Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  23:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks got the info on the creatures a few months back, but reposted for the remaining info just out of curiosity and forgot to edit the original post. Thx to all responding.
Go to Top of Page

Waldham
Seeker

83 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  16:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Waldham's Homepage Send Waldham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello , Mister Richard Baker

I have a question about the illithid tamer PrC in Underdark with illithid-kin racial requirement.

If a character has the feats : illithid heritage and illithid grapple(described in Complete Psionic), can the character become a illithid tamer ?

Thanks for your future answer.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  00:11:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, do you remember why Zokir (beholder city where the famous elder orb Vaxall comes from) was not mentioned in 3E Underdark ?

It was described in great details in Drizz't Guide to Underdark and I was surprised to find not even a small blurb / site on map.

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 May 2006 00:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  04:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rich. The Last Mythal Trilogy was a fun read. I was treated to a fantastic lore packed adventure spanning the breadth of Faerûn, the Underdark, and beyond. I haven't enjoyed a realms trilogy this much in years. I eagerly look forward to hearing about your next projects.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  04:36:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick question, Rich, about the ship of Evermeet that Amlaruil used to visit Seveiril. It has been suggested that it is a spelljammer, though I'm more inclined to think it's a special kind of flying ship that is tied to moonlight. Can you offer more clarification on what, exactly, it is?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:30:23  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A quick question, Rich, about the ship of Evermeet that Amlaruil used to visit Seveiril. It has been suggested that it is a spelljammer, though I'm more inclined to think it's a special kind of flying ship that is tied to moonlight. Can you offer more clarification on what, exactly, it is?

Oh, Wooly... you know he's giving us a 'silent sneak peak'... don't go and force his NDA hand 'just like that'... be more hamsterish in your inquisitions I say!
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  02:28:12  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker,

What became of Malkizid at the end of The Last Myth Drannor series? Also how did Malkizid know ELVEN mythal spells?

Those questions aside, I absolutely loved The Last Mythal trilogy and thought that it was a great relief from the standard "retreating, weakening, and vanishing elves of Faerun" view. Is it possible that Araevin will be featured in another novel?

Thank you for your time in answering these questions.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  08:06:28  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I finished the final part of The Last Mythal trilogy about seven minutes ago--
Amazing.

I especially liked the Epilogue. Please make an effort to drop a mention here and there of important events, timeline, and noteworthy characters in FR gaming products...I'm sure you will, but I just wanted to add the emphasis, because nothing irks me more than when important novel events get missed in timeline/regional information entries, etc.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  05:55:08  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to drop a quick message and thank you for the Final Gate. I could not have been happier with the outcome of this novel. I realize that this was a huge task and I think that you pulled it all together quite well. I look foward to seeing what future holds for our "new couple" and for a RPG source book to accompany the events of this novel.
The only thing I'm going to have to disagree with you on is that I think my NY Mets are going to take it this year . Seriously though, from a newer FR fan who has read a good amount of realms classics, the Last Mythal trilogy is my favorite. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

The only thing I'm going to have to disagree with you on is that I think my NY Mets are going to take it this year .

Or the Yankees.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  09:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Rich what are the new classes in Tome of Battle like? (particularly interested in the Crusader class)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  17:08:19  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
who cares about the mets, forza italia!

ahem...back on topic, what is this tome of battle supposed to be like?

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  13:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm Mr.Baker, i was wondering where else is the Pale Sybil mentioned? and if she isn't, could u give a brief introduction of this weirdly cool, magic sucking character
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Baker!
I have some questions to you about LM series.
I havent read The Last Mythal series yet but unfortunately i heard some spoilers about it. I heard that in LM trilogy Grand Mage of Evermeet is Breithel Olithir. I feel little confused because in novel Evermeet and in sourcebook Evermeet Grand Mage of Evermeet was Laeroth Runemaster. So I'm asking what happened to Laeroth and why you have decided to make Breithel Olithir Grand Mage?
My second question is how powerfull is Breithel Olithir? How many levels he has?
My last question is about characters from LM trilogy. Will they be described somewhere?
In some new sourcebook or in WotC web site or elsewhere?

Sorry for my englisch.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:45:44  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late answer; I've been on vacation for the last 3+ weeks.

I imagined the ship as an enchanted seagoing vessel, not a spelljammer. I didn't really have any particular magical properties in mind, other than the idea that the ship could travel great distances in a short time by sailing on moonlit water. I don't think it was really a "teleport ship" effect as much as it would be a sort of "shadow walk" effect based on sailing in moonlight... someone aboard the ship would perceive dimly the lands/seas they were passing over/through, and it wouldn't be instantaneous.

