Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  20:06:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rumblebelly
Anyone to give me a pre-info and state their comments about the books up here?

If you like intrigue and good character development, the Sembia series is for you.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  06:46:11  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
ah, I'm way too spoiled bout the books, at least the characters
and I'm pretty curious about a certain house servant and a strange flamboyant guy who finds himself an adze (or was it an adze?) to fight with

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

costas
Acolyte

Greece
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  05:27:23  Show Profile  Visit costas's Homepage Send costas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rumblebelly

I got a friend up here who strongly insists that the Sembia books are
excellent. I havent read any Sembia books yet but I surely will. The prospect of a curious merchant family running the books instead o' gods and their avatars is quite appealing actually.
Anyone to give me a pre-info and state their comments about the books up here?

indeed the sembia series was very nice. the books i enjoyed the most were shattered mask (richard lee byers), lord of stormweather and the black wolf (dave gross) generally all them were very nice , except perhpas sands of soul i didn't like that one very much.
the entire family is very exciting even though erevis cale *is*the most popular of them all

oh and by the way thx for the info serious can't wait to read it , but snce i am an old poor college student i'll have to wait for the paperback version (and read "the temptation of elminster" and "elminster in hell" which i have in my library but i haven't come to read them so far)

Also read the first 100 pages of "the rage" great stuff

please cope with any spelling mistakes :) english is not my native language

Edited by - costas on 26 Jun 2004 05:30:15
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  05:35:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by costas
Also read the first 100 pages of "the rage" great stuff

Enjoy, that novel gets even better as you go along. I'm not even sure you've met Taegan yet in the first 100 pages.
Go to Top of Page

costas
Acolyte

Greece
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  05:43:21  Show Profile  Visit costas's Homepage Send costas a Private Message
oh i did and isn't he the coolest character these days in the realms or what?

can't wait to get over my exams and read some more , and i also hope that in this trilogy we will see how the "rage" effects all of faerun.

please cope with any spelling mistakes :) english is not my native language
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  06:40:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by costas

oh i did and isn't he the coolest character these days in the realms or what?

Taegan is smooth. Don't forget to check out Dragon #320 for a short story featuring him.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  09:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Well ive been whizzing through a few novels lately since my last update. After City of Ravens, I went on to read:

Temple Hill
The Jewel of Turmish
The Shadow Stone
Dawn of Night
The Rage
Death of a Darklord (Ravenloft)

and now im reading Shadows of Doom before I manage to pick up Lady of Poison and WotSQ:Annihilation.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  10:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
I'd like to hear your thoughts on both The Rage, and Death of a Darklord (despite the fact that it is not considered part of RL canon), if you're willing?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  11:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I'd like to hear your thoughts on both The Rage, and Death of a Darklord (despite the fact that it is not considered part of RL canon), if you're willing?

Certainly, Lady K

The Rage was much better than id envisaged. I cant say too much due to spoilers, but RLB's writing style was excellent the some scenes were simply stunning. It must be a difficult task to write of such a major event featuring dragons and centre the tale around a band of adventurers. The main character is quite unlikable but the band as a whole are very enjoyable. The story is fast paced and interesting. I highly recommend it.

As for Death of a Darklord, it started off very slow and quite detached from the story. However, the second half of the book really came together. Id recommend you read Heart of Midnight beforehand to get the flavor or Kartakass and Harkon Lucas. Id say that DoaDL has a great and unique way of describing laying-on-hands and healing and the depiction of the undead elements were second to none.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  11:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:

I just read your post again Lady K.... what do you mean about DoaDL not being considered canon?

::looks around worryingly for Alaundo::

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Windshear
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  05:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Windshear's Homepage Send Windshear a Private Message
I've read:

Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Avatar Trilogy + sequels
Thousand orcs + lone drow
Dark Elf trilogy
the first 3 WotSQ books
Maztica Trilogy
Currently reading Moonshae tril, and starting Venom's Taste
I've read Twilight Falling,
Black Wolf and Shadow's Witness (the only sembia books I can find)
Empires Trilogy
Books 1 + 2 of Cleric Quintet
Sapphire Crescent
Alabaster Staff
Some of the Dungeons + Dragons books - I tend to read them in between classes sitting in Borders. I think they were Plague of Ice, and the Bloody eye, but I can't remember exactly.

I still have a fair whack of books to read, but I'm slowly working my way through the back catalogue - mainly thanks to second hand book stores. Unfortunately I just missed out on getting the Twilight Giants trilogy on ebay for $5 AUD the other night, and I was mightily miffed.

Unfortunately I am kind of limited by the fact I don't have a lot of money, and I can't buy a lot of books. *sigh* And also the fact that shops in Brisbane seem to stock sporadic collections of these books. They won't stock all the books in the series, and you're lucky if they stock book 1. grrrr.

very not happy, jan!

Work is the scourge of the drinking classes --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  15:22:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
I'm finishing a second reading of WOTSQ's Extinction today since I'll be getting Annihilation later this afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  17:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Just started reading Rage myself.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  09:21:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

I just read your post again Lady K.... what do you mean about DoaDL not being considered canon?

::looks around worryingly for Alaundo::

::The Sage, taking advantage of Alaundo's absence, quickly and quietly scribbles down a note on a piece of scrap yellowed parchment. Upon leaving the chamber, the Sage slowly approaches Rad, slipping the note onto his reading table.::

It's one of my homes-away-from-Candlekeep. Take a look around the site Rad, as well as the forums. There's some specific details about many of the RL novels, and whether or not they are considered part of RL canon.

