Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forsaken House (The Last Mythal Book I) Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  17:51:49  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we've been having a lot of epic in the past few months, that's what I think. The bad thing is, it's not for the better either.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  03:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this book a couple days ago and wanted to say something about it. First of all this was an awesome book it covers something that I've been wanting to read about for a while now. Needless to say I can't wait for the rest of the series!

The main thing I wanted to say is I absolutely love the description of the Wood Elves. I know they don't get much attention here but its more than they have gotten in a lot of other books. For example in Elaine's books, which I loved as well but I kept saying to myself "what about the Wood Elves? where are they in all this?".
Anyway, I love the generic description of the Wood Elves being optomistic and good natured getting along well with all the other good aligned races laughing, joking, and encouraging them whether other elves, humans, or even dwarves. Also of course I loved Gaerradh the female bow slinging, dual hand-axe weilding, Wood Elf ranger of the High Forest! I sure can't wait to read more about her as well

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 30 Aug 2004 03:26:19
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  11:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Wood Elf Ranger! Gaerradh was one of my favorite characters in the book. I loved her opening scene, just perfect

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  14:47:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I agree, Wood Elf Ranger! Gaerradh was one of my favorite characters in the book. I loved her opening scene, just perfect

She also seems to be growing very fond of a certain Chosen's son.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  16:53:29  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here think if the dwarves of Mithral Hall will show up? After all, they are part of the whole Silver Marches. It would be pretty cool to read about the Company of the Hall coming to aid the Wood Elves.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  17:39:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Does anyone here think if the dwarves of Mithral Hall will show up? After all, they are part of the whole Silver Marches. It would be pretty cool to read about the Company of the Hall coming to aid the Wood Elves.

I, personally, wouldn't expect it. I've noticed a lot of Realms authors have a tendency to not really play with someone else's work -- and RAS has been the primary author when it comes to Mithral Hall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  18:17:43  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really wouldn't be considered playing with someone else's work in this situation, would it? I mean, this isn't a novel focused on Mithril Hall or actually having a huge impact on them. I was just wondering if they would provide some assistance, kinda like the Iron Guard that was sent from Citadel Adbar to assist the elves.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  19:19:41  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a larger problem here is that RAS's last book is coming out after Forsaken House. They don't want to mix and mingle the story line, and with Mithiril Hall under siege in RAS's series, there may not be anyone to loan out. I can't remember the time period for RAS's books, so they may take place several months or even years apart. Does anyone else know?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  22:46:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hammer, I don't think RAS actually gives the date of his books like some of the other FR authors.

However, I went to Forgotten Realms - The Library and it said that the Hunter's Blade trilogy took place in 1371.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  00:23:27  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that gives us three years between the two. Yet, we still don't know how bad Mithril Hall gets it, and RAS's trilogy takes place before Forsaken House so they may still be recovering. Most likely they are just keeping the author concepts separate. Although, it is cool to see a mention of other characters, stories, etc. when reading another book to make it all feel like one big happy Realms.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  05:48:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

So that gives us three years between the two. Yet, we still don't know how bad Mithril Hall gets it, and RAS's trilogy takes place before Forsaken House so they may still be recovering. Most likely they are just keeping the author concepts separate. Although, it is cool to see a mention of other characters, stories, etc. when reading another book to make it all feel like one big happy Realms.

I'll be very surprised to see any of RAS' characters appear in this trilogy. However, hop on over to Richard Baker's thread and ask him directly. I'm sure he'll provide some information if possible.
Go to Top of Page

Absolution
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2004 :  00:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Absolution's Homepage Send Absolution a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm new to these boards. I used to play AD&D when it was still the 2nd edition. But for the past 6-7 years I've only been reading the forgotten realms novels. I've almost read them all. And I've got to say that Forsaken House is truly one of the best I've read among the whole bunch. So kuddos to Mr. Baker.

SPOILERS
So at the end of Forsaken House we know that Lady Dlardrageth is headed to Myth Drannor. At the end of the book, Malkizid says the following :

"But ... there are other mythals you might turn to your purposes.

