Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  19:14:06  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Darkwalker on Moonshae and liked it long ago, but took forever to get around to Black Wizards. So I read that over the holidays and really...didn't like it. I love Newt (a lot) but just found the book to be a case of the good guys being WAY too stupid to be believed. I skipped a lot of it while reading because it just wasn't good. I started Darkwell last night and got about 1/4 of the way in, and am finding that it's better than Black Wizards but the whole book is set up from Black Wizard's being a bad book with too much contrivance so that bugs me.

I did love the bit about Bhaal stating he wanted God Children WAYYYYYYYYYY back when Darkwell was published in 1989. That's such a cool set up for Baldur's Gate saga and Bhaal's children. I wished the Avatar trilogy focused more on Bhaal's avatar and what he got up to and how many children he sired by force or otherwise.

Next I will finally get around to reading Bury Elminster Deep, only because of my love for the Simbul and Ed told me himself at a book store in Toronto that I'd enjoy the book if I love the Simbul :)

After that, Neverwinter. I need to order more books though, Ring of Winter and the next Alias books after Song of the Saurials.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  22:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Cry of the Ghost Wolf a few days ago. I liked this one and the previous book in the Chosen of Nendawen series. It was nice to see the Hobgoblins get some time in the spotlight. It was really nice showing that while they may be monsterous, they aren't necessarily monsters (well, some of them might be). The book does resolve the main issues that have popped up through the trilogy while still leaving plenty for sequels if they choose to make them, and I hope they do. It will be interesting seeing where the odd band left at the end of this one go from here.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  09:11:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I finished Cry of the Ghost Wolf a few days ago. I liked this one and the previous book in the Chosen of Nendawen series. It was nice to see the Hobgoblins get some time in the spotlight. It was really nice showing that while they may be monsterous, they aren't necessarily monsters (well, some of them might be). The book does resolve the main issues that have popped up through the trilogy while still leaving plenty for sequels if they choose to make them, and I hope they do. It will be interesting seeing where the odd band left at the end of this one go from here.

Just read this book myself. I also enjoyed it as it was a different experience reading this book, the bestial Gods, the brutal but sometimes still honorable hobgoblins. I look forward to more in this series.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  02:11:41  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The latest Realms novel I read was Neverwinter. I'm awaiting The Masked Witches.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wolflord08
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  01:38:11  Show Profile Send Wolflord08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi this is my first post...ever. Well I have read all of the main line Novels, and am proud to say I started with "Spellfire" and "The Crystal Shard" when they first came out. Many years of Realmslore. There are some on my shelf I haven't read yet, I'm currently reading the "Brotherhood of the Griffon" trilogy. Keep up the good work!

Wolfie
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  02:13:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolflord08

Hi this is my first post...ever. Well I have read all of the main line Novels, and am proud to say I started with "Spellfire" and "The Crystal Shard" when they first came out. Many years of Realmslore. There are some on my shelf I haven't read yet, I'm currently reading the "Brotherhood of the Griffon" trilogy. Keep up the good work!

Welcome Wolflord!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  02:47:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started Cry of the GhostWolf.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  12:52:33  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

The latest Realms novel I read was Neverwinter. I'm awaiting The Masked Witches.

Welcome aboard !

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  02:28:22  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished "knights of Eveningstar". starting "knights of dragonfire". Cormyr Is a nice place but i'm curious to discover the other side of the medal when I'll read Sembia's novels.

I'm around 42 novels read now

Edited by - HardKano on 03 Feb 2012 02:29:47
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  15:08:22  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During my vacations I finished book 1 and 2 of The Return Of The Archwizards and am halfway through book 3.
I have to say I am really enjoying it so far. Loved book 1, especially in the beginning and book 3 so far too. Book 2 was kinda mixed, but overall really fun reading the trilogy! There's just nothing like my hero Malik! I wish there'd be more novels with this guy!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  04:15:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

During my vacations I finished book 1 and 2 of The Return Of The Archwizards and am halfway through book 3.
I have to say I am really enjoying it so far. Loved book 1, especially in the beginning and book 3 so far too. Book 2 was kinda mixed, but overall really fun reading the trilogy! There's just nothing like my hero Malik! I wish there'd be more novels with this guy!

