Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2013 :  22:45:53  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Magehound 2nd book , you make mention of a Green mage, a sort of seemingly blend of drudiac, clerical, and arcane of abilities and healing. What thought did you have behind in, so far as what exactly that entailed?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  19:20:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

In the Magehound 2nd book , you make mention of a Green mage, a sort of seemingly blend of drudiac, clerical, and arcane of abilities and healing. What thought did you have behind in, so far as what exactly that entailed?

Hi, Silverwolfer.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. "Green mage" is a colloquial Halruaan term for a type of healer, but not necessarily a NEW type of healer. Halruaan magic is divided into nine formal schools, but since magic is so prevalent, it seemed logical to me that there would also be many other cultural terms for people who used magic. Some of those would likely focus on the result, rather than the school or even the class of the caster. So I imagine there are local names for people who find lost items, engage in magic-enhanced matchmaking, rid houses of unwanted incorporeal entities, specialize in training and/or healing sick animals, and so on. So "green mage" could refer to anyone who heals with a blend of herbal lore and magic, regardless of their class. Druids, therefore, might be referred to as green mages, but so might the local midwife with the fabulous herb garden.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  20:45:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine. I just wanted to chime in with a "hear, hear!" I like this take on non-caster views of magic (or exceptional skill that might look like magic. I think in my own games I'd like to expand it to other places where magic is commonly seen, or often credited/blamed for events/affects that can't be explained through common folklore, but where the schools/spheres (depending on what edition we're playing) of magic aren't really understood or cared about. I'm thinking Mulhorand, because I'm biased, but I can see how folks in Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Myth Drannor, and not just big cities but also small villages, would look at practitioners of magic this way. Nobody calls an evoker an evoker except evokers, ya know? Illusionist is descriptive but farmers and barkeeps are likely to come up with other references. Some names might be commonplace ("green mage" makes perfect sense for the caster you describe, and it seems logical that this name would spread across Faerun) while infrequently seen or much-maligned forms of magic might have a different name in each place, and obscure distinctions (like "white" necromancy) might be completely lost on most folks.

Anyway, thanks for getting my rusty wheels turning.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  19:04:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Hi, xaeyruudh!

It's odd, what can get the thought processes turning. This morning Andrew was emptying the kitchen garbage and was startled by the tinkle of shifting quinoa seeds I'd thrown out. When he asked what that was, my mouth said "Quinoa," but my mind said, "An avalanche of tiny bones." That is now a title in search of a story.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  19:15:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! That's a pretty awesome title.

*mumbles* her wheels are better than mine...
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  19:18:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not necessarily. The OTHER title-in-search-of-a-story that hit me yesterday was "The Headless Norseman."

quote:

Nice! That's a pretty awesome title.

*mumbles* her wheels are better than mine...

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  19:24:17  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah I like that one too. Maybe the Headless Norseman can meet the Needless Horseman. They can share drinks and shrink from dares.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  20:30:32  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope all is well on this Athenya, Ms. Cunningham, my question is do you mind if people use character's from your novels in your games? I was cooking dinner for a few friends that I role play with last night, I cook and they read stories I can't access, which seems to work well for everyone, and the topic came up, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for your time.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  20:43:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I hope all is well on this Athenya, Ms. Cunningham, my question is do you mind if people use character's from your novels in your games? I was cooking dinner for a few friends that I role play with last night, I cook and they read stories I can't access, which seems to work well for everyone, and the topic came up, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for your time.

Hi, Sightless.

Thanks for asking. One of the main purposes of the novels is to give color and depth to the setting, which in turn can add to gamers' campaigns. I'm glad to hear that you and your friends like my characters well enough to include them in your games.

Best,
ec
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  04:17:12  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

I only just now have read Best of the Realms III.

Many years late coming to that party, but to see my most favorite characters come to life in many short stories I hadn't read before was fantastic. Your Realms breathes so much life, and really defines how I love to run my own campaigns.

The book also shows how much I miss those characters, and it make it bittersweet to have hints in there about the 'Reclamation' book that was unable to see print.

So thank you for all that. I just recently reread all my Arilyn books, and they are still just as fantastic as I recall. The fantasy, the imagery, the depth of emotion, and the care about the characters still rings true, even though I had not read them in well over a dozen years.

