Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  04:20:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Demi-Plane full of Orcs! LOLOL Yes, now what if they were all undead now...

Thanks for the treat George!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  06:26:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your easter eggs are always far too well hidden for me to locate. They just blend in with the lore seamlessly.

So the place the three baelnorns dwelled before moving. Would that be the same vault the netherese uncovered? The name of those three reminds me of the olyn gesir (sorry for the mispelling) was that intentional.

I love the ghazneths origin now. I can easily see how they are virtually invulnerable being essesntially human versions of baelnorn.

Those trees of memory are new for me. I take it they are a place for elven souls that acts like a communal kiira of sorts.

The demiplane of the orcs is great. Im going to twist it because i have them already as demi planes. Far easier to shift the already existing plane out the way than create a new one. Plus it gives me an idea for doubloon.

Again this is a great piece of work. Ots getting added to my list of official realmslore.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  05:16:37  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is there another of getting hold of the gencon article if one wasnt able to attend?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  08:45:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been uploaded here at Candlekeep. Just go to the main page.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  20:13:16  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, that makes a lot sense. I thought since you don't read too much about Impilturan graveyards except for Halls that dead kings are buried in that they must be doing something else with the dead. So would the services be largely based on the prevailing church of the city/region, or does the Triad have some collective program?
I've just begun reading your newest article George, and it's already very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  11:11:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Ahh, that makes a lot sense. I thought since you don't read too much about Impilturan graveyards except for Halls that dead kings are buried in that they must be doing something else with the dead. So would the services be largely based on the prevailing church of the city/region, or does the Triad have some collective program?
I've just begun reading your newest article George, and it's already very interesting.

The Triad churches are always available to provide the "Cleansing Fire". When temple facilities aren't available, commoners just build a pyre. This is common in the Uplands. Some of the churches in Impiltur don't provide cremation services (such as the Church of Sune) but there are crematoria in each of the major cities and regional centres.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  07:30:58  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading the article, alot of good and interesting stuff in there. with all these lore tidbits in there will you pursue any expansions on some of the lore you wrote in the article for candlekeep or the dmsguild? I ask because i see alot of potential new articles that could be derived from the lore in this article that i'm sure many of the scribes here would be interested in seeing.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  08:01:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong but i get the feeling that in most cases george likes to see what others can do based on his works. Planting the seeds and watching them grow.

Of course he has a few special cases that he likes to do himself.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  10:09:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

I just finished reading the article, alot of good and interesting stuff in there. with all these lore tidbits in there will you pursue any expansions on some of the lore you wrote in the article for candlekeep or the dmsguild? I ask because i see alot of potential new articles that could be derived from the lore in this article that i'm sure many of the scribes here would be interested in seeing.

Hi Kysus

I would be happy to answer any questions people might have but as for lore expansions or other articles on the topics showcased in my Seminar handout, that's unlikely. I already have about a dozen half-formed projects on the go, sitting on my HD and needing time and attention, and am struggling to devote much of either to them.

Also, I'm not convinced that the DMs Guild is the place to actually showcase FR lore, because there is so little actually being produced. What there is, is swamped in a morass of crunchy stuff that utterly fails to turn my head. So I'll just keep plodding along and hopefully providing some musings that interest people along the way.

Of course, as dazzlerdal states, I'd love to see what people take from my musings and create for themselves and their games. Like Ed, I take singular pleasure in seeing that happen.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  19:54:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then George. Im loving the origin for the magic surrounding the forests of cormyr.

I do have a question that im wondering if you had already thought about. Im pretty sure after some discussions with scribes at the keep, that thauglor was said to have a link to the magic of the land. Does that then mean that Thauglor has sired a child with an Obaskyr and thus become part of this magic that preserves their vitality.

It would be a delicious irony if thauglor lost control of the land to the elves only to then steal it back by impregnating one of the obaskyrs the elves bequeethed it to.

