Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forsaken House (The Last Mythal Book I) Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  20:29:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Panador
I think it's kinda... convenient that Araevin has a Dlargareth among his ancestors without even knowing it, though, that's quite a coincidence.

I like it as it shows that even the most noble families have a tie back to this fallen House.

quote:

btw. Why is (mother of Galaeron Nihmedu) stated at 'Lady Morgwais' at the end of the book? Galaeron wasn't mentioned even once in Forsaken House although he's been the main character in Return of Archwizards, so why mention him there?

Probably just to give a notice to people's memory that she is that Lady from the aforementioned series.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  21:09:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think Malkizid's some deity, deities are supposed to know everything or at least a whole lot and Malkizid didn't have a clue who Araevin was and in which kind of relationship he had with Sarya.

He can't be a god, going by the Player's Guide, where he is mentioned. Since he is an archdevil, so he probably lives in the Nine Hells, and in the Nine Hells there are no deities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  22:39:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

I don't think Malkizid's some deity, deities are supposed to know everything or at least a whole lot and Malkizid didn't have a clue who Araevin was and in which kind of relationship he had with Sarya.

He can't be a god, going by the Player's Guide, where he is mentioned. Since he is an archdevil, so he probably lives in the Nine Hells, and in the Nine Hells there are no deities.

He's mentioned in there? I shall have to check that out when I get home...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  23:50:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
He's mentioned in there? I shall have to check that out when I get home...

Page 189 just in case you start looking for it. Under the Archfiends and Paragons section.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  03:40:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Page 189 just in case you start looking for it. Under the Archfiends and Paragons section.

What does it say?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  04:14:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

What does it say?

"Outsider devil princes (Kuje's Text: BTW that should be Archdevils!) include Gargauth (now a god) and Malkizid."

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  04:31:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Outsider devil princes (Kuje's Text: BTW that should be Archdevils!) include Gargauth (now a god) and Malkizid."

Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  05:29:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that the folk at WotC wouldn't have mentioned a new archfiend out of the blue without planning to feature him/it in some way in the future. Guess we'll have to keep bugging Rich Baker.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  05:39:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it offers no more info than that... So I guess that we'll get to see him developed more as the story progresses. I can live with that.

Go to Top of Page

Panador
Acolyte

Austria
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  06:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Panador's Homepage Send Panador a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, an archdevil, k, that's quite interesting - and plausible thinking about what the Dlargareths are.

btw. What's this thing about sun elves? I've never before heard of sun elves but in Forsaken House they appear very, very often. Are they a new elf race or is Sun Elf simply another term for Gold Elf?

*Still thinking about a signature...*
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  07:12:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, an archdevil, k, that's quite interesting - and plausible thinking about what the Dlargareths are.

btw. What's this thing about sun elves? I've never before heard of sun elves but in Forsaken House they appear very, very often. Are they a new elf race or is Sun Elf simply another term for Gold Elf?

Sun elves are gold elves, aye. Just like Moon elves are silver elves.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  12:45:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just like Moon elves are silver elves.

Or Gray Elves, as long as none of them are within earshot.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  15:41:50  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished it last night. 8 out of 10. Too many demons, and now Myth Drannor will become their next base? I will only like this if in the end the elves from Evermeet conquer the Daemonfey/Fey'ri and resettle the elven ruins.
Methrammer I liked since, as was alreay mentioned, he's a smart commander, but also tough. A good leader despite his first mistake.
Rich is keeping Evermeet in the loop, so he seems to have something brewing there.
I think I may have liked it better if Araevin had known about his families ties to the fallen house. However, it does work with the way he wrote the story to have him intend to make the sacrifice to possibly save the others.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  17:39:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin
I will only like this if in the end the elves from Evermeet conquer the Daemonfey/Fey'ri and resettle the elven ruins.

I think it's a strong argument to believe that is the direction the series might be heading for a conclusion.
Go to Top of Page

Panador
Acolyte

Austria
28 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  05:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Panador's Homepage Send Panador a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope the main characters won't take too long in the next book to find out where the Daemonfey are hiding, it's quite simple: "Hm, they used a mythal to summon the demons, most likely they'll want to try it again, so they need another mythal, so where are mythals... Let's just check all the old elven cities where the mythal's still active..." "Check - nothing, next one." "Check - nothing, next one." "Check - Ah, here they are, Myth Drannor, Mythal City, here we go..."