So, a long winded kudos!
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  04:37:23  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Hi, xaeyruudh!

It's odd, what can get the thought processes turning. This morning Andrew was emptying the kitchen garbage and was startled by the tinkle of shifting quinoa seeds I'd thrown out. When he asked what that was, my mouth said "Quinoa," but my mind said, "An avalanche of tiny bones." That is now a title in search of a story.

The Demerol is currently having fun with my CNS, so there are probably going to be typeos, for which I am sincerely sorry. Ms. Cunningham, let me begin by thanking you for your very prompt reply, as it both confirms something suspected by one individual among the gathering previously mentioned, and put’s to rest a concern by another. While listening to some of the various posts related hereto, I came across a post to a title in search of a story, called, “An avalanche of tiny bones.” Naturally, what I shall relate is of little importance, as beyond the obvious reasons, I shall mention in a moment. The story “An avalanche of tiny bones” was a murder mystery, began by myself involving the removal of the most ulnar, or the Pinky Finger from 23 children by, ranging in ages of seven to twelve, what appears to be a serial killer. The individual in question, like most individuals fitting that catagorization, keeps the fingers as trophies. This is then the reference previously mentioned in the title. The children, or rather there parents hold a strange connection to both each other, as well as the man responsible. Throw in a few references to the Zodiac killer, the significance of twenty three, and the finger mentioned in Asian mythos, a cop that feels out of her element and an IRS agent that is involved more by chance than anything else, and you have the story. Unfortunately, all I have of the thing is what’s on tape, as my computer died when someone accidently set my roof on fire when setting off fireworks. Now, even if I was to write the entire thing down, which I shall do at some point, the only folks that would ever read the thing are close friends, as I suspect no publisher would ever touch the thing. This furether exemplifies the statement regarding the overall insignificance of the mentioning of any of this. I’m largely informing you of this, something I shall probably look back upon in wonderment, because of the urging of someone I shall leave unnamed, who I suspect wants to see if you’ll take the idea and run with it. I am beginning to hope that you don’t, largely as I’m completely certain that you can think of something better; but there you have it, hopefully this hasn’t been an utter waste of useful time, most respectfully, Sightless.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  12:17:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind word, Renin. Much appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Elaine,

I only just now have read Best of the Realms III.

Many years late coming to that party, but to see my most favorite characters come to life in many short stories I hadn't read before was fantastic. Your Realms breathes so much life, and really defines how I love to run my own campaigns.

The book also shows how much I miss those characters, and it make it bittersweet to have hints in there about the 'Reclamation' book that was unable to see print.

So thank you for all that. I just recently reread all my Arilyn books, and they are still just as fantastic as I recall. The fantasy, the imagery, the depth of emotion, and the care about the characters still rings true, even though I had not read them in well over a dozen years.

So, a long winded kudos!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  12:24:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Sightless.

Fortunately, titles aren't covered by copyright, and a quick search on Amazon.com will demonstrate that some titles are used many times. So there's no problem here. (Even LESS of a problem considering I don't have a story to go with the title...)

Sorry to hear about your fried computer! Good luck reconstructing the files.

