Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Avariel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  21:30:23  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to find out everything I can about Avariel.

There can be only one.

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  22:44:26  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have wings, they are related to Elves(their deity is in the Elven Pantheon), they are listed in the RoF book. Hey, its a start.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  22:44:58  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aravis did some fine work collating everything to be found on them. You can find it here: http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2326

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  23:52:15  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Races of Toril 2nd or 3rd Edition?

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  23:54:31  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it true that they use gnome aging tables and have a -2 to Dexterity and +2 to Constitution? (2nd Edition)

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  00:34:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aragorn II

Is Races of Toril 2nd or 3rd Edition?

Races of Faerûn is a 3E book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  04:40:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want to find out everything I can about Avariel.

That race has their own star now. Check out an Avariel character in Richard Lee Byer's The Rage and in his short story within Dragon #320.
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  05:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also an NPC in Baldur’s Gate 2 named Aerie. She was a “wingless” Avariel (Her wings had been cut off by her master when she was a slave). She spends most of the game telling (or whining depending on your point of view ) about her ordeal and life being a wingless elf. Not much written on her but you can see her 2E stats here.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/encounters/npcs/aerie/

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 16 Jun 2004 05:25:53
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  05:28:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

There was also an NPC in Baldur’s Gate 2 named Aerie.

The computer game? Are they even canon?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Other novels that feature avariel, albeit in brief appearances include Evermeet: Island of Elves (very briefly) and Heirs of Prophecy.
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  05:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

The computer game? Are they even canon?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tethtoril starts going purple around the gills.

Aaaiiiigggghhh! *WHACK*

Don't even joke about that. Tethtoril will get you and your fingers and toes too ...

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  15:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SiriusBlack wrote: "That race has their own star now. Check out an Avariel character in Richard Lee Byer's The Rage"

Can someone post more information on this? Is the Avariel in The Rage from the Aerie of the Snow Eagles? Any general or specific information on this character and his role would be immensely appreciated. With lot's of overtime work and trying to run a campaign, I no longer have the time to read the novels :(. Anyway... thanks for the info guys! :)

Edited by - Arravis on 16 Jun 2004 15:18:43
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  15:25:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arravis
Can someone post more information on this? Is the Avariel in The Rage from the Aerie of the Snow Eagles?

Taegan Nightwind is, if I recall correctly, originally from The Earthwood. You first encounter him in the novel running a salle in Lyrabar. In the end the thing to remember is he's not a knight, but just an avariel.

Readers of the novel should enjoy that last comment.
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  21:39:44  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is their manueverability class?

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  22:16:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is their manueverability class?

From Races of Faerun, pg. 32

quote:

Avariels have a flying speed of 50 feet with average manueverability, as long as they do not carry more than Medium load, are not wearing Heavy armor, and are not fatigued or exhausted.

Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  20:35:05  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no, no. Maneuverability class as in A, B, C, D, or E. Come on people. Second Edition.

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  20:47:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, no, no. Maneuverability class as in A, B, C, D, or E. Come on people. Second Edition.

Complete Book of Elves from 2e says C.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any modifications to stats (2nd Edition)

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  21:39:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Please forgive this lowly scribe for not quickly giving you the information you desired in the proper format. I can only hope you forgive my lapse of manners.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  00:18:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aragorn: Have you ever thanked any of the sages who have helped you out?

(Please note, this will be the last post that communicates with aragorn II, after a certain incident)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  01:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basic courtesy will get you far more knowledge than demanding irritability. Most sages and scribes in these halls prefer to be treated with respect. Anything less will be met with closed scrolls and a very irritated Tethtoril.

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  15:17:14  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very sorry for being ungrateful and rude to you guys when you gave me information. I also thank you all for the information and links you have supplied.

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  19:16:42  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How were Avariel created?

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  19:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't beleive that's really been covered by any of the sources... they seem to have come with the original migration of elves. So they're probably not a "hybrid" sort of creature.
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  19:46:25  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Avariel are a complex Race. Ive read a book (dun remember which) that talked about how the Avariel were close to extinction because of a disease that destroyed thier wings completly. also they have been known to been a precious rare thing to sell too as slaves to kings and lords.

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  21:19:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001

The Avariel are a complex Race. Ive read a book (dun remember which) that talked about how the Avariel were close to extinction because of a disease that destroyed thier wings completly.

Please let me know if you can recall the source for this information.

quote:

also they have been known to been a precious rare thing to sell too as slaves to kings and lords.

That theme is touched upon briefly in Lisa Smedman's aforementioned novel, Heirs of Prophecy.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 08 Jul 2004 21:21:21
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  21:36:26  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no prob sirius ill try finding the book

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  21:43:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001

no prob sirius ill try finding the book

Thank you. It sounds interesting so I look forward to hearing more if you are successful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000