Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  04:48:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well as George appears to be busy here is my answer (with a bit of my own fluff).

So the Rengarth and Angarth are Ulou people.

He has been busy indeed.

Why do they have to be Ulou and travel vast distances to stop in a place that is no different from their homeland? Why can't they just be indigenous to the area?

-- George Krashos

Thats was my thought as well.

A LONG time ago I had connected the eastern and western people in cromagnum-like group called 'the Cortai people' (like 'the Clovis people' RW), and this group split, with half staying in the west (Faerūn) and the other group traveling east, into Kara-Tur. Some of this was based on stuff in Brian James' original GHotR, but he referred to them as 'Pozi' (the group that split). I called the two groups the Issa-Cortae (Issacortae IS a canon native group to northern K-T), and the Illu-Cortae.

later, however, I learned that the Illuskans/Northmen were NOT indigenous to The North, so I dropped that line of reasoning, and I think BJ did much the same with his stuff in the GHotR, when the canon version came out. That Cortai/Pozi group would have been forerunners to many of our early groups in canon (like the Talfir, and Tethyrians). At some point I grew very fond of a new theory - that a lot of the early peoles in Faerūn were part of a 'lost group abducted by the Imaskari I dubbed the 'Dathtes' (because I REALLY hate that an ethnic group has the same name as a national group - "Chondathans from Chessenta" just sounds wrong to me). so this interloper Dathites took the place of those 'cave men' in my early musings, but serve the same purpose - to have one group from which all others sprang.

I no longer think any of that matters as much as I used to. Too many interlopers over the years, from other worlds and other continents, to really boil-down exact proto-groups.

At the end of the day, just apply Occam's Razor. If they are in an area, and you have nothing actually connecting them to anything else, why over-complicate matters? Thats where they're from. I think the other barbarians that the Uthgart absorbed were of many different backgrounds, probably even a bit of Turami. There have been mass exodus' over the years of people fleeing one disaster or another from every corner of Toril.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Feb 2017 04:54:22
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  07:01:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill have to check my sources for the answer but im sure i read that the rengarth arrived in the area (therefore cant be indigenous). They have similar physical characteristics to othe Ulou. And possibly in Tom Costas language article there was Ulou involved somewhere. And lastly i think the Ice Hunter tribes were Ulou as well so that group already travelled across the world to get to someplace similar so leaving a few groups behind along the way seems normal.

Ill see what i can find

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  21:07:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it now. It was Tom Costa's article on languages in dragon annual 1999.

It placed Rengardt as a Low Ulutim language in the Ulou family.

Netherese was also in the Ulou family.

Ice Hunter also spoke Uluik which was in the Ulou family.

It made sense to me that given the Rengarth had much in common physically with the Ice Hunters and other Ulou speakers (black hair brown eyes swarty stature) and much in common socially (barbarian people with animal totem worship and a lack of reliance on magic) that they be related.

The Ulou people travelled west in several waves I think. In so doing the Ulou language was spread across the north of Faerun. Rengarth were just one group.

The Netherese I think was in the Ulou language because of the mingling of the netherese people with the Rengarth to create the Low Netherese that made up the bulk of Netheril (people mingling over 3000 years is more than enough time for this to occur - it happened in England in a few centuries).

I could be wrong but all the pieces pointed towards the Rengarth being Ulou and therefore migrants so I went with it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  23:44:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I love that article, it has a few problems, especially in regards to the fact that newer lore came out (in 3e) that messed some of that up. Still, he did an insanely good job for what he had to work with (offhand mentions of languages in a hundred+ sources).

Even Greyhawk, as 'bare bones' as it was, handled languages better (they even had one of those nifty historic maps that showed migrations of early peoples - something we've always lacked).

My 'fix' by way of fixiness (thats officially a word now):
Take the article as something written by a Candlekeep sage (Yes, I know, nothing original about that take at all). But the devil's in the details - Rengardt IS related to Ulou, as is Netherese, but NOT because those groups are 'Eastern' (our Asian), but because all those groups hail from the same region originally. Netherese and Rengarth are already connected by blood - they're all Gur, that came from the Gur/Kalmyk/Suren Lands (similar to our RW northern slavic/Cossack groups).