Sorry about the reference Alaundo, but I felt the need to answer Rad's question .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  09:33:15  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
I've just started reading "Cormyr".

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  09:58:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And, what do you think of the novel so far?

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  10:31:57  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And, what do you think of the novel so far?

I must recognize i've just started reading it, but it's very interesting and the characters are catchy. But the appear of the "abraxus" i think is called confused me. I thought it was a gorgon.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  10:34:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I was only asking because some Realms-fans find the shifting between the various time-periods in the novel, confusing.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  10:45:28  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I was only asking because some Realms-fans find the shifting between the various time-periods in the novel, confusing.

i'm not having problems with it,... yet

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  05:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
Well, I haven't read as many FR novels as I would've expected by this point. Here are the ones that I have read:

Icewind Dale Trilogy
Dark Elf Trilogy
The Legacy
The Thousand Orcs
The Magehound
Venom's Taste
Halls of Stormweather
The Sapphire Crescent

I also got pretty far into Realms of Shadow, but stopped because it was boring me pretty bad. Perchance I'll get back to reading it, but not at the moment. Right now I'm reading Shadow's Witness that just came in. Afterwards I plan on reading Twilight Falling.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  15:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
I started the Forsaken House recently. From what I've read so far, I can say a most captivating book. Made me wish that more novels would be written from the perspective of other than humans, it brings a refreshing change to the story. Richard Baker has done excellent work here, to think that I nearly shunned him because of Shadow Stone once but fortunately Condemnation corrected that.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2004 :  20:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Let's see... I've read a few Realms books:

The Elminster Series (Making of a Mage to El's Daughter)
War of the Spider Queen (about to start book 4)
The Return of the Archwizards (and anthology)
Lots of Salvatore books (up to Servant of the Shard), though not the Cleric Quintet
The Alabaster Staff
And, Curse of the Azure Bonds

I think that's all of them.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  08:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Well after reading Shadows of Doom, followed by WotSQ:Annihilation, Lady of Poison and then Forsaken House (fantastic!), I read a single Dragonlance novel - Dragons of a Fallen Sun (not impressed, thatll teach me!)

::cowers from Alaundo and SiriusBlack::

I am now reading Cloak of Shadows, its a little slow but the Realms flavor is certainly there. I'm quite happy that its partially set in Daggerdale, as that is one of my favorite places in the Realms.

I'm now after a bit of advice from my fellow scribes, on what to read next in order to work away at my backlog before The Two Swords and The Ruby Guardian are released...

The Druidhome Trilogy
The Twilight Giants Trilogy
All Shadows Fled
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
Faces of Deception
Star of Cursrah
The Nether Scroll
King Pinch
War in Tethyr
The Mage in the Iron Mask
Council of Blades
The Simbul's Gift
Finders Bane

I also haven't read the following, but I don't have any particular interest in them so will leave them until very last:

The Maztica Trilogy
The Netheril Trilogy

Any recommendations?

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 22 Sep 2004 08:59:38
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  17:33:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I read a single Dragonlance novel - Dragons of a Fallen Sun (not impressed, thatll teach me!)

::cowers from Alaundo and SiriusBlack::

Why cower from me? When did I become the board heavy?

Dragonlance novel? Never heard of it although if I had heard of such a world, I'd strongly recommend something called The Icewall Trilogy.

quote:

Any recommendations?

You've probably already read it but...

after finishing my Feist book, I've turned my attention back to the second book in Elaine Cunningham's Counselors & Kings trilogy.

I've never been drawn that much to the area of Faerun that this trilogy covers. However, these books are increasing my interest especially the Crinti.

Walmart, B&N, and BAM are now all showing Realms of the Dragons as available for order and shipment. I just placed an order so by next week I should be able to recommend this anthology.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  17:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Thanks Sirius.

Yeah I read the Counsellors and Kings trilogy some time ago. Loved it! The only Realms novels I haven't read are those which i've listed above. I'm at a bit of a loss as none really jump out at me and the ones i've been intrigued about I have heard not-too-shining reports on (such as Druidhome).

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  17:57:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Thanks Sirius.

Yeah I read the Counsellors and Kings trilogy some time ago. Loved it! The only Realms novels I haven't read are those which i've listed above. I'm at a bit of a loss as none really jump out at me and the ones i've been intrigued about I have heard not-too-shining reports on (such as Druidhome).

What about Tymora's Luck? If you read Finder's Bane, you've got to read that one.

I actually kinda liked the Druidhome trilogy. It was better than the Maztica trilogy, but it wasn't as good as some other trilogies.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  19:10:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I happened to like both Moonshae trilogies. But then again I love those isles off the Coast and those novels were great reads. Maybe it didn't help either it was some of the 1st FR novels I read. :)

Sigh someday I hope WOTC will update the Moonshaes. The main sourcebook was 1e and Halls of the High King is so out dated as well, since Tristan was still king in that module.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  05:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
Currently reading Lady of Poison by Bruce R. Cordell.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  16:55:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just finished reading the Empires trilogy for the first time in many years... I think after I finish the Rose of the Prophet trilogy (not Realms), I'll go back and re-read the Cleric Quintet. It's beeen a long time on those, too.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  21:39:27  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
I am currently rereading the Avatar Trilogy because the last time I read it the 2 sequels were not out. The Quintet is soooo good isn't it Wooly, far better than the Drizzt novels
Steps back quickly to avoid thrown items
Was it the latest Feist book Sirius? I've been meaning to get it for a while. Nuff said about Feist you know how crotchety Big Al can get

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000