Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Dave Gross
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  19:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Dave Gross, whos works include: Black Wolf and Lord of Stormweather from the Sembia Series.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  00:32:45  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Gross, as Mistress of the Night will be coming out later this year, could you give us any tidbits about the novel or a general summery?

Also, after Mistress of the Night, do you have any other Forgotten Realms work down the road?

Also, I want to thank you for a great job on Lord of Stormweather, a great end to a great series.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  01:58:05  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.I liked Lord of Stormweather also.Mr.Gross.Is there any plans to bring back Tamlin in a novel???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  04:10:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I agree.I liked Lord of Stormweather also.Mr.Gross.Is there any plans to bring back Tamlin in a novel???

He makes an appearance in Twilight Falling, the first book in the Erevis Cale trilogy by Paul Kemp. Granted, that's not written by Mr. Gross, but it was nice to see the character again.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  15:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

Mr. Gross, as Mistress of the Night will be coming out later this year, could you give us any tidbits about the novel or a general summery?

Also, after Mistress of the Night, do you have any other Forgotten Realms work down the road?

Thanks for the kind words and the questions. I'll give you a better reply in a few weeks, because I'm absurdly busy at the moment. In brief, Mistress of the Night is about what happens when an excessively violent priestess of Selune, Feena, and an excessively violent swordsman, Radu Malveen, come in on opposite sides of a conflict involving the cult of Shar. It's set in Yhaunn, Sembia.

I'll contribute a story to Realms of the Dragons. That's all I've got planned at the moment, other than a really long nap.

Oh, and Mr. Gross is still my grandfather. Please feel free to call me Dave.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  15:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

No plans at the moment. I once had an idea for a story set a few years after the Sembia series and using many of the characters from those books in a Shogun-sized epic involving noble houses, temples, and other power brokers from all over the country. Tamlin would have been a major player in that story.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  15:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Gross

Thanks for the kind words and the questions. I'll give you a better reply in a few weeks, because I'm absurdly busy at the moment. In brief, Mistress of the Night is about what happens when an excessively violent priestess of Selune, Feena, and an excessively violent swordsman, Radu Malveen, come in on opposite sides of a conflict involving the cult of Shar. It's set in Yhaunn, Sembia.

Oh my god, a blast from the past!! Radu Malveen and Feena of Sembia-fame?! Wow, now im looking forward to Mistress of Night more than I was already!! Cant wait for this one!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  16:33:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No plans at the moment. I once had an idea for a story set a few years after the Sembia series and using many of the characters from those books in a Shogun-sized epic involving noble houses, temples, and other power brokers from all over the country. Tamlin would have been a major player in that story.

Oh, know that sounds very promising. Once had? Did WOTC turn this story idea down?

Thanks for the replies to the questions on this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  18:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Oh, know that sounds very promising. Once had? Did WOTC turn this story idea down?

Thanks for the replies to the questions on this thread.

Oh, no--I didn't mean to give that impression. I haven't pitched the idea; I only sketched out a few notes and put them in my "Ideas" folder. I did, however, tell editor Phil Athans the two titles I wanted to call dibs on.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  03:22:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, no--I didn't mean to give that impression. I haven't pitched the idea; I only sketched out a few notes and put them in my "Ideas" folder. I did, however, tell editor Phil Athans the two titles I wanted to call dibs on.

You didn't and my apologies. The tense confused me and my mind automatically leaped to the darkest conclusion. Glad to see that it's still a possibility one day in the distant future. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  07:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In brief, Mistress of the Night is about what happens when an excessively violent priestess of Selune, Feena, and an excessively violent swordsman, Radu Malveen, come in on opposite sides of a conflict involving the cult of Shar. It's set in Yhaunn, Sembia.

Wow! From whose side will we walk this story? I really 'liked' Radu, so I hope he will be the protagonist.

quote:

Ah, you authors. You know how hard it is to call someone you admire so much by his first name? So, DAVE, is it a common fetish amongst FR authors to be called their first name?

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  18:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome to call me "Mr. Franklin."

Putting the "Mr." in front is not only formal, but very old sounding. Being only 30 myself, I don't like feeling old, even if I am 10 or more years older than most of my future readers.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 25 Feb 2004 23:17:18
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  05:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In brief, Mistress of the Night is about what happens when an excessively violent priestess of Selune, Feena, and an excessively violent swordsman, Radu Malveen, come in on opposite sides of a conflict involving the cult of Shar. It's set in Yhaunn, Sembia.

I'll contribute a story to Realms of the Dragons. That's all I've got planned at the moment, other than a really long nap.

Whatever you say, DAVE. Anyways, please refer to the spoiler below.

SPOILER (Highlight Area)
Radu Malveen's face is extra crispy, and char-broiled right now. I always wondered why he didn't get healed by a cleric. I'd like to ask the author his perspective on this. I know that some Realmsian characters are adverse to magical healing. Is Radu among them?
END OF SPOILER

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  19:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
SPOILER (Highlight Area)
Radu Malveen's face is extra crispy, and char-broiled right now. I always wondered why he didn't get healed by a cleric. I'd like to ask the author his perspective on this. I know that some Realmsian characters are adverse to magical healing. Is Radu among them?
END OF SPOILER

An astute question! And one that is answered in Mistress of the Night. I oughtn't spoil it here.

On the "mister" business, I suppose most people enjoy the formality of a title. If I absolutely must have one, I prefer "Master and Commander."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  20:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, too bad. I guess I'll just have to wait.....

Whatever yousay, Master and Commander.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  23:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Moonbow
Wow! From whose side will we walk this story? I really 'liked' Radu, so I hope he will be the protagonist.

