Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Shadowfire?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  06:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A slightly scary thought struck me earlier. After I got myself an icepack for the bruise, I figured I'd have to ask.

Could Shar imbue a chosen worshiper with a Shadow Weave version of spellfire?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  18:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean spellfire, or silver fire? Both make sense, as the shadow weave should be able to produce a spellfire-like magic, as the normal weave can, and Shar should be able to give Her Chosen an ability diriving from the SW to mimic the silver fire of Mystra.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, both, actually. I'd forgotten that there were two versions. I haven't read that section for months, since I was hardly likely to use it. Although, I should . . . I just realized it might hold the answer to something I was working on . . . . Hmm.

::Bookwyrm wanders off among the stacks, lost in thought.::

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  21:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that its possible, though the appearance would be much different (ex: spellfire silver, shadowfire black/gray?). Anyways, just a thought.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  22:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
intriguing Bookwyrm, very interesting indeed. a shadow weave version of spellfire...mind if i wander among the vast bookshelves with u in search of an answer or more thought provoking ideas?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems unlikely Shar would do such a thing. While she is mostly likely able too, as has been highlighted int eh past, granted abilities like silverfire involve imbuing a mortal with a small portion of a deity's divine essence, transfering a bit of their power to that mortal. Now, Mystra did this for reasons of her own (some sya to spread magic, others because Ao forced her to), but I see her as more likely to give away power, unlike Shar. Shar is a greedly, evil deity, the king who would not willingly give away a portion of her power to a mortal, it would harm her position. So unless she is forced (much as some contend Mystra was) I doubt she would invest any mortal with such power. Also, one must recognize an individual who she would imbue with such a power would be evil, and thus bearing some likelyhood of betrayed Shar and maiing her regret her choice. So, is it possible, yes. Likely, I don't think so.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:40:31  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Edain. Unlike Shar, Mystra spreads her magic and magical items throughout Faerun for present and future mages to discover so magic would be around forever. Shar doesn't even have a Chosen, which also shows how she doesn't really trust or reward mortals.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  01:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I agree with Edain. Unlike Shar, Mystra spreads her magic and magical items throughout Faerun for present and future mages to discover so magic would be around forever.

n that is y the Goddess of Magic is so great!

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  02:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, Bookwyrm, I hope you don't mind, but I used our Shadowfire Idea on my Chosen of Vhaeraun template....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  02:46:28  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this almost two years ago. It is user-made though.

http://halfling.org/dnd/downloads/shadowfire.pdf
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  02:49:23  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the main reason would be that Shar's unwilling to make a bold attempt to promote her magic.

Abilities like Silverfire can be taken back by will of the deity, so I don't see how it will endanger Shar's position.

Lastly, not all deities' chosen are known, especially the Goddess of Secret's.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  02:54:08  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ywhtptgtfo, yes a deity is able to take back abilities like silverfire yet they have to give some of their own powers to their followers to give them abilities at the start. Some selfish and evil gods are unwilling to do that because they don't even trust their own worshipers or they are just power-hungry. Also, are you sure Shar even has a Chosen? I've never heard of it anywhere, not even in the Faiths and Pantheons Manual.

Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  18:08:36  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A deity can take back his or her invested powers, I believe.

WoTC can't possibly announce ALL chosens of ALL gods. The reason why Mystra's chosens are so well-known is that Ed Greenwood loves to talk about them.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  22:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ywhtptgtfo

A deity can take back his or her invested powers, I believe.

aye, i believe so aswell

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  00:06:10  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ywhtptgtfo, FR manuals are different than the WotC. The manuals have detailed info on whatever they about. The Faiths and Pantheons manual would have all the current info on all the deities in the Faerunian Pantheon, including their Chosens (if they have any).

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  21:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

ywhtptgtfo, yes a deity is able to take back abilities like silverfire yet they have to give some of their own powers to their followers to give them abilities at the start. Some selfish and evil gods are unwilling to do that because they don't even trust their own worshipers or they are just power-hungry. Also, are you sure Shar even has a Chosen? I've never heard of it anywhere, not even in the Faiths and Pantheons Manual.

Faiths and Pantheons page 173. Though not a true "Chosen", Volumvax has obtained a sliver of Divinity (Divine Rank 0) for his faithful service of Shar.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  08:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do all the deities of the Realms pantheon have these servants with a DR0?. Are they petitioners, or proxies?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  09:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not likely. And they are neither proxies(which have one divine rank) or petitioners(which have had the petitioner template applied to them).
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  09:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, then where can I find this 'petitioner' template?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  10:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manual of the Planes or Deities and Demigods.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  02:21:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Do all the deities of the Realms pantheon have these servants with a DR0?. Are they petitioners, or proxies?.

It depends upon the edition of the D&D game in which you play. 2e Planescape went in-depth to detail a number of servants for most deities who resided in the Great Wheel cosmology, and I think if brought forward into 3e rules would probably qualify for a DR of 0. However, these servants only featured prominently in the various PS tomes, and I don't think I ever recall reading about them in another setting's series of tomes.

