Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep Newsletter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  18:28:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Resent Alaundo,

Let me know if it arrives. Stupid email!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  18:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

What if we did simple slimmed down monthly issues most months but some nice "jumbo" issues quartery? Perhaps leave things that take a long time (such as artwork and fan fiction) for the jumbo issues? Just an idea.

Now I'm confused will this be open content as in we will be accepting submissions from any and all scribes of Candlekeep or is there going to be a selected staff which produces all the material?

Well met

I have put the initial offer out to a number of scribes to produce articles and such, as well as help out generally with the running of the newsletter. However, I am not closing the door on any others who wish to submit material, quite the opposite, this is an open invitation for all who have an article which they think may be useful for the publication.

Worry not, Wood Elf Ranger, if will all become clear soon enough

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  18:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message
Ahh so your just making the staff to make doubly sure these articles get included. So that way even though its open to everyone, if we don't get an article for a certain section whoever is in charge of that section will make one up themselves. Correct? That is a great way to do it.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  19:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Ahh so your just making the staff to make doubly sure these articles get included. So that way even though its open to everyone, if we don't get an article for a certain section whoever is in charge of that section will make one up themselves. Correct? That is a great way to do it.

Well met

Indeed, Wood Elf Ranger In addition, it will fall into each scribe who is responsible for that particular section to check over any submissions and see if they are suitable for the newsletter. Each section is not restricted to one item, however, the scribe running that section can also submit his or her own work, as well as submit material to other sections.

I will post a more clearer structure soon... I hope

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  19:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message
Excellent Alaundo, sounds like this idea is comming together quite nicely

I am indeed honored to be a part of this

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  20:14:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Be at ease, everyone! The Hamster is now aboard this project!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
That's it! You didn't tell me I had to work with hamsters.
It should be interesting to see our assignments, but looking at the crew, and knowing the scribes here at Candlekeep, it should be top quality.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  03:11:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Be at ease, everyone! The Hamster is now aboard this project!

I'll try to continue my enthusiasim...

- Just kidding Sage .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  03:13:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

And when would you like material ready?

Well met

Ooohh, as soon as possible, my dear Bookwyrm, as soon as possible

I will be opening up a private chamber for the newsletter staff soon, in which, we can discuss schedules and work assignments.

Err... shouldn't we wait until work has been assigned before we start preparing material?

- Questioning Sage

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  05:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

And when would you like material ready?

Well met

Ooohh, as soon as possible, my dear Bookwyrm, as soon as possible

I will be opening up a private chamber for the newsletter staff soon, in which, we can discuss schedules and work assignments.

Err... shouldn't we wait until work has been assigned before we start preparing material?

- Questioning Sage

He said that we'd be discussing work assignments soon.

In regards to that, I'm doing something on the Rage. Not so much the Realmslore of it, but . . . Realmsplay, I guess. (Hey, maybe that would be a good name for a column? )

And in regards to time, it would be nice if we had our first issue out in January -- first month, first issue. Looks good on the back archives, if we ever get that far. (Quick! We need some joint offerings to Tymora and Oghma! )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  06:27:37  Show Profile
Hey! Sage! We're interested in the same thing again...does this really surprise anyone anymore?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  07:27:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Hey! Sage! We're interested in the same thing again...does this really surprise anyone anymore?

We'll most likely have to collaborate on these articles then. Perhaps we can even expand on those earlier IM discussions we had a while back?

quote:
In regards to that, I'm doing something on the Rage. Not so much the Realmslore of it, but . . . Realmsplay, I guess. (Hey, maybe that would be a good name for a column? )

I like the name as well. Hopefully Alaundo will pick it up...

I'm not sure what I'll work on for my submission just yet. Maybe a 'current clack' fluff piece on one of the lesser known organisations in the Realms. There have been several power-groups discussed that have received little detailing besides a basic mentioning in the various FR products. It might also serve to flesh-out the setting a little more, especially in some of the least developed regions of Faerun.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2004 07:29:50
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  07:39:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

We'll most likely have to collaborate on these articles then. Perhaps we can even expand on those earlier IM discussions we had a while back?

I think so...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  12:02:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm considering running with one of a couple of things:

- A "Wyrm of the East" which is already conceptualised, but not quite written out.

- More lost swords of King Imbrar of Impiltur's fateful expedition to the Giantspire Mountains.

- Swords again, but this time not specific to Impiltur - title: "Forgotten Blades".

