Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for R A Salvatore
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  18:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - R A Salvatore, whos works include: The Dark Elf Trilogy, The Legacy, The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Cleric Quintet and overall most famous for his creation of the drow, Drizzt Do'Urden.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message
Greetings!

mr.Salvatore, do you think that I, if you are not to busy of course, can have a interwiew with you?
It wont take long, just name a time. 4-5 min. would be enough. If you can spare that time I would been ever so greatful

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  21:03:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
In a recent post, RAS asked that questions be directed to him at the message board on www.rasalvatore.com, on the most recent interactive thread. He does massive catch-up-on-questions posts every week or so. Here's a link:

http://pub34.ezboard.com/brasalvatoreforums

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 12 Feb 2004 21:04:57
Go to Top of Page

BobSalvatore
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  19:10:55  Show Profile  Visit BobSalvatore's Homepage
Hello, just dropping by for an anouncement or three.

First, "The Highwayman" is apparently out in some stores. Too early, but what's an author to do? We're still running the e-signing at www.rasalvatore.com, so if you want to get one autographed and personalized, drop on by (the webmaster is great at these - the books will ship in mid-March, without fail).
FYI: The Highwayman is set in my DemonWar's world, but is a stand-alone book. You need not have read anything before it. There is also a brand new Drizzt short story in the novel - thank you, WotC!

Second, the new hardcover edition of "Homeland" is also being offered at the e-signing. This book will be out next month; the new cover art is gorgeous.

Third, apparently Paths of Darkness is out in the stores, as well (big couple of months here for me!). It's in hardcover, comprised of the 4 "s" books: Silent Blade, Spine of the World, Servant of the Shard and Sea of Swords. Ssssssssssss. Hey, it wasn't my idea!

So there you go.

To answer the question, you've got to be more specific about "an interview". An interview for what, may I ask?

Scimitars high,

RASalvatore
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  19:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message
Forgett it, I found out that it was not so important.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  22:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Yup, I picked up Paths of Darkness Collectors Edition last Saturday - one of the best collections of the Realms A good varied set of stories - Spine of the World grows on me more every day, I love it!

Bob - Just curious and I know its very very early days, but do you expect WotC will wish to produce a Collectors Edition for The Hunters Blade Trilogy?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  22:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
....which has reminded me of something I heard some time ago...

There was rumor of a new trilogy you were to write regarding the adventures of Artemis Entreri... is there any truth to the rumor?

What are your current\future developments with WotC and FR?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  03:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
I myself would like to see more Entreri/Jarlaxle in the future. Any hope of that?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  08:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message
What about putting some Avariels in one of your books? As we have discussed here we think that the Avariels should be returned. This is really something I think all Forgotten Realms™ writers should do.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  15:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
The avariel have already been mentioned in a few books, namely within the Sembia series, and since they are supposed to be this whimsical and flighty group of elves who are quite reclusive, featuring many of them would decrease the "mystery" factor. Remember, the avariel are a small group of elves, compared to sun, drow, moon, wood, and wild elves.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  15:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message
Well he could make a character that is a Avariel.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  22:50:58  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message
Making a new book about a completely new character would just draw Mr Salvatore's attention away from his other brilliant characters. So that would mean less books about them. An author can only write so much
Anyways, good work on all your realms books so far Mr Salvatore. I am like a little boy in a huge candy store when I read your books. I just want more and more. I really think the Hunter's Blade Trilogy is brilliant. Orc and Dwarf warfare at its best really. The stunt the orcs pulled when they wanted to secure the tunnels in "The Lone Drow" had me smiling all my way to bed I cant remember waiting for a book with as high expectations as I am now. I wish "The Two Swords" would be here now. I can hardly wait, and I think I will be forced to buy it in hardcover just to please my hunger

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Heath Harper aka "Arion"
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  03:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Heath Harper aka Send Heath Harper aka
For those who must know, I USUALLY post as Arion Elenim...

This post will be long...sorry, fellow scribes!

First of all Mr. Salvatore, thank you so very much for hooking me in to the Forgotten Realms. I've been a reader of yours for ten years now, and have found no end of enjoyment reading (and re-reading, for that matter) your many works. Part of why I'm pursuing writing myself owes a GREAT deal of thanks to you. Oh, and your work has been "the gateway drug" that introduced me to the Realms as a whole (Cunningham, Denning, all the good stuff)...so if I spend too much time running around in the bookstore or locked in my study working on my next attempt at a novel (Alaundo, I'll have it up soon I SWEAR!), then it's entirely your fault and my loved ones would like to have a word with you.

Whew...boot-licking accomplished, on to my questions...

