Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Shining South Sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  23:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Mr. Reid, I've never heard of a place in the Realms called, Car the Golden. Are you sure that's correct?. I thought it was supposed to be Var the Golden . . . .

*Chuckle*

Nah its meant to be Car the the Goldern

The Shining South contains a fulls write up on Thomas bright yellow Honda Civic

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  04:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
D'Oh! Yes, it's Var the Golden. I usually try to proofread my posts, but that one slipped through. I've edited.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  10:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Mr. Reid, I've never heard of a place in the Realms called, Car the Golden. Are you sure that's correct?. I thought it was supposed to be Var the Golden . . . .

I'm sure that was a typo on his part. The C and the V are right next to each other on the keyboard, after all....

I'm still learning my way around Faerun remember. For all I knew, there was a place called Car the Golden, although in retrospect it does seem unlikely that such a silly name would be used for a place in a land as grand as the Realms . . . .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  19:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

*Chuckle*

Nah its meant to be Car the the Goldern

The Shining South contains a fulls write up on Thomas bright yellow Honda Civic

Nope, it's one of those hidden bits of Realmslore (Remember--It's not a bug/mistake, it's a feature!).

Coll the Goldurned was the Moonshine King of Var the Golden, until the revenuers of the Rundeen caught up with him.

Steven
Who's now realized he's exceeded his recommended caffeine dosages this a.m.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  04:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh . . .

Do you know of any other occurences of such bugs Mr Schend?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  07:02:48  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thought for those intrested, Wizards has the Shining South(with some other products)on their product page now. Along with some cover art. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/179290000
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  07:21:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

I just thought for those intrested, Wizards has the Shining South(with some other products)on their product page now. Along with some cover art. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/179290000

Interesting cover. I wonder who is responsible for it.

Thanks for the link CurseLord.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 28 Apr 2004 07:22:31
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  07:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks possibly like something by Terese Nielsen...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:07:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Reid, will there be any special areas within the Great Sea, detailed in your new tome?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  14:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Mr. Reid, will there be any special areas within the Great Sea, detailed in your new tome?.

Not really. I did include a few interesting notes on some of the shallow coastal waters and inlets (such as the Bay of Dancing Dolphins), but the Great Sea itself was a little beyond the scope.

While I'm posting, let me also just take the opportunity to remind everyone that anything I report about the product must be accepted with the caveat that things could change in development and/or editing at WotC. I really only wrote the first draft; the folks in RPG R&D will add their own touches to make it a final product. So don't assume that anything I say is set in stone.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  13:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember (and can't check the Sage's books), but are there any aquatic elf communities along the southern coast - within the scope of area that this sourcebook covers?.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  14:56:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are sea elf communities off the coast of the Shining South (see a Dragon article a while back by Ed ... I think it was one of the Volo columns circa Dragon #205 ...), but I don't think Thomas delves into the Great Sea in any detail.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  15:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first "New Adventures of Volo" article, in Dragon #267, titled just "Onward!", tells us of Mlossae, around the Shipgrave Isles south of Halruaa. Hope you don't mind me footnoting you, Eric.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, I much appreciate the footnoting. :-)

I usually only have time to post at work (strange as that may sound), where I don't have my sources handy. In other words, I'm willing to "recall", but it's great when someone can follow up with the exact reference I'm alluding to.

--Eric

PS In other words, the posts I made in the "Deep Gnome Cities" thread could use a lot of double-checking. :-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  15:08:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EN World has reported in today's site news that, in a thread on the Forgotten Realms boards at WotC, Rich Baker revealed that he "believes [the jordain] is in Shining South as a prestige class."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  15:15:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

Although very little has been detailed about the possible inclusion of this PrC, I can see that it could provide some very intriguing NPC alternatives...

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  02:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Although very little has been detailed about the possible inclusion of this PrC, I can see that it could provide some very intriguing NPC alternatives...