- Magical elixirs.

- Write-up for "Cities of the Easting Reach": in a combo FRA/FR 3E format, beginning with Telflamm and moving on to Milvarune, Lyrabar and Tsurlagol.

What do people think they'd most like to read?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  12:34:43  Show Profile
I don't suppose all five is an option?

I'd like the last four equally well-the nod would go to magical elixirs, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  14:36:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

- Write-up for "Cities of the Easting Reach": in a combo FRA/FR 3E format, beginning with Telflamm and moving on to Milvarune, Lyrabar and Tsurlagol.

I won't mind collaborating with you on this George. My next FR campaign (which will likely start early next year) is set to involve the Easting Reach for a time.

There's also a benefit to this as well... It may help me organise my ideas for the campaign and establish some truly interesting Realmslore for the region.

- Inquiring Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2004 14:39:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  15:33:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I'm considering running with one of a couple of things:

- A "Wyrm of the East" which is already conceptualised, but not quite written out.

- More lost swords of King Imbrar of Impiltur's fateful expedition to the Giantspire Mountains.

- Swords again, but this time not specific to Impiltur - title: "Forgotten Blades".

- Magical elixirs.

What do people think they'd most like to read?

-- George Krashos

Swords, elixirs, and cities, in that order.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  15:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Those of ye involved in the publication should now have received a 'map' showing how to get to the new Newsletter Chamber. Please head yonder to continue discussing the project.

I will leave this scroll open for others to discuss articles and other related matters of the newsletter. I will also write back here periodically to keep ye updated.

Thank ye.

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 21 Oct 2004 15:50:05
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  07:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Now, where is that secret knot? It's impossible to find . . . .

Ah, there we go.

[::disappears into a secret doorway behind -- what else? -- a bookcase::]

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  08:04:48  Show Profile
*exits from behind the bookcase just after Bookwyrm enters, heading back to her desk*

Has that package from the Marches arrived yet? Or any of the smaller ones?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  16:28:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I had some trouble reading my map...

Tethtoril left smudges on the parchment from the ink on his fingers... It made reading the directions very difficult

- Just kidding Sage

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  07:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
Can I get in on this newsletter project? The Sage has told me a little about what're you are all attempting to do with this. I have some ideas that I might like to further develop for inclusion, but I'd like to see what the other scribes here have come up with first.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  08:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Can I get in on this newsletter project? The Sage has told me a little about what're you are all attempting to do with this. I have some ideas that I might like to further develop for inclusion, but I'd like to see what the other scribes here have come up with first.

Well met

Certainly, Lady Kazandra. Please contact me privately with what idea's you have, whilst I draw ye up a map for the private chamber.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  21:33:12  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Hmmm... a newsletter filled with tidbits of Realmslore eh? Room for one more volunteer scribe?

Seems I've been away from these halls longer then I thought thanks to Hymn for mentioning this topic to me...
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  22:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
If there are any openings, I would love to be included. I have great skill in creating new spells and items (especially 'on the fly' as my player's will attest to, much to their chagrin! ) But anywhere I could help would be great!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  22:24:43  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
Hopefully we should be seeing the first issue in our grubby hands in the next few weeks. Haven't started on anything for issue 2, but I know I'm looking forward to reading some of the Realmslore our fellow scribes have put together.
Any estimate on a release date Al? Inquiring scribes want to know out there.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  23:25:38  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Indeed, new submissions are always welcome. We have scribes who are already assigned to regular columns for the publication but any lore is always welcome amongst the pages Please contact me personally if ye wish to discuss this further.

To answer your question, hammer of Moradin, I am awaiting a couple of articles before publication of the first issue. Nevertheless, we should see something released next month sometime.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:46:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Crack that whip, Al! I too am interested to see what the Monks of Candlekeep can come up with.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  09:12:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Crack that whip, Al! I too am interested to see what the Monks of Candlekeep can come up with.

-- George Krashos

OUCH!... ... now that one hurt... . You'll be pleased to know then, that I... one of the last holdouts for publication, am in the process of sending along my submissions to Alaundo as we speak...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  15:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

For those who have wondered about this particular project....well it has been going on behind closed doors of the inner Candlekeep chambers for many months, and we finally have the first volume of this collection of wonderful Realmslore

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all involved in this project and for the great commitment and efforts made.

Download the compendium here

Please leave any feedback or discussions on the Compendium here.

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 08 Mar 2005 15:23:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll