Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Equipment Disintegrating
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  03:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ok now it says in the drow equip. desc. that their equip. is created using adamantine, an alloy of adamantite that turns 2 dust if removed from the underdark. my ? is...is it the fact that it is created with adamantine that makes it turn 2 dust, or just the way the dark elves enchant their equip?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  04:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not meaning any offense here, but do you really have to type like that? It slows down reading -- it took me some time to figure out that "?" meant "question."

To answer your question (insofar as I can), I believe it's the latter. Drow magic is distinctly and uniquely tied to the Underdark. There are places in the depths that emit magic in a way very akin to the radiation of a nuclear reaction. Mostly those are buried quite deep, but enough spreads that the drow race's brand of magic can feed off these emenations directly. However, the light of the sun destroys this magic, and anything directly enchanted by it (such as armor and weapons).

If someone knows better (such as anyone who owns the recently-published Underdark), feel free to correct me. But that's how I've understood it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  06:05:10  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I think the question has been answered better than I could hope to answer it, let me say that if you are playing BGII and you want to get the items out of the underdark, there is a way

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  09:46:32  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FOR SHAME MUADDIB!!!!
There are many things that should not be said and that is one (Actually, it's more trouble than it's worth I think). Personally, That's one, the another is what one of the Insane mages say in Spellhold.... They might be insane, crazy and wacko BUT they make alot of sense (well to me anyways , I love wandering around in Spellhold, the Asylum for mages)... So nice... and peaceful... And the company..Yep.. Greatest area of all BG2... and the tests are wonderful... What's that? Time for the enchantments? Ok....

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  13:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the latter. Its not the metal, that would be just silly as hell. Since the fact that humans can make weapons out of such metal and never have it turn to dust in day light. I think you should have used common sence before you asked this. Not trying to be a dink about this. But really think about what your asking.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me

Edited by - Cult_Leader on 03 Dec 2003 13:53:12
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  13:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Elaine Cunningham explained how it could be taken out as well. And is because of the drow enchantments. There are many items made of asimantium on the surface.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  17:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe he thought that it was some special adamantium, found only in the Underdark? ::shrug::

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  20:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye Bookwyrm, i thought it could be some kind of special adamantium thats only found in the Underdark...or perhaps the way the item is forged??? or like i said, they way they enchant it. but u know what Cult_Leader, there are many different possible reasons of why this takes place, heck it could be because they rub their feces all over the item after its forged. obviously outrageous, but my point is that just because the material is used on the surface doesnt mean there is an obviouse method the drow use to make it disintegrate when it sees daylight. i was simply asking WHAT THAT METHOD WAS!!!

sorry Bookwyrm about the way i type, i didnt think it was that difficult for people to read and makes it take longer...but it is faster for me, thats why i do it. and did you see? i didnt do it once this whole message!

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  22:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this post has done something truely evil, it has made me that guy. You all know the one I mean, that guy. In any case, now would be a good time to clear up a few things with regards to Drow equipment and its construction.

First, there is often a wee bit of confusion about what exactly the difference between all these adamant metals are, well I will enlighten you. Adamantite is a variety of metal, similar to mithral, in that it is of a naturally high quality and that any weapons produced from it will bear an inherant enhancement. Adamantine is a special alloy used all but exclusively by Drow Elves to produce their signature equipment, ranging from armor to death lances. Adamantium has abosolutely noting to do with D&D. For anyone who cares, adamantium is from the X-Men comics and is the metal that Wolverine's claws and skeleton are composed of. In the future please be careful of you word choice (eyes Bookwyrm and Dracandos) or I just may go insane and start painting monkeys all over the library.

Secondly, I feel obliged to make note of the fact that in Third Edition Drow armor does not, infact, disintegrate in the sunlight, however assuming that it is still relavent to your campaign I will enlighten you. Bookwyrm was essentially correct, the reason it disintegrates on the surface is a result of the strange emmanations that come from the Underdark. This odd radiation is collectively refered to as the faerzress, which is responsible for many more things than enchanting armor. Aside from imbuing armor and weapons (if exposed to suffciantly powerful doses of the radiation) the faerzress also disrupts teleportational and translocational magic while in the Underdark, making it near impossible to teleport into, out of, or around the Underdark. Also, the many magical abilities the Drow posses, as well as their innate magical resistance, are the results of longterm exposure to the faerzress. That is why when Drow Elves go to the surface they lose some of their spell like abilities (or at least they used to before Thrid Edition and Daylight Adaptation).