Now, the entry in the GHotR about where the Uliutians (which I agree are closely related to the Ice hunters) came from is based on this bit from pg.93 of bk.I of the K-T box -
quote:
After battling a bakemono horde at the Hill of Namaskar, Queen Triala of the Tayamulchi decided that her homeland was no longer safe. Guided by a divinely-inspired vision, or so she claimed, her people would leave in search of a new land. It would be a rich land where the reindeer would thrive, where the streams are almost choked with salmon, where the winters are mild and in summer the forest overflows with nourishment.
The clans elected to follow her vision; it provided more hope than what was promised by the wolfish tribes that surrounded them in the Ama Basin. Therefore they journeyed north, vengefully razing some
humanoid territory on the way, into the Land of Snow Demons.

The Issacortae do not appear 'as Asian' (walking on eggs here...) as other K-T peoples, and that - and the fact that their tribal organizations sound far more Eurpoean/Celtic - is one of the big things that made me even try connecting the east and west. The Issacortae are native to the Ama basin, which happens to fall out right alongside the Gur lands, and both fall within the ancient boundaries of the Kalmyk empire (BTW, there's tons more history about that empire and its leaders in Horselords, which come to Yamun Khahan in dreams). So, both the predecessors of the Uliutians(sp?) and the predecessors of the Netherese/Rengarth came from the same general area.

So can they understand each other? Maybe a tiny bit. About as close as South American Spanish dialects and French (which are both rooted in Latin, AGES ago). So connected, but through so many different groups and displacements they'd barely be recognizable to each other.

Now, we might go a bit further and theorize that that proto-laguage was closely associated with Imaskari, but in my own HB musings, I have it where it is closer to Anoguel, the language of the Anoque, an interloper-group that came to the lands of Imaskar during their height, and controlled the eastern portion of the empire (which later fragmented). Anoque had red hair - ranging from brownish to strawberry blond, were very tall (taller then the Imaskari, and WAY taller than the indigenous eastern Haltai peoples - what we call 'Shou' today, but modern Shou are actually a mix of sevral Kara-Turran ethnicities), have very large, 'almond' eyes, much like and elf's, and had a very different type of magic than the Imaskari (more nature/spirit based - Anoque are actually a group of spirit folk, but intermixed for so many generations that they are their own distinct group by the time they arrive on Toril).

I created that group to explain-away a BUNCH of stuff (think of them as a rug I was able to sweep stuff under). Most of the K-T aristocracy are very tall - unlike the peasants - and tend toward reddish hair in several provinces (that parts canon - if you trace the hair coloring across the provinces as I did, it moves from the Imaskar border directly toward the capital, 'lessening' in intensity as it travels east, indicating a slow admixture of native bloodlines over time, as Anok-Imaskar became Shou-Lung). It also helps with the differences in magical traditions we see in several Imaskar survivor-states. K-T canon does say that the shou came 'from elsewhere', following a celestial dragon to a 'new world', so my 'fudgery' allows us to take into account for that as well, and still leave us several indigenous K-T groups that already existed in the east, before the arrival of the Shou (which simply translates as 'followers').

So, ummm... yeah. That was longer than i meant it to be. But if there is any one, single proto-language for this conundrum you mention, its that it came from these interlopers originally (Imaskar DID rule over all those lands and peoples at one time or another).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Feb 2017 23:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  23:51:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And bear in mind that the northern portion of Toril - from 'The North' through the Moonsea region, Bloodstone Lands, The wastes, and on into the Ama Basin - is MUCH closer than it actually appears on a flat map. We are talking about a language that was just popular around 'the top of the world' a few thousand years ago. Look up 'Arctic Ethnic groups' and you'll read how they're all interrelated RW, and apply that to Toril's past - just like that (Thule people, who were proto-Eskimos).

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  14:20:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant say i ever had a problem with tom costad article. Where it differs from other lore i found it could be easily accounted for by the passage of time.
Langauges change a lot in 1000 years.

Netherese are different enough for me to be from a different racial stock. What that stock is i dont really mind. They use the draconic alphabet so i go with the idea that they were brought to the anauroch basin by a dragon (which they served for a time).

The different alphabet, different lifestyles (netherese were fishermen while rengarth were hunter gatherers), and the differing attitudes and aptitudes to magic led me to the conclusion that they arent of the same people.