First of all, how much (if any) inspiration for the Drizzt series has come from current events? While I do feel that the themes throughout his adventures are completely timeless and can apply to any generation, I find that my own writings stem (at least in tone) from what's going on in the "real-world", and it seems difficult to not allow that influence to find its way into your work.

My second and third queries are a bit more specific, so excuse me if I once again put on my "dork-glasses" for a moment...

Could one argue that, in effect, Lloth (or Lolth - I'll ask about that later,) has no REAL sentimental or even base, logical attachments to Menzoberranzan? It seems that while she is concerned about the doings of the city as far as goes her own enjoyment in tormenting them, throughout your novels she seems to defy Ao's decree that all deities must more or less "care for" or even love their worshippers...I am REALLY enjoying the "what if Lloth actually FAVORS Drizzt" theory (which I sure hope will be expanded upon), but am having trouble wrapping my head around where she stands, or is SUPPOSED to stand...

Lastly, in the early days of the forums here at Candlekeep, I became semi-famous for my incessant complaints about pronunciation changes in your novels. For example, Lloth became Lolth, Tempos became Tempus and Zaknafien became Zak'Nafien. Did these later titles just sound/look better, or was there another rhyme or reason for the changes?

It is such a pleasure to count myself amongst your fans, Mr. Salvatore. I hope that you continue to please us all with your works, as you have been an inspiration to the modern fantasy writer and enthusiast.

Edited by - Heath Harper aka "Arion" on 20 Feb 2004 03:57:16
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  00:43:22  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message
I'm not so great with the compliments like Arion here, Mr. Salvatore, so I'll just say that I really love your works (that I've read so far - I'm reading Streams of Silver but got sidetracked with various other things, including Beowulf, the great Anglo-Saxon epic, which ties in with one of my questions) and ask my questions.

1. What exactly was your role in the War of the Spider Queen project? (I saw your name on the inside cover but didn't understand what you were being credited for.)

2. I'm reading the one volume collectors' editions of your Drizzt books for the first time, and the Icewind Dale Trilogy seems to be an early one mentioned in your foreword to the Dark Elf Trilogy one -
and their seem to be a couple of plotholes. What does Drizzt do to summon Errtu in the edit, since I don't recall him learning the demon's true name in Homeland?

3. Did you get your barbarian names from Beowulf? There is actually a "Wulfgar" in it (and it means something like "wolf-spear"), and there are various other names such as King Hrothgar's mead hall of Heorot (Hengorot?).

4. Does Guenhwyvar's name come from a certain old name for King Arthur's bride? I know it's the name of your cat, but where did that come from? Is it just a cool name?

Aluve. Or not.

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  03:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Mind if I answer two of those?

In The Crystal Shard, Drizzt used reverie to revisit memories of Menzoberranzan, where he had once overheard the demon's true name. It doesn't say how he'd done so, but I suspect it was while a wizard or cleric was using it to control the demon. Since elves (and dark elves) never forget anything, he could pick it out.

As well, Guenhwyvar's name actually means Guinevere. He didn't make a mistake on that one, although according to Realms of Magic, it means Shadow in High Elvish.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  09:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Bob

Im looking forward to picking up the new Homeland release. Looks great and the annotations im sure will be very informative. By the way, are the annotations hand-written in margins etc? How are they presented?

My main question is, how far do you\WotC intend to take the new releases for the Legend of Drizzt series? Will it stop at Sojourn or continue following slowly behind ALL Drizzt novels?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:09:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Rad, most WotC annotated novels have their notes printed in the margins adjacent to the relevant portions of the text. It's seems unlikely that they would change this policy with regard to the Legend of Drizzt release.

However, one thing I am curious about is whether these books will contain any interesting author appendices on special sections of the novel, again another WotC technique for annotated works...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

I myself would like to see more Entreri/Jarlaxle in the future. Any hope of that?

I would also like to see Entreri/Jarlaxle to have a whole book of their own. I've read the best of the realms story and though not bad, I just think that they have potential to star a book/trilogy or so.
(Not that Drizzt lacks any potential)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Rad, most WotC annotated novels have their notes printed in the margins adjacent to the relevant portions of the text. It's seems unlikely that they would change this policy with regard to the Legend of Drizzt release.

However, one thing I am curious about is whether these books will contain any interesting author appendices on special sections of the novel, again another WotC technique for annotated works...?

Thanks Sage. I assume being the DL fan that you are that you are refering to annotated novels from that series? I never picked up more than the odd DL boxed set myself. Are the annotations down well, in your opinion, and interesting? I understand it depends on the individual author but just wondered on an overall opinion.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Bob is in North Carolina and won't be home to read threads until mid-April, you may wanna know.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  05:42:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Thanks Sage. I assume being the DL fan that you are that you are refering to annotated novels from that series? I never picked up more than the odd DL boxed set myself. Are the annotations down well, in your opinion, and interesting? I understand it depends on the individual author but just wondered on an overall opinion.

