Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  18:49:33  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
I have read about 30 titles, but own most of the novels going way back. The only recent titles are Salvatore's books. Overall I probably have over 100. I better get off here and start reading!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  19:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message
Josh, are you asking for total novels, including reprints and hardcovers as well as paperbacks and collector's editions, or just titles?

I believe there are 153 different titles out there in a total of 208 books. That includes reprints (canticle, song and swords, avatar, starlight and shadows, etc) and counting those published in both hardcover and paperback and those in trade paperback. It does also count collector's editions and boxed sets. It does not count audio or club books and the like.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  02:46:37  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
So far I have read almost every title, and the last one that I read was The Rage and the Sample Chapter of Elminster's Daughter. The ones that I have not read are Druid Queen series
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  04:02:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Finished The Rage earlier this week. Awaiting Elminster's Daughter with a great deal of anticipation.
Go to Top of Page

Josh Davids
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  06:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Josh Davids's Homepage Send Josh Davids a Private Message
feiht you answered the question, just the number of titles is all i was looking for. i don't buy reprints of novels unless they are like the spellfire unedited, if it is a special edition three books in one don't bother if i have the originals. i am a stickler for keeping my books in good condition so rarely do i have to buy another one if it wears out, the exception to that are three books i have, Legend of Huma, Spellfire and Streams of Silver will need new copies in a few years just because dad took them to warzones with him, a rucksack isn't all too kind on a book. so i got just 50 or so to track down, missing mostly the newer ones so just a few old ones. hmm not too hard then. thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  09:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Finished The Rage earlier this week. Awaiting Elminster's Daughter with a great deal of anticipation.

I think its about time you headed over to The Rage thread and posted your review, Sirius

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message
Me, I have and read all the titles (I am in the process of reading The Rage, been slow at reading this week since it is spring break). I would like to collect every book, with all the reprints and editions and etc. So all 208 books. I have, I think, 30 more to go.
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Hey I would Love some insight.....Here's What I've read. Keep in mind I Only plan On reading FR novels Until I've read them all.

All Drizzt books except Lone Drow
Songs and Swords
Starlight and Shadows
All Eliminsters except last 2 (El in Hell and El's Daugther)

I just started like 10 months ago now I'm headed toward reading El in Hell and Lone Drow and Then maybe Evermeet

Here's the request for insight What else should I read???
Keep in mind I try to go from author to author so I guess after Evermeet I'll go back to Ed and Read El's Daughter But What next from RAS and then EC???

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Oh Opps I also read the Avatar Trilogy and the Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Dawn of Night is on its way to me and will hopefully get here next week. Thus, I'm currently reading Twilight Falling again.
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  17:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
I am sure there are certain novels that are a must read for someone who is trying hard to know all that is the Forgotten Realms. It's kinda like being a Guitar Junkie and not knowing any Jimi H. you know?

Here's my list of read books [again] and a few I plan to read are there any suggetions on stuff I must read that I've missed.

[The Orignal]
I was curious is the new Avatar Trilogy vastly different from the original?? And I haven't read the Cyric books should I read the New Avatar books and then Cyric books or is it all the same??

The Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy

Elminster's first three novels
[Making of a Mage, Myth Drannor and Temptation]

All Drizzt books except for Lone Drow

Songs and Swords novels
[Elfshadow, Elfsong, Silver Shadows, THornHold, Dream Spheres]

Starlight and Shadows Trilogy
[Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, WindWalker]

I plann on reading in the next few (3) weeks

The Cleric Quintet-Elminster in Hell- Lone Drow-Elminster's Daugther [if the Cormyr novels aren't nessary]-Cyric novels

Then I'll be reading the Cormyr novels-The War of the Spider Queen-The Return of the Arch Wizards.....blah blah balh I'm gonna be exhuasted by the time I reach a year of non-stop reading lol.(august makes a year since I started)

So any suggestion of FR novels to read plzz let me have it I'll added to the list

-Aristotle-

Edited by - Myst on 24 May 2004 17:48:49
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  19:41:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
If you have time, I would suggest reading in the following order:

Cormyr: A Novel, Beyond The High Road, Death of a Dragon, and then Elminster's Daughter.

Elminster's Daughter is perfectly standalone (and a fantastic read), but it does contain spoilers for the series above.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  20:00:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I don't think the reissued Avatar books are textually different.

Spellfire, with its follow-ups Crown of Fire and Hand of Fire, is the best introduction to the Realms.

I think the advantage of reading Cormyr: A Novel before Elminster's Daughter is as much in how its backstory chapters give Cormyr emotional resonance as its modern-era events.
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  02:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Thx fellow adeventures for all the help!!

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  03:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Got 'em all. Read 'em all. Waiting for more!