ec

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

The Demerol is currently having fun with my CNS, so there are probably going to be typeos, for which I am sincerely sorry. Ms. Cunningham, let me begin by thanking you for your very prompt reply, as it both confirms something suspected by one individual among the gathering previously mentioned, and put’s to rest a concern by another. While listening to some of the various posts related hereto, I came across a post to a title in search of a story, called, “An avalanche of tiny bones.” Naturally, what I shall relate is of little importance, as beyond the obvious reasons, I shall mention in a moment. The story “An avalanche of tiny bones” was a murder mystery, began by myself involving the removal of the most ulnar, or the Pinky Finger from 23 children by, ranging in ages of seven to twelve, what appears to be a serial killer. The individual in question, like most individuals fitting that catagorization, keeps the fingers as trophies. This is then the reference previously mentioned in the title. The children, or rather there parents hold a strange connection to both each other, as well as the man responsible. Throw in a few references to the Zodiac killer, the significance of twenty three, and the finger mentioned in Asian mythos, a cop that feels out of her element and an IRS agent that is involved more by chance than anything else, and you have the story. Unfortunately, all I have of the thing is what’s on tape, as my computer died when someone accidently set my roof on fire when setting off fireworks. Now, even if I was to write the entire thing down, which I shall do at some point, the only folks that would ever read the thing are close friends, as I suspect no publisher would ever touch the thing. This furether exemplifies the statement regarding the overall insignificance of the mentioning of any of this. I’m largely informing you of this, something I shall probably look back upon in wonderment, because of the urging of someone I shall leave unnamed, who I suspect wants to see if you’ll take the idea and run with it. I am beginning to hope that you don’t, largely as I’m completely certain that you can think of something better; but there you have it, hopefully this hasn’t been an utter waste of useful time, most respectfully, Sightless.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  16:49:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mrs. Cunningham! How're you doing these days? I hope everything's alright! Well, I'm here to brig you an old question, which came into my mind one of these nights, about the Craulnober blade and Elaith's survival after drawing it when he was unworthy...

Well, back in 2005 a sage from Australia, named Dargoth, asked if Elaith would not be killed when drawing the blade, since Tincheron the half-elf/ half-dragon was around at the time of the "Game of Chance" story. Your answer, back then, was this:

"A fair question. When you consider how long elves live, and how complex the ties between elven families might be, it could probably be argued that there will ALWAYS be living relatives, provided one is willing to climb the family tree high enough and wander into the outermost branches. I've never established a necessary decree of consanguinity, but I would assume that such would have to exist.

But the simple answer is that Tincheron is a young half-dragon, whose birth (or more accurately, his hatching) occurred after Elaith was rejected by the Craulnober moonblade."

At the time I first read your answer I think I accepted it as it came, and I didn't wondered about Tincheron's parents... Because even if Tincheron wasn't alive in the time of Elaith's drawing of the blade, his elf parent would be around, for him to be conceived later...

Other explanation would be that his elf parent would be already dead, and that his egg would be somehow "dormant". But then, would not he be a potential future wielder, and so an alive member of the line? Or the fact of being only half-elven would exclude him (Dargoth, at the time, remembered that Arilyn's blade accepted her although she was a half-breed, I just don't remember if the blade was already without its moonstone when it accepted her).

Well, the final and only option I find for now is that they are really distant relatives, and so he would be too far a member of the bloodline to claim the blade. What do you think about the topic? And one more quick question: have any power of Craulnober moonblade, aside from dragonfear, been revealed in published sources? I thought so, but can't find the right references.

Thank you in advance!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  18:06:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Barastir.

The properties of the Craulnober moonblade have never been established in the lore. As for the issue of inheritance, I really don't have anything to add. To do so would require inventing and posting new lore--a history and lineage for Tintager- without the oversight or permission of WotC. And that's not the sort of thing a shared-world writing ought to be doing.

Best,

ec

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Hi, Mrs. Cunningham! How're you doing these days? I hope everything's alright! Well, I'm here to brig you an old question, which came into my mind one of these nights, about the Craulnober blade and Elaith's survival after drawing it when he was unworthy...

Well, back in 2005 a sage from Australia, named Dargoth, asked if Elaith would not be killed when drawing the blade, since Tincheron the half-elf/ half-dragon was around at the time of the "Game of Chance" story. Your answer, back then, was this:

"A fair question. When you consider how long elves live, and how complex the ties between elven families might be, it could probably be argued that there will ALWAYS be living relatives, provided one is willing to climb the family tree high enough and wander into the outermost branches. I've never established a necessary decree of consanguinity, but I would assume that such would have to exist.

But the simple answer is that Tincheron is a young half-dragon, whose birth (or more accurately, his hatching) occurred after Elaith was rejected by the Craulnober moonblade."

At the time I first read your answer I think I accepted it as it came, and I didn't wondered about Tincheron's parents... Because even if Tincheron wasn't alive in the time of Elaith's drawing of the blade, his elf parent would be around, for him to be conceived later...

