Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Half Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  17:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For some time now I have been thinking about what my next character should be like and our dungeon master told me that I could pick any race. Within normal boundaries ofcourse. Now I know I'm going to be a priest of Bane. At first I thought about becoming a human, which I haven't played for quite some time now. But I didn't like that idea. Too plain. I want to play a not so normal character, so I thought, why not a vampire (which is still my number 2 choice), but our DM didn't like that idea much. So I decided to become a half-orc. A distuingished one I might ad. But recently I was surfing the internet and came upon another option. The Half-Dragon. Here's the deal. Half-Dragons are quite powerful creatures, so our DM wants me to adjust it (we play 2nd edition). Can anyone help me figure out what kind of bonuses/penalties a half-dragon could have? So it won't be too powerful.

Nothing is impossible!

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  19:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See Council of Wyrms.

For myself, I wouldn't play a vampire, a half-dragon, an evil priest, or anything remotely like that, or play in a campaign that had them as PCs. Those gimmicks don't make your character more interesting, they're substitutes for interesting characters. Play a human.

Edited by - Faraer on 16 Mar 2004 19:37:19
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:55:35  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explain what you mean Faraer. Any character can be intresting yes, and while we agree that if a munchkin player choses those things it may be a substitute for intresting characters. However we do think that such things can be used to create intresting things, be they plot hooks, mentalities, or what have you.
We fail to grasp what you are fully saying Faraer when you mentioned substitute, so if you could elaborate a little bit, please?

As to what you ask mask, We cannot help you there. Too much work to attempt to figure it out for us. Although we do recomend one thing, make the character as weak as you can and build the personality from there.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  01:18:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...an interesting idea, and I have a few suggestions of my own that may help you.

But before I do that, I think I will defer to our resident Dragon for comment. I'm sure he'll have the right suggestions for you Mask...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  07:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The half-dragon has too high of a level adjustment for my tastes -- +4 ECL, I'm told, though I can't find it myself. Personally, if I wanted to play a half-dragon, but more for the roleplay aspect than anything else, I'd construct something based on a planetouched, letting roleplay fill in most of the gaps. Perhaps I'd tweak it enough to bump it up somewhat to a +2 ECL, but that's the most I'd do. To me, the half-dragon template just isn't worth it, regarding gameplay, for the otherwise interesting roleplay.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps I'll put that on my list of things to do: make a "dragontouched" race/template. Ah, so many things to do . . . one of these days I'll be organized. And on that day, all life will end as the result of mass heart attacks from sheer shock.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 18 Mar 2004 11:35:31
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  08:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't play 3rd edition in this particulair campaign. We still play 2nd edition, so ECL's are not relevant (IMHO)in regard to creating a new race. I know, it's not a new race, but hey, we don't have to follow everything that's in the books. My DM instructed me to make a race description. Only then will I be allowed to play a half dragon. So now I'm trying to figure out what bonuses/hindrances they'll have and how many skill points they cost.

As to the reply of Faraer, why shouldn't I play a half dragon? I'm tired of playing the regular races. Besides, I want to play a special character, for this is to be my greatest character ever.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  08:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't help you much, then. I wouldn't know what was too powerful or not in 2e.

The 3e half-dragon has a huge bonus to Strength, and lesser ones for Constitution, Intelligence, and Charisma. It also has immunity to its type's breath weapon, and can use that weapon once per day. There's also some claw/bite damage listed, based on size. A human-sized one would have 1d6 bite and 1d4 claw damage.

My guess is to give +2 Strength, and +1 Constitution, Intelligence, and Charisma (since the racial adjustments in 2e were plus or minus one, as I recall from the computer games). The rest I don't have a clue about.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  09:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you. This, I believe, I can use. Any ideas are welcome by the way, so if anyone has some, please, do not hesitate to tell them.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  14:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The roleplaying industry is saturated with the mentality that players and GMs aren't really creative, and need to be fed discrete reified gimmicks from which to assemble a character like a Lego model or a Magic deck: clans, templates, prestige classes, merits, schools, etc. Psychic and social tendencies are crassly condensed into splats. And some players *aren't* that creative (consistently), and do use such things in the false belief that they will make their character more interesting. Take spellfire: interesting in the novels as a plot device because of how it works on Shandril's character and alters her relationship to the world, yanked out of context as just another cool power in the rules.

But the half-dragon appeared in AD&D in the Council of Wyrms boxed set, and that's where you'll find the second edition rules. Here's the revised book:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1058&
I can't vouch for the quality of the text or the PDF.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  15:14:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The roleplaying industry is saturated with the mentality that players and GMs aren't really creative, and need to be fed discrete reified gimmicks from which to assemble a character like a Lego model or a Magic deck: clans, templates, prestige classes, merits, schools, etc. Psychic and social tendencies are crassly condensed into splats. And some players *aren't* that creative (consistently), and do use such things in the false belief that they will make their character more interesting. Take spellfire: interesting in the novels as a plot device because of how it works on Shandril's character and alters her relationship to the world, yanked out of context as just another cool power in the rules.

Excellent analysis Faraer and very accurate. Here's a question to Mask: What's the background on your half-dragon character? That'd be very interesting to hear the origins of how he/she came into existence.
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't decided yet on the background of my character, but I guess a black dragon fell in love with my mother and polymorphed into a human. And then, when some priests of Bane find out that a half dragon was born, they kidnap him. You know, because they're rare and all. And they're going to raise him to be a priest of Bane.I'm not sure about the background though.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  16:34:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mask

Well, I haven't decided yet on the background of my character, but I guess a black dragon fell in love with my mother and polymorphed into a human. And then, when some priests of Bane find out that a half dragon was born, they kidnap him. You know, because they're rare and all. And they're going to raise him to be a priest of Bane.I'm not sure about the background though.

Understood. Thanks for replying and sharing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000