Anyway thats it. That and the other three or four questions ive asked and the ten or so i will ask after ive read it again and again.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  22:24:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

So then George. Im loving the origin for the magic surrounding the forests of cormyr.

I do have a question that im wondering if you had already thought about. Im pretty sure after some discussions with scribes at the keep, that thauglor was said to have a link to the magic of the land. Does that then mean that Thauglor has sired a child with an Obaskyr and thus become part of this magic that preserves their vitality.

It would be a delicious irony if thauglor lost control of the land to the elves only to then steal it back by impregnating one of the obaskyrs the elves bequeethed it to.

I'd already thought of that one, myself, and pinged Ed with it...

quote:
Hi again, all. I bring you Ed's response to Wooly Rupert, re. this: "It was suggested that I bring this idea to Ed...
Hypothetically speaking, what do you think would happen if a half-dragon descended from Thauglor popped up in Cormyr? If this half-dragon tried to make a claim on the throne, how would everyone (commoners, nobles, royals, Vangey) react? Even more, what if this half-dragon was descended from Thauglor on one side and Azoun IV on the other?
Or how about a descendant of Iliphar?"
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly. I have to be careful what I say here, due to two outstanding NDAs (which, yes, should lead everyone to suspect that this is a topic that has already been considered amongst Realms creatives). The short answer to all four of these queries is that reactions would be 'all over the map,' so to speak.
Vangey (or his successors) are primarily concerned with the stability of the Dragon Throne. HOW they will guard the throne depends on who it is doing the guarding (Vangey or Caladnei or . . .), what the situation is in the kingdom, and what events unfold.
There will always be nobles who will fiercely oppose any non-pureblood-human vying for the throne, and fight one who seizes it. Then again, there will always be nobles who seize on any pretender, potential usurper, or rival claimant to the current holder of the throne, and advance this challenge to the reigning monarch or regent, for reasons of personal gain, or to "reform" the realm, or for other reasons specific to them.
Individual Obarskyrs will have a wide variety of reactions to any rival/newcomer (but will tend to resist "bastards" in favor of the kin they know, except as pawns/allies against specific kin they hate or fear, because there are SO many bastards around already, and they would rather support and work with bastards they know well, and personally like. War Wizards and many senior-in-years nobles will react in the same way, and for the same reasons . . . but it's important to remember that there are no "class-wide" reactions to claimants, half-dragon or otherwise.
Or to put it another way, not all commoners will think X, all nobles think X or Y, and all royals think X or Y or Z. Everyone will react individually.
If any stereotypes about Cormyreans can be advanced, there will be general prejudices like this: we prefer humans we know, and know to be Cormyrean born and bred and resident, over humans who "come out of nowhere" or are known to have been far away from Cormyr for some time. We will prefer humans over non-humans (such as elves; many oldblood families, noble or common, believe "Cormyr" is a human land wrested from elves who should never be allowed to return to anything resembling power, locally) and we will prefer human-like, "civilized" non-humans (elves, halflings, gnomes, dwarves) over known-to-be-dangerous races (half-orcs, orcs and goblins, etc.), and those "evil folk" over "monstrous half-breeds" (shapechangers, lizardfolk-like half-dragons with scales and tails and other obvious "this ain't a human" features.
That isn't to say that certain nobles and wizards of Cormyr (including War Wizards) won't be fascinated by a half-dragon, and their potential power, or with elves of the lineage of Iliphar (and more than one such individual is known to exist, in Cormyr, though the Royal Court isn't certain of all of their identities or whereabouts) . . . but the general bulk of the populace is going to want a human king or queen, preferably of the House of Obarskyr or failing that bastard offspring of the traceable blood of the Obarskyrs or perhaps Baerauble, and failing that of one of the oldblood families (and at this point, of course, the fierce struggle over WHICH ruling family would erupt, probably into open civil war).
Yet Cormyr will always be a place where bastards and other throne claimants wait in the wings, supported by this or that cabal of nobles and watched by the War Wizards and various Crown agents.
A half-dragon claimant who can claim AND PROVE (to most who care) descent from both Thauglor and Azoun IV would have a stronger claim (and public support) than any other half-dragon, but by no means more than the scores to hundreds of human Cormyreans who can claim and prove Azoun IV's involvement in their ancestry, or Obarskyr blood from other monarchs (or princes, who at the time of the dalliances hadn't yet come to the throne).
In fact, what keeps Cormyr from erupting in civil strife often is the counterbalance between SO MANY possible (weak) claimants. Eliminate all fullblood Obarskyrs, and all of those claimants come into play, yes, but then it becomes a game of "who can stay alive?" among the claimants.
And remember: a half-dragon would probably still have a claim that was weaker in public support than, say, a certain ghazneth with the last name Cormaeril . . .