Other explanation would be that his elf parent would be already dead, and that his egg would be somehow "dormant". But then, would not he be a potential future wielder, and so an alive member of the line? Or the fact of being only half-elven would exclude him (Dargoth, at the time, remembered that Arilyn's blade accepted her although she was a half-breed, I just don't remember if the blade was already without its moonstone when it accepted her).

Well, the final and only option I find for now is that they are really distant relatives, and so he would be too far a member of the bloodline to claim the blade. What do you think about the topic? And one more quick question: have any power of Craulnober moonblade, aside from dragonfear, been revealed in published sources? I thought so, but can't find the right references.

Thank you in advance!

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  13:08:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for the issue of inheritance, I really don't have anything to add. To do so would require inventing and posting new lore - a history and lineage for Tintager - without the oversight or permission of WotC. And that's not the sort of thing a shared-world writing ought to be doing.

I thought it would concern a much more recent lineage, but as of posting new or uncovered lore, I see your point. About the half-elf drawing a moonblade, the reference I checked says that Arilyn's blade was already without its moonstone when she claimed it, so this is a possible path, just like the others I suggested. Thank you anyway, Mrs. Cunningham.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:49:48  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mrs. Cunnigham,

I had a question about Thornhold...to whit:

What year (DR) did Bronwyn Caradoon and shield dwarves of Clan Stoneshaft take over Thornhold and what are they using it for in the years 1371-74? It sits along the High Road at the start of the Mere of Dead Men, so it would make an ideal way stop for caravans entering the Mere (as the edge of civilization so to speak).

Do you know of a map with its layout and do you have a general idea of how many dwarves inhabit it?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:28:25  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a little research it would seem I've answered some of my own questions...

1368/69 was the year the Zhents took over and then the Stoneshaft dwarves liberated Thornhold (or so it would seem).

According to the 3E supplement, City of Splendors, Thornhold is being used in 1372 as:
"Clan Stoneshaft continues to operate the formidable redoubt to this day
as a merchant stopover—the last along the High Road before the
dangerous dash past the Mere of Dead Men."

I still haven't found a specific map (but I did find a rough description of the keep) nor do I have any idea how many dwarves make up Clan Stoneshaft.

I'd simply love to hear what you (their creator) think the dwarves (and Bronwyn) might be getting themselves up to at the keep at around this time (in the Golden Era of the 2E/3E Realms) if you'd care to share!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association

Edited by - Kris the Grey on 17 Nov 2013 02:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  18:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I have finished reading the liriel books and I want to say thank it was a great read i 'm happy to say I enjoyed all three books. Just wondering the last book's end seem end like to me that a lot happen so fast it was difficult to follow. I will have to give another read to understand everything that happen but I had just one little question what happen to liriel after the books end?

Thank you again and I hope you have a nice day.

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 22 Nov 2013 18:14:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  18:51:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Hi Elaine,

I have finished reading the liriel books and I want to say thank it was a great read i 'm happy to say I enjoyed all three books. Just wondering the last book's end seem end like to me that a lot happen so fast it was difficult to follow. I will have to give another read to understand everything that happen but I had just one little question what happen to liriel after the books end?

In the Best of Elaine compilation, there's a new Liriel story, set several years later.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  21:05:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Kris.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no specific map of Thornhold and environs. I don't think the exact number of dwarves in Clan Stoneshaft was ever established, but giving Ebenezer's bawdy and sarcastic response to Bronwyn's question about his family name ("My Da sired himself 13 kids...."), I think it's safe to assume that it's a pretty big extended family.

Take my husband's family, for example. His father was one of ten children. About seventy years later, the family that descended from Bill's grandfather numbered in the hundreds. Children and grandchildren and in-laws and step-children and so on--it adds up fast. And when one considers the longer dwarf lifespan, families could get very large very quickly. Since caves and caverns are not conducive to suburban sprawl, I'm assuming that when things got crowded, members of the Stoneshaft clan left the clanhold to found new mining communities. So the question would be threefold: How many people were in Ebenezer's home clanhold, how many kin lived outside of this particular series of caves and tunnels, and how many from both groups decided to relocate to Thornhold. For that matter, it seems very likely to me that many of the dwarves would live both above and below ground--perhaps splitting their time between mining and guard duty in the keep. Before I could give a useful answer to the question of how many dwarves in habit Thornhold, I'd have to do some research into the economics of a medieval trading outpost and the number of warriors needed to hold a fortress against attack. Hmmm....

