Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  03:03:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm now rereading The Magehound by Elaine Cunningham, and trying to ignore the jordaini and the presence of an annoying elf for the sheer pleasure of seeing how the story unfolds. (Did I ever mention I first read the trilogy in this order: Books 3, 1, and 2?)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  17:37:32  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Now simultaneously reading "Elminster Must Die" since the paperback arrived in my mailbox...

quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Reading the "Threat from the Sea" Omnibus at the moment; finished "Rising Tide", now reading "Under Fallen Stars".

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  04:09:38  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started Ring of Winter, which so far starts extremely good according to my tastes!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  11:02:35  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished "Elminster Must Die" - my first 15th century Realms book - and enjoyed it a lot. Now continuing with "Under Fallen Stars".
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2011 :  13:13:55  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished the Wars of the Spider Queen saga, found it mostly enterteining though somehow bit over-extended. Discovered some new facets of Quenthel all through the story, but got to say my most enjoyed chars were Pharaun and Halisstra, that together with Gomph Baenre interventions were the greatests thrills to the story in my view.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2011 :  21:19:19  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also recently finished the WotSQ series and agree with above poster on characters.
Currently busy wit the last book in the 'Starlight and Shadows' trilogy - Windwalker. My first foray into the writing of Ms.Cunningham and have enjoyed the series thoroughly so far.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  01:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I last posted here I have read all of the current releases of the brotherhood of the griffon and all the current abyssal plague novels other than Mark of Nerath. Also I actually read an Eberron novel, Lady Ruin and it was pretty good.
Next will be Dawnbringer andntgt collection of short stories

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

sparky the bardbarian
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  21:37:44  Show Profile Send sparky the bardbarian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got well over forty FR novels under my belt, but I'm afraid I've not read one in a couple of years. I just haven't been happy with the direction of the changes mandated by E4.I've read pretty much all of RA Salvatorre's works up to "The Pirate King," where I more or less gave up. I've red most of Ed Greenwood Elaine Cunningham.

I plan to live forever, or die trying.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  18:30:13  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently reading Book 3 of The Empyrean Odyssey: The Crystal Mountain.

I've got a "realms.xls" spreadsheet where I track the Realms books I own and have read. Currently (according to the fine list at o-love.net) there are 251 novels. I own 115, and have read 56. I do not count omnibuses as separate books. If I own, say, the Threat From The Sea omnibus, then according to my list, I own the three novels contained within.

I usually read them in spurts. Often reading 7-8 or so before jumping into non-realms stuff for a while. My goal is to own and read every one of them. We'll see how long that takes.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  05:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up Untold Adventures a week ago and finally took a look through it. There are 4 FR stories within. They are written by Lisa Smedman (Tallfolk Tales), Paul Park (Watchers at the Living Gate), Ed Greenwood (Lord of the Darkways), and Rosemary Jones (Dreaming of Waterdeep). I have so far only read Ed's story. It is set during Manshoon's rise to power in Zhentil Keep. I haven't read Rosemary's story yet, but the little bit at the begining indicates it features Gustin from City of the Dead.

I'm also about 80 pages into Darkvision.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  17:14:02  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Windwalker (Starlight and shadows trilogy) and started City of Ravens - which I'm finding very entertaining so far.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2011 :  04:00:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I guess I'll have to take a break from reading "new" Realms novels, perhaps for a month or so. I've recently purchased a lot of (non-FR) novels that I can't wait to devour.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  19:22:40  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished City of Ravens. It was a good read and I had a few good chuckles throughout the book. Very much enjoyed Jack and the witty tone of the book. Found the Game of Masks pretty interesting as well.

Now...I'm having a tough time on deciding what to read next. Considering the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy?

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 11 Jul 2011 14:33:10
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  05:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I picked up Untold Adventures a week ago and finally took a look through it. There are 4 FR stories within. They are written by Lisa Smedman (Tallfolk Tales), Paul Park (Watchers at the Living Gate), Ed Greenwood (Lord of the Darkways), and Rosemary Jones (Dreaming of Waterdeep). I have so far only read Ed's story. It is set during Manshoon's rise to power in Zhentil Keep. I haven't read Rosemary's story yet, but the little bit at the begining indicates it features Gustin from City of the Dead.

I'm also about 80 pages into Darkvision.

I read Rosemary's story yesterday. I liked it. It is about Gustin from City of the Dead in his earlier years as he gets his first taste of "adventure".