Loved this trilogy.

I considered Malik a very good and very much welcome 'distraction.'

This series is one of the reasons I'd like see Denning write more FR novels. [I chatted with him, and it sounds like it's not going to happen soon.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  12:23:35  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started "The Sword Never Sleep" this week. a nice Trilogy around the Knights

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  16:53:37  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Loved this trilogy.

This series is one of the reasons I'd like see Denning write more FR novels. [I chatted with him, and it sounds like it's not going to happen soon.]

Actually I did not have a lot of expectations regarding the trilogy, as I saw several comments here of people who did not like it at all. I imagine this was due to the RSEs, which I did not like very much neither. Nevertheless I have enjoyed these books more than most other FR stuff I read in quite a while.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  17:30:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Loved this trilogy.

Actually I did not have a lot of expectations regarding the trilogy, as I saw several comments here of people who did not like it at all. I imagine this was due to the RSEs, which I did not like very much neither. Nevertheless I have enjoyed these books more than most other FR stuff I read in quite a while.

My issues with the trilogy have nothing to do with the RSE. I feel that any non-Denning character was badly mis-characterized in this trilogy, with most of them acting very foolishly while only Denning's white hats did the right thing. I also feel that the Shades were characterized as being far more powerful and ever-present than they should have been, a trend that has sadly continued.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  18:18:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My issues with the trilogy have nothing to do with the RSE. I feel that any non-Denning character was badly mis-characterized in this trilogy, with most of them acting very foolishly while only Denning's white hats did the right thing. I also feel that the Shades were characterized as being far more powerful and ever-present than they should have been, a trend that has sadly continued.

I agree, partly, that some of non-Denning characters were not portrayed as accurately as they should have been, but it's a minor thing I could tolerate for the storytelling, as a whole, was excellent.

As for Shade... Well, they're not going away that soon, given Paul's new novel this year.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  01:21:30  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ok, I totally agree with you on that! Actually there where quite a lot of additional things that would normally have seriously bugged me in those novels. Nevertheless I enjoyed them very much, I cannot really explain it why. Kinda strange...

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  15:31:14  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am currently reading The Floodgate. I think this puts me at 152 novels read.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:18:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's one of my favorite FR novels.

They shouldn't have nuked Halruaa...

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  00:58:29  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah excellent trilogy *sigh*. After that I always wondered why there were that little novels set in Halruaa...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  03:19:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah excellent trilogy *sigh*. After that I always wondered why there were that little novels set in Halruaa...

There's a Halruaan mercenary skyship (whose crew are mostly Halruaans) in the Brotherhood of the Griffon novels. Such survivors could mean there are many others out there... And that it's only a matter of time when their once mighty realm will one day be reborn. [Here's to positive thinking!]

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  01:43:27  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis. I have now read 64 Forgotten Realms novels. So as you can see I am quite far behind :)
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  02:58:54  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Just finished Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis. I have now read 64 Forgotten Realms novels. So as you can see I am quite far behind :)

Don't worry, you're not alone ! :) i'm at 44 and i think many people only read 2-3 novels on the realms, unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  04:12:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

quote:

Don't worry, you're not alone ! :) i'm at 44 and i think many people only read 2-3 novels on the realms, unfortunately.

I heard some don't read the novels at all. Just the sourcebooks, for their games.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  13:50:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how many (to date) Realms novels have been published?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  14:41:59  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

By my count there are 258. I keep a spreadsheet checklist but it is possible I missed some.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  14:43:39  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night, after completing Circle of Skulls I read the "extended ending" on WOTC's website. Really makes me hope we'll see more of these characters. It definitely read more like a beginning than an ending...
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  16:21:48  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

By my count there are 258. I keep a spreadsheet checklist but it is possible I missed some.

I'm around 258 too. And on o-love.net library it is around 258 too

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  19:18:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to do a count and see how many i have read, i think it's around 180

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  02:08:13  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading the Farthest Reach right now. It's good so far and I really enjoyed the trilogy except for some relationships and dialogues of certain characters.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  00:53:22  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Return of the Archwizards trilogy. Were there annoying parts? Yes, a lot. But I really liked the books nevertheless!

Anyone knows if Galaeron and Malik show up in later books?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000