Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adventuring Charters (besides Cormyr)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2023 :  17:03:18  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anytime I look for chartering an adventuring company, I always find information on Cormyr.

But I'm wondering how other regions/nations handle adventurers and whether or not they charter them.

Obviously chartering is a form of regulation for governments in Faerun, and I assume they have more privileges than a non-sanctioned group.

I have a player who is running a Paladin of Mystra in a campaign we're running and they're situated in the Duchy of Daggerford, with Daggerford as their home base. There's four others in the party, and the paladin wants to go to the government of Daggerford and create their adventuring company officially and be recognized as such.

What exactly would be the generic process for this? Does the player even need to do this, or can they just run around declaring themselves? I guess what I'm saying is, the paladin player wants to "go by the books" and to stay within the laws of the land.

The only thing I can think of is the player goes to the courts of Daggerford bureaucracy and signs documents to register themselves as an adventuring band in town.

What's a typical cost of this? I doubt it's free. Are there any other prerequisites the group would have to have? What sort of privileges would an officially recognized band receive?

Does Daggerford not care much to regulate adventurers at all? Do most places?

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2023 :  17:39:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You always find information on Cormyr because Cormyr is the only place that grants charters to adventurers. Other lands outlaw them, or don't regulate them at all, or have other legal systems for controlling them and/or registering them. (This lore comes from Ed.)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2023 :  00:14:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

You always find information on Cormyr because Cormyr is the only place that grants charters to adventurers. Other lands outlaw them, or don't regulate them at all, or have other legal systems for controlling them and/or registering them. (This lore comes from Ed.)

So very good to see you Lady!

As for the question, is it that many lands see adventurers as mercenaries for hire and regulate them that way?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2023 :  10:02:13  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beside Cormyr, there's also the right to use magic in Athkatla. I was thinking about that some time ago. The conclusion I came to was that charters make a lot of sense to keep track of important players, but are completely useless if the state is unable to enforce them. In a "points of light" setting, few city-states have the resources to enforce their laws outside their walls. So contrary to reality, we are in the situation where the only way to stop a "bad guy with a spell" actually is a "good guy with a spell". If you cannot enforce the law, then a charter would only make things harder for law-abiding types, without doing anything to stop bandits.

But again, I do think charters are a good idea, even in such weak city-states. The solution is to make charters more of a carrot than the lack thereof a stick. If no one can prevent people from using magic, no point in outlawing it, just have your watchmen go after the people who use it for evil. On the other hand, chartered heroes would be allowed to access high-ranking officials and demand reasonable resources.

Edited by - Athreeren on 10 Oct 2023 05:16:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2023 :  01:28:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The lovely Lady Hooded One returns!

You've been missed, O Flirty One!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2023 :  23:30:28  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Athreeren

Cormy

Typographical error or not, that is a funny nickname for the region (pronounced cor-ME, I assume?).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2023 :  02:43:58  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for answering lovely THO!
Go to Top of Page

Vinzor Burrow
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2023 :  15:13:36  Show Profile Send Vinzor Burrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your paladin/party can gain enough importance to Daggerford, then maybe it could be sold as a special forces arm of the Daggerford military.

Signed,
Vinzor Burrow of Chavyondat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000