I have a few ideas about what the dwarves and Bronwyn might have been doing after the events of Thornhold, but since that falls under the category of "publishing unapproved lore," I must regretfully decline to share them. There is, however, a glimpse into Bronwyn's future in the story "The Knights of Samular," a new tale that kicked off the short story collection Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham.

quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

With a little research it would seem I've answered some of my own questions...

1368/69 was the year the Zhents took over and then the Stoneshaft dwarves liberated Thornhold (or so it would seem).

According to the 3E supplement, City of Splendors, Thornhold is being used in 1372 as:
"Clan Stoneshaft continues to operate the formidable redoubt to this day
as a merchant stopover—the last along the High Road before the
dangerous dash past the Mere of Dead Men."

I still haven't found a specific map (but I did find a rough description of the keep) nor do I have any idea how many dwarves make up Clan Stoneshaft.

I'd simply love to hear what you (their creator) think the dwarves (and Bronwyn) might be getting themselves up to at the keep at around this time (in the Golden Era of the 2E/3E Realms) if you'd care to share!

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Nov 2013 21:15:16
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  21:12:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Portella!

Thanks for your post--delighted to hear that you enjoyed Liriel's story!

And thanks to Wooly for the short story heads-up. "Answered Prayers" takes place 10 years after the events of Windwalker. In it, Liriel has become a cleric of Mystra, thus combining her love for magic and her clerical bias. Over the past ten years, she'd been adventuring with Thorn and Sharlarra. I loved the notion of a trio of elven sword-sisters as an adventuring party. {:)]

ec

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Hi Elaine,

In the Best of Elaine compilation, there's a new Liriel story, set several years later.

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  05:52:39  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

It sounds like 'a goodly number' is the relative answer to my "How many Stoneshaft dwarves can a fellow expect to find in Thornhold?" inquiry. I'd put that at between a hundred and two hundred for the general operation of the keep and its defense (based on what I've seen of the same in the standard D&D literature). That gives me a much better sense, thanks! You mention mines, I'd assume those would be located at the varied clanholds elsewhere, not at/under the keep itself?

I appreciate the legal pickle you find yourself in on the lore question, not a problem that you can't answer it in a forum such as this. I do appreciate the reference to the short story in the anthology. I had read it quite a while back (when it was first released), but had understandably forgotten having done so! It does indeed give me a good sense of Bronwyn's future (post 1374 anyway!).

On a side note, along with 'Best of the Realms' I've actually read (and own) every Forgotten Realms novel you've ever written and I can say I am a genuine fan of your work. What's more, upon meeting my now wife, I set her upon the path of reading your works, and you made yourself another fan through that process. She is a particular admirer of your Liriel novels, and very much enjoyed the short story referenced above (the end of the Liriel plot line so to speak) when she finally read it last year. We both hope that someday you might find yourself writing Realms fiction once again (despite the many bumps along the road that might have kept you from doing so up to now). We also both hope to be lucky enough to make your brief acquaintance at one convention or another at some point in the future. We live in your neck of the woods, and would have run into you at one of your writers workshops (as we do a bit of amateur scribbling of our own and so love to attend those sorts of things) at ConnectiCon this last summer had you been able to attend.

Speaking of my wife, and Liriel, she asked me to pass along the following inquiry related to our present campaign set in the Realms. If around 1371 DR a good hearted cleric/wizard of the Mystran faith, traveling in the company of a half drow bard worshipper of Eilistraee, were to make the acquaintance of both the head of the Church of Selune in Waterdeep (and thus Kyriani Agrivar as well) and Qilue Veladorn how likely might it be for either of those two august personages to mention the existence of Liriel? Not her true family heritage, but the fact that she is a goodly drow (and faithful of Mystra) roaming the lands of light? Basically, is Liriel something of a secret/traveling in hiding, or are her travels and deeds post 1371 known to the 'adventuring public'?

Edited by - Kris the Grey on 23 Nov 2013 05:56:15
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  10:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Elaine and woolly. I was looking for copy on the kindle store and it's not available there :(. I will keep my eyes open for a physical copy but good books don't show up in second hand stores here that often.

