Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Mel Odom's Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  07:42:57  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone,

I've got Mel Odom's book 1 and book 2 of the Threat From The Sea (I think) trilogy. Apparently though, book 4 of the series is a collection of short stories from the characters involved in the main story.

What I want to know is, Im planning on buying book 3 at least, and I just want to know if anyone has read the compilation and knows whether its worth it, or whether I should get something else?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  15:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

I've got Mel Odom's book 1 and book 2 of the Threat From The Sea (I think) trilogy. Apparently though, book 4 of the series is a collection of short stories from the characters involved in the main story.

That's not completely accurate; the short stories in the anthology--known as Realms of the Deep--were all written by different authors. The list includes Lynn Abbey, Elaine Cunningham, Peter Archer, Ed Greenwood, Richard Lee Byers, Mel himself, Troy Denning, Larry Hobbs, Steven E. Schend, Keith Francis Strohm, and me. Though they revolve around the events of Mel's trilogy, they don't necessarily include his characters.

quote:
What I want to know is, Im planning on buying book 3 at least, and I just want to know if anyone has read the compilation and knows whether its worth it, or whether I should get something else?

Well, my very biased answer is, of course you should buy it!

Seriously, my opinions of my own work notwithstanding, it's got some wonderful short stories by some very talented authors, and if you enjoy Mel's trilogy, you will almost certainly enjoy the anthology.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  16:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of late, the anthologies tie in with the Realms event of the time. As Thomas correctly mentioned, these stories are merely based on the event rather than spin-off stories of the characters. The anthology isn't necessary to wrap up the trilogy and the story.

The same is the case with Realms of Shadow - associated with the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy, and Realms of Dragons - associated with The Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy. I assume the trend will continue as the last three anthologies have been trilogy linked.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  13:41:30  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies. I only remember reading I think at the end of book two about the collection of short stories. I knew it had something to do with the trilogy, wasn't sure if it was time, characters or story. So thanks for clearing that up

I have read the first two about 6 times each now though, so it's high time I get to it and read the third. As for the collection of short stories, when an author personally answers my thread, how could I possibly not go out and get it. Hopefully it will be delivered soon.

Thanks again!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  17:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

As for the collection of short stories, when an author personally answers my thread, how could I possibly not go out and get it. Hopefully it will be delivered soon.

Glad to be able to help! Hope you enjoy the anthology.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000