Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  11:53:21  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Temptation of Elminster today and i will start Elminster in Hell...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  22:52:51  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am about 1/3 the way through Elfsong and had just finished Elfshadow a couple of days ago.(I finally finished the Lady Penitent series before starting Elfshadow. I had been putting it off to keep E. alive in my head) I also have recently purchased Realms of the Underdark and Best of the Realms III. [ :) ]
I find that I pick the first book in a series and then have to read the rest in a hurry. For that I am thankful for ebooks. :)
I am anxiously awaiting The Last Threshold.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  08:07:45  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Shadowrealm. After reading his Erevis Cale novels, Paul Kemp is my new favourite Realms author.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  05:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Silver Shadows and Dream Spheres. I enjoyed them both and I look forward to reading Elaine's other books. Prior to these four (Elfshadow through Dream Spheres) the only book of hers that I had read was City of Splendors way back around the time I started reading Realms books. There is one thing about these books that I noticed that I have a question about if anyone can answer. There seem to be a number of dangling plot threads that aren't addressed (Lord Hhune and everyone involved with him, Isabeau Thionne, Bronwyn's brother and niece, Sir Gareth Cormaeril among others). I assume some were meant to be explored in Reclamation, but I am wondering if any of them are explored in any of Elaine's other books or short stories?

Now Evermeet will wait a short while so I can read Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  05:13:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Finished Shadowrealm. After reading his Erevis Cale novels, Paul Kemp is my new favourite Realms author.
For me, it was after The Twilight War trilogy. Erevis Cale trilogy has some engrossing and heart-wrenching moments; it has a cool hero-buddy: Riven, and a multi-layered, quite interesting antagonist: Vhostym. But overall, I wasn't really impressed with the series, most likely because I wasn't impressed with Cale himself in the first place.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

boweik
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  16:47:18  Show Profile Send boweik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Brimstone Angels, I think Erin portrayed an excellent example of the politics of Hell and it's hierarchy in the book... Started Downshadow a few days ago

"I got first blood!" - Drizzt Do'Urden
"Last counts more." - Artemis Entreri
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  02:53:52  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently reading "Prince of Ravens" and loving it so far!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Tam Zawad
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  00:05:25  Show Profile Send Tam Zawad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Lesser Evils (AMAZING) and now re-reading Charons Claw. The sample chapter Bob Salvatore posted for The Last Treshold got me suprisingly excited for Drizzt again!

The Culler of the Fold
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  13:00:38  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Chuckle* This thread made me so nostalgic I began digging through my huge stack of FR Books for the first time in about 4 years. Currently Reading a Simon Scarrow but Stormlight and Elfshadow are waiting their turn for a reread patiently.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  20:52:20  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone has a full count of all (published and announced to be published) FR novels?

I started off with the list from o-love, which was last updated in July 2012 and made a few additions of my own (like removing the two Kemp novels who are now folded into one, and added the Sundering and Stone of Tymora novels) and now I am at 275 FR novels (269 printed, and 6 e-book only, discounting e-book short stories, only full novels).

Anyone tried for a complete count and came up with a different number?

Anyhow, I just finished reading my 245th FR novel, thus if my count is correct only 30 to go to catch up with the release schedule (although some of these aren't actually released yet)

Edited by - Mirtek on 01 Jan 2013 23:33:20
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  19:57:39  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my list is around your count. I have updated it with o-love update of 2011 last year and was around 250

I have 205 of those novels and only read 54 novels so far.

I have finished Silvershadows yesterday and continue on Thornhold tonight

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

lordduck
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  23:27:10  Show Profile Send lordduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
like removing the two Kemp novels who are now folded into one, and added the Sundering and Stone of Tymora novels

The two books by Kemp you removed are Godbound and Godslayer?

Also, I find it weird that for such a complete site, it doesn't list the Stone of Tymora novels.

Are you counting Anthologies like Drizzt Collected Stories, Best of the Realms and Realm of the Dead, etc.?

The thing that might mess up the count from one person to another is with series like The Abyssal Plague, Lost Gods and Mysteries where not all the books are in the FR universe. Some might count all the books in the serie, some might just count the actual FR novel.