(to which Sarya answers : Myth Drannor)
(Malkizid then continues)

I have no ability to manipulate the mythal of cormanthor, for I am not an elf. However, with your elf's blood and my knowledge of mythalcraft, we could accomplish far more in Myth Drannor than you could in Myth Glaurach."

But we also know that mythals can't be altered without the agreement of those who created it in the first place.

I don't have my books with me but I think that in one of the Elminster novels, we learned that he participated in the creation of the Myth Drannor mythal. Am I correct about this ? Can someone confirm this ?

So I'm wondering if there's an explanation as to why Sarya could manipulate the Myth Drannor's mythal without Elminster approval ? Could it be that Elminster's participation was too minor or is it possible Richard Baker is making a mistake ?
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  22:20:14  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm I think you may be correct in saying that Elminster had a part in the raising of Myth Drannor's mythal.But I don't think Sarya was manipulating the mythal so much as she was adding her own little twists to it.If I am correct,Aeravin went in and changed all of her additions to the mythal.Then again I could be totally wrong.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  00:19:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If one had the spells to do it, like Araevin, then it's possible to change a mythal. I suspect that Malkizid would probably provide a way for Sarya to manipulate the mythal. Also, wasn't it mentioned in Forsaken House that if a mythal is abandoned for a long period of time, someone with knowledge and power could come and use it?

Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  13:15:01  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damnation, my book will arrive in more than a week !!
I can't wait to get my hand on it.
P.S. is there a description of Malkizid somewhere in the book ??
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  15:30:26  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no real description of Malkizid, because he is just a voice in a stone in Forsaken House. The book didn't actually reveal much about him either.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  15:32:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Damnation, my book will arrive in more than a week !!
I can't wait to get my hand on it.
P.S. is there a description of Malkizid somewhere in the book ??

In the novel? Not that I recall....he's very much presented as a mysterious figure aiding Sarya.
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  17:36:28  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot !
I've been trying to get any info from Rich, but he is immune to my pleas. The only info I managed to obtain is that he will appear "soon, but not in Ancient Empires" and "perhaps in a product that deals with the darker side of Faerun"

Thanks once more !!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  23:55:41  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks a lot !
I've been trying to get any info from Rich, but he is immune to my pleas. The only info I managed to obtain is that he will appear "soon, but not in Ancient Empires" and "perhaps in a product that deals with the darker side of Faerun"

Thanks once more !!

"A product that deals with the darker side of Faerun"? Don't we have one already? Damn... I can just see a Lord of Darkness II being written write now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  00:41:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks a lot !

Thanks once more !!

"A product that deals with the darker side of Faerun"? Don't we have one already? Damn... I can just see a Lord of Darkness II being written write now.

It's prolly that "Fiends of Faerūn" book that's been mentioned a couple of times (that's not the name, so far as I know, that's just something to call it).

Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  00:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First time poster, so be gentle.

In regards to Elminster and the mythal of Myth Drannor, yes Elminster took part in the creation of it as per the novel Elminster in Myth Drannor. Wether that will impact Sarya's ability to manipulate the mythal will have to be seen.

As to Elminster's involvement in future books in the series, I really don't see how it could be avoided. I really can't imagine an army of demon-spawned elves entering Myth Drannor and causing the inevitable ruckus therein without agents of Shadowdale getting involved. Afterall, it is practically their back yard, and win or lose said army would be a threat to Shadowdale. Do you see Sarya leaving Shadowdale unmolested, considering it's strategic value as a staging area for any army wanting to do battle within Myth Drannor?

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm way off base, so take it as you will.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  01:39:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aginor37

No worries, we're always gentle with the new scribes. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  03:13:14  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In regards to Elminster and the mythal of Myth Drannor, yes Elminster took part in the creation of it as per the novel Elminster in Myth Drannor. Wether that will impact Sarya's ability to manipulate the mythal will have to be seen.

As to Elminster's involvement in future books in the series, I really don't see how it could be avoided. I really can't imagine an army of demon-spawned elves entering Myth Drannor and causing the inevitable ruckus therein without agents of Shadowdale getting involved. Afterall, it is practically their back yard, and win or lose said army would be a threat to Shadowdale. Do you see Sarya leaving Shadowdale unmolested, considering it's strategic value as a staging area for any army wanting to do battle within Myth Drannor?