That particular PrC was picked up from a Wizards web article Elaine wrote a couple of years ago that tied into her Counselors & Kings trilogy. I left it pretty much intact (though the developers and editors might have further tinkered with it).

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  03:01:58  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Reid conserning the info on Haalrua: is it an update (to 3ed) of the things written in the first Shining South or will it add more new stuff about the realm of magical galore.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  04:40:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
That particular PrC was picked up from a Wizards web article Elaine wrote a couple of years ago that tied into her Counselors & Kings trilogy. I left it pretty much intact (though the developers and editors might have further tinkered with it).

Thomas

That's right. Thank you for mentioning that fact. I had forgotten about Elaine Cunningham's web article.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  09:54:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas

Yes, that is correct. I have the hard copy of that particular article here with me now. Thanks for the reminder Mr. Reid...

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  14:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Mr Reid conserning the info on Haalrua: is it an update (to 3ed) of the things written in the first Shining South or will it add more new stuff about the realm of magical galore.

Well, obviously it's going to be a 3.5E update to what was written in Tom Prusa's 2E work. I pulled as much information as I could from that product (as well as a host of others--the list of "based on" products in the front matter was pretty long). But there's also plenty of new material, too. Eric Boyd pointed me in a few directions for potential expansion, and I ran with it.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  04:46:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Reid, could you perhaps provide us with a sampling of these "based on" products...?

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  15:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mr. Reid, could you perhaps provide us with a sampling of these "based on" products...?

Counselors & Kings Trilogy, Defenders of the Faith, Demihuman Deities, DRAGON Magazine, Dwarves Deep, Faiths & Avatars, Faiths and Pantheons, Magic of Faerūn, Masters of the Wild, Monster Manual II, Old Empires, Pages From the Mages, Pirates of the Fallen Stars, Powers & Pantheons, Prayers from the Faithful, Races of Faerūn, The Shining South, Song and Silence, Sword and Fist, Tome and Blood, and Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical.

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  15:30:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Counselors & Kings Trilogy, Defenders of the Faith, Demihuman Deities, DRAGON Magazine, Dwarves Deep, Faiths & Avatars, Faiths and Pantheons, Magic of Faerūn, Masters of the Wild, Monster Manual II, Old Empires, Pages From the Mages, Pirates of the Fallen Stars, Powers & Pantheons, Prayers from the Faithful, Races of Faerūn, The Shining South, Song and Silence, Sword and Fist, Tome and Blood, and Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical.

A very extensive list. You do research through various tomes like those and write as well?!

You do sleep don't you
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  05:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
A very extensive list. You do research through various tomes like those and write as well?!

On the contrary, most of those references were passed along by other helpful able bodies, most notably Eric Boyd, George Krashos, and Thomas Costa. They did most of the legwork; I just incorporated the results. Truthfully, FR design can simply no longer be done in a vacuum--there's just too much reference material to sort through.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  07:22:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Truthfully, FR design can simply no longer be done in a vacuum--there's just too much reference material to sort through.

Ah Thomas, you make an FR fan giddy with happiness when you state such self-evident truths.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  15:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George KrashosAh Thomas, you make an FR fan giddy with happiness when you state such self-evident truths.

LOL!
It's just so true, though. I spent a couple of years as Creative Director for FR nearly a decade ago, and it was very evident even then that I would have been hopelessly lost without folks like Julia Martin and Steven Schend to keep track of everything. I said at the time, "I don't need to know everything, or even where to look it up, but I damn sure better know who does."

In any event, I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. You guys were a huge help, and I really appreciate it.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  19:02:13  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we the readers really appreciate the attention to detail...

... although it gives us less to gripe about on message boards and that is what we do best.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  10:08:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh, that's a very comprehensive selection for all things "Shining South". Something tells me this is going to be one of my particularly favored FR tomes...

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  18:36:25  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why nothing from Deserts of Desolation (think I got it right), after all it describes one of the most hostile areas known in Faerun, and yes I am counting the underdark etc.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000