I hope that was informative.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  02:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

Adamantium has abosolutely noting to do with D&D. In the future please be careful of you word choice (eyes
Bookwyrm and Dracandos) or I just may go insane and start painting monkeys all over the library.

thank u 4 the info, that was very informative. but adamantium is used in D&D so it does have something 2 do with it right? just not originally created 4 D&D. and is this the reason 4 ur insanity and painting monkeys, or 4 a different reason?

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  02:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being the first person to admit I'm wrong, I will more than willingly do that, if you can cite me a source Dracandos, or anyone else for that matter, where adamantium is used in any Wizards/TSR D&D product. As for painting monkeys, I am a cynical person by nature, please do not let it phase you.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  03:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, theylre all similar words. And I did find "adamantium" well before I started reading FR books.

Give an overworked old sage a break, now.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  05:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, they are all derived from "adamant", meaning something of incredible hardness or strength. I just tend to insist on clarity, since there was a time when I would see a 'adamant-' word and get all confused (-tite, -tine, -tium, they're all four letters!). Honestly, I almost think the designers like to confused us, sort of like some kind of socialogical experiment, that and they're trying to take over the world by breeding a race of roleplayer supersoldiers...but that's another bag of nuts.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  06:44:03  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking through the pitiful number of source books that I have, in this case, 'Volo's guide to all things magical' where it describes all metals and their properties, I see that Adamant, Adamantite and Adamantine are mentioned, but not Adamantium.

I would be forced to agree with Edain on this one. It looks like a marvel creation

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  20:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well u we have cleared that Adamant, Adamantite and Adamantine r included in the FR thanks to MuadDib () and as 4 adamantium, what about the adamantium golem?

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  20:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you cite a source for the "adamantium golem"? I have the sneaking suspicion you are refering to the adamantine golem.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  23:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a Marvel creation. I just didn't notice which word I was using.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  00:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye Edain, BG2 there r adamantium golems

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  00:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm...i am embarassed scribes, it seems the golems i was refering 2 r indeed adamantite. i was looking at the monster section of the official BG2 strategy guide, it seems in that they make a mistake, becuz it says it is the adamantium golem...like i said, im sorry, i was wrong

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  11:43:22  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... So that means no Monkeys.... too bad... Candlekeep would look good in a Monkey Motif... Monkey Funky... (10pts to anyone who can guess or knows were that little phrase came from)
ANyways.. It's of Dracandos... It happens to the best of us....
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!.... sorry couldn't help it...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  14:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was m,y under standing that all ada (mithril) comes from the underdark. When drow use it to make weapons they enchant it, to do other things. The ada itself just gets a nice +1 or higher + to hit and damage due to the weapon HAVING to be masterwork, and the metal is hard and very sharp. Yet if its due to underdark radiation then why is is other races weaponms made of the same matter ( since it all comes from mines and underdark) do not turn to crap in sun light? Its also my job to point out that Ada is also found in 1st ed I do believe. Which could still make it a marvel creation, but then again perhaps just something everyone thought would be cool. Then again I always like to point out how faulty and easy to twink 3rd and 3.5 out is.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2003 :  20:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which other races are you referring to? I wasn't aware that any Underdark races could bring their stuff out onto the surface in daylight.

And I thought that masterwork weapons only gave +1 to hit, not to damage, and didn't count for the purposes of a -/+1 or higher damage reduction.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2003 :  21:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because Adamantite and Adamantine weapons must be Masterwork it gains an inherent +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls.

