Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Playing a Wiz/Cleric of Mystra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vikramaditya
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  15:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Vikramaditya's Homepage Send Vikramaditya a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greeting everyone..after an ill-fated attempt to play a cleric of Tymora , I'm trying to role-play a Wizard/Cleric of Mystra through the NWN SOU campaign, and into HoTU. I think the SOU campaign with it's emphasis on lost magical artifacts, and lost Netherese magic is tailor-made for a Mystran (plus your mentor is a wizard/cleric of Mystra himself!)
I've always played wizards in D&D, and would like to emphasize more on the cleric aspect of this character. I was hoping to receive some advice from the learned scribes here on how many wizard levels a cleric of Mystra needs, from a RP perspective.. Obviously an even split creates a very weak character; so I have to cap wizard levels at some point. Both the Dweomerkeeper and Mystic Theurge require 3 levels each of wizard and cleric, so would a W3/Clrxx of Mystra make sense from a RP perspective? (Neither PrCs are available in NWN, of course, but I can always RP my character as having taken a PrC) If you were the DM of a campaign with this character, would you accept him or would you consider it a munchkin build like Sor1/PalXX? Many thanks ..

Eccerion
Acolyte

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2004 :  12:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Eccerion's Homepage Send Eccerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mystic theurge PrC, in my DMs opinion, has "munchkin" written all over it.
At chracter lvl 6 (3rd cleric/3rd wizard/sorc) the PC will surly notice the multiclassing effects, but after 10 lvls of MT he`ll have, at char lvl 16, the full spellcasting abilities of a lvl 16 cleric AND a lvl 16 wizard/sorc, including the granted powers of the cleric.
Sure he`ll have to give up 3 bonus metamagic feats and a good dose of turning ability, but at lvl 16 cleric/wizard (sorc), dealing with undead wont be much of a problem, and he sure as heck can manage fine without the bonus metamagic feats.

From a Roleplaying perspective and my feelings as a DM, a cleric of Mystra is the ONLY PC I`d allow to get within smelling distance of the Mystic theurge PrC (maybe Azuth if a REALLY good argument and PC history is presented), since the flavor of PrC is comparable with Mystras dogma and the way Mystra clerics presnet themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Seluus
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  21:12:01  Show Profile Send Seluus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, something to add to this that makes this not so bad a choice of prestige classes. You can take two instances of the Practiced Spellcaster feat, which is in the Completely divine book. Take it once for Wiz, and once for Cleric, then at 6th level, you will have a casting level of 6 for each class and not 3. This is huge for SR purposes and durations ect...

The feat allows you to add your levels of another class (up to 4 levels) as caster levels in your spellcasting class. if you have two spellcasting classes, you must choose which one you want to benifit. So, for every cleric level, you add one to your wiz casting level, then for the second Practiced spellcasting feat, for every wiz level you get a cleric casting level.

It really makes a difference. Trust me. :-D

Seluus.
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2004 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
At chracter lvl 6 (3rd cleric/3rd wizard/sorc) the PC will surly notice the multiclassing effects, but after 10 lvls of MT he`ll have, at char lvl 16, the full spellcasting abilities of a lvl 16 cleric AND a lvl 16 wizard/sorc, including the granted powers of the cleric.

Not so - a Cleric 3, Wizard 3, Mystic Theurge 10 would have caster levels of 13 and 13. That's access to 7th level spells. The pure-classed Wizard or Cleric would be 16th level by that point, with 8th level spells (about to get 9th).

And now you can't progress in mystic theurge any further. So for the next two levels, you raise Cleric and Wizard to 4 each - still only at 7th level spells (whereas your counterpart has gained 9th a level ago). Raise each to 5 and you just hit 8th level spells - and that's 20th level, so you'll never be seeing 9th level spells pre-epic.

The alternative is to leave one of them at 3rd level and go with, for instance, Wizard 7, Cleric 3, Mystic Theurge 10 (caster levels of 17 and 13, or 9th and 7th level spells), which is likely more powerful.

Still, you loose out on 3 bonus feats, and enough of your familiar and turning progressions to make neither of them worthwhile. In addition, you need to have both Int and Wis as high scores (amongst other things), which could take points away from other areas you might consider important, and, if you're the type that wants to boost your casting stat with magical items, you'll need to be spending twice as much in that pursuit.

The fact that you progress so much slower than a Wizard or Cleric (you'll have a lot more spells and a lot more variety, but you'll be 1-2 spell levels behind, so your spells aren't as good) also balances it out somewhat. The lower caster level (in each class) also hurts when facing enemies with SR. You can take the Practiced Spellcaster feat (twice, even), as mentioned above, which will help deal with that - but then, you're spending another feat (or two) just to keep up with the regular Cleric or Wizard (and the latter has bonus feats, at that).

It's a good class, but not overpowered, IMHO. I still only use it for clerics of magic deities (deities with magic in their portfolio, that is), but that's for flavour reasons.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000