Imo it would be quite unrealistic if the good guys were not able to figure this out. Don't get me wrong, I liked Forsaken House and I'm looking forward to the next novel in this series, but to me it seems that the daemonfey lost their wits toward the end. At the beginning they invaded a Tower in Evermeet - that's quite a feat to accomplish I think - and at the end they left their mythal more or less unguarded behind and somehow seemed... a little duller than at the beginning. I hope this changes in the next novel, nevertheless I'm looking forward to it. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  13:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Forsaken House a couple of days ago....and LOVED it!! This is one of the best FR books I have read, and just oozes Realms flavor. The usage of Realms locales and specifics is fantastic and really made sure the reader knew they were in the Realms. I put this book up with Evermeet: Island of Elves as fantastic elven novels.

Those elves of Evereska sure get a hard time, theyve hardly just recovered from the Phaerimm attack

Fantastic, cant wait for the book 2, Richard!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  15:24:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really hope the main characters won't take too long in the next book to find out where the Daemonfey are hiding, it's quite simple: "Hm, they used a mythal to summon the demons, most likely they'll want to try it again, so they need another mythal, so where are mythals... Let's just check all the old elven cities where the mythal's still active..." "Check - nothing, next one." "Check - nothing, next one." "Check - Ah, here they are, Myth Drannor, Mythal City, here we go..."

I dunno... That seems a bit too easy, to me.

Go to Top of Page

Panador
Acolyte

Austria
28 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  11:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Panador's Homepage Send Panador a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sure, but if the characters aren't halfwits and think about this they should come to this conclusion, at least I think so.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:37:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's knowing that an enemy is going to be someplace and then doing something about it. Will Severil be able to get all those fighting in his crusade to go to another location? And even if they do so, there are a few more groups in the area surrounding Myth Drannor that might have to be dealt with as well as House Dlardrageth.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:48:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention all the people and critters in Myth Drannor! Some of them would certainly work with the fey'ri, but some would work against them... It could be an interesting homecoming for House Dlardrageth.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2004 16:52:22
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Not to mention all the people and critters in Myth Drannor! Some of them would certainly work with the fey'ri, but some would work against them... It could be an interesting homecoming for House Dlardrageth.

Exactly. Is it just me or does someone need to put up a "No Occupancy" sign outside the forest?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  17:53:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Forsaken House and I thought it was really good, especially with the return of Captain Fflar (god knows we need more heroes in the Realms!) and the battles between the daemonfey and the Evereskan/Evermeet forces.

BTW, does anyone have some clues on who Malkizid is?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  18:04:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
BTW, does anyone have some clues on who Malkizid is?

Scroll up or head to page 3 where we discussed him almost a week ago. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Aug 2004 18:05:30
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  18:55:45  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Kuje.

BTW, does anyone else here feel sorry for the elves? I mean come on, first Evermeet gets attacked by Kymil and his supporters, than it's Evereska which gets devastated by the phaerrim. Now we have this little situation with the daemonfey who wants revenge on all elves.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you very much, Kuje.

BTW, does anyone else here feel sorry for the elves? I mean come on, first Evermeet gets attacked by Kymil and his supporters, than it's Evereska which gets devastated by the phaerrim. Now we have this little situation with the daemonfey who wants revenge on all elves.

Exactly! They sure have a rough time. Evereska has hardly recovered from the Phaerimm before getting hit again..Im surprised there are any elves left in the city!

Im hoping that the Year of Risen Elfkin will have some elven comeback to reclaim their lost realms and get some long overdue revenge

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  23:59:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope, they caused the Fey'ri situation and are now paying the price. Although you are right, the elves have gone through a rough period. If there was an Olympic Event for Race most kicked around by TSR/WOTC in the past decade, I think the elves would medal as would Cormyr if the spotlight turned to which nation has been kicked around the most.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  02:32:43  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely love this novel,and I'm not even finished with it yet.Though I'm not far off.Perhaps the best realms novel written in a long time.I love this group of characters,and the history behind them.Araevin not realizing he had been away for twenty years.Maresa answering Araevin's calls.Her being a genasi.I'm mean I can go on and on.I don't have the book in front of me.The other living member of the Company of the White Star.His name escapes.Does anyone think he will make an appearance in the future??

The villians are pure genius.Hands down the best villians IMO

Can this trilogy turn into another RSE???Or is it already???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  03:24:41  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the other member of the Company, Darthen, will make an appearance, especially after finding out that Grayth was killed. However, it's unlikely that he will join in the adventure, because Darthen is now a baron of some sort. I think that he might just lend his men to help Araevin against daemonfey attacks or give them a place to rest.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  04:03:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA
Can this trilogy turn into another RSE???Or is it already???

I think an could be made that the series' conclusion will produce a significant change at least for elves in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  14:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my hands on a copy a few days ago and must agree that it was a splendid read, one of the best Realms novels I've read. I think Sirius was pretty accurate in saying that it had something of an epic feel to it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000