14:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

Because it was! Steven put out the call to the old REALMS-L mailing list that he was planning to do a product on 'The Demonlands' (as I recall that meant Impiltur, Thesk and the Great Dale) and the product was going to be provocatively titled as such.

As was his practice (and its like has never been seen again) he asked the fans to help with research - to provide to him all references and lore on the locales for him to weave into a shining whole. Just like he did for 'Lands of Intrigue' and 'Empires of the Shining Sea'.

Alas, 'The Demonlands' never came to fruition. Steven was moved from his position as lead designer on the Realms to do work on that icon of gaming, Alternity, and 3E came along.

Of course Steven's Impiltur and 'my' Impiltur (as showcased in Dragon#346) would likely have differed in many, many ways. I would still love to have seen it though ...

-- George Krashos

The closest I came to putting my stamp on Impiltur was in Sea of Fallen Stars and the scenes with Alustriel, Tsarra, and Khelben on the Dead Man's Walk in Blackstaff. Near everything else I worked in came from George's and others' works.

And I disagree that they'd have differed that much; I could have brought you around to my way of thinking.

Steven
www.steveneschend.com
Five or more worlds under development before your eyes!
Come join the fun and the forums!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  02:37:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, 58 days ago I sent an e-mail query to Dragon magazine which hasn't been responded to. I don't expect a reply on day 59 or 60. So here are a bunch of FR poisons updated for 4E. Enjoy.

TALONA’S TESTAMENT: POISONS OF THE FORGOTTEN REALMS

In the end, it always outmatched strength of arm or speed of spell. My poisons brought low Athkatla’s mighty Goromund “the Lord of the Lanes”, the archmage Beltyn, the orc chieftain Rauthgog and a host of others whose names are now lost to memory. A few drops, a speedy strike or the touch of bare flesh was all it ever took to bring them within Talona’s embrace. She of the Deadly Kiss drank deeply of my labours and favored me with her deadly blessings.

Targoth “the Silent” Urthang
Mephitic Musings: Tales of a Master Assassin
Year of the Envenomed Bolt (339 DR)

The annals of the Realms are filled with stories of deadly poisonings and the changes they have wrought to kingdoms and those who dwell within them. Loremasters and sages continue to keep alive the tales of such legendary figures as King Anthar of Ammarindar who fell to the poisoned arrows of the orcs of the Seven Heads Horde or the giant chieftain Kormuk of the Lone Mount, slain after partaking of cattle carcasses liberally poisoned by the adventuring band known as the Company of the Stormsword.

The use of poison remains a preserve of the unprincipled or the desperate but as the history of Faerûn has shown time and again, the lands of the Realms holds no lack of such individuals. Presented here are a number of poisons unique to the Forgotten Realms which DMs are free to introduce into their campaigns.

Huld Level 5 Poison

Also referred to as “Leap” or “Deathdance”, this odorless oil causes loss of motor control, balance and speech.

Poison: 250 gp
Attack: +5 vs. Fortitude; dazed and the target takes a -2 penalty to its Reflex defence (save ends).
Aftereffect: The target takes a -2 penalty to its Reflex defence (save ends).

Jesseret Level 5 Poison

This purple, prickly-peppery powder is named for a lady thief who concocted it centuries ago.

Poison: 250 gp
Attack: +10 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 5 poison damage and weakened (save ends both).
First Failed Save: The target is slowed as well as weakened (save ends all).
Second Failed Save: The target is immobilised instead of slowed as well as weakened (save ends all).
Special: This poison can only be delivered by way of food. It makes its first attack 2d6 minutes after its victim consumes it.

Ulcrun Level 5 Poison

A milky-white, viscous liquid which is a favourite of orcs and ogres.

Poison: 500 gp
Attack: +5 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 5 poison damage and takes a -2 penalty to initiative (save ends both).
Aftereffect: The target takes a -2 penalty to initiative (save ends).

Dwarfbane Level 10 Poison

A rare, gummy oil that causes pain “like blazing skewers”, this poison brings swift and violent reprisals from vengeful dwarves against all creatures that use it.

Poison: 1,250 gp
Attack: +15 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 12 poison damage.
Special: This poison affects only dwarves and negates their +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison.

Jeteye Level 10 Poison

This glossy, black liquid causes the pupils of the eyes to go black with no adverse effect on vision. It has a bitter, black walnut flavour and is hard to conceal in food or drink.

Poison: 1,500 gp
Attack: +13 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 8 poison damage and -2 penalty to defences (save ends both).
Special: The target gains a +5 bonus to Endurance checks whilst affected by this poison.

Belpren Level 15 Poison

This luminescent blue, acidic substance corrodes flesh on contact but quickly becomes ineffective if exposed to air. It is often used in traps.

Poison: 6,250 gp
Attack: +18 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 15 poison damage.
Special: All saving throws against this poison are made with a -2 penalty. This poison cannot be used on weapons.

Orvas Level 15 Poison

A translucent liquid with a green cast and a bittersweet taste, this poison was once a favourite of assassins from the land of Thay.

Poison: 6,250 gp
Attack: +20 vs. Fortitude; blinded (save ends).
Aftereffect: The target takes a -3 penalty to attack rolls and Perception checks (save ends both).
Special: If this poison is delivered by way of food or drink it makes its first attack 2d6 rounds after its victim consumes it.