Hope that helps!

quote:

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:51:55  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I created the Pale Sybil for the story; she isn't mentioned anywhere else. However, a couple of the key components behind the Sybil appear in the FR sourcebook "Underdark," which I worked on extensively. For example, the abyss known as Lorosfyr is a place I created for that book. Bruce Cordell invented the Deep Imaskari, and I riffed on that by positing that a Deep Imaskari "sister city" might have been the cause of the mysterious ruins and terrible stairs found in the abyss.

When working on that part of Final Gate, I decided to put on my "A. Merritt" hat. Merritt wrote a number of stories about people going into fantastic hidden lands and worlds and confronting horrendous, inhuman evil; for example, "The Moon Pool," "The Metal Monster," "Dwellers in the Mirage," or "The People of the Pit." I like to pay homage to the Golden Age masters when I can. Lorosfyr and the Pale Sybil didn't fall far from the tree.

quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

Ummm Mr.Baker, i was wondering where else is the Pale Sybil mentioned? and if she isn't, could u give a brief introduction of this weirdly cool, magic sucking character

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:55:43  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember, some years pass between the end of the novel "Evermeet" and the beginning of "The Last Mythal." It's not a lot of time, but it's enough for the previous Grand Mage to head off for Arvandor and a new guy to step in. I don't know how tough Olithir is off the top of my head; for my purposes it was sufficient for him to be a relatively new and untried Grand Mage, so I suppose he's got to be in the mid-20's or they wouldn't have given him the job.

I don't have any plans to write up character stats for the Last Mythal folks anytime soon; I have other things on my plate for now.

quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Hello Mr. Baker!
I have some questions to you about LM series.
I havent read The Last Mythal series yet but unfortunately i heard some spoilers about it. I heard that in LM trilogy Grand Mage of Evermeet is Breithel Olithir. I feel little confused because in novel Evermeet and in sourcebook Evermeet Grand Mage of Evermeet was Laeroth Runemaster. So I'm asking what happened to Laeroth and why you have decided to make Breithel Olithir Grand Mage?
My second question is how powerfull is Breithel Olithir? How many levels he has?
My last question is about characters from LM trilogy. Will they be described somewhere?
In some new sourcebook or in WotC web site or elsewhere?

Sorry for my englisch.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  23:02:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Sorry for the late answer; I've been on vacation for the last 3+ weeks.

I imagined the ship as an enchanted seagoing vessel, not a spelljammer. I didn't really have any particular magical properties in mind, other than the idea that the ship could travel great distances in a short time by sailing on moonlit water. I don't think it was really a "teleport ship" effect as much as it would be a sort of "shadow walk" effect based on sailing in moonlight... someone aboard the ship would perceive dimly the lands/seas they were passing over/through, and it wouldn't be instantaneous.

Hope that helps!

quote:

Hey, thanks for the answer! That's pretty much what I figured it was, but I wanted to know for sure.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  04:12:08  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answer Mr Baker, the concept sounds real cool. So will we be seeing her officially statted out?
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  20:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answers Mr. Baker but i have one more question. We can see in Lost Empires of Faerun that the leader of Cearlicarn is Lady Morgwais. Who is she? I mean is she druid or sorcerer or someone else? And how powerfull is she? How many levels she has?
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  20:42:26  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I'm thinking of the right character, she first appeared in Troy Denning's "Return of the Archwizards" series. She was Galaeron's mother, and an important wood elf leader. I picked her up to be the leader of the High Forest wood elves in "Forsaken House." I assumed she was reasonably competent, but she's no Grand Mage. (It was never really important in my story to know exactly what she could or couldn't do, so I didn't make any assumptions about her game stats.) Maybe she's about a 10th-level wizard with a level or two of druid thrown in?

quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Thanks for answers Mr. Baker but i have one more question. We can see in Lost Empires of Faerun that the leader of Cearlicarn is Lady Morgwais. Who is she? I mean is she druid or sorcerer or someone else? And how powerfull is she? How many levels she has?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  07:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Rich,

Can you give us scribes here at Candlekeep some suggestions or guidelines for how to write and structure customer feedback about the Realms, for the purpose of sending it in to Wizards of the Coast?

I understand as a rule all feedback is important, but am also certain (based on my own professional experience) that why and how feedback is written can make a great deal of difference as to whether it’s fully read and understood.

Could you please advise if hand-written letters are better/worse than sending email, and also if it’s appropriate to request a reply of some sort? If it’s not too much to ask, can you also advise if feedback is ranked at all? That is, if some customer correspondence is obviously rules related as opposed to setting/lore related, does that automatically rank higher in priority to read or perhaps cause the feedback to be sorted into different ‘piles’ for review by different departments later?