I dont see a need to connect the two. What lore we have of the netherese is all after the netherese and rengarth mixed so there is no real way of knowing where the netherese came from so i dont see a need to dwell on it.

But all the evidence we have about rengarth points to Ulou origin. And as ice hunter also appear to be Ulou then it looks like that group of people migrated from the far north east to the far north west. I dont know why but im going to say it was to escape something nasty that may have followed them to the great glacier at least.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  21:49:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms of the Dragon short story anthologies point to a huge, undetailed part of FR history relating to the Time of Dragons where great wyrms ruled Realms and subjugated local humans and elves (and likely all other races as well - save where they saw them only as food). Both metallic and chromatic dragons did this and I've always thought that the Netherese and their innate talent for the Art was as a result of being descended from just such a situation.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  23:06:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im heading that way as well and the hints in The Ride area look like a good place to have the netherese serving such dragons (im sure ive read about a human civilisation there probably in the citadel of the raven) before heading into the Anauroch Basin.

Its the simplest way to explain the draconic alphabet

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  16:41:55  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So my language article was hopefully as accurate as it could have been when it got published (including referencing Eric Boyd's notes on migration patterns), but you all are right that subsequent lore messed a bit with what I had done. Sean Reynolds thought my article was too detailed for a fantasy world, so he simplified it quite a bit for 3E. In many respects, I totally agree with him, at least from a gaming perspective. Then 4E messed with a bit more and now in 5E, some bits have resurfaced. I think its a bit weird, but I haven't had the wherewithal to go back and try to suss it all out.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  17:16:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont see a need to redo it. Its perfect as it is.

Yes they need a lighter version for olayers but that should not make the lore incorrect. FR is great because of its depth. It just needed to be more accessible rather being hacked to pieces.

I use your article as the basis for all migration patterns. Languages change a lot over a millennia and i use that as the reasoning for discrepancies between that and 3e lore.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  17:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D can have a thousand skills, spells, monsters, prestige classes, etc..., but when it comes to fleshing out languages we need something simple?

This is the part where I roll my eyes at Sean Reynolds' comment, and continue referencing your excellent article Tom.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  18:26:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I respect the hell out of SKR; he's done some damn good stuff, and I very much went all fanboi on him when I met him at GenCon last year (he handed me a book I'd pre-ordered at the Monte Cook Games booth). That said, I've disagreed with some of his ideas more than once, and I don't think that language is a place where thing should be simplified.

Except for the way all D&D characters seem to be linguistic masters and know like 4 or 5 languages right off the bat. That's long seemed odd to me, though it could be because we 'Muricans () only speak one language, and a lot of us are pretty bad at that one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  18:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2-3 languages are norm in europe. Also take in that lot of those characters have above average inteligence (that is why they have those bonus languages) or they learned them instead of other skills/proficiencies. You are also probably cosidering racial languages and common.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  20:03:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

2-3 languages are norm in europe. Also take in that lot of those characters have above average inteligence (that is why they have those bonus languages) or they learned them instead of other skills/proficiencies. You are also probably cosidering racial languages and common.

But the flipside is that unless a character grows up in a major city, they're not going to have any access to those other languages... If your character is a former farmboy, and never saw anyone that wasn't human before leaving the farm, what are the odds that he knows how to speak, read and write in drow, elven, and infernal?

That's the weirdness, for me: regardless of background, everyone and their third cousin is multilingual, and are often fluent in languages they shouldn't have ever even heard.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  16:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is up to DM to look over such nonsense. I deal with it by giving those languages as potential if it make no sense at the time so character can pick up some languages on the road. Player is not disadvantaged and it make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  09:22:12  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, I hope things are well. So I feel like I've seen this mentioned somewhere (I didn't find it though), but I've been curious about Sarshel the True. Near as I can tell he's human, which would put him in his early/mid-70s when he led the crusade and fought Ndulu. I'm just wondering what his whole deal is; what was he up to before he took up crusading? I pretty sure he's not home-grown Impilturan (I want to say Tethyr), and at 70ish he'd had to have been involved in many things before he became king of a nation that isn't his home.
How is it he maintains his physical prowess into such an advanced age? Does it have to do with being a paladin, or is he both naturally gifted and vigilant with his fitness a la Barristan the Bold?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  02:25:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Hey George, I hope things are well. So I feel like I've seen this mentioned somewhere (I didn't find it though), but I've been curious about Sarshel the True. Near as I can tell he's human, which would put him in his early/mid-70s when he led the crusade and fought Ndulu. I'm just wondering what his whole deal is; what was he up to before he took up crusading? I pretty sure he's not home-grown Impilturan (I want to say Tethyr), and at 70ish he'd had to have been involved in many things before he became king of a nation that isn't his home.
How is it he maintains his physical prowess into such an advanced age? Does it have to do with being a paladin, or is he both naturally gifted and vigilant with his fitness a la Barristan the Bold?