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm way off base, so take it as you will.

I agree with you about Elminster's involvement. Messing around with a mythal and not having the attention of the Chosens of Mystra is quite a tough feat to do. However, I don't think the Sage of Shadowdale himself will get involved because he sweared to the Simbul that he will cut back on his involvment of matters in the Realms. It's more likely that Elminster would send some agents or contact friends of his to drive out the daemonfey. For example, he might ask Lord Mourngrym to do it as you said, it is Shadowdale's backyard.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  05:17:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree with you about Elminster's involvement. Messing around with a mythal and not having the attention of the Chosens of Mystra is quite a tough feat to do. However, I don't think the Sage of Shadowdale himself will get involved because he sweared to the Simbul that he will cut back on his involvment of matters in the Realms. It's more likely that Elminster would send some agents or contact friends of his to drive out the daemonfey. For example, he might ask Lord Mourngrym to do it as you said, it is Shadowdale's backyard.

Elminster's non-involvement could be explained by the fact that Mythals are governed by High Magic, which is of Corellon's portfolio's not Mystra's... yes, Elminster participated, but this was more an act of peace and inclusion by the elves towards the human race. I don't think Elminster has a connection with the Mythal... I'd like to think not, anyhow, and I'd like to think of his involvement as a "back seat Member of Parliament effort" and not a "cabinet minister assignment."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  17:25:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've mentioned this before but in Paul S. Kemp's Dawn of Night, the antagonist Vhostym needed something to power his Weave Tap. He was thinking about where he would get such a large and powerful source. In the end, he had chosen Skullport over Myth Drannor because he did not want to attract the attention of THE CHOSENS OF MYSTRA. If a basically unknown gith mage who has been living underground for 10000 years is worried about drawing attention from usage of a mythal, what do you think will happen if an army of daemonfey and demons invade Myth Drannor?

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reaction to the novel:

Gorgeous. You had me hooked from the first few pages (not the least of it being that it had Yugoloths kicking the tails of a bunch of primes. But I digress.)

Sarya makes for a great villain and she's very well characterized, I seriously like her.

I'm only about 100 pages in at the moment, but should finish it in the next day or two. Been very much enjoying it so far.

On Malkizid: while he's listed as a devil prince in PGtF, I have to ask if that was something of a misnomer to call him/her/it. Given that Malkizid is working along with a half Tanar'ri elf, half balor no less, and giving her tools to summon and bind both Tanar'ri and Yugoloths to aid her goals it seems a bit at odds with that prior designation. I'm not complaining, but it's got me thinking the PGtF was either an error, or the term was used in a broad sense but not to imply that he/she/it was a Baatezu noble, or that there's something deeper going on.

Personally I'd adore it if Malkazid turned out to be a Yugoloth. But hey, I'm biased here. Oh so biased.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  15:26:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This novel finally hit my shores this week and I snapped it up instantly. Boy, am I glad I did. IMHO this is the best FR novel in a heck of a long time and goes to show that you can write in the Realms in an epic fashion without having to kill gods, destroy cities/towns or kill off major NPCs. After reading the battle scenes in this book, I wish that Rich had written the "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy - he's left Troy Denning for dead as an FR novelist. Way to go, Rich. Very impressed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  16:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with George Krashos. This is the best FR novel I've read in several years. In fact, it has renewed my interest in FR, elves and Dungeons & Dragons. I especially liked that Mr. Baker managed to write epic battles, yet not have those battles give off the 'total magic overload' feeling I had when reading the Return of the Archwizards novels (that, and the rank-and-file of the good guys actually being able to hit their opponents, in opposite to RotA, where it seemed only the Chosen of Mystra could do damage).
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  05:00:13  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... does anyone have the stats for Captain Fflar? In the book, he's really powerful; this hero of the elves slaughtering demons left and right. I just wanna know what his level is...

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  08:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He could be a celestial or even some type of deathless since he was brought back to life. Personally I would think he would be level 20 or above, he is a very epic character

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000