The Annotated Chronicles and Legends only increased my overall enjoyment of both of these classic novel series. In my opinion, most of the notes, and author's thoughts, were not only wide-ranging in content and subject, but also informative, and even sometimes quite humorous.

I'm a little biased in my opinion though, because I've always been a big fan of annotated novels (sometimes even textbooks) regardless of the publisher.

Of special note, was the addition of several appendices in both of the collector's editions of the DL series. They served to explain a lot of the background behind the creation of the stories, and even gave the reader a unique insight some of the more difficult-to-understand portions of the novel (like how a Kender is allowed to float through the River of Time given their origins with the Greygem...).

I do indeed hope that the Legend of Drizzt Annotated Series adds to the already classic tradition that WotC seems interested in setting with these special editions...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  03:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message
Mr. Salvatore,
There are a couple of difficulties I have in pronounceing names in your books. Names like Pikel, Catti-brie, Alustriel, and other commonly mispelled names.
Scimitars High
Thank you

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  06:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message
Mr Salvatore, if this reply indeed even sees the light of your eyes, i would like to say that your books are fanatastic, your writing style, unsurpassed. I hope one day i can emulate this genius that you possess - for you are truly gifted.
I enjoy sketching your fantastic characters (drizzt and friends - and enemies!) aswell as reading about their adventures...
Please Mr Salvatore, it would indeed intrigue me to find out more about Artemis Entreri - his past, future and present exploits, for this character is truly a work of art, i cannot put what i want to say into mere words, and if i could, it would take many pages.
Indeed i thought it impossible to "talk" with such a man as yourself, but thanks to these forums, which i joined not long ago and your partaking in them, i can achieve the "impossible".

Deepest Gratitudes from the Greatest fan!

we...are...legion

Edited by - Charon on 07 Apr 2004 03:41:58
Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  11:50:18  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message
hmmmm...
seems my post was deleted.

so i understand that my question was a bit too hot............

even fantasy has itīs limits
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  12:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Dantrag, Bob has answered these pronunciation questions a lot. Pikel is PIKE-el, from memory Catti-brie is CA-tee BREE, Alustriel (not one of Bob's names) is a-LUS-tri-el.

(You spelled all those right, but misspelled 'misspelled'.)

Edited by - Faraer on 07 Apr 2004 16:26:37
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  15:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fanatic

hmmmm...
seems my post was deleted.

so i understand that my question was a bit too hot............

Well met

Indeed, fanatic. I removed your pennings, no offence intended, but I don't believe it was the place to discuss such topics

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sturm
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  05:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Sturm's Homepage Send Sturm a Private Message
Holy i can't believe Mr.Salvatore actually replies on these web site's thats crazy!! it's cool that the aithor replies to fans to i have read every single book of your since i was 13 and now im 14 and im quoting someone not sure but here I am like a little boy in a huge candy store when I read your books. I just want more and more. It's awesoem i have been kind of side tracked by the Dragonlance novels though.... i have read all the forgotten realms books based in drizzits and cadderly's world i loved the cadderly books best please make more but yah anyways cant wait till the two swords come out!! thank you for these books Mr.Salvatore

I am the one and only.
Go to Top of Page

Sturm
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  05:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Sturm's Homepage Send Sturm a Private Message
Man a lot of spelling problems sorry for the bad grammer i was in a hurry.....

I am the one and only.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  22:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message
Mr.Salvatore I have recently read the Dark Elf Trilogy and am nearing it's end I would just like to say it was fantastic the way you described Drizzt's feelings and emotions. I am also amazed at the villians they truly give a sense of reality to your books.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Aglarondian
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  03:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Aglarondian's Homepage Send Aglarondian a Private Message
Mr. Salvatore(or Bob if you prefer) I've simply fallen in love with Drizz't and Artemis (bad thing cause they keep fighting in my head) but I noticed in the first release (3.0) D&D FR Core Book Artemis is a higher level than that of our Dark Knight Drizz't how is it that Drizz't can foil him so easily(or so it seems). I'm not trying to put down your writing or anything so dont be offended please. Were you even contacted about the levels in the FRCB or not? Is there a more updated book out to date or will there be soon?

Thamior Xiloscient
Spellfire Wielder
Follower of Mystra
"Just because I've taught you everything you know, does not constitute in anyway that I've taught you all I know"
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  16:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage
Not Bob, but thought I could shed some light on the level disparity, and seeing as how Mr. Salvatore doesn't get by here all that often, you might be waiting a while for an answer otherwise. ;)

If you remember, drow have a level adjustment due to their racial abilities. Thus, Drizzt's character levels would be lower than a similarly powered human character.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000