Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster's Daughter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  20:23:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has any one seen this on the shelves yet? It's May...... Sure it's only the 3rd but I was curious. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Alaundo on 06 May 2004 15:33:08

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  21:37:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Has any one seen this on the shelves yet? It's May...... Sure it's only the 3rd but I was curious. :)

Not on the shelves. However, two places online are now listing the books as available for purchase and shipment. Hopefully, I'll have it by the end of this week.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  00:05:21  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, guys. See the Questions for Ed thread for my "non-review" of the book. It's out, I got it at Baycon, at least 30 people did cuz I saw Ed sign that many
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  00:37:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grumble. :( My local book store said "Some time in May." Well that's a lot of help!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Abizoath
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  02:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Abizoath's Homepage Send Abizoath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure when it's out in stores, but at the Great Canadian Baycon they had some for sale. I got mine signed by Ed! ^_^, Already finished it, and it's one of the better books in the Elminster series.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  03:06:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Grumble. :( My local book store said "Some time in May." Well that's a lot of help!

I know the feeling. The Barnes and Noble in my area will get it sometime in June. I was there this weekend and what do they have on the New Releases section? Extinction. Yeah, that's a new release for sure. No wonder I buy my books online.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  05:32:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tracking gods just informed me I should get my copy tomorrow. We shall see. I trust half of what I see and even less what I read online.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  17:45:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tracking gods were smiling on me as I just got the book. I look forward to diving into the 378 pages tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  21:14:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

The tracking gods were smiling on me as I just got the book. I look forward to diving into the 378 pages tonight.

BAH! No fair!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  04:44:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
BAH! No fair!!!!!!!!!!

I know..but honest, I didn't cheat. The gaming gods just love me...now if only the property tax gods did.....

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 05 May 2004 04:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  04:56:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know..but honest, I didn't cheat. The gaming gods just love me...now if only the property tax gods did.....

Barnes has it listed as shipping on thier web site but the local Barnes says not out yet :( And Mediplay says not till the 12th!!!! BAH!

I take it no one else has it yet either? Or at least those who didn't get it at a Con.... :)

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  06:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hardback edition is available at Amazon.com but I believe I will wait until the paperback version comes out

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  13:38:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's novels are the only ones I ever buy in hardcover (because I can't wait to get at the contents). At AU$70 I always wince at the cash register but forget the pain after a few pages.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  19:07:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

The hardback edition is available at Amazon.com but I believe I will wait until the paperback version comes out

Way to go Amazon. They are usually the last online store to make FR books available. I hope this starts a nice new trend for them.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  19:14:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed's novels are the only ones I ever buy in hardcover (because I can't wait to get at the contents). At AU$70 I always wince at the cash register but forget the pain after a few pages.

-- George Krashos

Congrats on the salute and thanks from Ed to you found within this novel.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  00:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

which is why the Gods created Amazon.com

My 3 pet hates are Lawyers, Politicans and WOTC Australia

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  04:03:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Is that in order from greater to lesser?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  04:51:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which is kind of funny, as I resemble the first part of your hate list.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  04:55:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Congrats on the salute and thanks from Ed to you found within this novel.

Ahhh, he's being his ever-generous self once again. I just HAVE to get to Canada sometime this decade: the wonders of the internet would surely pale in comparison to spending a night or two actually talking face to face to the man who gave us this wonderful sandbox to play in ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  05:31:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Maybe he'll amend it to lawyers (who are not Candlekeep scribes)

The book so far is as much fun as I hoped it would be. I may have a question for the forum in a bit over something I read in an early chapter. I want to do some research first on a certain portion of Cormyr.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 06 May 2004 05:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  06:30:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The book so far is as much fun as I hoped it would be. I may have a question for the forum in a bit over something I read in an early chapter. I want to do some research first on a certain portion of Cormyr.

Cries! It's not fair! I want my copy!!!! :(

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  07:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is that in order from greater to lesser?

At present yes

however if WOTC OZ dont start passing on the Exchange rate benefit soon then there going to rocket up to number one

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  07:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

You "Resemble" a lawyer? how does one "Resemble" a lawyer? Do you wear an Armani suit and carry a leather attache case?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  14:15:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You "Resemble" a lawyer? how does one "Resemble" a lawyer? Do you wear an Armani suit and carry a leather attache case?

Well, there's nothing about me that says I'm a lawyer (no Armani and I've never carried an attache case) and aside from what I do from 9 to 5 I don't talk about my work. People give you the funniest looks when you tell them you're a lawyer ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  15:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, there's nothing about me that says I'm a lawyer (no Armani and I've never carried an attache case) and aside from what I do from 9 to 5 I don't talk about my work. People give you the funniest looks when you tell them you're a lawyer ...

-- George Krashos

*chuckle*

Ive heard that looks very similar to the one you see on an Axe wielding Dwarves face when he sees a party of Orcs

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  15:28:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question based upon reading Elminster's Daughter. I don't feel it constitutes a spoiler as it only references a location, but just in case

Stop

Reading

if

you

don't

wish

to

learn

where

Elminster's Daughter

is set

What happened to the past ruler of Marsember, Ildool? I know the FRCS listed Bledry Scoril as the ruler after "the untimely demise of the previous lord" (p. 113).

I can't recall what product, if any, detailed this untimely demise. Was it Death of the Dragon? So much was taking place in that novel, that I may have totally forgotten this event.

Any help here is appreciated.

SB
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  11:18:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The change occurred in FRCS. Not sure about the reason ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  16:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As regards the change in leadership in Marsember:

I've explained the change, and Ildool's "untimely" demise, as a direct result of the installation of the Thayan enclave in the city (mentioned, without justification, in Lords of Darkness). To shorten the backstory significantly, Ildool was never considered a bastion against corruption, and he used the confusion and chaos caused by the battles with Nalavara and her goblin horde to finally seal the deal with the Thayans. Receiving news of Azoun's death, he used the brief interregnum- with no one commanding him as lord of the city- to sign a treaty permitting the enclave.

Of course, as the crown was long rumored to be looking for an excuse to remove Ildool, either openly or through some "accident," so the continuation of the above story is that Alusair, being somewhat shorter of temper than her father, disposed of the former lord, leaving the expected confusion as to whether or not it was the crown- or one of Ildool's various enemies and conflicting partners in bribery- who "did the dirty deed."

I've not yet read Elminster's Daughter, so I can't possibly know whether this jibes well with the information therein, but these are the explanations I've come up with to both explain Ildool's removal (which was fairly simple, given the right excuse) and to justify a bunch of Thayvians living openly in Cormyr under the flag of their nation (significantly more difficult).
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  17:26:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Alusair, being somewhat shorter of temper than her father

I've not yet read Elminster's Daughter, so I can't possibly know whether this jibes well with the information therein, but these are the explanations I've come up with

With what I've read so far, nothing in the novel conflicts with the explanation you've created for your world. And you do get to see that Alusair temper in action once again....
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  10:07:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's a great explanation Garen, and certainly one that holds sway in "my" Cormyr - as of now.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  11:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm most glad to hear it, George.

And, having finished my reading of the novel in one of my fabled "between dinner and dawn" cover to cover readings, I can now reveal my delight in the storytelling, the happenings in Cormyr, and the surprises for even those of us who know the Forest Kingdom quite well-even those of us who aren't saluted and thanked as "lords of lore." ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000