Also, many races in the Underdark (and Dwarves in general) employ Adamantite in their equipment. As I understand it, it is because it is quite plentiful in the Underdark, like most metals (In general, the deeper you go the larger and more plentiful metal deposits become, I believe). The explaination for why the radiation (the faerzress) caused it to disintegrate had to do with the way the Drow imbued it. I believe they would deliberately expose there weapons to massive levels of faerzress when enchanting it (understand the faerzress is not distributed evenly through out the Underdark, it has strong, weak, and dead areas).

One other thing, Wizards has int heir own special way explained why Drow equipment does not disintegrate any more because of the creation of the "Drowcraft" property for weapons and armor. According the the new regional sourcebook The Underdark it was once quite popular amongst the Drow, but enchanting weapons as "Drowcraft" has become unpopular. Doesn't that just make everything make sense now?

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  09:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you're going to start "pouring out of the Underdark" (as WotC called it) you're not going to want your armor to disintegrate on you. Sure, the drow don't have the same nudity taboos, but I doubt they'd like that to happen in a battle. I can see why "drowcraft" wouldn't be in vogue at the moment.

The first experience I had with the faerzress was in Daughter of the Drow, when Liriel goes to a secret cavern that's humming with it. There, she collects some spider-shuriken that have been soaking up some free enchantment. For obvious reasons, she didn't want this cavern to be known to other drow.

Technically, the dwarves (normal dwarves, that is) are not an Underdark race. The grey dwarves, yes, but not the shield or gold dwarves. The Underdark doesn't start until you're pretty deep down. (Granted, it's a matter of semantics, but that's how it's described.)

Say, come to think of it, does anyone know the deepest recorded part of the Underdark? I was just wondering how far into the mantle it extended. There's got to be a limit to habitability range, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  20:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, I am aware that Dwarves are not technically of the Underdark, that is why Is aid many races of the Underdark (and Dwarves in general), indicating some Dwarven subraces were not of the Underdark. Just a bit of clarification.

Secondly, the lowest portion of the Underdark (according to The Underdark) is the Lowerdark, which begins ten miles below Faerun's surface and basically keeps going down, since it has no recorded ending point. The Lowerdark in harsh and alien place inhabited by truely dark and evil beings. At the point of the Lowerdark you are even too deep for Drow Elves and Dwarves, and most creatures you will find are things like Beholders and Aboleths, creature completely non-humanoid. In the Lowerdark the faerzress in in general non-existant, though there are pockets of it here and there. Also, the Weave is a mess down in the Lowerdark, and Dead Magic areas are common. The Lowerdark has little water and even less food, so most competeion down there is over basic resources. The Lowerdark also has many areas where there is little air or poisonous air, making traveling throught he Lowerdark suicide for those unprepared. Given the inhospitable nature of the Lowerdark, I would say the bottom of the Lowerdark in probably uninhabitable by humanoids.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 07 Dec 2003 20:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  21:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

ok now it says in the drow equip. desc. that their equip. is created using adamantine, an alloy of adamantite that turns 2 dust if removed from the underdark. my ? is...is it the fact that it is created with adamantine that makes it turn 2 dust, or just the way the dark elves enchant their equip?

Actually, I believe (I could be wrong) their equipment turns to dust if it ever is exposed to the sun, it is not tied to the Underdark it is tied to darkness itself
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  21:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me for double posting but what is "the faerzress" Im not familiar with it could someone give a basic run down of what it is?
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  21:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always interpreted it that it was both; that the equipment gradually lost its enchantments away from the Underdark, and that being exposed to sunlight only accelerated the degredation. I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  22:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arteris,

There are places in the depths of the Underdark that emit magic in a way very akin to the radiation of a nuclear reaction, this is called the faerzress. Aside from imbuing armor and weapons (if exposed to sufficiently powerful doses of the radiation) the faerzress also disrupts teleportation and translocation magic while in the Underdark, making it near impossible to teleport into, out of, or around the Underdark. Also, the many magical abilities the Drow posses, as well as their innate magical resistance, are the results of long-term exposure to the faerzress. That is why when Drow Elves go to the surface they lose some of their spell like abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  01:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, thank you very much for the info
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  01:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anytime i can help

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000