Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 In depth maps of the dalelands? (or all of Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DewnMoutain
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2023 :  02:43:48  Show Profile Send DewnMoutain a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hey there,

im wondering if anyone knows of where i could find some highly detailed maps of the dalelands? When i was planning my Metallica campaign, i decided to start the adventure in the Dalelands, and am currently thinking id have the entire campaign take place in the greater dalelands area. Only problem is, the maps i have found online show just the hot spots of the dales. But, when i was first figuring out where the game would take place, i came across the country of Halruaa. I found the Forgotten Realms wiki, and upon reading the webpage, i noticed that there was an awesome 1e or 2e map. but going to the dalelands webpage on the wiki, it just shows what id assume to be the 4th ed map, but it again only has the hot spots.

map of Halruaa found next to the geography tab for reference.https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Halruaa

and by that token, does anyone know if there is a repository of realm maps? can be any edition, but prefer 1, 2, and 3. Love the old school look.

thanks much.

Yes, i am a Blacksmith

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2023 :  19:37:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to google the name "Markustay".

He is/was one of the great scribes here at Candlekeep (although he has been conspicuously absent from the keep for some time now).

And he is/was one of the foremost cartographers of the Realms. Many other esteemed scribes and masters at the keep - including some of WotC's own game designers and authors - have, on occasion, consulted Markustay (or his maps) to locate things in the Realms.

Not every place found on M's maps is necessarily found in the Realms. And not every place found in the Realms can be found on M's maps. But I'm of the *opinion* that his maps are basically the closest thing to "canon" and authority that you'll find not published by TSR/WotC (if that's something which concerns you).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Oct 2023 19:41:12
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2023 :  23:38:51  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay is pretty much on Deviant Art these days. Here's a link...

https://www.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2023 :  04:41:57  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These days it is Werthead who is making the most detailed maps of the Realms. I was not able to find a map of the Dalelands, but his general map of Faerūn does detail that area and could be a good starting point.

Also, have you looked at the map with the pins on the wiki?
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2023 :  01:19:40  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from the 1993 Dalelands supplement, there is a good "old school" map in the 2e Forgotten Realms box set (both the 1993 original and the 1996 revised re-release).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2023 :  18:07:41  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also this map by Handsome Rob

http://www.pvpchamps.com/TorilMap.zip

another version:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/map-of-faerun-60629576

Edited by - Marc on 02 Nov 2023 18:13:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page