Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  00:32:25  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

Oh really? Huh - talk about your odd coincidences! My campaign's 'today' date is presently the 13th day of Flamerule (aka July), 1371. Small (fantasy) world. Maybe I need to take a serious look at having a Liriel cameo sometime soon. Lol.

Thanks again for all the information!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  22:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Thank you Elaine and woolly. I was looking for copy on the kindle store and it's not available there

Yes, oddly enough the book is available in audio format (Nifty aside: The narrator sang the melody I wrote to the ballad Danilo's singing sword belts out in Elfshadow) but not as an ebook. If they DO publish the book in ebook form, I'm hoping they'll include the story or two that were left out because they'd been recently published elsewhere, such as "Gorlist's Dragon." I'd be interested in writing a new short story or two for the ebook format to make it more attractive to FR readers.

That would be great, I tend to buy only ebook formats now.

And elaine this was my intro to you as an author, you got my attentions pretty good if they released the ebook as is i would get it.

;)

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

astolfo
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  01:52:34  Show Profile Send astolfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,
A quick question: in any forthcoming novel or book with 5th ed. FR, are answers going to be forthcoming to the fate of the Moonflower royal family and/or their descendants?
I've always enjoyed your work, thank you for sharing with all of us!
Astolfo
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  06:30:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would lay odds against Elaine being able to answer... As a freelancer, they likely wouldn't consult her or advise her on such matters unless she was working on something for them, and it would likely then be covered under an NDA.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

astolfo
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2014 :  03:12:28  Show Profile Send astolfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  20:38:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Astolfo.

Woolly is right--I'm not currently involved with the Realms and have no idea what direction the folks at WotC might be considering for the royal family. And as Woolly mentioned, I would not be able to go into detail if I *did* know.

Wish I could have been more helpful!

Best,
ec

quote:
Originally posted by astolfo

Hi Elaine,
A quick question: in any forthcoming novel or book with 5th ed. FR, are answers going to be forthcoming to the fate of the Moonflower royal family and/or their descendants?
I've always enjoyed your work, thank you for sharing with all of us!
Astolfo

Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  17:08:19  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine. I have recently read several of your novels centered around Waterdeep including City of Splendors. Loved them all. The Songs and Shadows series hooked me on the Forgotten Realms. I have since bought all the Campaign material I could find on Waterdeep. I also loved your intro in the campaign boxed set of Waterdeep. I was wondering about the character of Madeiron Sunderstone and what does it mean to be the Open Lord's champion. As Piergeiron's Champion, how much time does he spend by his side and do his duties ever require him elsewhere from the Open Lord? Piergeiron has appeared in several of your novels but I think City of Splendors is the only one where we actually see him with Piergeiron(I could be wrong about this) and the just for one sequence in the story.

Is he very active in the happenings of the City? He is a paladin and must be wise and is stated as fearless and I was wondering how that meshes with him not being especially bright? Do the other Lords or would Danillo or Arilyn look down on his intellect? Would he garner any respect from someone like Elaith Craulnober? How do Texter or the other notable Paladins of Waterdeep view him. What is his personality like? Nobility and royalty seem to be held in high regard in Waterdeep, does Madeiron himself or any of his friends acknowledge his blood ties to the Hartwick royal line of Hartsvale? How is he perceived by the common folk of Waterdeep? I had the opportunity to meet Shaquille Oniel a short time back and I have to say meeting a 7 footer of his stature was an impressive site and someone of his size immediately draws gazes. I can imagine what an 8 footer in plate mail armor would immediately draw a crowd and the attention of others. Are the people of the city fairly accustomed to this site? He is described as amiable, is he the quintessential gentle giant type?

