Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Watercourse Trilogy by Philip Athans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  21:38:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My copy of Annihilation listed this new trilogy by Philip Athans that is set to start in November of 2005.

Has anyone heard any details about the trilogy yet be it here or on the WOTC messageboard?

Additionally, to the resourceful people that got a Lisa Smedman thread started, is there any chance some attempt could be made to see if Philip Athans is at all interested in having his own author's thread within Candlekeep?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can assist with either query.

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  21:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can tell you that Phil really dislikes message boards (they have been less than kind to him in the past), so I doubt he'd be interested, but I will mention to him that some folks are inquiring and see what he says. I'll also try to find out what, if anything, he'd be willing to pass along about his new trilogy.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  21:59:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

I can tell you that Phil really dislikes message boards (they have been less than kind to him in the past), so I doubt he'd be interested, but I will mention to him that some folks are inquiring and see what he says. I'll also try to find out what, if anything, he'd be willing to pass along about his new trilogy.

Thomas

In reading his author's page at the WOTC site, I got the impression he was a bit private and unlikely to engage in message board chat. However, I had to ask/try.

Thank you for passing along any information to/from him. I am sorry to hear that he had an unpleasant experience in the past. Unfortunately, he's not alone.

Thank you again.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  01:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Annihilation is out already? That's almost a month ahead of schedule.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  01:58:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feiht

Annihilation is out already? That's almost a month ahead of schedule.

I always heard it was coming out in July. What date did you hear?
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  04:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had seen July 28. I know i have seen books come out a week earlier, but if it's out now, that's a whole month early.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  04:39:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feiht

I had seen July 28. I know i have seen books come out a week earlier, but if it's out now, that's a whole month early.

I've seen various July dates from different online sources for Annihilation. Lady of Poison was a July release and it's been out for over a week now. For the most part, WOTC's FR novels do come out earlier than scheduled. I for one appreciate that a great deal since we have a number of series/trilogy that are keeping fans eager with anticipation.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  17:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas

I can understand Phil's feelings about them. When he made a brief appearance in the WotC boards, some morons went and bashed him about his Baldur's Gate novelisations, which were good imo. He didn't made any appearances after that.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  18:14:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril
I can understand Phil's feelings about them. When he made a brief appearance in the WotC boards, some morons went and bashed him about his Baldur's Gate novelisations, which were good imo. He didn't made any appearances after that.

I thought that was the setting and the topic as I had viewed some less than polite discussion about those novels. I just didn't know he got caught up in one of those threads.

Sigh...really sorry to hear that.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  19:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I suspected, Phil's not really interested in coming online himself and participating in discussions, but he did pass along this tidbit about his upcoming Watercourse Trilogy. He says: "The trilogy tells of one man's efforts to build a canal that will at last link the Sea of Fallen Stars and the great western oceans. Powerful forces line up to both oppose and support him, with the citizens and leaders of the city-state of Innarlith caught in the middle."

So there you go.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  19:39:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I suspected, Phil's not really interested in coming online himself and participating in discussions, but he did pass along this tidbit about his upcoming Watercourse Trilogy. He says: "The trilogy tells of one man's efforts to build a canal that will at last link the Sea of Fallen Stars and the great western oceans. Powerful forces line up to both oppose and support him, with the citizens and leaders of the city-state of Innarlith caught in the middle."

So there you go.

Thomas

Thomas Reid:

Thank you for passing along the information from Mr. Athans. I more than understand his desire not to participate in any online discussion.

Your tidbit sounds very, very interesting. I imagine a great deal of political manuevering will be involved. I hope so as I love seeing scenes like that. If I can trouble you to pass along one more message, please tell Philip Athans to....Write Faster....and get the release date moved up for the first novel.

Thanks again for taking the time to share this information.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  10:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really looking forward to the Watercourse Trilogy. At least the event in that is more mundane than the current Realms-shattering events.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  12:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm interesting

Although it does seem rather odd as to why someone would build a Canal instead of a Ship sized portal (which we know a capable of being built ala Skullport)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  19:25:50  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both methods are very costly. If one needed to raise funds for the project it would be much easier to find investors in the canal from those who live along the future site of it. They will be in the enviable position of being able to charge tolls and enrich themselves through catering to those passing through. A canal means a lot of money can be made.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  19:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. A canal would encourage trade all along its route -- taverns, inns, bargewrights, warehouses, porters, etc. Plus tolls, as Sarta said.

As for a portal... I see that only happening in places where there's no alternatives. Portals would certainly facilitate trade, but it can be cheaper to load a bunch of stuff in a wagon or barge and go the long way, as opposed to building a portal.

Also, portals are magical. Anyone can load up a wagon or barge full of trade goods, but there's a relatively small number of mages who can create portals.