So saith Ed. Who has talked at great length with TSR and later WotC designers about such matters, I happen to know (because I eavesdrop shamelessly when it suits me to do so).
love,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  19:13:53  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have many questions, its just a matter of me organizing my thoughts to post them in a orderly manner so as to not to flood the forums with a quintillion questions all at once. I think the most pressing few for me right now would be how do you and the other authors come up with the varies elven names for people, clans, places, and objects. Is there some book or website that is used for this because all the names i see authors use are very cool looking while mine are like bleh, i've tried to look through the elven dictionary on the ck site but it doesnt contain alot of the words im always looking for and is really hard to locate stuff, not to mention again im really really bad at coming up with convincing elven names for the varies things so i've always been curious as to how this is done among the varies authors.

And for my second question would you have happened to have worked out the coat of arms for the varies elven clans (Nelnueves, Keoves, Alavara, Berethryl, Elian, Oeryl) in the oracle. Im trying to document as many of the elven coat of arms as i can.

Edited by - kysus on 18 Aug 2016 19:22:11
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  01:09:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have many questions, its just a matter of me organizing my thoughts to post them in a orderly manner so as to not to flood the forums with a quintillion questions all at once. I think the most pressing few for me right now would be how do you and the other authors come up with the varies elven names for people, clans, places, and objects. Is there some book or website that is used for this because all the names i see authors use are very cool looking while mine are like bleh, i've tried to look through the elven dictionary on the ck site but it doesnt contain alot of the words im always looking for and is really hard to locate stuff, not to mention again im really really bad at coming up with convincing elven names for the varies things so i've always been curious as to how this is done among the varies authors.

I don't think there's any science to it. I usually go with vowels and softer consonants for the start of a name and find that I incorprate lots of "Ls" and vowel combinations "AE" "IA" as I go. Just flip stuff around and it usually comes good.

quote:

And for my second question would you have happened to have worked out the coat of arms for the varies elven clans (Nelnueves, Keoves, Alavara, Berethryl, Elian, Oeryl) in the oracle. Im trying to document as many of the elven coat of arms as i can.

I have a dream where all my lore is backed up by JPGs of wizard sigils, coats of arms, etc. That dream is yet to find fruition. Give me a bit and I'll come up with some coats of arms for the various houses you mention.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  01:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kysus, I would be interested in seeing what you have of this project already. I'm currently working on something very much related to Elven culture at large (especially concerning Cormanthyr and it's elves) and wouldn't mind sharing any such resources. George, if you wouldn't mind sending me a copy of what you come up with as well, I would very much appreciate it.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  07:37:49  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant seem to find that article from Gencon. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  10:03:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I cant seem to find that article from Gencon. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

It's linked off of the front page of the site. I've also copied the link for you:

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/Lalya-Maurshanta.pdf

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  12:43:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is one tremendous piece of Realmslore...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  18:55:19  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading it. So far this looks like a superfluous clone of EV. With superfluous extra waving to Gold Elves and followers of Shevarash.
"Because you can never have too much redundancy, excessive redundancy, or overexuberant redundancy."

Oh, and also the baelnorn with phylactery.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  19:14:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's quite a difference between being generally xenophobic and wanting to have squatters off of your ancestral lands.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  19:33:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus it nicely ties up a lot of not good lore to do with cormyr and bonds it nicely to existing lore. I could now live with the idea of ghazneths, where as before i was happy to chuck them out with the trash.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  00:27:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Reading it. So far this looks like a superfluous clone of EV. With superfluous extra waving to Gold Elves and followers of Shevarash.
"Because you can never have too much redundancy, excessive redundancy, or overexuberant redundancy."

Oh, and also the baelnorn with phylactery.

Glad you liked it TBeholder.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  02:43:06  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, I hope life is treating you well. I was wondering about the Mage Royal of Impiltur Selarbrin. He took over when his great-uncle Calabrin passed, and that was in 1270 by Dale Reckoning. I'm just wondering what his story is since he's clearly over a hundred years old and it was said he didn't have the same talent with longevity magics that his great-uncle did. Is he a descendant of this Selarbrin? I've always been curious about him. What's his deal?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  13:18:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Hey George, I hope life is treating you well. I was wondering about the Mage Royal of Impiltur Selarbrin. He took over when his great-uncle Calabrin passed, and that was in 1270 by Dale Reckoning. I'm just wondering what his story is since he's clearly over a hundred years old and it was said he didn't have the same talent with longevity magics that his great-uncle did. Is he a descendant of this Selarbrin? I've always been curious about him. What's his deal?

Oh he had the talent, he just wasn't as close to Lashilmbrar as his great-uncle was. Calabrin and Lashilmbar were lovers and until a misfiring Potion of Longevity caused the demise of Calabrin, content to live together extending their lifespans by magic without caring too much for the succession. The death of Calabrin caused Lashilmbrar to re-assess that issue and not wanting his heir to be a scion of his (considered weak) brother Kuskur (little Thaum was a nasty piece of work even as a teenager) he clinically went about fathering two sons.

Selarbrin however was an issue for Lashilmbrar. Hand-picked, trained and fostered by Calabrin, Selarbrin looked very like his grand-uncle. Very like. Such that it pained Lashilmbrar to be near him - and this from an individual of iron self-control and unemotional mien whose inscrutability, lack of empathy and rational manner were notorious throughout the kingdom. As such, for the 24 years from Selarbrin's assumption of the post of Mage Royal to Lashilmbrar's death, their interactions were few and far between. Selarbrin focused on studying the writings of his predecessors, developing a stable of apprentices who would form the strong core of a vitalised Warwand after the accession of Rilimbrar and keeping out of the hair of a monarch who he felt did not hold him in high regard (quite the opposite actually, but Lashilmbrar chose to have little to do with him for his own selfish reasons).

Of course this lack of communication meant that Selarbrin was not functioning properly in his role as Aegis of the Throne (a title first bestowed on Velgarbrin by Imphras the Great and given to every Mage Royal afterward), which in turn led to the successful machinations of Thaum and the death of Lashilmbrar.

Selarbrin is a vital 141 year old and user of longevity magics to retain his wits and vitality. He realises that the time is swiftly approaching when he must name his successor, but of his descendants the two "prime" candidates - Helgarbrin and Nalgorbrin - are less than impressive in terms of everything but magical skill. He is holding out to be in a position to elevate his great-great grandson Velgarbrin (the name is auspicious) who at 15 years old shows excellent magical aptitude but importantly a wise head for his years and measured, serious personality. Selarbrin thinks another 15 years should do it but doesn't know that the Spellplague is around the corner.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  08:02:37  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely appreciate that you always give me more than specifically what I'm asking for. Considering that he's as old as he is, I'm sure he's seen some interesting things and learned secrets few others in the nation know. I've always been curious about this fella, thanks George.
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  12:08:44  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Georges

I am confuse on your new creation "The Lalya Maurshanta" on some dates :