Thanks and hoping you return to Waterdeep in a future novel.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  14:28:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Clegane. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that you've been enjoying your time in Waterdeep. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information on Madeiron Sunderstone. To be completely candid, I haven't spent much thought on his life beyond the published material, and even if I had, I couldn't share it. If something hasn't been reviewed and approved by WotC, I don't publish it. That includes posting web comments that include speculations and extrapolations. Not all FR writers subscribe to this policy, but I think it's a sound one. Internet comments soon lose their context, so any unapproved lore floating around tends to muddy the waters of continuity.

Best,
ec

quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Hi Elaine. I have recently read several of your novels centered around Waterdeep including City of Splendors. Loved them all. The Songs and Shadows series hooked me on the Forgotten Realms. I have since bought all the Campaign material I could find on Waterdeep. I also loved your intro in the campaign boxed set of Waterdeep. I was wondering about the character of Madeiron Sunderstone and what does it mean to be the Open Lord's champion. As Piergeiron's Champion, how much time does he spend by his side and do his duties ever require him elsewhere from the Open Lord? Piergeiron has appeared in several of your novels but I think City of Splendors is the only one where we actually see him with Piergeiron(I could be wrong about this) and the just for one sequence in the story.

Is he very active in the happenings of the City? He is a paladin and must be wise and is stated as fearless and I was wondering how that meshes with him not being especially bright? Do the other Lords or would Danillo or Arilyn look down on his intellect? Would he garner any respect from someone like Elaith Craulnober? How do Texter or the other notable Paladins of Waterdeep view him. What is his personality like? Nobility and royalty seem to be held in high regard in Waterdeep, does Madeiron himself or any of his friends acknowledge his blood ties to the Hartwick royal line of Hartsvale? How is he perceived by the common folk of Waterdeep? I had the opportunity to meet Shaquille Oniel a short time back and I have to say meeting a 7 footer of his stature was an impressive site and someone of his size immediately draws gazes. I can imagine what an 8 footer in plate mail armor would immediately draw a crowd and the attention of others. Are the people of the city fairly accustomed to this site? He is described as amiable, is he the quintessential gentle giant type?

Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  00:51:21  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that you've been enjoying your time in Waterdeep. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information on Madeiron Sunderstone. To be completely candid, I haven't spent much thought on his life beyond the published material, and even if I had, I couldn't share it. If something hasn't been reviewed and approved by WotC, I don't publish it. That includes posting web comments that include speculations and extrapolations. Not all FR writers subscribe to this policy, but I think it's a sound one. Internet comments soon lose their context, so any unapproved lore floating around tends to muddy the waters of continuity.

Best,
ec

quote:

Thanks for the answer. Hope to see your name on a future FR novel, hopefully one involving Waterdeep!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  13:08:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mrs. Cunningham,

Will you attend to GenCon this year? I have a friend going there, and if so I'd like you to autograph my Evermeet: Island of the Elves hardcover book, which I would send through him.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  16:16:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Dear Mrs. Cunningham,

Will you attend to GenCon this year? I have a friend going there, and if so I'd like you to autograph my Evermeet: Island of the Elves hardcover book, which I would send through him.

Hi, Barastir.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending GenCon this year. Maybe in 2015!

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  13:11:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi, Barastir.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending GenCon this year. Maybe in 2015!

No problem, thank you for your kind answer.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  20:50:19  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Best,
ec

quote:

Thanks for the answer. Hope to see your name on a future FR novel, hopefully one involving Waterdeep!

I might be mistaken, but my memory says that Madeiron Sunderstone also is in the Waterdeep portions of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga books. Anyone else remember that?
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  19:44:01  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

What do you think the odds are that Matteo and Tzigone or their descendants are still around in present day FR? With all that has happened, especially in Halruaa, I would imagine not likely, but considering their heritages and that Matteo was never castrated, I think it possible. I actually always hoped for a follow up trilogy that had them romantically involved, but I guess wishful thinking on the part of a fan haha.

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  20:48:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess we have to wait to see what happens with Halruaa... The 4E lore wasn't all that clear about what happened, there.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  14:12:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Elaine,

What do you think the odds are that Matteo and Tzigone or their descendants are still around in present day FR?