As for the petitioner/proxied question, well, Arivia pretty much already covered that. Although it wouldn't hurt for you to look through some of my PS deity tomes for a more generalised idea about deities and their relationship to the various campaign worlds...especially since such a feature is regularly used in my FR games.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  04:17:01  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, as greedy as Shar is, We do believe that she could create and distrubute such things... The only one we think that would be considered worthy of such a grand Gift would be Alorgoth, Bringer of Doom ( Pg 250, subheading in FR:CS). So, yes, Shar more than likely has the ability and perhaps already has granted such a gift. After all, Spellfire isn't given lightly, so we doubt that Shadowfire would be easier... pehaps even harder to obtain... Remember Shar is a jealous and bitter deity... but not stupid. We would follow her if not for the tiny thing about not being allowed to better one's own lot.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PyrateJenni
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  02:19:27  Show Profile  Visit PyrateJenni's Homepage Send PyrateJenni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar may be evil and greedy, but that doesn't mean she's not willing to make sacrifices -- or take actions that may seem to be "not in her personality" -- for her long-term goals.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." -- Tom Clancy_
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  09:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To give my two cents worth on a topic long exhausted.

I agree with Edain Shadowstar about Shar's reluctance to imbue mortals with Silverfire. As for spellfire....Shadow Weave is particularly weak in evocation. Is spellfire evocative or conjurative? I lean towards evocative, because it creates a flame that is part fire/raw magic. If so, this "shadowfire" will be weaker, which worth suck. Unless you guys are thinking of a necromantic version of spellfire -- shadow weave raw magic = oblivion.

(Someone is going to say spellfire breaks down spells into raw magic, which would make spellfire transmutative. But I cannot imagine any physical body storing raw fire and magic within. I believe its more like we store the potential and the actual energy is elsewhere and we evoke it when needed.)

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  13:23:57  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Actually, as greedy as Shar is, We do believe that she could create and distrubute such things... The only one we think that would be considered worthy of such a grand Gift would be Alorgoth, Bringer of Doom ( Pg 250, subheading in FR:CS). So, yes, Shar more than likely has the ability and perhaps already has granted such a gift. After all, Spellfire isn't given lightly, so we doubt that Shadowfire would be easier... pehaps even harder to obtain... Remember Shar is a jealous and bitter deity... but not stupid. We would follow her if not for the tiny thing about not being allowed to better one's own lot.

I agree with the ways you have portrayed Shar. However, it would probably be pretty fitting for her to grant such gifts as non-reusable gifts. Possibly not informing the grantee of the fact that it will run out. Perhaps it must be fueled through sacrifices that become more and more costly. Think of it as a drug, the first few uses seem to be free, but eventually the pursuit of it begins to cost more and more until the pursuit of it completely takes over the life of a wielder of it.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  18:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord, where does it say that the Shadow Weave is weak in evocation? I haven't observed shadow mages being hesitant in throwing fireballs and lightning bolts when the need arises.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  22:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never said anything about the Shadow Weave being weak in Evocation. Look more closely at the name of the posters, Sourcemaster.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  23:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thousand pardons, Shadowlord. I was of course referring to the post made by Alrunes Sinethal.

Go to Top of Page

Veszaun Auvryath
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  23:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Veszaun Auvryath's Homepage Send Veszaun Auvryath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, not sure if there have been any updates recently, but the central plot of the Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters novel was Shar trying to gain the secrets of Silverfire from the Chosen -- through Halaster, that is, using him as a tool to bring it all about, as he wanted the secret as well. ( As of Elminster In Hell this has changed for Halaster, of course )

I agree with the other matters of discussion, as well, in that I doubt Shar would be overly willing to give up portions of her power as Mystra does. Though one never knows, at least not until WotC puts it in print

We too began toying with the idea of Shadowfyre in our campaign a couple years back, but haven't done much of anything with it. Having taken the information from the Silverfall novel into account, we incorporated it as something very erratic and dangerous to the wielder to use, as Shar hadn't been able to perfect it yet.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any recent updates in novels or game products dealing with this subject, please let me know, very interested in it.

"You scoff at the notion of a drow Bladesinger? My, my. How very foolish of you to believe that the Ilythiiri did not possess the secrets of the Bladesong in ages long past. A select few of us have carried a twisted rendition of the 'Song down through the generations. Now, bearing that in mind, will you wipe that ridiculous look of incredulity from your face, or must the keen edge of my blade do it for you?"
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Shadowlord, where does it say that the Shadow Weave is weak in evocation? I haven't observed shadow mages being hesitant in throwing fireballs and lightning bolts when the need arises.

I can answer: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or Player's Guide to Faerun, under the Shadow Weave Magic feat description (also see the Insidious, Tenacious, and Pernicious Spell feats). Using the Shadow Weave weakens your Evocation and Transmutation spells, except for the Darkness subschool, while boosting your Enchantment, Illusion and Necromancy ones (I personally think it should also hamper Divination, something to do with Shar being Goddess of Secrets, but let's keep it like that - the feat's already underpowered as it is). I don't know about any novel references to this effect, but then, I haven't read that many FR tales.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  05:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm inclined to agree. Not about divination spells -- a goddess of secrets might also encourage her followers to find out other peoples secrets -- but in regards to the underpoweredness of it. I think it should actually give +1 caster level to illusions and darkness spells, at the very least.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000