"The catalyst for the formation of the Lalya
Maurshanta lies in the -75 DR death of Thatoryl
Elian, the betrothed of the elf maid Lorelei Alavara
at the hands of Andar Obarskyr. "

I though the first Obarsky came in this lands around 5 DR ?

and I found on the WIki :

5 DR

"Circa: Thatoryl Elian, an elven hunter, is murdered by Andar Obarskyr in the Wolf Woods. Thatoryl is the first elf in the region ever murdered by human hands and his betrothed, Lorelei Alavara, persuades Iliphar Nelnueve, Lord of Scepters, to help her take revenge against human settlers. Despite earning Iliphar's respect and alliance when he and Andar's brother Ondeth first meet, around 1000 humans are killed by elven hands over the next century before the elves grow tired of Lorelei's warmongering and banish her to the Stonelands.[citation needed]"

Which one is the good one ? :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  10:29:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wiki is wrong and doesn't follow the history set out in "Cormyr: A Novel" (Chapter 4) which gives a -75 DR date for the death of Thatoryl Elian.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  04:57:57  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Is your Jergal article still available anywhere? The Realms Secretariat site seems to be undergoing a slow rehaul and I can't find the write-up. If I recall correctly, you linked Jergal with the pyramids of Ascore, and I was hoping to incorporate that information into the Ascore entry for my "Cyclopaedia of the North" that will accompany my latest map.

Thanks as always!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  00:02:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Hi George,

Is your Jergal article still available anywhere? The Realms Secretariat site seems to be undergoing a slow rehaul and I can't find the write-up. If I recall correctly, you linked Jergal with the pyramids of Ascore, and I was hoping to incorporate that information into the Ascore entry for my "Cyclopaedia of the North" that will accompany my latest map.

Thanks as always!

The site was working the other day but may be being revamped at the moment. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  05:10:21  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, I hope the holidays treated you and yours well.
I've been reading about the sinking of Nadyra's Glory and I was curious of a couple things. Firstly and most importantly, it was written that Aliiya's bridal ship was absolutely laden with her dowry of Impilturan treasures and intended to hug the coast from Hlammach to at least Lyrabar and then sail to Suzail. It obviously didn't make it, but that's a fairly long voyage and I've never read any mention of an honor guard or any other sort of fleet traveling along with her. I don't know much about the fluctuating might of the pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars, but it seems to me that if Nadyra's Glory did set sail on her own it would be a very tempting target for everyone from pirates to other nations. If she did have a honor guard, why didn't they report the approximate location of the wreck, or did they go down as well? I know why and how the ship went down, but I guess I'm just curious to see if there's more to the story.
Also, it was mentioned that the ship had, besides the gold and gems, large amounts of jewelry and magic items. Were there any storied pieces of either you could tell us about besides the Coronation Crowns and the Greatsword? I enjoy the flavor text and histories of these items and events, and you have a way of tying them to regions making them fuller and more realistic.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  10:59:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lukas

Nadyra's Glory did indeed have an escort of two fighting ships - Halanter's Pride and Beldred's Triumph - but after a short docking stay in Lyrabar, members of the crew of each ship were struck down with plague (the work of Soneillon's agents) and they could not leave with the princess' ship. She was on a tight schedule to get to Suzail for her wedding (and coronation) and the decision was made to let Nadyra's Glory travel on alone for a time before new crews were hurriedly raised for the escorts. Nadyra's Glory was expected to dock at Tsurlagol for a few nights and so it was expected that the escorts would catch up with her with little difficulty after the new crews were aboard. As we know, it didn't quite turn out that way.

As for other treasures on the boat, Eric Boyd did a wonderful job of detailing the crowns and the Greatsword of Impiltur in "Champions of Ruin". I've never turned my mind to what else was on the ship as Impiltur has lost so much regalia over the centuries, it's hard to keep track. Why, you would think that one day someone might actually do a write-up of those various items, now scattered to the winds ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000