Melfius - Pixie-Priest of Puck

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  18:26:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
I just finished Dawn of Night and am about to read a short story by Richard Lee Byers in Dragon #320 featuring Taegan from The Rage.

After that, the next FR novel I'll read will be Extinction. I wish to read this novel a second time in anticipation of Annihiliaton being released.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  22:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
I'm WAY behind I only started reading FR about a year ago and have been reading other stuff besides FR in between. So far I've read the Icewind Dale Trilogy, DET, the Legacy, the Thousand Orcs, the Magehound, and Venom's Taste.

I have the rest of the Legacy of the Drow at hand and waiting to be cracked open. Also, I have Elfshadow and the Floodgate waiting patiently along with the Halls of Stormweather to introduce me to Sembia. I plan on spending most of my time over the summer catching up with FR.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  11:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
I currently have Elminster's Daughter underway. Great book.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  15:19:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

How far into it are you Lauzoril? There is a thread for it within FR Novels. After you finish the novel please share your thoughts on it.
Go to Top of Page

Yoshimo
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  23:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Yoshimo's Homepage Send Yoshimo a Private Message
quote:

I really want to read that book. I would like to see how it fairs as well.

May the light of Selune light your path and Olidammara guide your footsteps ~Shadow Thief Motto
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  22:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
I've just begun Chapter 5. I'll give my impression of it once I've read it. After that, it's on to Dawn of Night.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  01:37:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

I've just begun Chapter 5. I'll give my impression of it once I've read it. After that, it's on to Dawn of Night.

Looking forward to hearing your comments on both novels.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  15:00:34  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
I've just started reading the Avatar's Trilogy (Should i use a TM after the name?) and i'm close to finish the Destiny's Tables (I don't know if it's the correct translation. I'm going to take the Legacy of Drow and some Elsminster's books if i find them.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  15:07:36  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
Does anyone suggest something different for a novice reader (novice FR reader of course)?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  15:19:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gion

Does anyone suggest something different for a novice reader (novice FR reader of course)?

Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 08 Jun 2004 15:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  16:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I think the Avatar Trilogy is a bad place to start because (a) it's about upheaval to a world, which is much more meaningful if you know and love that world already by reading other books set there, and (b) it wasn't written by hugely Realms-immersed people (which at the time was really only Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb, as well as Ed's players) so it isn't vastly Realms-authentic, and badly mispresents a lot of characters -- which is apparently a purposeful effect of its unreliable point of view.

Elfshadow is a good recommendation, and Spellfire is *the* introductory Realms book -- written for just that purpose, and full of the things that make the Realms the Realms. Halls of Stormweather is another good starting point.
Go to Top of Page

costas
Acolyte

Greece
8 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  23:08:05  Show Profile  Visit costas's Homepage Send costas a Private Message
hello everyone!!!
this is my first post and i would like to say that is it truly wonderfull to be able to have a forum were you can interact with your favorite authors , and for that i would like both the administrators of this message board but the authors as well.
Well now , i have started reading fr novels about 20 months ago (back then i didn't know what D&D was) i started off with the drizzt series. It was the only fr novel that was translated in Greek ( i forgot to mention that i'm greek) and i have to say that the translation wasn't very good. Immediately i fell in love both with Salvatore's characters and the world itself. since not many other fr novels were translated in greek i started bying them in english (good for me)
so far i have at my library about 65 novels. mopre specificely i have read

The avatar trilogy and sequels
the cormyr trilogy (excellent)
the sembia series (some books were great others not so)
Kings and counselors trilogy
threat form the sea
starlight and shadows trilogy
evermeet
icewind dale
dark elf trilogy
path of darkness
legacy of the drow
the cleric quintet
shandril saga

i also have read the first books from
erevis cale trilogy
war of the spider queen
hunter's blade trilogy

and qurently i am reading Mr Reid's saphire cresent which so far i have enjoyed very much

i would suggest to a new reader to start off either with icewind dale or the comryr trilogy

please cope with any spelling mistakes :) english is not my native language
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  00:13:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by costas
and qurently i am reading Mr Reid's saphire cresent which so far i have enjoyed very much

If you use the search feature, you should be able to find a thread or two devoted to that novel. I look forward to hearing your comments after you finish Mr. Reid's novel.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  18:57:44  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
I got a friend up here who strongly insists that the Sembia books are
excellent. I havent read any Sembia books yet but I surely will. The prospect of a curious merchant family running the books instead o' gods and their avatars is quite appealing actually.
Anyone to give me a pre-info and state their comments about the books up here?

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  19:27:40  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
The Sembia series is very good, but don't expect a lot of talk about bean-counting. This is one family that is definitely extraordinary. I don't want to give away anything which may spoil the books for anyone who hasn't read them yet, but I'm sure you can find synopses on Amazon for example.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000