Any way I will start another trilogy of its just need to figure out which one.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  12:51:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Elaine and woolly. I was looking for copy on the kindle store and it's not available there

Yes, oddly enough the book is available in audio format (Nifty aside: The narrator sang the melody I wrote to the ballad Danilo's singing sword belts out in Elfshadow) but not as an ebook. If they DO publish the book in ebook form, I'm hoping they'll include the story or two that were left out because they'd been recently published elsewhere, such as "Gorlist's Dragon." I'd be interested in writing a new short story or two for the ebook format to make it more attractive to FR readers.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  13:01:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Elaine,
Speaking of my wife, and Liriel, she asked me to pass along the following inquiry related to our present campaign set in the Realms. If around 1371 DR a good hearted cleric/wizard of the Mystran faith, traveling in the company of a half drow bard worshipper of Eilistraee, were to make the acquaintance of both the head of the Church of Selune in Waterdeep (and thus Kyriani Agrivar as well) and Qilue Veladorn how likely might it be for either of those two august personages to mention the existence of Liriel? Not her true family heritage, but the fact that she is a goodly drow (and faithful of Mystra) roaming the lands of light? Basically, is Liriel something of a secret/traveling in hiding, or are her travels and deeds post 1371 known to the 'adventuring public'?

I think Qilue would have to be very, very sure of someone before she mentioned Liriel. Any Underdark drow who lives on the surface is going to have powerful enemies, both from among her kind and surface dwellers who see a drow--ANY drow--as a threat to be eliminated. This gives Qilue two reasons for discretion: 1) making sure that the adventurer in question isn't planning to sell out Liriel and 2) getting a sense of whether or not the adventurer will be able to handle the sort of trouble that follows a renegade Menzoberranzan drow.

It's entirely possible that stories of Liriel's exploits will be passed along; after all, well-meaning drow are not very common. So yes, some adventurers may have heard rumors and a few will have first-hand stories to tell. I suppose it's possible that at some point she and her sword-sisters saw an advantage to going high profile with a badass name for their trio and a carefully orchestrated rep. (I'm seeing how a bard could come in handy here. A PR manager, if you will.) If that were the case, then people would be more likely to know some version of Liriel's story, and Qilue would be more likely to pass along the public version. That might be an interesting story angle to explore in your campaign.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 24 Nov 2013 13:22:26
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  01:06:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
We both hope that someday you might find yourself writing Realms fiction once again (despite the many bumps along the road that might have kept you from doing so up to now). We also both hope to be lucky enough to make your brief acquaintance at one convention or another at some point in the future. We live in your neck of the woods, and would have run into you at one of your writers workshops (as we do a bit of amateur scribbling of our own and so love to attend those sorts of things) at ConnectiCon this last summer had you been able to attend.

I felt pretty guilty about missing ConnectiCon, but things fell into place rather suddenly for my younger son to move to Japan. That would have been his last weekend at home, and there was no way in hell I was going to be anywhere else.

I haven't been attending many conventions over the past several years, but I hope to get out and about a bit more in 2014.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  16:36:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
but things fell into place rather suddenly for my younger son to move to Japan.

This coupled with a vague memory of a blog-post you wrote about your older son starting college kinda makes me realise how long Candlekeep's been around now.

Pretty impressive, as internet-forums go.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  18:59:35  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

Family always comes first! So, absolutely no worries about you missing ConnectiCon, as they say in sports (and all other aspects of life really), 'there is always next year!'.

Thank you very much for the insights on Liriel's 'common knowledge' exploits and the circumstances of their likely re-telling. In re-reading "Answered Prayers" it certainly seems as though Liriel is not exactly shy about living out in the open (her move with the boots would certainly inspire tales to be told about it!). I agree that the story angle might be an interesting one to explore. Do you know what year DR the story takes place in?

Edited by - Kris the Grey on 24 Nov 2013 19:05:07
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  22:39:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine,

Do you know what year DR the story takes place in?

Yep! WINDWALKER took place in late 1361 and "Answered Prayers was almost exactly 10 years later, so it would be in the autumn of 1371.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000