Well, the answer is pretty straightforward: Sarshel was one of the Racked. The Racked were paladins and priests of Ilmater that received special blessings and favors because it was "needful" from the point of view of that deity, usually in the context of some great quest, war or task. The Racked retained their vigor and strength (in effect immune to the effects of aging) well into their advanced years, but still "felt" all of those effects. In other words, Sarshel still had the strength and stamina of his youth, but it hurt like hell. Once Sarshel had completed his great task - the defeat of the Scaled Horde in the Fiend Wars - he lost his Racked status and swiftly succumbed to a host of age-related maladies, living on for only two more, painful years.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  20:21:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Well, the answer is pretty straightforward: Sarshel was one of the Racked. The Racked were paladins and priests of Ilmater that received special blessings and favors because it was "needful" from the point of view of that deity, usually in the context of some great quest, war or task. The Racked retained their vigor and strength (in effect immune to the effects of aging) well into their advanced years, but still "felt" all of those effects. In other words, Sarshel still had the strength and stamina of his youth, but it hurt like hell. Once Sarshel had completed his great task - the defeat of the Scaled Horde in the Fiend Wars - he lost his Racked status and swiftly succumbed to a host of age-related maladies, living on for only two more, painful years.

-- George Krashos

George, I'm gonna applaud that invention... the Racked... I like that idea and it so fits Ilmater. What better way to represent someone who "suffers so that others won't" than to have this guy feeling all the pain of being old and still going on to stop what he sees as being a problem for his people. He even pounded out a kid at 55 (that poor young girl :-) ), because well... he could. You know, I'd pretty much convinced myself that if I were in the realms the red knight would be my goddess, but now I'm wondering.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  22:07:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably already aware of this, but while looking for something (in a non-OCR book... UGH!) I came across an entry in SotM about Malanthus Stormstaern, and its says he had a keep somewhere around the headwaters of the Fire River in the Earthfast Mountains.

That would put his buried (by an avalanche) Keep very close to - if not right beneath - the Citadel of Conjurers.
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

George, I'm gonna applaud that invention... the Racked... I like that idea and it so fits Ilmater. What better way to represent someone who "suffers so that others won't" than to have this guy feeling all the pain of being old and still going on to stop what he sees as being a problem for his people. He even pounded out a kid at 55 (that poor young girl :-) ), because well... he could. You know, I'd pretty much convinced myself that if I were in the realms the red knight would be my goddess, but now I'm wondering.
AHEM...

I'll have you know I'm 53, going on 54, and although I may not have the stamina of my youth, I still have much of my strength. The 'young girl' as you put it would feel blessed, believe you me.

Weird that this came up - my youngest turns 16 this year, and I've been considering getting remarried and having a couple more kids. I just don't know who the lucky woman I want to 'bless' is yet.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Apr 2017 22:18:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2017 :  01:55:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You're probably already aware of this, but while looking for something (in a non-OCR book... UGH!) I came across an entry in SotM about Malanthus Stormstaern, and its says he had a keep somewhere around the headwaters of the Fire River in the Earthfast Mountains.

That would put his buried (by an avalanche) Keep very close to - if not right beneath - the Citadel of Conjurers.

Aware indeed. Track down my dragon write up of Ouranalathra "the Mistmaiden" to see what I did with that reference.

Not very close. Closish geographically but there is no direct travel path between the two sites unless you are an expert mountaineer or can fly.

-- George Krashos

P.S. More kids?!? I admire your courage.

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Apr 2017 01:55:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2017 :  02:11:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

P.S. More kids?!? I admire your courage.

