Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Shadow Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm pretty new here, and hope this thread is posted in the right place. I was wondering what the sages think about the power of the Shadow Weave.

1. Is the Shadow Weave as powerful as the Weave? Evocation spells are the hallmark of a wizard's direct battle might, and the Shadow Weave is hampered in this school. Necromancy is their only hope. Yet even in the Archwizard's trilogy, the major battles are fought with fireballs, lightning bolts and shadowbolts. Not with necromantic or shadow magic. I often wonder why.
2. Would I be wrong to create Necromantic, Shadow magic that is as powerful as the Evocative spells?
3. Although Mystra can censure a wizard from the Weave, she has rarely done so. Shar has similar censure power over the Shadow Weave, but the Shadow Weave is not restricted only to evil characters. What would Shar do to neutral or good shadow weave wizards whom don't follow her doctrine? Right now it seems most mention of the Shadow Weave users = followers of Shar.
4. If we are segregating magic in FR into good magic and evil magic, shouldn't we have a third weave for neutral magic? Or can we greedy neutral wizards draw power from both Weaves After all, we are not too concerned about morality, just the advance of magic.

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alrunes Sinethal

I'm pretty new here, and hope this thread is posted in the right place. I was wondering what the sages think about the power of the Shadow Weave.

1. Is the Shadow Weave as powerful as the Weave? Evocation spells are the hallmark of a wizard's direct battle might, and the Shadow Weave is hampered in this school. Necromancy is their only hope. Yet even in the Archwizard's trilogy, the major battles are fought with fireballs, lightning bolts and shadowbolts. Not with necromantic or shadow magic. I often wonder why.

Look at the spells shadow evocation, greater shadow evocation, and shades for what they were using.

quote:

Although Mystra can censure a wizard from the Weave, she has rarely done so. Shar has similar censure power over the Shadow Weave, but the Shadow Weave is not restricted only to evil characters. What would Shar do to neutral or good shadow weave wizards whom don't follow her doctrine? Right now it seems most mention of the Shadow Weave users = followers of Shar.

Have you heard of Galaeron Nihmedu?

quote:

If we are segregating magic in FR into good magic and evil magic, shouldn't we have a third weave for neutral magic? Or can we greedy neutral wizards draw power from both Weaves After all, we are not too concerned about morality, just the advance of magic.

They aren't opposed across the good-evil axis. Szass Tam, Larloch, and Halaster all use the Weave, after all.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in the future, don't forget to use the scrying room to look for other topics people arelikely to have discussed in the past.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've read, I was under the impression that the two Weaves were equal in power and uses, although The RoA trilogy mentions that the Shadow Weave can't create warmth, and popular opinion gives the SW strength in necromantic and illusory spells.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:51:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed...

Alrunes, you may also want to look up some discussions the scribe Mournblade had with another two scribes (there were two scrolls as I recall) that detailed, both an alternate view of the Weave, and the Shadow Weave, and another discussion about the nature of the Shadow Weave with regards to it's usage in the eternal conflict between Shar and Selune.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  08:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Arivia

Look at the spells shadow evocation, greater shadow evocation, and shades for what they were using.

1. It is true they could be using shadow evocation series of spells. However, you must also realised that these spells are higher in level, but potentially causes less damage (if saved). It would be "cheaper" to just cast a fireball, and once you reached 11th level, it really doesn't matter. I could be wrong and they could have use a higher level spell to cast a fireball (after all, they ain't that wise after tapping the shadow weave).

Have you heard of Galaeron Nihmedu?

2. No, who is he *grin* If you are citing him, a singular incident, that Shar does accept good aligned arcane spellcasters in general to use her Shadow Weave, I bow to your superior wisdom. Although I must say, this incident gives me hope that Shar will not be that particular in setting religious criterion, before accepting Shadow Weave spellcasters.

3. Like I mentioned before, I recognised that Mystra doesn't censure evil spellcasters. The question was does Shar censure good spellcasters :) My point 4 was purely for humor. Future poster please ignore it.

Thank you Sage and Bookwyrm, I will hunt down those old scrolls. The original source of magic and concept of the Shadow Weave is really quite interesting (from the few moments I glanced at them).

Sourcemaster2. I guess I have a problem accepting the Shadow Weave as of equal strength to the Weave. Shadow is by definition, an "absence" of light. I guess one must really think convolutely till one is mad to somehow balance the equation of light = shadow, and still show that light = - darkness (which is the opposite of light) is true.

Ultimately the easiest way is for them shadow adepts to show me some really kewl Shadow Weave spells. And here let's remember also to differentiate the Shadow Weave from Shadow magic. One is a source of power, the other a "school" of magic.

Alright I feel dumber already. -2 to Int and Wis

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  18:22:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Bookwyrm,

That URL you referenced is no longer functioning now days. What was it back then?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

And in the future, don't forget to use the scrying room to look for other topics people arelikely to have discussed in the past.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  18:31:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Sinethal,

1) It stands to reason that the two are equal, but then again, the Weave was destroyed and not the ShadowWeave (as it was accessed by others when the normal Weave was not accessible). So, that tells us that there is a difference in how they function, and thus that there are inherent strengths and weaknesses that they have, or they are completely different, which doesn't seem like the case since it was rather accessible by people.

2) Ah, the question of morality and ethics. What is wrong? If you venerate Velsharoon, I would imagine that the Lord of the Forsake Crypt would be all for what you are doing and not take issues at all (he is the god of necromancy afterall). I should say this.....who would judge the works of a wizard working the dark arts, that are in fact responsible for some of the most potent magics that return one to life? It is all so very, very gray.

3) Hmm......I don't think it is a matter of one has to venerate Shar in order to use the Shadow Weave. Gods derive their power from acknowledgment, from prayer, from belief. Would you not believe that The Mistress of the Night exists, is real, and is beneficial to you if she provides you with access to shadow magic? I don't think you even need to "believe" in her at that point, since well, you really already do by using her weave.

4) Ehhh.......morality is proven to be a piece of toast: some like it a little darker, some like it a little lighter. You can see this from when the title of the god of the Dead changed hands from Jergal, to Myrkul, to Cyric, to Kelemvor. Morality greatly effected things there, and so does it change with magic. I don't really feel that the Weave is good or bad/evil if it is the Weave compared to the Shadow Weave. They are just different sources of magic.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Alrunes Sinethal

2. Would I be wrong to create Necromantic, Shadow magic that is as powerful as the Evocative spells?
3. Although Mystra can censure a wizard from the Weave, she has rarely done so. Shar has similar censure power over the Shadow Weave, but the Shadow Weave is not restricted only to evil characters. What would Shar do to neutral or good shadow weave wizards whom don't follow her doctrine? Right now it seems most mention of the Shadow Weave users = followers of Shar.
4. If we are segregating magic in FR into good magic and evil magic, shouldn't we have a third weave for neutral magic? Or can we greedy neutral wizards draw power from both Weaves After all, we are not too concerned about morality, just the advance of magic.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  05:07:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Bookwyrm,

That URL you referenced is no longer functioning now days. What was it back then?

I believe the long-absent Bookwyrm was referencing the search function at the top of the page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  14:03:30  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

haha...kind of ironic it was referencing that I feel.

Thank you for letting me know!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Bookwyrm,

I believe the long-absent Bookwyrm was referencing the search function at the top of the page.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000