I never saw Matteo and Tzigone as romantically or sexually involved. It's possible that one or both of them had children with another partner, and perhaps there are descendants still living in what remains of Halruaa. But to be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought. Whenever my thoughts turn to Halruaa, I'm stopped dead by the lingering shockwaves of 4E: Halruaa wiped off the map, Evermeet transported to another dimension.

There are times when I'd love to have a part in bringing these lands back to the Realms, but I don't see this happening any time soon.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 20 Aug 2014 15:30:48
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  15:59:41  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are times when I'd love to have a part in bringing these lands back to the Realms, but I don't see this happening any time soon.

If WotC gave you the chance to fix/rescue Halruaa with a novel trilogy, I would pre-order it instantly.

I loved Halruaa, not only for your novels set there but for the overall concept. Bringing it back, and letting you do it, would do a lot for many fans.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  16:47:21  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see you write in the Realms again, Elaine, and I know a lot of other people would, too.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  17:21:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

If WotC gave you the chance to fix/rescue Halruaa with a novel trilogy, I would pre-order it instantly.

I loved Halruaa, not only for your novels set there but for the overall concept. Bringing it back, and letting you do it, would do a lot for many fans.

Agreed

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:53:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

Agreed

Heck, it doesn't even have to be set in Halruaa for it to be a sale, for me.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:00:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I preferred the unedited post by Elaine. Its good to know a writer's perspective on the spellplague as well.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:24:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Heck" the second I hear you have a new realms book I'll be first in line... I'll even push and shove to get in front of our giant hamster friend. :P
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:50:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I preferred the unedited post by Elaine. Its good to know a writer's perspective on the spellplague as well.

Upon brief reflection, I decided that was TMI.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:53:41  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

"Heck" the second I hear you have a new realms book I'll be first in line... I'll even push and shove to get in front of our giant hamster friend. :P

Never meddle with giant hamsters, for your head is crunchy and shaped like kibble...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  21:31:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Never meddle with giant hamsters, for your head is crunchy and shaped like kibble...

Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  21:18:34  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently read Waterdeep, and was wondering about the rune Elaith could carve on a victim that would make speak with dead and similar spells fail. Was the game mechanic behind this power ever explained, or could you elaborate on the nature of the power?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  16:38:41  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DenverJack

I recently read Waterdeep, and was wondering about the rune Elaith could carve on a victim that would make speak with dead and similar spells fail. Was the game mechanic behind this power ever explained, or could you elaborate on the nature of the power?

This was not an established 3.5 spell, so the game mechanics have not been codified. It's a spell Ed and I concocted. The nature of this power is one of those things probably best left unspoken, but I can assure you that no virgins, chickens, or livestock were harmed in its production.

Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  17:16:49  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the reply!

Was it a spell cast by Elaith, or a power of the dagger he used? I won't pry any deeper than that. :)

I've enjoyed your books greatly, and to get the reply directly from you is awesome - thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  18:30:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DenverJack

Thank you very much for the reply!

Was it a spell cast by Elaith, or a power of the dagger he used? I won't pry any deeper than that. :)

I've enjoyed your books greatly, and to get the reply directly from you is awesome - thanks again!

Elaith cast the spell--one he learned through extreme measures and then modified--but yes, the dagger itself played a part.

There's always backstory to a novel--unwritten details that help lend characters a sense of history and complexity--and while I was writing this I had in mind that the dagger was crafted by dark elves. Elaith came across it in Skullport, and acquired it during one of his more unsavory adventures. It's not something he's proud of--he doesn't like carrying a drow weapon and he doesn't like the memories using it evokes--but Elaith is an extremely pragmatic elf and will do what is necessary to complete a chosen task.
Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  21:18:02  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome- thank you! The backstory on Elaith would probably make for a great trilogy, as the dagger story alone would be very interesting.

Thanks for the replies, and for all the enjoyment your stories have brought!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000