I've thought about it before, but I have to make sure I would be doing it for the right reasons.

I would also have to find the PERFECT person if I were ever to consider sharing my life with someone again, and since that is highly unlikely (especially at my age), right now its just a mental exercise, nothing more.

Having four boys, though, and seeing pictures of other people's beautiful daughters, I can't help but feel I missed something special, not have a 'daddy's girl'. On the other hand, I also see what my friends have gone through when their daughters became teenagers.

I have nieces... I'll probably continue to make do with that.

Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  23:02:47  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G-Kimmel,

Not to derail any ongoing thread here, but was wondering if you're still planning on making Gen Con this year? Not only is it celebrating 30 years of Gray Box goodness, but it's also 50 years old itself! It's looking very good for me to attend as my work schedule has lined up to allow me to try to attend in many many years, and it would be my first. Would be cool to see ya if you could make it. I'm sure it'll be something not to miss. Too bad Ed can't attend, but that is understandable. His imprint is always there.

Take Care,
R....
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2017 :  04:55:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rivenhelm

G-Kimmel,

Not to derail any ongoing thread here, but was wondering if you're still planning on making Gen Con this year? Not only is it celebrating 30 years of Gray Box goodness, but it's also 50 years old itself! It's looking very good for me to attend as my work schedule has lined up to allow me to try to attend in many many years, and it would be my first. Would be cool to see ya if you could make it. I'm sure it'll be something not to miss. Too bad Ed can't attend, but that is understandable. His imprint is always there.

Take Care,
R....

Unfortunately other people's travel plans have torpedoed my ability to get to GEN-CON this year. I'm unhappy about it as the milestones are significant, but alas it's not to be. I should be able to get there next year, but as with all such things it will depend on a range of factors. Thanks for sending a thought my way!

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 May 2017 05:59:34
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2017 :  13:06:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

AHEM...

I'll have you know I'm 53, going on 54, and although I may not have the stamina of my youth, I still have much of my strength. The 'young girl' as you put it would feel blessed, believe you me.

Weird that this came up - my youngest turns 16 this year, and I've been considering getting remarried and having a couple more kids. I just don't know who the lucky woman I want to 'bless' is yet.

Lol, Mark, good luck with that. I'm almost 46 and my gf has an 8 year old. The idea of raising anything approaching another child is out the window.

Sidenote: my head must be groggy? SotM.... the only thing coming to me is Sword of the Morning, which is Game of Thrones. What's that about? Oh, and good find on the entry. It would well fit the Citadel of the Conjurers if there was some kind of elementalist type near there.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2017 :  06:02:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sidenote: my head must be groggy? SotM.... the only thing coming to me is Sword of the Morning, which is Game of Thrones. What's that about? Oh, and good find on the entry. It would well fit the Citadel of the Conjurers if there was some kind of elementalist type near there.

Secrets of the Magister.

Oh, and I'm 47 and have a 7 year old. It's lots of fun as she is unashamedly daddy's princess. I might have gone again - have 3 - in my early 40s but likely not now.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2017 :  13:04:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Secrets of the Magister.

Oh, and I'm 47 and have a 7 year old. It's lots of fun as she is unashamedly daddy's princess. I might have gone again - have 3 - in my early 40s but likely not now.

-- George Krashos

Secrets of the Magister... damn, been a LONG time since I've looked at that, but it was a good product for its time. Thanks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2017 :  06:33:35  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about that George!! I know you were looking forward to attending. Would have been cool to meet ya and chat, but things happen. I'm still not entirely sure I'll make it myself! Hope all is well with you, and that it's not something serious preventing you from going.

Take care,
R...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  09:56:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

A rather in depth question im afraid inspired by my reading of a real world history book and trying to figure out how the governments of realms nations work.

This question is regarding the nobility and its relationship with royalty. Ill begin with the real world parallel first (i know that we shouldnt draw direct parallels, im just trying to figure out the why of realmsian government).

So in medieval times the king rules because he has divine right and its evil to fight against your king. Take that out of the equation and the reason nobles support the monarch is because that monarch gives them power and office to gather monies on his behalf and other duties that only landed nobility can perform.