Thanks as always!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  13:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answer Mr. Baker.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  21:44:04  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... well, to start, I'd suggest typed rather than handwritten correspondence. (Of course, word processor and printer are just as good as a typewriter, 'cause who the heck has a typewriter anymore?)

If you're asking a rules question, we'd prefer it if you tried our Customer Service folks first. You can call or email them (see the title page of any FR sourcebook) and you'll get an answer fast. I will field CS-type questions when people send them my way, but the CS folks keep records of the questions they're asked and the answers provided. That gives us a company-wide history of which questions are asked about which products, whereas if you just post a question on the message boards or email a random game designer at WotC that information isn't preserved.

If you would like to offer a suggestion or make a complaint, you have three good choices. You can post it in a public forum we keep an eye on (the appropriate wizards.com message board), you can email someone at WotC, or you can send snail mail. If you want to be sure that we see it, I recommend sending your suggestion straight to *someone* rather than just posting on a board -- it's hard to sort out the signal-from-noise in a message board, after all. If you contact us via snail mail, just add "Attn: Rich Baker" in the address line, and the letter will be delivered to me. Good people to talk to here at Wotc include me; Chris Perkins, the design manager; Bill Slavicsek, director of RPG R&D; or Liz Schuh, who heads up our RPG business team.

Email sent straight to one of the above folks is OK, too -- but I'd ask that you save it for serious correspondence. We like to hear from you, but I know in my own case that I wouldn't want to feel like I ought to reply to a dozen customer emails a day.

Finally, regardless of the format you choose, I'd ask that you try to be concise, polite, and direct. Short, well-organized messages are much easier to digest than long, indirect, rambling ones. Stay on message, and seriously, try to be civil even when you're angry about something. Nothing puts my hackles up faster like folks telling me I'm a talentless hack or that I'm an evil money-grubbing soulless corporate drone. (For that matter, I'm not particularly pleased by people who go out of their way to explain how So-and-So did my job better years ago and really cared about the work, as compared to the way I approach the job.) If you're complaining about something you don't like, state the problem clearly without making it into a personal attack. Don't get shrill, don't use hyperbole, and don't shout. We carefully consider reasonable, well-thought-out criticism expressed simply and politely; we ignore people acting like jerks. There it is.

Hope that helps!

quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Hello Rich,

Can you give us scribes here at Candlekeep some suggestions or guidelines for how to write and structure customer feedback about the Realms, for the purpose of sending it in to Wizards of the Coast?

I understand as a rule all feedback is important, but am also certain (based on my own professional experience) that why and how feedback is written can make a great deal of difference as to whether it’s fully read and understood.

Could you please advise if hand-written letters are better/worse than sending email, and also if it’s appropriate to request a reply of some sort? If it’s not too much to ask, can you also advise if feedback is ranked at all? That is, if some customer correspondence is obviously rules related as opposed to setting/lore related, does that automatically rank higher in priority to read or perhaps cause the feedback to be sorted into different ‘piles’ for review by different departments later?

Thanks as always!

J. Grenemyer

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  22:51:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker it is nice to see you more active at candlekeep.

The "boards that should not be mentioned" is not useable for anyone that blocks images. I do have an account there, but have to go though the rather painful (for me) process of dealing with images to make or reply to a post. Prehaps you could talk to web design team about making those boards more friendly for users that wish to comment?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  00:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed response!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  12:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
can you tell us where Filsaelene disappears to?
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7572

Whoosh and she was gone.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  17:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply's to questions, and more importantly, looking ta the thread that KnightErrantJR started on the other boards. It does mean a lot. (I would've said something there but even with a cable modem, it takes so long to navigate those boards sometimes.)

I possess some of Merritt's work, but can't really get into them. I have tried a couple of times.

Since this is supposed to be a question scroll, can you give us any idea what maps might be found within the Cormyr supplement, specifically maps of towns. (i.e should I continue mapping some villages in Cormyr on my own or just wait?)

Also, do you have any other writing projects planned? I did enjoy the Last Mythal trilogy.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. Baker.

I had asked this question elsewhere just moments ago, then realized I should have come directly to you. In the fantastic tome, Lost Empires of Faerun, in the Realms of the High Forest section, it is written that the dwarven kingdom of Delzoun once encompassed the Rauvin Mountains. I am running a campaign in that area presently and am wondering if there is another source which provides more detail to that specific area.

By the way, LEoF has been my go-to book for this campaign. My long-term plan is to involve the fey'ri in the High Forest, as well as the Eldreth Veluuthra, then eventually have my players become involved in the events of "The Last Mythal" trilogy - which I also greatly enjoyed.

Thanks for all of your efforts in "fleshing out" the Realms.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:52:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conlon, I've provided you with a number of sources you can use to learn more about the Rauvin Mountains.

See your original scroll:- http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7583

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000