Both sides, alternately, for most of the story. Then something happens.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  04:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I do hope that whatever that "something" is, it does not affect Radu that much.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  05:14:35  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for answering my questions Mr. Gro....eh Dave. Its hard to get rid of habits of how to refer to people inserted in you since your early youth.

I look foward to Mistress of the Night with more anticipation now. I am also glad that many of the characters from the Sembia series are still be used in new novels.

Edited by - CurseLord on 27 Feb 2004 05:15:26
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  16:43:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
On the "mister" business, I suppose most people enjoy the formality of a title. If I absolutely must have one, I prefer "Master and Commander."

Master and Commander? Hmm, sure you are not writing about Loviatar?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  18:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
*Suddenly has fears that Mr. Athans has Dave is writing an alternate manuscript for Maiden "just in case" . . .* ;)

Considering the genre that title is associated with, I'd think Umberlee would be more appropriate.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

stevem
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  23:41:11  Show Profile  Visit stevem's Homepage Send stevem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Master and Commander" is an old British naval rank. One step below Captain. It is also the title of a truly excellent book by Patrick O'Brein, which kicked off a very good series and has a passing relationship with the movie starring Russell Crowe.

I suspect that Dave was referring to all of the above when selecting his title. Personally, I prefer "Admiral of the Fleet", but then I'm power hungry and greedy. I want a share of all prize money, even if I didn't earn it

Having said all that, I am looking forward to your new book. The Black Wolf and Lord of Stormweather were the best of the Sembia series. I think they should give Radu and Tal their own series, much like that wanna be Ervis Cale.

Steve Moss
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  00:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But, Mister Kameron, Veronica Whitney-Robinson is already writing about Umberlee in the Queen of the Depths.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  18:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Dave. I greatly enjoyed both of your Sembia books. All the characters were very intriguing. Which reminds me, will Talbot return someday to continue his prowlings as a Black Wolf?

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  05:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings Dave. I greatly enjoyed both of your Sembia books. All the characters were very intriguing. Which reminds me, will Talbot return someday to continue his prowlings as a Black Wolf?

As a matter of fact, yes. Talbot returns in a short story included in Realms of the Dragons, which I believe is to be released in October.

I'm glad you liked the books. Thanks for the kind words.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  06:42:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As a matter of fact, yes. Talbot returns in a short story included in Realms of the Dragons, which I believe is to be released in October.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he's doing since we last gazed upon him.
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  18:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to ask as to when Mistress is supposed to be released? Amazon had it originally slated for Aug 31, but now for Nov 30. The WOTC products page says Sept. I was hoping you'd be able to clear this up for us. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  02:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now I just saw on the WOTC that Mistress is slated for December.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2004 :  20:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Gross, I really enjoyed your story in Halls of Stormweather. Yours and Mr. Kemp's were the two best. But, now that I'm about to start reading the Sembia Series, I see that you wrote the book about Tamlin instead of Clayton Emery (I hated his story--his writing style was just really simple and not good at all) and so I was wondering why you wrote the Tamlin novel isntead of him? I mean, I'm certain it'll be MUCH better than originally expected since you're writing it and not him.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  16:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Mr. Gross, I really enjoyed your story in Halls of Stormweather. Yours and Mr. Kemp's were the two best. But, now that I'm about to start reading the Sembia Series, I see that you wrote the book about Tamlin instead of Clayton Emery ... and so I was wondering why you wrote the Tamlin novel isntead of him? ...

Thanks for the kind words, Valondil. Clayt had other obligations and could not write the Tamlin novel at the time it came around on the schedule, so Phil Athans and Peter Archer asked me to consider taking it on. After talking it over with them as well as Ed Greenwood and Paul Kemp, I got some fun ideas and decided to go for it. It was a very rewarding experience, in large part because it gave me a great excuse to interact again with the other Sembians.

The same thing happened to me in reverse this year; before I finished Mistress of the Night, the rest of my life exploded with (good) activity, and I couldn't complete it. Phil coaxed Don Bassingthwaite, about whose work I hear only wonderful things, onto the project.

A side effect of this change is that the chapters originally including Radu Malveen are gone. Don removed those and added his own characters--an important step in making the book his own--but kept the other half of the story in place while weaving in his new material. The result, I suspect, having not yet read the completed book, is ultimately more his than mine, and I'm grateful to him for stepping in when I had to step down.

Such has been my book karma.

My next writing apart from Amazing Stories and the occasional review will be for the computer game company Bioware. After figuring out how much free time that job allows me, I'll decide on my next novel. There are three or four outlines sitting in my ideas folder, and I've been leaning toward a big fantasy novel with way, way too many point-of-view characters, even though I know that'd be pretty daunting.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  17:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A side effect of this change is that the chapters originally including Radu Malveen are gone. Don removed those and added his own characters--an important step in making the book his own--but kept the other half of the story in place while weaving in his new material. The result, I suspect, having not yet read the completed book, is ultimately more his than mine, and I'm grateful to him for stepping in when I had to step down.

NNNNOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!! Tell me this aint so! Will Radu not feature in the book at all now? I've been looking forward to reading about Radu again for so long

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  17:32:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Such has been my book karma.

Thank you for giving everyone an update on the novel's contents. I'd like to add that both yourself and Don Bassingthwaite have handled the situation with a great deal of class. I know many fans don't care about that, but I always like to see it.

quote:

I'll decide on my next novel. There are three or four outlines sitting in my ideas folder, and I've been leaning toward a big fantasy novel with way, way too many point-of-view characters, even though I know that'd be pretty daunting.

Would this possible big fantasy novel be set in the Realms? Another shared world? Or a world of your own creation?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to our questions.

SB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000