Varrakas Level 15 Poison

This black, thick syrup has a slightly oily taste but no strong flavour. It is commonly used in the Inner Sea lands and is a favourite poison of the Zhentarim.

Poison: 7,250 gp
Attack: +18 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 5 poison damage and the target takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
First Failed Save: The target takes ongoing 7 poison damage and a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
Second Failed Save: The target takes ongoing 10 poison damage and a -3 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
Special: If this poison is delivered by way of food or drink it makes its first attack 1d6 rounds after its victim consumes it.

Lhurdas Level 20 Poison

Referred to as “the Yellow Death” and “Beltyn’s Last Drink” for its most famous victim, this poison has a sharp, dry white-grape flavour.

Poison: 31,250 gp
Attack: +20 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 15 poison damage and dazed (save ends both).
First Failed Save: The target is stunned instead of dazed (save ends all).
Special: This poison can only be delivered by way of drink. It makes its first attack 1d6 rounds after its victim consumes it. This poison can affect a target only once in any 24-hour period.

Saisha Level 20 Poison

Made from ever-rarer Tashlutan herbs, this flavourless, reddish liquid is known as “Hammerlock” for the rigid immobility it causes. It is commonly used by slavers to subdue their prey.

Poison: 38,250 gp
Attack: +23 vs. Fortitude; paralyzed (save ends) [see sidebar].
Aftereffect: immobilised (save ends).
Special: If this poison is delivered by way of food or drink it makes its first attack 1d4 rounds after its victim consumes it. All saving throws against this poison are made with a -3 penalty.

START SIDEBAR

Paralyzed

This is a new condition as described in the Players Handbook (p.277). If you are paralyzed you are affected as follows:

- You grant combat advantage
- You can’t take actions
- You fall prone, if possible
- You can’t flank an enemy
- You can’t move from your space although you can teleport or be forced to move by a pull, a push or a slide.

END SIDEBAR

Prespra Level 25 Poison

This odourless, colorless liquid is colloquially known as “Mother’s Bane”.

Poison: 156,250 gp
Attack: +25 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 20 poison damage and takes a -2 penalty to Fortitude defence (save ends both).
First Failed Save: The target takes ongoing 20 poison damage and takes a -5 penalty to Fortitude defence (save ends both).
Special: This poison affects only humans and can be delivered only by way of drink save for milk and dairy products from which it readily separates.

Srindym Level 25 Poison

An iridescent, silver liquid, this poison was created by the eladrin millennia ago and often used by less principled individuals of that race against “lesser” races.

Poison: 164,250 gp
Attack: +30 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 25 poison damage (save ends).
Special: If this poison is delivered by way of food or drink it makes its first attack 1d6 minutes after its victim consumes it. The target also takes a -5 penalty to Athletics and Acrobatics checks until it completes an extended rest.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 10 Oct 2015 18:25:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  04:13:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent stuff Krash. We can never have too many poison-related items to drop into our Realms campaigns.

Though, since it's unlikely to be featured in DRAGON, would you like us to format this work-up for possible inclusion on Candlekeep's Main Site instead?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  07:26:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Excellent stuff Krash. We can never have too many poison-related items to drop into our Realms campaigns.

Though, since it's unlikely to be featured in DRAGON, would you like us to format this work-up for possible inclusion on Candlekeep's Main Site instead?

Sure, why not.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  08:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, 58 days ago I sent an e-mail query to Dragon magazine which hasn't been responded to. I don't expect a reply on day 59 or 60. So here are a bunch of FR poisons updated for 4E. Enjoy.

Out of curiousity: What does the 60-day time limit have to do with things*?

*Silently hoping for more 60-day time limits to expire. Their loss, our gain! *gleeful cackle*

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  10:26:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Out of curiousity: What does the 60-day time limit have to do with things*?

*Silently hoping for more 60-day time limits to expire. Their loss, our gain! *gleeful cackle*

When you make an article query to Dragon magazine they tell you that if they are interested in your article they will respond within 60 days. No response means that they aren't interested presumably.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  14:37:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>
I think you got your wish...

The 4e Impiltur sounds a lot like these 'Demonlands'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  16:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting the poison submission George. I think that’s a fantastic precedent to set and I believe I’ll do the same. You're not the only one getting the 'silent treatment' these days Krash.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  04:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When you make an article query to Dragon magazine they tell you that if they are interested in your article they will respond within 60 days. No response means that they aren't interested presumably.
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Thank you for posting the poison submission George. I think that’s a fantastic precedent to set and I believe I’ll do the same. You're not the only one getting the 'silent treatment' these days Krash.
Does that mean that your submission can then become public domain, as you showed here and Brian seems to allude to?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  04:42:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I post it here on Candlekeep then I intend the fans to see it and use it. No point in it languishing on my HD doing nothing. If I got an e-mail tomorrow from WotC saying "We are interested in your FR poisons article", I'd simply tell them that it has already been released into the public domain and can't/shouldn't be published.

Such a state of affairs wouldn't bother me in the slightest. My days of having a burning desire to be published are now a thing of the past. I'm getting too old and too busy to bother with stuff like that. As in the past, if WotC are interested in me and mine, they'll let me know.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000