An anthology like Untold Adventure which contains short stories from the FR universe but is not listed as a FR anthology but rather a DnD anthology might also mess with the end number.

I'll check with my own list to see if the numbers match.

Also, the site o-love still lists the book Best of the Realms, Book IV, The, R. A. Salvatore (January 2011). That book hasn't come out under that name but rather as The Collected Stories: The Legend of Drizzt. It also doesn't list the Cold Steel and Secret books (all 4 of them), Sword of the Gods: Spinner of Lies, Prince of Ravens and Spider and Stone.

*edit*

Ok here's my end number, it contains the anthologies (including Untold Adventures since there are 3-4 FR stories in it). It contains only the 2 FR books of the Abyssal Plague, only the 2 FR books of the Mysteries Trilogy as well as only the 2 FR books in the Lost Gods Trilogy. It will only contain books and ebooks that have been released up to today. I did not count those that have been announced but not released.

I'm at 272.

Edited by - lordduck on 04 Jan 2013 00:28:59
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  00:14:51  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

I will strongly second that claim!

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  10:17:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reading some older FR novels right now. Reading Ghostwalker currently.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  02:16:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Prince of Ravens (great book!) and currently reading Shadowbane.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:05:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting Scream of Stone.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  06:30:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Thats a good series though admittedly I only read the last book. However you would enjoy it more is you have read the Fountainhead as it draws heavily from that novel.
Starting Brimstone Angels lesser evils myself.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  07:08:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you like Whisper of Waves and Lies of Light? Devorast and Phyrea annoyed me to death, so did the very unoriginal Ayn Rand musings, the unremarkable plot, and a whole of bunch of characters that Marek Rymut should have incinerated. Needless to say, I didn't bother reading Book 3.

Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  10:12:11  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Realms of War at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  12:42:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Did you like Whisper of Waves and Lies of Light? Devorast and Phyrea annoyed me to death, so did the very unoriginal Ayn Rand musings, the unremarkable plot, and a whole of bunch of characters that Marek Rymut should have incinerated. Needless to say, I didn't bother reading Book 3.

I thought books 1 & 2 were ok. I mostly enjoyed the setting since we don't get many Realms books set in and around the Lake of Steam

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  13:00:57  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone have his personnal vision of a book. It could be a disaster for 1 and a masterpiece for another. Depend on your expectations.

Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  13:04:25  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started The Spectral Blaze, gotta finish it and The Masked Witches and get ready for The Prophet of the Dead. Mr Byers is an amazing author, the Realms never felt so alive (except for Mr. Kemp's novels =))!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:19:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

Everyone have his personnal vision of a book. It could be a disaster for 1 and a masterpiece for another. Depend on your expectations.

Agreed. I have read over 200 Realms books and I didn't think any of them were truly amazing, but I have enjoyed MOST of them. It's hard for me to have my socks blown off by a 300 page book.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:21:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Thats a good series though admittedly I only read the last book. However you would enjoy it more is you have read the Fountainhead as it draws heavily from that novel.

Ha ha, why did you skip the first two books??

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:35:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's hard for me to have my socks blown off by a 300 page book.
Well, you can read all three 300-plus-page books in a trilogy in one sitting. That would make you feel like reading a thousand-page novel.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  15:21:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

It's hard for me to have my socks blown off by a 300 page book.
Well, you can read all three 300-plus-page books in a trilogy in one sitting. That would make you feel like reading a thousand-page novel.

On a somewhat related note: I've noticed that I can read Realms books at 2-3 times faster than non-Realms books. I just started Scream of Stone last night and I'm halfway through now and will easily finish it by tonight.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 11 Jan 2013 15:21:38
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  21:50:59  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to have more time to read more. Last years i read around 10 page minimum per time ... this yer i started with 20 ... it help to go deeper in a novel in less time ;) I will change my job soon. If i find something monday to friday 9 to 5 it will help too :D

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  17:02:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Sandstorm.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  13:11:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Ha ha, why did you skip the first two books??

Well I could only find the third book at my local bookstore and was too impatient to look around in other places so I just bought , read it , enjoyed it and kind of lost interest.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  14:19:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is hard to find a reasonably priced Watercourse Trilogy. I found a mint set at a local used bookstore and sold it on ebay for $40!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000