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Lewton
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2011 :  18:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Lewton's Homepage Send Lewton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently finished Dawnbringer and Gauntlgrym. I've read some bad posts about Dawnbringer, I myself thought it was a good read. As far as Gauntlygrym, found it to be more enjoyable than some of Mr. Salvatore's more recent books.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  15:18:04  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may not count as a novel, but my copy of the first volume of the collection of DC's Forgotten Realms comics should have arrived today
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  21:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last thing I finished was the Moonshae triligy....

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  22:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally finished Darkvision. I had to take a break from Realms novels to read a few others as I hit some kind of hump in Darkvision. I don't think it was a problem with that novel in particular as once I got to page 120 or so my interest picked up again and worked through the rest of the book. I'm going to try to read Stardeep next. After that, depending on the timing, it will probably be Bury Elminster Deep.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  16:44:56  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to read Gauntlgrym, after a break of two Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. This is the last FR novels I have to read until I get some new ones. Still don't know where I will be heading too, maybe I should get the 4th and 5th of the Time of Troubles saga as I wanted to read them for quite a lot else I'm going for the Lady Penitent ones. Mmmh decisions, decisions, ...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  13:43:27  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the comics - not as good as I expected, but still very enjoyable -, now started the paperback of Gauntlgrym.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  01:11:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Restless shore, and The Edge of Chaos. I really liked Edge of Chaos.

Now it's time to Bury Elminster DEEP!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  11:02:25  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Gauntlgrym - not too bad, considering the time leap -, now taking a break with Realms novels, but planning to read the Erevis Cale Omnibus next.
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  11:12:16  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished the Erevis Cale Omnibus, both Unbroken Chain novels and Blackstaff in the past month.

Over the next month or two I am planning on reading the complete Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep series and the remaining 3 books in the Wizards series.

Edited by - AdamBridger on 05 Aug 2011 11:37:36
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  11:05:15  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finally finished off the dungeons series.neversfall is up next.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  18:20:38  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Gauntlgrym, and now I'm trying to figure out what to read. Maybe I gor for Prince of Lies and Crucible, or I'll get the Cleric Quintet omnibus I saw in my bookshop...

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  02:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a copy of Bury Elminster Deep at Gencon from Ed at the signing area (and got some of my books signed in the process). I started reading it at Gencon and finished it last night. I liked it and I look forward to the next. The juicy lore bits are mostly at the very end. Manshoon's thought process around page 200 or so was interesting as he built himself up in his own mind. The fallout of the events in the epilogue and if there is any hope of the parties involved fulfilling the task given them should prove interesting. I thought it was interesting hearing Elminster educate his younger associates on Manshoon. I expected him to kind of blow him off, but he paints a picture of a powerful, capable adversary (who just won't die).

Now I just need to finish Stardeep since I wasn't able to finish it before GenCon.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  11:15:04  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Bloodwalk by James P. Davis. For some reason i really struggled to get into the book and although i enjoyed it i did find it quite hard work.

Just started Darkvision by Bruce R. Cordell and finding it much easier going.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  00:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Stardeep. I liked the Golem/AI thing. With the nature of the Traitor, it made sense to have a constant gaurdian that never sleeps. I would've liked a little more exploration of the idea that Cynosure (I believe that was it's name) was "lesser" while only having one body but much "greater" when he had more than one body. It seemed like a hive mind of one that benefitted from having multiple copies out and about.

I also read through Unbroken Chain very quickly. This was a very good book. That's not to say other Realms novels aren't good (I honestly haven't read one I would call bad), but this one stood out to me. It was definitely a character driven book. It centers on the Shadar-Kai and their thrill-seeking, always on the verge of fading away lifestyle and what that means for them trying to build a civilization. This is not a "the world is in dire peril" novel and is instead an exploration of what it would mean to be a Shadar-Kai. I will definitely have to get the follow up as soon as I can.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  15:48:41  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also read through Unbroken Chain very quickly. This was a very good book. That's not to say other Realms novels aren't good (I honestly haven't read one I would call bad), but this one stood out to me. It was definitely a character driven book. It centers on the Shadar-Kai and their thrill-seeking, always on the verge of fading away lifestyle and what that means for them trying to build a civilization. This is not a "the world is in dire peril" novel and is instead an exploration of what it would mean to be a Shadar-Kai. I will definitely have to get the follow up as soon as I can.

The sequal is even more character driven with a lot of focus on Ashok and Ilvani. I would highly recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  19:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:

The sequal is even more character driven with a lot of focus on Ashok and Ilvani. I would highly recommend it.

I ended up ordering it last night. So, it should be here about the time I finish the Star Wars book I started reading yesterday.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000