Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Campaign Setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  20:00:14  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello

ive been looking around and i have claimed this to be the best forum for the forgotton realms and i was wondering how do you think i should start a campaign. Cause i have used the setting a bar or on the road or at a festivel but i wanna be more creative my next game so i was wondering where should i start a game?

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  20:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a few questions. Are you planning on an overall theme or story for your game? Or are you having it just be a bunch of adventures that are loosely connected? I think that makes a big difference as to how to start things. Do you have a first adventure in mind? Is it one you made up? Are there any restrictions on your characters? If you want to start the adventure in, say, Cormyr, then you could always restrict all the characters to being from the country of Cormyr.

Perhaps it is good to think about the overall theme of your game and that can help fill in the little details.

Also, where abouts in Afgh. are you? Are you us military?
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  20:28:01  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im planning on a overall theme but i need a setting mainly ohhh and the afganistan thing was just a joke

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  00:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that what the overall theme can also help decide how to start the adventure, too. If you want to have some sort of "save the homeland" campaign, then it would be good to have everyone from the same spot. If you want variety in your game, it might be good to have it start in a crossroads town.

Personally, I like to work with each character and bring them to the starting town. I had one set in Scardale and each character came there on his or her own. There was a female mercenary from the Vilhon Reach that was fleeing family problems and decided to travel to the barbaric north. Another was an elven mage from Deepingdale who was ready to seek adventure in the local area. The halfling thief was fleeing a bad reputation in Sembia and wanted to hide in the relative sticks of the Dalelands. The craziest was a jungle elf from Chult who was captured by slavers. He travelled all the way to the Old Empires and was on board a slaver ship attacked by Cormyrean Freesails. They freed the barbaric elf and helped him get set up. When an old friend of on old sea salt needed help in Scardale, he sent the young elfling there. Now, once they were all there, I did have them meet in a tavern, but what brought them to that tavern was the interesting part.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000