That is all fine but what happens when you have a weak or unpopular monarch. Why arent there more rebellions.
First thought is the large standing army. However the monarch being in control of a standing army has been universally unpopular in all countries throughout medieval history because it is seen as tyranny and grants the monarch to much power.

This large army is present in cormyr and the anti monarch sentiment is kept in check by powerful royal blooded nobility as well as by the mage royal.

So what is it in impiltur that prevents more uprisings and rebellions during weak monarchs (such as now with a child king).

Also if you are developing Damara will it be having a royal army or will it be a more traditional feudal nation (which is surprisingly lacking in the realms)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  15:04:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what is it with Impiltur that prevents more uprisings and rebellions during weak monarchs (such as now with a child king)?

Good question. As you've noted, Impiltur doesn't have a large army, a phenomenon which dates back to the time of King Lashilmbrar who was a paranoid sort and didn't want any potential weapon available to his (perceived) foes to use against him. A pure military takeover of the realm would be difficult, simply because of the kingdom's geography and the fact that the standing army is spread widely throughout the kingdom. Separated into three groupings, you would have to subvert all three at the same time to control the kingdom in totality - a very difficult task indeed.

So rebellion. Impiltur has had its fair share through the ages. Even in recent history we have the mini-revolt of Ilmara's consort Rilaun and the much more significant actions of the "Traitor Prince" Thaum of Telflamm. The establishment of the Lords of Imphras II and the Order of the Shrike has brought significant order and internal security to the realm since the accession of King Rilimbrar. The Lords are active within many levels of authority, keep a tight rein on the Constables and Heralds who do the local governing, and remain ever-vigilant in terms of any threats to the realm, external and internal.

Then of course, there are the Crownstars. Essentially the "secret police" of the kingdom, the Crownstars operate widely and afford the throne significant ongoing intelligence regarding what is happening in the kingdom, even in its farflung reaches.

Outside the authority of the Crown we have a group of nobles - old blood and new blood - who are not disaffected. Many of the new blood families have ties of blood and service with the Heltharns, while the old blood families understand that many of their familial origins are rooted in devastating events in the realm's history (the Fiend Wars, the Kingless Years, etc.) which wiped out as many families as were later elevated. A strong monarchy is a shield against such happenings in the future and they know all too well that the kingdom continues to face many perils. The lurking threat of demonic activity is an age-old bugbear that unifies the citizens of Impiltur, royal, noble and commoner alike and that coupled with the ever-present threat of the hobgoblins in the northern mountains make folk of power think twice about inciting revolt and rebellion.

The demise of several boy kings and the longer than expected rule of the Queen-Regent Sambryl has set tongues wagging over the decades as well as spun more than a few plots, but there is no feeling in the kingdom generally that the Heltharns are stale or ineffective rulers. The issues regarding the succession have only reinforced to the general populace that the realm is beset by foes and that only unity and common purpose can see them endure. This ties in with the teachings of the Triad which as the quasi-state religion indoctrinates much of the population in terms of its thinking on most topics from day to day.

So, basically, the significant majority of the folk of Impiltur regard the monarchy positively and are not of the view that a change in "who rules" will benefit the kingdom and them, more importantly. That's not to say that there aren't disaffected nobles, traitors and rebels within Impiltur, but the reality is that there is little prospect of them doing any lasting or permanent change to the power structure of the kingdom.

As for Damara, the politics of that place are well set out in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands. How King Gareth has managed to consolidate and unify the disparate factions and groups of his kingdom says much about his diplomatic skills and his ability to bring people together. I see Damara as very reliant on King Gareth - with him gone, I can see the realm destabilising swiftly unless another charismatic, strong leader can emerge quickly. I see Damara's army as more feudal initially but with Gareth setting up a system akin to the gendarmes d'ordonnance of medieval France where troops were raised by company commanders personally loyal to the king. This creates a parallel authority structure to that of the nobility and gives the monarchy exclusive control of the realm's military.

I hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Jul 2017 15:06:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  16:10:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always an excellent and well conceived answer, and im glad that it boils down to the timing is not right. If it were a different king who was much maligned and weaker then rebellion is possible (as it always should). I had thought impiltur had a large army but that was probanly just my misconception. Looking forward to finding out more about the crownstars and who they serve (the lords or the king and how that has changed over the years).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page