Not only that, but portals being magical means that any sufficiently powerful wizard can either totally block your portal, destroy it, or even misdirect it. With magic not being universally trusted, how many merchants are going to entrust hundreds or thousands of gold pieces worth of merchandise to a system that a single person could subvert?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  00:35:18  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...

Phil Athans intrigues me - he's been an editor type in FR/D&D novels for a long time, and tried his hand at the rather touchy subject of writing Baldur's Gate novels - apparently succeeding, if not by using all the options offered to him by the game.

And now he plans to write a novel about something so very low-key and unnexpected. I'm very intrigued. If I have read the amount of FR novels I want to by then, I may have to pick up the first in the series.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  04:31:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
And now he plans to write a novel about something so very low-key and unnexpected. I'm very intrigued.

Exactly, the subject matter for this trilogy is something I never would have expected from an FR novel. Thus, I really am looking forward to seeing how this story is presented and definitely will be purchasing a copy of the first book.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  05:52:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
And now he plans to write a novel about something so very low-key and unnexpected. I'm very intrigued.

Exactly, the subject matter for this trilogy is something I never would have expected from an FR novel. Thus, I really am looking forward to seeing how this story is presented and definitely will be purchasing a copy of the first book.

And, of course, to the Canal Builder PrC that is sure to follow, right?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  05:56:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
And, of course, to the Canal Builder PrC that is sure to follow, right?

Oh no, I should have seen that coming. What's sad is the minute I read that I got this art image of an FR figure with a Star Elf type headgear on and a shovel in hand. Shudder. Thanks WR.
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  06:58:38  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh no, I should have seen that coming. What's sad is the minute I read that I got this art image of an FR figure with a Star Elf type headgear on and a shovel in hand. Shudder. Thanks WR.

I can see the job posting now: "Looking for people will lightsources fused to forehead. Those who lack this need not apply."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  14:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just looking at the 3ed map of the FR

It wouldnt take much of canal to connect the 2 seas especially if they use the existing river system.

You could enter the mouth of the Nagaflow near Nimpeth travel up river to the Nagaflow lake then connect the river bend south of the Goldern plains to the bay north of Innarlith although it would be a right royal pain in the arse, at the Lake of Steam end youve got Innarlith a city ruled by Cyricists at the Sea of Fallen stars end close to the exit is Arrabar a city the Banite Zhentarim intend on taking over (and given Arrabars current rulers its quite likely he would join the Zhents) then theres the Water Nagas who rule the southern edge of the lake and judging by the FRC are very territorial.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  14:31:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
You could enter the mouth of the Nagaflow near Nimpeth travel up river to the Nagaflow lake then connect the river bend south of the Goldern plains to the bay north of Innarlith although it would be a right royal pain in the arse, at the Lake of Steam end youve got Innarlith a city ruled by Cyricists at the Sea of Fallen stars end close to the exit is Arrabar a city the Banite Zhentarim intend on taking over (and given Arrabars current rulers its quite likely he would join the Zhents) then theres the Water Nagas who rule the southern edge of the lake and judging by the FRC are very territorial.

Yes, after I found Innarlith on the map, I read how many groups seem to have a presence in that area. That fact should make for an interesting read as the story plays out.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  14:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Yes, after I found Innarlith on the map, I read how many groups seem to have a presence in that area. That fact should make for an interesting read as the story plays out.

and thats just the Evil people who will oppose it

I cant see the Emerald Enclave leting it go through either. after all if they build a canal from the river to the LAke of steam then its going to cut the flow of water of the river (As water will flow out the canal into the the lake of steam instead of flowing through to the Sea of Fallen stars, its possiable that the NAgawater lake may shrink which would PO the Nagas and the people of Sespech

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

zauriel
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  21:17:52  Show Profile  Visit zauriel's Homepage Send zauriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i found the titles of the three upcoming novels by Phil Athans on O Love's page

Forgotten Realms - The Library

"Can you feel the thunder inside?"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  21:24:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zauriel

All three titles are also mentioned in Annihilation as well for those with that novel.
Go to Top of Page

zauriel
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  21:31:35  Show Profile  Visit zauriel's Homepage Send zauriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

All three titles are also mentioned in Annihilation as well for those with that novel.

So, why haven't you posted them? ;)

"Can you feel the thunder inside?"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So, why haven't you posted them? ;)

I was too busy starting this thread in the hopes of charming some information out of anyone with additional details about the new trilogy.

As everyone can see, my charm has its limits.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  22:44:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was too busy starting this thread in the hopes of charming some information out of anyone with additional details about the new trilogy.

As everyone can see, my charm has its limits.

Ain't that the truth!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000