Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3E players' sourcebooks VS 2E players' handbook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  15:52:54  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Reading Prestige Class Vs Core Class topic i had the idea of this one.
I am a litlle bit disappointed with the T&B, S&F, ... books. They give too much new feats/PrC/... and not enough INFORMATIONS about different role playing types according to the different classes. On the contrary i loved the old Complete class Handbooks.
In december will be released "The Complete Fighter", which i hope will be more focused on that type of book. (By the way, why is it always the figther first!!!)
What's your point of view?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  16:02:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thoroughly enjoyed the 2e Complete [Class] Handbook series. I still have all of them, and except for the stats and class kits, I still find most of the material to be of some relevance. I draw heavily (still) from the Wizard's and Bard's Handbook (that last one, mainly in regard with the large amount of Loremaster material presented). In fact I hand out these tomes to all new players in my campaigns so they can 'get-a-feel' for the class so to speak.

I do the same with the Complete Book of [Race] tomes as well. I would be hard pressed to find any better material on the general D&D races than these guides, well...except for most of the 3e FR race material. That is pretty good.

The third party race books have been a real let down. I purchased the Guidebook to Orcs from Mongoose Publishing several months ago, and I can say that that tome was probably the most worthless piece of gaming material I had ever purchased. For a race book, the whole thing seemed to be filled more with stats and crunch than with actual racial background material on the character race as a whole.

Anyway, that's enough for now .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  17:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

(By the way, why is it always the figther first!!!)

I have often thought the same thing. It seems they could come out with stuff for a more complex class first, to give them more time to incorporate the information.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  18:49:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think both the PHBR series and the 3E splatbooks are the kind of bloat that shortened the publishing lifecycle of both systems. The source material in the PHBRs would have been much more useful if it had been tied to a campaign world: the Realms, Greyhawk, whatever. As well, a lot of problems were caused by people assuming that books such as PHBR8 The Complete Book of Elves -- whose author Colin McComb has apologized for it -- applied straightforwardly to the Realms, which they don't.

A Realms book on adventurers -- with information on adventuring companies, the culture and emotional dynamics of adventuring, Realmsian warriors and priests and mages and clerics and druids and bards -- would be great. We won't get one, which is another reason Realms sourcebooks need to be licensed to another company.

I do recommend the Mongoose Slayer's Guides to Dragons, and Undead, by Gary Gygax and Jon Creffield; the undead one gels better with the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  04:21:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh!!!...the Slayer's Guides...the bane of my DM existence. Seriously though, I have found these tomes to be of little use, well except for the afore mentioned Slayer's Guide to Dragons, but the rest were poorly done, and handle the races in an almost comic fashion. The 'Guide to Orcs', was the worst.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  06:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have The Complete Wizard's Handbook in a Word file. I downloaded it and got confused very quickly -- then I realized it was second edition, and my confusion was in trying to match it up with my 3e PHB.

I think I'll go back and take another look at it, though.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  08:18:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to know what you think about that specific tome Bookwyrm. Be sure to let us know.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  08:24:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I am curious...how did you ever get the 'CWHB' in word format?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  09:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Artalis gave me a copy. But I thought I had downloaded it beforehand from the Wizards website. I guess that I didn't, if you're surprised I have it.

I also have the Books for the bard, druid, fighter, paladin, priest, ranger, and thief classes, all in Word format as well. Same with the Handbooks for dwarves, elves, and gnomes and halflings.

In PDF, I have The Complete Book of Necromancers, The Complete Manual of the Drow, and the Ninja and Psionics Handbooks, plus another that's just called Shaman.

I also have some netbooks on classes and kits, half-elves, herbs, hygeine, infravision, and some others. (All fan-created stuff I downloaded.)

And no, I haven't read all of these. I haven't even read all of my 3e stuff yet!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:25:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have all those 2e netbooks as well. There was some great material in those.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the old 2nd edition Complete [class\race] Handbook. They are among my all time favorite 2nd edition products.

I recommend the Quintessential series published by Moongoose Publishing. They even look the same as the old AD%D PHBR's An excellent series and very well detailed, im slowly working through purchasing this collection.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:45:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really???. I have never found much use for these tomes, except as suggestion material for NPC's sometimes. What specifically do you like about them Rad?.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  20:08:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been wary of Mongoose's Quintessential series. I am not sure if they serve a purpose yet. I buy the slayers guides for entertainment value, but htat is almost it. SOmetimes it has good information.

The 2e complete guides are loaded with valuable information and I do indeed use them for some of the 3e stuff. THough thank you sage! I never thought of using the Bard book for the Loremaster. So much for me thinking outside of the box. But the race books are great, and the complete humanoids book was incredible. I never bought the dwarf one though. Even though KITS are not used anymore, I have found some that would make great prestige classes, and other Kits that make great character concepts (no game crunch, just a theme).

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  02:54:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the 'Dwarf' race book to be one of the best. Granted I only used it for my Dragonlance campaigns, but the information contained within really gave me an insight into the dwarven race, that is, until I purchased Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  09:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Really???. I have never found much use for these tomes, except as suggestion material for NPC's sometimes. What specifically do you like about them Rad?.

I just find them very useful in the way that most aspects of the particular race\class are covered...prestige classes, extra feats, equipment etc. I just love dedicated supplements like that.... suppose with the disappointment of the WotC 3rd edition collaborations like Sword and Fist then it made the Moongoose publications all the brighter

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  10:12:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never really looked at it like that...hmm, you may be right. Can I ask which books you have from this series, so that I can at least make a comparison?.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I have never really looked at it like that...hmm, you may be right. Can I ask which books you have from this series, so that I can at least make a comparison?.

So far I only have:

Elves
Barbarian
Witch
Rogue
Bard
Druid

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:35:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. What's the Elf book like?.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  18:35:08  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Amazon book. And I have the centaur and Gnoll as well as the Yuan ti. Don't forget the guide to female gamers. Hilarious.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:23:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
Don't forget the guide to female gamers. Hilarious.

Actually I do have a copy of that one, and you're right it is hilarious. It presents a rather slim view of the female gamer though. Although I did like the PrC descriptions, especially the last one, but I cannot remember it's name.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2003 02:23:51
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  05:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, Artalis gave me a copy. But I thought I had downloaded it beforehand from the Wizards website. I guess that I didn't, if you're surprised I have it.

Artalis likely pulled this off the expansion to the 2e Core Rules CD. All the books were included there in rich text files(.rtfs).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000